Former Lib Dem MP Mark Oaten takes top fur trade job

1. Just a sad person.

2. Maybe he wants to make a fur wig

3. He certainly seems to know how to make himself unpopular

4. Look at that sh*t eating smile

5. This is sick – really sick!

6. Jock S. Trap 23 Mar 2011, 4:40pm

Absolutely disgraceful.

Is this the only place offering him money these days?

7. de Villiers 23 Mar 2011, 4:56pm

Is fur meant to be bad?

1. Only on people, not on animals.

1. de Villiers 23 Mar 2011, 8:48pm

Fur is fairly common in Paris. I used to wonder why I never used to see as much in London.

2. Paddyswurds 23 Mar 2011, 9:38pm

de Villiers….you have to ask…..Thousands of fur bearing animals killed every year just so some bimbo can flounce around in a fur coat. Time to visit the abbotoir again to get some buckets of blood. Lets show them we haven’t abandoned the aimals. We made fur unwearable before we can do it again and will, be assured.

1. de Villiers 23 Mar 2011, 11:25pm

I eat meat. I wear leather. I take fois gras with sauterne. In Paris, many people wore fur.

Of course there is lots of blood in an abattoir (from the french ‘battre’). It is where animals are killed.

The difference may be cultural. I have found English people to be more sentimental about animals than the French. I have never known fur to be unwearable in Paris.

1. The difference is animals for consumption are bred for such purposes. Fur trade usually targets endangered species such as the ocelot, Indian tiger cat, lynx, and their treatment/trapping is usually inhumane, as only the fur is used, the rest is wasted or discarded. There is nothing “sentimental” in the calling of humane treatment of animals, regardless of their purpose. There is no need for fur, with synthetic clothing materials cheaply and widely available or from sustainable sources like leather or wool.

Look at this and tell me if the video invokes “sentimentality”:

1. de Villiers 24 Mar 2011, 9:08am

I have not looked at the video but then I would probably decline to watch the workings of an abattoir unless there a good reason for it. I understand that most fur used in France is farmed within the EU, although I do not work within the industry. I have no doubt that standards in China are lower than in the EU. Perhaps that is a argument for better regulation on imported fur.

As with other arguments related to energy use, leather, consumer products, cosmetics etc, the issue of “need” is unconvincing. There are many things that we do not ‘need’ that we nevertheless desire or consume.

I should add that I am not particularly positive in the use of fur – I’m neutral on it. It is that I am not moved strongly by the arguments against it when compared with those relating to other uses of animals.

2. “There are many things that we do not ‘need’ that we nevertheless desire or consume.”

That is not a valid argument. Need must be balanced with how we obtain “needful” resources and consume them. We might “need” pretty handbags, but is that then okay to allow small children to work 14 hours a day to make them in a sweatshop?

Its called ethical consumerism.

3. Jock S. Trap 24 Mar 2011, 9:19am

Exactly. If we were supposed to have spotted fur coats we would have been born with them. No animal should have to be killed just for it’s fur. It’s disgraceful.

4. de Villiers 24 Mar 2011, 11:39am

> Need must be balanced with how we obtain “needful” resources and consume them.

I agree with you on conserving limited resources although I wonder if that is the function of a price mechanism? The more rare and precious the resource, the higher the price.

> If we were supposed to have spotted fur coats we would have been born with them. No animal should have to be killed just for it’s fur. It’s disgraceful

I was not born with leather shoes. If animals are raised humanely for fur, I cannot see the difference been raising them humanely for meat. I am not being difficult. I genuinely cannot see how the use of the fur is a disgrace but the use of the flesh is not.

5. “I genuinely cannot see how the use of the fur is a disgrace but the use of the flesh is not.”

Leather comes from an animal humanely bred for the purpose and EVERY part is used, meat, skin, bones, etc.

Fur trade is not humane and the animal is killed only for the fur.

If you cannot see the difference, I’m afraid you never will, and you are clearly trapped in your own cultural acceptance of this barbaric trade.

8. Very disappointing. The guy could have survived the media storm around his indulging of his peccadilos, despite his bullshit defence of why he sought the attention of male prostitutes. Despite not exactly being honest in his relationship, maybe he just loves his wife and kids and they all want to stick together. And he made some kind of reparation when he appeared in that Channel 4 documentary about MPs experiencing life on council estates. Being caught out re: affairs of the heart, or should I say groin is one thing, where the groin probably did most of the talking. But this is something completely different. This choice has completely undermined any kind of redemption the man could have had.

9. Is this some sort of advanced form of appeasing his sexual appetite for being humiliated? It’s quite incredible. What an absolutely awful man/thing.

10. He can get up to any consensual antics in private he likes, but the fur trade is nasty.

11. Wow he just gets worse and worse first of all he was a libdem then he became a closet case libdem and now this. He really needs to learn some morals.

12. Right, now I’ve got to go find the stupid git and throw red paint at him. Actually, I’m not sure whether I want to do that first or slap the stupid smug grin off of his face.

13. Good that he was exposed before the leadership election if this is the sort of person he is. Disgusting trade to be involved in in any way.

14. What a tool.

15. skin him alive !

16. A thoroughly liberal Liberal

17. Never liked him. Another reason not to like him.

18. What a legend! Bring back fox hunting and fur looks fabulous… let’s be honest.

1. Hodge Podge 24 Mar 2011, 11:22am

0/10, must troll harder

19. martyn notman 23 Mar 2011, 10:49pm

I always thought lib dems were cuddly and nice? recently you’d think they were somewhere to the right of Mussolini..BAD DECISION !!!

1. de Villiers 23 Mar 2011, 11:30pm

> recently you’d think they were somewhere to the right of Mussolini

A dreadful comment, yet again, on an English board. Those to the right of Mussolini murdered and tortured Jews, gays, gypsies, peasants. They had little or no respect for humanity. They waged war and caused civil war in France and Italy. The horrors of that nightmare still inform behaviour and politics in Europe.

It is apparent that the English have no proper respect for what was fascism, Nzaism or the second world war. Just like the Americans.

1. Hold on a mo. Didn’t we British help to liberate France from the clutches of the fascists?

2. Debille.

The facist Le pen was nearly your president in 2002 it seems its the cheese eating surrender monkeys who learnt nothing from ww2, so shut your hole.

1. de Villiers 24 Mar 2011, 9:21am

The reason why le Pen made the run-off is that the left was totally fractured. In the first round, people can vote for whomever they want. There were more than 15 parties of the left which split their vote. People cast their vote without responsibility thinking that the Socialists would make the run-off in any event.

The vote was such as shock that it sent the country into convulsion. The leader of the Socialists called upon all their supporters to vote for Chirac. The vote for Chirac was over 80%. So le Pen was never nearly the President.

No-one in France would ever, ever compare a person to a Nzai or joke about it. To describe a person as being on the ‘extreme right’ is a major statement.

France experienced near civil war during the Vichy regime. The scars are still present in French politics and the EU.

Perhaps the Anglo-Saxon loose talk is because Britain was never occupied. The comments above are sadly typically English and vulgar. Sad for gay people to throw about fascism.

1. And you’re proud Le Pen got 20% of the vote wow. The BNP never gets anything like that. And lets face it sarkozi calling french people with brown skin scum and suggesting that who neighbour hoods are destroyed is disgusting. Say what you want about us but if our PM said that he would be out.

2. And I will add I worked in Paris and the French do not intergrate and are some casually racist as if it the most natural thing in the world. I know I’ve slagged of London but compared to Paris its paradise

3. de Villiers 24 Mar 2011, 11:41am

I said nowhere that I was proud that le Pen had 20% of the vote.

The English are just as racist as anyone. The different is that it is all hypocritical. Nothing is said openly. It is all done in whispers and inferences.

4. de Villiers 24 Mar 2011, 11:46am

President Sarkozy never called “brown” people scum.

He referred to law-breakers as racaille which is mistranslated as scum. In any event, he should not have said it and he was properly criticised for it.

It is also worth noting how this thread started. It is by someone calling someone a fascist and my objecting to that. I am sorry that you have been unable to agree with what ought not to be a controversial proposition.

5. You didn’t get the joke if you’re going to post on British boards you’ll have to understand irony

6. de Villiers 24 Mar 2011, 6:15pm

It is very difficult, in a foreign language, to detect nuances – particularly in writing.

20. Sick! Evil!

21. Erm … He is a LibDem … !

22. It’s probably the only job he can get (I suppose he has to provide for his family somehow, and male prostitutes can be costly) – and as for the shame of having to prattle PR nonsense about fur, well, he’s paid for humiliation in the past, hasn’t he?

23. Hodge Podge 24 Mar 2011, 11:27am

An orange booker fur wearer, you couldn’t make this up.

24. Bill Leeds 24 Mar 2011, 5:33pm

This demonstrates the devastating social effects of male pattern baldness. I hope he, through his job, has already found his psychological cure. I hope he finds the cure for his disease.

25. A dreadful shame that such a “bright” politician has had to resort to this work position in order to survive financially.
    Personally I would rather claims whatever benefits I am able while actively looking for alternative employment.