Preview: Doctor Who star Matt Smith goes gay in Christopher And His Kind

1. After all, how long ago was ‘Tipping The Velvet’? Is it not about time the cosy-home audience were challenged with a bit of male-on-male interactivity, now they’ve had a decade to get used to the lesbian-lesbian action? So behind the times; how will Britain cope? Twenty-twenty’s coming up – let’s hope it’s all fifty-fifty by then. Ha!

2. Will be looking forward to this programme and yes Americans ‘this is’ how the rest of the English-speaking world spells ‘programme’!

1. Have you had a lot of trouble with Americans misspelling common English, Brenton?

While we’re on the subject of grammar, I’d like to point out that the phrase “the 11th Doctor Who” doesn’t make sense.

1. When I was in the USA, a person stated to me “You spell lousy.” I pointed out to him that my spelling was not incorrect, just not American spelling, but British English spelling.

Also the “the 11th Doctor Who” makes perfect sense, if you know the context; Matt Smith is the 11th actor to protray the character of The Doctor.
        As a “Whovian”, you can gauge a fans age by his/her “Doctor”…. I’m a 2nd/3rd/4th “Doctor” fan: So that’s mid 60’s/mid 70’s (Patrick Troughton/Jon Pertwee/Tom Baker)

2. Staircase2 19 Mar 2011, 2:54pm

yes it does…lol

are you American?

1. Of course I KNOW the context. And YOU ought to know that he plays The Eleventh Doctor’ not The Eleventh Doctor Who which is the name of the PROGRAMME, not the CHARACTER, which was the point I was obviously making.

1. Actually the character at least used to be listed in the credits as “Doctor Who”. So it is an acceptable version of the character’s name, just not one used by other characters within the show.

2. Hodge Podge 20 Mar 2011, 9:27pm

I would suggest this isn’t worth getting angry over, even if you are a whovian :P (and you’re a big one considering you’ve got the seal of Rassilon as your pic).

3. Hmm I’m gonna watch it just dubious of how we will be portrayed. BBC has a terrible hostory or realistically showing gay life.

I miss tipping the velvet … I enjoyed that when was a boy lol. But I fear this is prime time tv and not late night and is dr who so it won’t be nothing of same level. I think the pix above is about as sexed up as it gets.

4. This will make interesting viewing. Isherwood fraternising with at that time the enemy. I hope the Beeb does the story justice and doesn’t gloss over the reality of homosexuality in those days- the depravity of the gay underworld.

1. Staircase2 19 Mar 2011, 2:55pm

I didnt write that – someone else is using my name to make posts recently

5. I’ve already seen it on german TV. Yes there are graphic scenes, but in total i found it to be terribly dull and the comming drama was much to obvious and predictible. It totaly lacks the sense of humor brits are capebable of and there are no traces of campiness.
    Think of those terribly boring crime shows.
    Considering the obvious budget, the detail in costums and decoration i’d say it’s rather disapointing. :-(

1. I wasn’t expecting graphic scenes at all until you mentioned it. it’s a drama not a peep show.

2. It’s a drama, I wasn’t aware that it’s meant to be funny.
      They’re gay, I wasn’t aware that they’re MEANT to be camp.

1. Yes, i know it’s hard to believe nowadays, but there was a time when gay subculture meant somethings different then looking like an accountant and trying hystericaly to appear heterosexuell.

1. de Villiers 21 Mar 2011, 4:49pm

That’s the price of equality.

6. @Staircase2

“Isherwood fraternising with at that time the enemy.”

Just being pedantic, but Germany didn’t become “the enemy” until the 3rd of September 1939, almost a decade later than the drama is set.

1. Staircase2 19 Mar 2011, 2:34pm

Were they also not the enemy from 1914 to November 1918? Not only are you a pedant but you’re also a tw@t. Now f..k off and buy a history book.

1. Staircase2 19 Mar 2011, 2:59pm

You need to go find your own name and quit using mine to post inflammatory and derogatory comments.

How bout Imposter?

1. Will the real staircase please stand up… it’s turning into Spartacus round here!

2. Staircase2 19 Mar 2011, 2:57pm

I didnt write that – someone else is posting using my name
      Im shocked that Pink News allows this to happen

1. Paddyswurds 19 Mar 2011, 3:14pm

That’s what they all say Staircase or whoever it is. Spanner maybe??

1. Why blame me?
          I may be a lot of things to you people, but I have enough courage to use my own name and not hide behind other pseudonyms, or use other people’s aliases. If I want to say something, I’ll damn well say it.

3. I don’t think the gay community of Germany were ever anyone’s enemy. They would have been too busy being herded into death camps.

1. Well said Rose.

4. Just recently i read an essay on Isherwood beeing anti-semitic and verry open to the idea of Herrenmensch. Hitler didn’t just fall of the sky in 1939.

5. martyn notman 21 Mar 2011, 2:22pm

For most of the left and the Intelligensia (probably spelt wrong) Hitler and Fascism in general was a problem from the early thirties onwards. Hence the outcry over Ethiopia and Albania in the mid 30’s, and the rush to fight for the Republic in Spain in 36/37..For most of Isherwoods peers/elders in his social circle/ at Cambridge it would have been beyond the pale to write for Mosely’s rag..

7. And I think i’ve had enough of being jumped on and challenged at every perfectly inoccuous point I make on these pages. In the real world, I find my gay friends the nicest, most loyal and loving people in the world. But on Pink all anyone wants to do is tear into each other. It is a nasty, unpleasant place and i am sick to death of it.

I expect this will be a perfectly acceptable drama made by a reliable, quality maker and broadcaster of high quality programmes. Feel free to argue the opposite. I won’t be listening to you.

1. Ignore them, Rose. Sadly, there are a few very angry people everywhere comments are allowed on tne internet. Sometimes it’s misunderstanding and that’s fair enough, but purposely goading is something that only deserves to be ignored.

8. Rose dear – I agree that it is a bit depressing reading some of the lacerating comments on here at times, often from people who seem to be determined to take offence at the slightest thing.
    I suppose on the positive side we could argue that comments on all internet sites seem to attract ‘shoot from the hip’ types and this proves the gay population really are no different from anyone else!

9. It’s a desperately sad story about Isherwood’s time in Berlin, but there is one funny comment by Isherwood’s mother. As he prepared to head off to Berlin, his mother remonstrates how he was supposed to be a doctor – wonder how many takes that scene took?

10. Come on guys, we all know Rose is a big sci-fi fan and starts foaming at the mouth if you so much as intimate any criticism of the genre.

I’m a big sci-fi fan too, but I still think Matt Smith is crap at Doctor who.

Now I’m *really* going to get some stick. ;)

11. Just watched it on the iplayer. I thought it was excellent.
    Matt Smith was an extremely convincing Isherwood. …almost too good!

12. Just watched the whole thing… might have to get the book now.
    Douglas Booth was some nice eye candy, as were most of the cast from the nightclub.
    So sad at the end that Heinz wound up living a lie to escape the Gestapo and Stalin’s occupying forces, but for some people I guess nothing much has changed there.

13. Jock S. Trap 20 Mar 2011, 9:34am

I watched it. I think his acting was a bit wooden, his accent was definitely dodgy and was very false.

The story line was weak, as was the acting apart from Philip Seymour Hoffman who I think stole the show with the scenes in which he played.

It’s a shame because the British are the best at films about people but I think this one let the side and the BBC down.

1. I don’t remember Philip Seymour Hoffman’s scenes. Which were those?

1. Jock S. Trap 20 Mar 2011, 11:07am

Oo-er, dunno why I said Philip Seymour Hoffman. I apologise I did mean of course Toby Jones.

2. Jock S. Trap 20 Mar 2011, 12:20pm

Althoough they did both play Truman Capote.

14. Well, my eyes nearly popped out of head to see so much graphic homosexual sex on the BBC. But apart from this aspect was there anything else that was notable about this film?

OK, we witnessed the challenge to minorities posed by the rise of right-wing contagion.

And, OK, it was pleasant to see the story behind “Cabaret” and “I Am a Camera” presented differently.

But, apart from the above, have we been left with anything deeply moving, earth-shattering, or life-changing?

No. Unfortunately.

The story involved no effective dissemination of any important underlying message.

2 stars out of 5.

1. I’m assuming you gave those two stars for the ‘graphic homosexual sex’? Dunno about you but I prefer my graphic sex a bit more well graphic I guess. Still the programme gave an opportunity for the Liza Minnelli fans to dig out their soundtrack to Cabaret and play “Maybe this Time” over and over again.

1. Hee, hee. No, Riondo, not for the visual sex and groping at all, but simply for a professionally-produced repackaging of the well-known story.

I suppose if the piece had any punch at all it was unfortunately and entirely in those surprising sex scenes (surprising purely in terms of their appearing in a film broadcast on a mainstream channel).

Yes, Cabaret was a masterpiece which may never be outdone! Clearly there’s money to be made by rehashing it with a good few bouts of gay sex!

15. Rose is English your second language? You say; “I don’t think the gay community of Germany were ever anyone’s enemy. They would have been too busy being herded into death camps”. This means they were someone’s enemy surely?

16. I watched this on the BBC iPlayer. Whilst it is good to see aspects of gay life that aren’t often shown on TV, I found the entire experience to be deadly dull.

17. I wasn’t overly impressed to be honest. I thought it grappled at so many ‘gay’ cliches and lacked any real show of passion. I have written a full review over at http://nowthatsjustgay.blog.co.uk/2011/03/20/christopher-and-his-kind-10861508/

1. Hi Mark. Good for you for putting your views out there but although you write sincerely and honestly on your blog you don’t unfortunately write well.

You could though. I recommend you do a great deal of reading of literature of a high quality and also study sentence construction closely. That should help improve your written expression.

Good luck.

1. Thanks :) Its always a learning curve.

18. Could they have found anyone more dissimlar in appearance to the real Christopher Isherwood if they’d tried, physical similarity is not essential though there does seem to be a trend in casting ever increasingly horse-faced and lanky people when portraying people who were neither of those things, certainly Christopher Isherwood wasn’t..

1. How tall was Christopher Isherwood?
      He was 5 ft 6.5 in (1.69 M)

19. YOU CAN WATCH IT ON CATCH UP……

20. Thank you for making us smile Benedict, your sentence construction is amazing! Do you work for the BBC?

21. I actually really enjoyed it. Ok matt smith only seems to have 1 acting style these days and that’s doctor-ish with the hands.

But but I thought it was a good piece of tv.

22. George Broadhead 21 Mar 2011, 9:54am

Christopher Isherwood’s books – in particular Goodbye to Berlin and the World in the Evening with their gay themes – were a revelation to me when at university in the repressive 1950s, and I will always be grateful to him for this.

23. martyn notman 21 Mar 2011, 2:16pm

Excellent, really well done. Theres been comments on matt’s odd accent..but Isherwood did have a very odd voice by modern standards (and Don Bachardy has picked it up a bit as well). And oh the boys…guy playing Auden was a lot better looking than the real thing!