Son of anti-gay pastor Fred Phelps claims he abused family

1. Linky?…

2. I would have been utterly shocked if some osrt of revelation like this hadn’t come out. It happens to all the ranting homophobes in the end. If hell did exist there would be a special room reserved for him along with Stephen Green and Iris Robinson.

3. He looks like the guy from poltergeist 2.

All the anti gay people are weirdos

1. musclelad23 18 Mar 2011, 5:58pm

LOL x 1 million. Exactly what I thought!!

“God is in … his holy temple”!!!

1. Cheers and thats for that EDL link. I knew there are a bunch of racists thugs

2. Wow – I’d just been thinking exactly the same thing about Freaky Freddy Phelps! He really does need to get out more & get some sun on that sallow skin. Maybe the Vit D will address his happiness deficiency too.

4. Amoeba Q Cartwheel 18 Mar 2011, 2:49pm

The above link dates back to the 1990s and includes what Nate was saying back then, as part of a court record. This didn’t just pop up recently, he has been consistently reliable in his testimony.

5. I don’t think anyone, anywhere on this Planet would be shocked to learn that Fred Phelps is, ontop of everything else, a child abuser.

1. Exactly my thoughts!

1. Katie Murphy - ex cath 19 Mar 2011, 12:46am

Oh he is. go to

the leadership of this church should be skinned alive and thrown in holes filled with maggots. Put these monsters on youtube streaming vid as a message to all their pals.

Time to allow cruel and unusual punishment. Welcome to christianity. the curse of the western world far more then islam in the east

6. No surprise there, then. Time and again homophobia has been proven a diversion tactic for people struggling to cope with their own homosexuality – or to distract from something genuinely sinister. Case in point, Fred Phelps. Why obsess about something harmless that apparently doesn’t concern you?

7. Nate claiming he was abused isn’t new in the slightest, but I’d love to read that book.

1. Katie Murphy - ex cath 19 Mar 2011, 12:51am

A free booik (copyright issues prevented its publicantion. Based on nate and a brothers testimony about this sick and disfunctional family.

And remember these people are just examples of some parts of christianity. The phelps nut cases mistake is making a public nuisance of themselves.

theothers screw up society in more clever and rotten ways

8. Jock S. Trap 18 Mar 2011, 3:20pm

I have to ask is this story really a surprise?

It’s seems to be a trait of religious nut jobs. They choose what parts to believe in so they can profit from it.

The Bible, Koran etc are the religious nut jobs favourite pick ‘n’ mix!

9. Helen Wilson 18 Mar 2011, 3:22pm

I only going to be a matter of time before a grief stricken soldier decides to take out the whole Phelps clan.

I sure a nation would be lining up to dance on the Phelps family grave.

1. Katie Murphy - ex cath 19 Mar 2011, 12:48am

No we would fill in the hole with excrement.

After first hangin g his rotten body from a bridge – where tractor trailers would mash it as they went underneath.

And a daily pouring of a thousand maggots would get a well deserved meal.

1. A flame thower would be more appropropriate. it was the only weapon the fanatical Japanese army feared during wwII.

10. It does seem to be part of the job description, doesn’t it? I feel sorry for his 13 – 13!! – children, but not in the least bit surprised.

11. As others have said, Nate being abused along with his siblings is old news, though it barely makes much difference to my opinion of Phelps snr. who doesn’t exactly come across as Mr. Nice guy even before you take into account the spousal beatings and child abuse.
    The full story is on Nate Phelps’s website.
    Interesting how Both Fred Phelps and Stephen Green are extremely homophobic evangelists with a penchant for wifebeating. It’s almost like there’s a direct corrolation between one mindset and the other.

1. Well, I guess most of the reliwacks see women as their property, as obviously the man is the almighty boss and the wifes need to be submissive and obey…
      And too many women have been totally indoctrinated into thinking that to be the normal and natural way…

12. Wow!
    Very old news now back in the headlines…..
    This has been known for years, but this again proves society has a very short memory…

1. Jock S. Trap 18 Mar 2011, 4:21pm

I thought I’d heard this before, I guess you hear so many of the same news about the same hypocrite nut jobs they blend into one.

13. i’d be really shocked if he did not abuse his kids.

1. I’d be even more shocked if Fred Phelps was (irrefutably) straight; he’s sooooo gay, it’s obvious!

1. please do not put back the lgbt movement with those perverse allegations. And under what delusion do you think he is gay?

1. I was merely extrapolating the fact that most religious nut cases are major hypocrites, seeing as this guy is obsessed with gay people… Do you see the logic I was following?

Of course, apolgosies if I offended you with my “setting back the lgbt movement”, but with some perspective I think the WBC is far more guilty of that.

1. yes there is the obvious link between homophobia and latent homsexuality. But in the states he is reviled for his unpatriotism protesting soldiers funerals etc . and there, the mid west bible belt brigade like to say hes gay as a subliminal way of saying gay is bad. its like some theories that hitler was gay, which is more an allegation based on homophobia than an alternative view.

14. So, Shirley, are you lot examples of people that God LIKES??
    If I were God I think I would sue.

15. Staircase2 18 Mar 2011, 4:53pm

God will judge Nate for what he has said about his father.

1. Yes, well we all know god is a misogynist sociopathic bloodthirsty git from most of the Old Testament.
      I’m sure Fred and the Old Testament God would get on like a house on fire. Doesn’t exactly make him a good role model for the rest of us though, does it?
      Just as well he’s a work of fiction really…

1. Actually, Flapjack, the Biblical view of God is pretty incoherent, which is only to be expected considering how many people wrote it. And Staircase – prove that your God even exists, let alone whether He/She/It has a particular view of what Nate Phelps says about his father.

1. Amen to that – The biblical god is about as coherent as collected fan fiction. One minute he’s busy with the smiting and the jealousy, the next minute he’s telling us wrath and envy are deadly sins.
          Surely god should send himself to hell where his loyal civil servant/ mortal enemy dishes out punishments on his command. Or is he a do as I say, not do as I do kind of god?
          If god was real I swear he’d be suffering from multiple personality disorder. But this is bronze age fan fiction so anything goes.

1. Yeah – almost as if the accounts were written by random individuals who were imposing their own views and beliefs on a being they called “God”. Bizarre, that ;-)

2. Paddyswurds 18 Mar 2011, 9:03pm

@staircase2 Well well So you ARE a xtian fantasist Bigot. I did suspect something was up with you on another thread. Fcuk i’m good at this sussing sh*t. I had you nailed bang to rights on the second line of another totally unrelated thread. Aint nobody gonna judge Fred Phelps but himself on his own deathbed if he dies on a bed that is. I forsee a very neat small round hole right in the center of his evil brow though.

3. I bet I could guess who Staircase2 is if you were to give me a list of all the nutjobs in Phelp’s cult, and as many guesses. Seriously, you need to get out into the real world and realise that you’ve been brainwashed by a sociopath. In some respects, I understand why his family stick around him; the group is very tight-knit, and to disagree with him would mean facing rejection and anger from everybody who you are close to. So, you stay where you know that you’ll be supported, and absorb all the things you’re told to believe and repeat them with fervour, because at least that way you know you won’t be rejected: its Stockholm Syndrome. You know it on some level, but then, its easier to deny it than to challenge your family.

16. Robert (Kettering) 18 Mar 2011, 5:34pm

Well, if I am going to Hell then I am more than happy as I certainly don’t want to spend any sort of “after life” in the same place the Phelps clan think they are going to! One sick, twisted and dysfunctional family – they need serious help.

17. Dave Ferris 18 Mar 2011, 5:49pm

The sister may well have rejected the claims of abuse, but she didn’t “refute” them. For that to be true she would have had to provide some definitive proof that the claims were untrue.

18. Another perverted schizo unveiled.

Although I’d be surprised if he wasn’t.

He looks like a compere of Spank Club on centegenarian night.

19. Steve@GayWebHosting 18 Mar 2011, 6:47pm

Incredible, again we get lectures about our morals from those who clearly have none themselves!

Get behind me Satan!

1. Don Harrison 8 Sep 2011, 6:41pm

Steve, God does not use the word hate.
      Neither gay or even the Fred Phelps or the rest of the family.

20. “The son of Fred Phelps, the pastor of Westboro Baptist Church, has claimed that his father beat his family until they bled.”

Tons of videos of the Phelps clan on YouTube. I don’t see any cuts, bruises, scars, missing teeth, etc. They all look healthy an happy. I think Nate Phelps is lying.

1. If you think they look happy – you’re obviously mentally unstable. I think you are a member of the church who is protecting a child abuser.

1. Mary wants it in her tradesman’s. Badly. She’s living her life vicariously through us.

Yay, Mary!

2. Good god, Mary, are you naive or just stupid?

3. Mary – Fred Phelps is in his 80’s now. If you’re looking for fresh scars and bruises you probably won’t find them as most of these allegations date back several decades.
      Besides which, you’d have to look under the clothes to see that kind of stuff and WBC don’t tend to bear much flesh in public.
      What you can find is a group of indoctrinated fundamentalist fcukups spewing homophobic hate at other people’s funerals which is pretty screwed up as it is.
      I see no particular reason to doubt Nate’s account.

1. Flapjack, the delightful Mary is one of the “dumps and run” religious types. She comes in here, as often before, an drops a religious pile of nonsense and then runs without return. Its what makes me admire her scathing wit and erudite repartee so :)

4. Jock S. Trap 20 Mar 2011, 9:26am

Mary

You would say that though wouldn’t ya. You do like to be all contraversial (yawn) don’t ya.

21. @Mary
    Abuse does not only have visual physical signs.
    There’s many videos of this cult’s young childern holding signs and spewing forth verbal obsenties, that they’re too young to understand; or do you believe that an eight or nine year (and younger) old can understand the old testament or the concept of homosexuality?

I do not think so… They have been indoctronated into a cult… and that is child abuse IMHO.

The Phelps cult is just that, a cult, in all its hidious meanings.

22. This man would slit his own wrist if he allowed himself to become consicous of what he has done to himself and his family. Thus, he has to constantly project hatred to covers and keep hidden- deep in his psyche- his own shame, guilt and hatred for himself. He is truly insane- deeply sick and in pain.
    My heart goes out to his victims.

23. Are you surprised? Hell my brother just came after me and he is as homophobic as one gets. He spews crap that could make him a honourary Phelps member. These people don’t know any boundaries and the only way they fell good about themseleves is by beating and tormenting others.

24. And the surprise is?

25. I have always wondered what on Earth happened to Phelps Snr that led to him being so clearly deranged. Is it purely brain chemistry, or is it down to serious abuse as a child? We will probably never know.

The damn shame of it is that his fear and pain has had such a powerful effect on others – his kids and grandkids are as much his victims as anyone, and are great examples of how abuse gets passed down generations. I’m glad that at least one got away.

Phelps Snr would have found some way to cover for his extremist attitudes and abusive behaviour even if he hadn’t gone down the path of fundamentalist religion. Abusers and psychopaths always do, and you find them all over the world, replicating their damage wherever they go.

The whole thing is a mess and a tragedy.

As for revenge, I’d rather see the whole clan find sanity and peace, and actively working to repudiate their present beliefs and for peace, truth, justice, equality and compassion. Now that would be satisfying.

26. So sad for children that are raised in religious families. So much evil and hatred to sort through later in life! Thank goodness I had a secular upbringing.

27. The wording of the title implies that it is the son that abused the family. At least to me.

28. What are Fred Phelps and the WBC afraid of? Rainbows? Unicorns? A flaming pink queer apocalypse? I attempted to address this with a portrait of the good reverend on my artist’s blog at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com/2011/03/fred-phelps-and-westboro-baptist-church.html Drop in and let me know what you think!

29. The ultimate sin against god, not murder, shucks, me thinks somebodies been abused some way along the line and I dont mean verbally

30. Don Harrison 8 Sep 2011, 6:34pm

Neither does God hate gay or even Fred Phelps or his family

31. “He’s convinced that homosexuality is the ultimate sin against God.”

I wonder why? Does he have same-sex sex ‘issues’? Wife-beaters often do. They project their self-hatred onto others – particularly gay people. ‘Course, he makes a handsome living out of his vile hatred too …