Gay Police Association loses funding

1. Staircase2 18 Mar 2011, 4:54pm

Quite right too. All this diversity b…llocks just leads to gays being pigeonholed and us living in ghettos

1. Do you really think that “diversity” leads to “gays being pigeonholed and us living in ghettos”? How do you explain the existence of the latter thousands of years before the appearance of the former?

2. Staircase2 18 Mar 2011, 7:38pm

I didnt write that
      I was lying in my bed asleep 3 hours ago
      someone is impersonating me

which begs the question: ‘why on earth would they want to do that?’

3. Staircase2 18 Mar 2011, 7:41pm

ps Ive reported the comment

I think that diversity is a good thing – and in fact, anything which is DIVISIVE is the bollocks

We need to fund these organisations if we truly wish to have a diverse and reflective Police Force in this country.

1. There’s a lot of this user hijacking going on.
        I’ve had it happen to me. I know I’m outspoken but I still like to feel I’m responsible for the words I say, and not have someone misrepresent me.
        It’s very irritating.

2. Jock S. Trap 19 Mar 2011, 8:01am

Sadly I have complained a few times about this problem to PinkNews after having mine hijacked. They just say they are aware of the problem but don’t have the time or resources to sort it.

To me that suggests they can’t be bothered to protect loyal readers. It’s why I stopped signing up to them and refuse to now.

2. Ah at last we see the conservative approach to diversity. Say diversity is a good thing, then act in a way to empower those who hate diversity.

God damn I really hate the tories.

1. So what? You’d vote for Labour and have us at the bottom of the foodchain? Below every other walk of life? So long as the black and Asian community were handed everything on a plate the rest of us could go to hell as far as Tony and his cronies were concerned.

1. well maybe that was the case in crazy land. Also criticising the tories does not make one automatically a labour supporter.
        Also what the heck did labour give the black and asian community that other communities did not get?
        Who was made below every other form of life by labour?

1. Racism and xenophobia are cool for some, if they think that’s what it takes for them “to be at the top of the foodchain”, meaning, being above those they deem should be below them.

2. Ignore Spanner. He’s a BNP candidate.

3. Guess what? I didn’t write that.
        Whoever it is, fcuk off and stop acting like a child.
        If you have a point to say, say it, but don’t hide behind others like some puerile little twat.

1. Sorry.

1. Pink news needs to sort this hijacking out.

Whats the point of using an email address if anyone can still use the same name someone else uses?
            Do they just use the emails to sell on to advertisers or something?

2. Jock S. Trap 21 Mar 2011, 9:45am

It’s the only way immature idiots know how to debate, actually they don’t know thats why they hijack other peoples names or constantly change theirs to have themselves agreeing with them.

Immature Hijackers…. yes you…. don’t you know there are no winners or losers in debating just healthy differences of opinions but with nothing to prove. Sometimes you’ll agree, sometimes you won’t.

It’s not big, it’s not clever….

3. Helen Wilson 18 Mar 2011, 5:04pm

Has the Christian police associations been striped of funding too?

1. Helen Wilson 18 Mar 2011, 5:07pm

I think its called the Christian police fellowship

1. Of course not…what else did you expect?

1. no it is the Christian Police Association. Like the Gay Police Association except they have loads of money!

2. Jock S. Trap 19 Mar 2011, 8:06am

It would be unfair if the Christian police fellowship was to remain if others are going.

Treat all equally. Save money by all means but if your going to remove diverse groups remove them all.

4. A few years ago I attended a GPA conference as an IAG member in Brighton. The waste of money was phenomenal. All expenses paid, the conference was completely unprofessional. Police officers turned up in shorts and flip flops and finished early to head off to the beach. As a fellow public sector worker (medicine) and tax payer I was outraged at the waste of resources.

1. Actually all costs were paid for by delegates you imbecile

1. Well ACPO agreed with me when I formally complained to them about the misuse of funds. My CP is a police inspector and I have huge respect for the police service. However wasting tens of thousands of pounds paying for a weekend by the seaside undermines the whole diversity agenda. The conference was paid for by individual police forces that sent LGBT officers; not by the delegates themselves.

‘Imbecile’ is a vile and offensive term for people with learning disabilities – you should be ashamed of yourself.

1. Imbecile also means a stupid or silly person so less of the melodramatics. Actually you are more of a misinformant. Of course it was individual delegates who were charged. How you personally wiggled your way to getting a ‘freeby’ is entirely your own affair, not the GPA’s!

1. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about so there is no point engaging with you further

5. £102,000 cut from a genuinely worthwhile service, and yet the government just spent £2 million on policing to “protect” the LibDem Conference in Sheffield. An estimated 2000 policemen and women descended on the city centre last weekend in what is said to be the largest operation of its kind in South Yorkshire. According to the Sheffield Telegraph only ONE arrest was made. It goes a long way to explain a government’s priorities when the Deputy PM needs 2000 bodyguards, yet diversity training is found wanting. Laws might change, but a large part of society still needs to learn to respect us. Take the homophobia endemic in schools. Unchallenged, our future police force will graduate with an unbridled contempt for homosexuals – and who’s going to regulate the bullying then?

1. The Tories are dismantling the structures that have been created to support and protect our community. The outcome of this is going to be felt sometime in the future. The support will cease to exist. That will translate down the line in more freedom for bigots, and less support and protection for their victims.

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Mar 2011, 8:16am

Here we go. Your laughable.

You clearly choosing what to read. It’s not only the Gay Police Association is it.

Stop playing the victim. If Labour hadn’t spent money we didn’t have we wouldn’t be in this mess.

1. They can spend £3 billion unnecessarily changing the NHS but they cant afford £100,000 a year for the GPA?

Come now jock, just because the tories say something doesnt automatically mean its true.

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Mar 2011, 1:30pm

Educated enough to see for myself without ‘the Tories’ telling me.

2. Im sure that is true. But you didnt answer why they can afford 3 billion on an unnecessary reform, yet cannot afford 100k

3. Jock S. Trap 19 Mar 2011, 2:40pm

It’s not just 100k though is it?

In any case last year it was 51k. You saying it as if it is only the GPA that is going when it isn’t so it would be a lot more than 100k.

As for the NHS, I guess I agree in part but they still waste so much money on unnecessary stuff while still employing way to many managers. Too many groups are taking money from front line services as a political stance. It is wrong when there is so much waste away from the front line.

4. Actually, the reform of the NHS is more to do with the privatisation of the health service. Also turning Doctors into managers who are entirely unqualified to ‘manage’ will be a disaster (and so say most Doctors!).

5. Jock S. Trap 20 Mar 2011, 6:43am

I don’t agree with the doctors being managers either. However said that Labour did raise their wages without any thing for it. So what we did got was £200,000 a year doctors on less hours, surgery hours cut so that most working people couldn’t see their GP unless they had time off and the end to seeing a doctor that knew you if they had to be called out leading to what we already know in some unqualified doctors.

Something had to be done. Problem is where they were supposed to be cutting those managers in the hospitals, they will instead be employed by the doctors.

On the other side something has to be done to improve health in this country. It is an appalling state of affairs that cancer survival rates are amongst the worst in Europe and the Western world. An end has to be put to deny people those life saving drugs and esp postcode lotteries.

However I do also worry that waiting times will get worse.

6. Meanwhile, our forces have deployed 120 cruise missiles against Lybia, at the cost of £300,000 per missile. In just one day they’ve managed to spend 36 million pounds. And that figure is just for the missiles, and just for one day.

7. One day of a missile attack on an oil rich country is 720 times the ammount that was funding the GPA for a whole year.

8. That means the cost of the first day of missile strike on Lybia would fund the GPA for 720 years.

9. Jock S. Trap 20 Mar 2011, 8:46am

How can you justify a dictator who slaughters his own people while the world just sits back and watches. I think you underestimate the Gaddafi regime. I think all considered the countries are being restraint. They are to stop him having the power to kill his own people just because they want Freedom. Have no illusions Gaddafi will massacre all those that went against him, Why do you think so many men (where were the women?) were trying to flee the country.

What part of humanity would have sat back and watch? I think the fact this is being done via the United Nations speaks volumes.

The fact Obama has made the point that on his part no troops will deployed is a good thing.

Have no doubt Gaddifi and his sons run a Very brutal dictatorship.

This action at the moment is right. How it turns out, well we’ll have to see.

Lets no forget the Lybian people themselves have asked for help.

10. Jock S. Trap 20 Mar 2011, 8:56am

You facts are wrong anyhow. Our forces have Not fired 120 missles. That is mis-information. It is in a combined effect between several countries including Jordon and the UAE. It was 112 missles in a joint effort between the US and UK forces.

The missles are targeted on Gaddafi weapons, tanks, aircraft and communications etc. This is to try and stop him attacking his own people. You do know that anyone that disagrees with this man usually end up in a grave don’t you?

You forget that many have already of Gaddifi’s forces and ministers have defected and many more will also.

Also as for you usual pathetic Gay Tories – Duh crap (seriously grow up) you clearly conveniently forget that this has the full backing of Labour.

Oh and btw, I have no loyalty to Any party its about who speaks to me at the time of an election. Thats why they All have to earn my vote.

11. Dictator this, dictator that, regime change, blah dee blah. Duhhhhh Duh Duhhh
            Do you really think many people fall for this false rhetoric, Jock? Only the gullible and those with side interests on the matter.
            The keyword is Oil. Only oil matters. And only oil rich countries are attacked.
            The GPA’s and the Disabled Association’s, 720 years of philanthropic funding being channeled to wage wars and kill for oil and political power. And a few days ago CallMeDave went on a trip to sell arms to future “dictators”. LOL
            Gay tories —> Duhhhhhh !!

12. Here Jock, the people of the following countries are in dire need of your “altruistic” support: Bahrain, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Oman, Jordan, Syria, Iran, Mauritania, Chad, Sudan, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Somalia, Gabon, Rwanda, Zimbabwe, Swaziland, … the list goes on and on .. and on … but let’s be honest shall we? Just a few of these countries above are really worth the effort$ of our most gloriou$ force$ … I’m sure you’ll be able to identify them.

2. Something had to be done? How can someone justify this? How can someone be so reckless to support this state of affairs?
          Gay Tories —-> Duhhhhh

1. Jock S. Trap 31 Mar 2011, 9:43am

Your so full of crap, Beberts. All you know is how to insult people but with just one pathetic phrase.

It’s called democracy. Get used to it or move to an oppressive country of your choice.

3. About the cancer rates – labour reforms were actually causing cancer survival rates to rise, to the extent that by 2012 the statistic predicted that the UK’s cancer survival rate would be better than Frances.

2. The £2m spent was because a whole load of people on the extreme left don’t recognise the right for a party to hold a conference without being verbally and physically abused.

£2m spent, blame Socialist Worker etc.

6. What about the hundreds of thousands of pounds the police give to the homophobic evangelical Christian street pastors then?

Are you going to cut their funding to?

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Mar 2011, 8:17am

I certainly would hope so!

7. This isn’t too bad, as news go.

The more the Tories undermine the police in any way, the less support they’ll have once the riots start. :-)

1. That’s what I’m bargaining on too lol. They’ll turn on their government and we win. Revolution over. Neocons and warmongering bankers gone for good.

8. de Villiers 18 Mar 2011, 6:26pm

Although such organisations as the GPA are desirable, it is not desirable for them or for any single issue groups or work unions to be funded by the taxpayer.

1. Tell us why should the taxpayer fund a banker’s bonus and not a disabled association?

1. Ignore de villiers – he’d probably protect the right wing if they murdered his children.

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Mar 2011, 8:18am

oh a new low life!

2. de Villiers 19 Mar 2011, 8:34am

> Ignore de villiers – he’d probably protect the right wing if they murdered his children.

Edward, I’m disappointed that you have chosen to go for personal attack. I shall decline to return the favour.

2. de Villiers 19 Mar 2011, 8:33am

> Tell us why should the taxpayer fund a banker’s bonus and not a disabled association?

It should not. The UK Government is too weak over the payment of bankers’ bonuses with taxpayers money.

1. Too weak? Hah! the lame “Taxpayer” nonsense excuse. Then the “Big Society” excuse that it’s gonna pick up the pieces…

1. de Villiers 22 Mar 2011, 8:25am

I cannot understand what you have written. I have already said that the UK government is too weak over bank bonuses and that taxpayers should not fund them.

2. Jock S. Trap 31 Mar 2011, 9:44am

I doubt he understands what he’s written.

9. Helen, you make a good point. I hope we can find out if the Christian Police Fellowship has also been put on the chopping block.

1. I also, have not seen any news that the Christian Police Association has lost it’s funding: http://tinyurl.com/6g2x72b

1. fedupofthis 18 Mar 2011, 11:36pm

Why would it? It says on their home page they are funded entirely by voluntary subscriptions.

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Mar 2011, 8:19am

I do think rather than make excuses they ought to find ways to fund these associations if they want them.

2. If you look at their accounts you will see they are regularly funded be the Home Office; http://tinyurl.com/63bh7bl

10. It is a shame they are to lose the money but at least it’s fair if all support groups lose it. I don’t see why members shouldn’t pay a small subscription. It’s important for GPA to stay at top management tables and to support members on the ground. I hope to God things really have changed for the better in the ‘canteen culture’. I once knew a gay cop who left the force because the conversations he heard among his colleagues convinced him his life would be in danger if he were found out.

1. Although much ground has been made since the formation of the GPA there still exists pockets of homophobia. Importantly, however, is the issue of representation within the police. The GPA has been one of the main reasons why gay people join the police. Without it, they will return to the persecution they had pre-GPA.

1. The GPA ran aground years ago. All the good work for gay officers for the last 5 years has been done by Stonewall. The GPA is a waste of tens of thousands of pounds which would be spent far better on anti-homophobia projects for the public.

1. Actually Stonewall have not done anything to improve the internal strategic policy of the police service in order to make it more ‘gay friendly’. That function is exclusively down to the GPA as mandated by ACPO and the Government (who are now puling the plug on the funding).

2. Jock S. Trap 19 Mar 2011, 8:21am

I agree Riondo, good comment…. The early bit not the bad last bit which kinda shows why they still need it.

3. Being a member of the GPA myself, I wouldn’t mind paying a subscription fee. When I joined I made a donation but since then they have not asked for any further donations.

11. A thoroughly good decision. In no way should any public sector organisation have a separate team that deals in diversity issues. Diversity and equality should be the job requirement of EVERY member of the public sector. It should be part of ongoing training and should be a core value in any organisation, be that private of public sector.
    Creating a team to deal with the issues has simply absolved people from taking responsibility and actually celebrating diversity and equality through every part of their role.

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Mar 2011, 8:24am

Good comment, I do agree with you however I do feel there is a need to make sure that people are able to turn to someone like themselves when problems arise, someone who does understand things from that angle weither, Gay, Disabled etc.

Very often people not in the know just assume they know and thats where we have problems. Plus it is fair to say we can’t expect everyone to know everything.

1. This is partly true. Yes everyone has responsibility for equality and diversity however puting that into practice is where, in reality, it seldom works. What the GPA has managed to do is give LGB staff a ‘visibility’ within the police service. Considering that the vast majority of police officers are still ‘in-the-closet’ within the workplace, there requires to be a voice. How many openly gay senior police officers are there? None. Where progress has been made in areas such as race and gender, sexual orientation is still a marginalised group in the service.

1. Jock S. Trap 20 Mar 2011, 6:48am

You’ll find my comment reflects the need for these groups and the important roles they play in the workplace.

12. Every time I read stories like this, every time I see our government pander to religious nut jobs and fail to deal with hate it makes me want to go back to ireland. I love the UK ive been here since I was 1 month old, but im fed up with there being no one to represent me. All the political parties pander to the religious fundamentalists.

Say what you will about Sinn fein, and they do have big problems, they do consistently abhor homophobia, they actually try to stop it and they do not empower homophobic institutions.

It saddens me to say that when Ireland is reunited im pretty certain ill leave and go home. Which is a shame as I think that british people just are not represented by their political class, the far right media just shapes every debate and every issue to such an extent that reason is just ignored.

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Mar 2011, 8:29am

I agree. I don’t see how they can pick and choose. Either keep them all or rid of them all. It doesn’t help the argument when they keep some and not others.

Either that or get them all self funded, which could be a better idea than no funding at all.

2. Maggie Jeffries 19 Mar 2011, 2:25pm

Sinn Fein?
      Are you serious? In 1984, Senator (soon hopefully to be President of Ireland) was given 24 hours to leave his Dublin home by the thugs at his local Sinn Fein Office. David’s reply was to walk head held high into the Dublin offices of Sinn Fein and tell them that in 24 hours he would give to every newspaper in Ireland a list containing all of the gay Sinn Fein members unlesss their threat was immediately revoked. It was.
      Prior to that, my friend was killed by the IRA for no other reason than he was queer, out and proud to be queer.
      Don’t ever, ever try and rewrite history to suit your own aims. While Sinn Fein might now ‘abhor homophobia’, there are a number of men buried under the sands in some remote area of Ireland as they fell foul of this lot.

1. Maggie Jeffries 19 Mar 2011, 2:28pm

Sorry, I meant to include – Senator David Norris. Ireland’s first out gay man when it was still a criminal offence to be gay. A man who has been changing the landscape of Ireland since the 1970s.

1. I really did not mean to cause offence about your friend. All I was commenting on was my experience with sinn fein in recent years. I was not born in 1984 so I admit I can in no way comment on what it was like to be lgbt then.

I would never,ever wish to rewrite history concerning all those who died. I am truly sorry if I gave the impression that was what I was doing.

2. I am in no way trying to rewrite history or sweep the horrible things sinn fein have done under the rug, I was merely saying now they oppose homophobia, also I have only ever really known the modern sinn fein so I am sorry if I missed out on previous homophobia, when I have been to talks by them they have always said they opposed it.
        My experience of living in Belfast in 2007 was that groups like the Sandown church and people like Iris robinson stoked hatred of gay people, whereas Sinn fein people opposed it.
        I would never wish to besmirch the memory of those who were murdered. Someone I knew and cared for died in Omagh in 1998 so please do not think I wish to support those who would kill others.
        Also feel I should add the only time I have voted in Northern Ireland I voted for the SDLP not sinn fein.

1. Maggie Jeffries 20 Mar 2011, 12:27pm

Sorry, I didn’t mean to snap at you.
          Just this lot bring back some awful memories. In the 1970s, 80s sexual deviants, as the IRA liked to refer to us back then were treated to especially brutal beatings. Today, they might have changed their tune, but don’t be fooled by their hollow retoric.
          Let’s hope David Norris becomes Irelands next, and first out-gay President.
          x
          maggie

13. So why isn’t ACPO/Home Office cutting the funding of the Christian Police Association???

They funded the Christian Police Association last year to the sum of £10,000 :

14. Hmmmm-m. Just another brick in the wall.

1. Jock S. Trap 31 Mar 2011, 9:45am

Of what though?

15. Here’s the reason that the xtian plod squad is keeping it’s funding:-
    “Specifically find out the names of your local neighbourhood policing team and commit to praying for them.” Don Axcell, the executive director of the 2,000-strong CPA and a retired sergeant for the Met, told Police Review today (Thurs): “In one particular area, an officer was investigating an incident but he had not been able to apprehend a suspect.

“He encouraged a church to pray for him and within days a suspect had been arrested and charged.

“In another area, an officer encouraged churches to pray about domestic burglary and over the year it came down by 30 per cent.

See we don’t need the athiest police on the beat just the god plod squad a praying for devine guidance

16. Dr Robin Guthrie 19 Mar 2011, 12:51am

For F’s sake

Reading this Readers comments I’m bombarded with an RSPCA advert.

Look Pink News. Stop p!ssing off your core readers with misplaced adverts.

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Mar 2011, 8:30am

Blimey I know what you mean, it is a put off.

17. Jock S. Trap 19 Mar 2011, 7:53am

Yet again, Labours cash fountain and open ended cheque cost us another casualty.

If the Police force worked well I’d say there’d be no need but whilst I’m sure many do I think it’s safe to say there are a few who let the force down. So sadly these groups are needed.

The fact that this group didn’t have full time staff is irrelevent. The fact it had volunteers working to run it’s 24 hour helpline suggests it is needed.

Staff need support no matter who they are. I hope something will be put in place that helps somehow replace this much needed organisation.

1. Problem is jock that such diversity organisations actually improve the polices ability to operate.
      For example, with greater anti racist education and more hiring of ethnic minority officers the police are able to more effectively engage with minority communities. Which is very important as the only way police can solve crimes is if the public gives them information.
      – Same with LGBT groups, many LGBT people are distrustful of the police, such groups as the GPA increase trust in the police, and hence increase the likelihood of people helping the police.

The police can only work if the public give them information.

Also – from 1997-2005 the economic deficit under new labour was smaller than under the 1990=1997 conservatives. From 2005-2007 it was of a similar size. Following the 2008 banking crash the deficit exploded.
      Thus the huge deficit was caused by a unregulated banking system which all political parties pushed for. So it is silly to suggest that the state we are in now…

1. …. is the fault of new labour. It was a global financial crash coupled with the fact our economy is to dependent on services and finance, that caused such a large deficit. Not government spending between 1997-2007

1. Everyone knows that, but many can’t care less about anyone else. Blaming Labour suits the interests of many people. Who cares about the old, the sick, the poor and the vulnerable, when one can wash their hands and let the “Big Society” magic make the undesirable disappear before their own eyes?

2. Jock S. Trap 19 Mar 2011, 1:40pm

Scott

Yeah, think you need to re-read my comment, you’ll see I Have actually said these groups are needed.

As for the economy you do seem to be leaving out Very important pieces like the fact the first thing Blair and Brown did when coming to power was remove the legislation which stopped the banks taking the risks that caused the crash and incidently are doing against. Also that Gordon Brown sold off all our Gold reserves that are traditionally kept solely for the purpose of selling when the country goes into recession so that money can be pumped into the economy, helping country and assets without having to put up taxes to much. Thats just two major errors Labour did when in power with the economy, that have had lasting effects.

When we had a government who insisted no-one could have seen the recession when the voters themselves had seen it for over a year is just pathetic and signs of how much the government treated us like complete fools.

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Mar 2011, 1:48pm

Correction

about banks, meant “are doing again”

3. Jock S. Trap 19 Mar 2011, 1:46pm

While, yes, I do question a few of the decisions being taken by this government on spending, I am not as naive to think that the last government left this economy is a right state.

Do I think it’s best to get to grips with this faster, with the intention of giving a better economy quicker then yes I do. To leave such a deficit would be damaging in the long term, the quicker we get it under control the better it’ll be country for us all.

However, who I’ll vote for in the next general election, is not decided. They’ll all have to work my vote, though Ed Milibore, Ed Balls-up really don’t do it for me, considering they were the ines responsible for getting us in this mess in the first place.

1. You missed my point:
          All parties of the last 30 years have advocated deregulation of the banks (except the greens who I voted for!) so they are all equally to blame.
          My point was that government spending did not cause this crash- we have relatively low level of debt, and the deficit only exploded after an international financial crash.
          I restate – labours deficit 1997-2005 was smaller than the conservatives 1990=1996. In many of those years labour had a budget surplus.

The large deficit was caused by an international financial crises, not labour.

Both labour and the conservatives are too blame for the fact we have an economy dependent on the financial sector, and deregulated banks, and the fact we have a trade imbalance.

1. Jock S. Trap 20 Mar 2011, 6:55am

I get your point, in part but your missing the fact that although the Tories deregulated the banks they made regulations to make sure banks couldn’t take the risks with your money and it’s that, that caused the crash.

This was one of the first things Tony Blair and Gordon Brown removed so in effect the banking crisis in this country was basicially down to that removal so that we can indeed blame Labour for this mess we are in.

2. Jock S. Trap 20 Mar 2011, 6:57am

I meant it was that regulations removal that caused the problem.

3. The Tories always pushed for deregulation. Now they’re trying to blame that on Labour. Know your history.

4. Jock S. Trap 20 Mar 2011, 9:19am

Oh, I know my history. Unlike you I don’t change it to suit my own argument, but it remains that The Tories allow more banking Freedoms they also put in regulations that stopped the banks acting recklessly with customers money.

In 1997 Tony Blair and Gordon Brown did two things. They gave the Bank of England the power to be independent and monitior Britians financies including inflation and they also removed that regulation that stopped banks acting reckless meaning that the banking system has since been left wide open to abuse and not only have we suffered but unless this government acts more on regulation will happen again.

I have to point out in 1997 I did vote for Labour.

5. LOL. Oh yeah, you know your “history”… you really know it… Shame that the history you know must be the one that suits your interests, or would it be delusions? When it doesn’t, just change sides, and carry on regardless, choosing the history that suits you. And what’s that? Really, you voted for Labour. OMG. You fell in in trap as well? LOL

6. Jock S. Trap 31 Mar 2011, 9:45am

Never mind Berbs!

18. Paddyswurds 19 Mar 2011, 3:20pm

I’d much prefer not live in a police sanctioned State if you all don’t mind. There are days when I feel the rozzers breathing down my neck and that has nothing to do with my ganga intake but rather that the pigs are on every street looking for any excuse to bang up one of the LGBT community.

1. Paranoid from the ‘ganga’ intake are you?? Sad pathetic old fool.

1. I didn’t post this. Use your own name, whoever you are, either invented or real. Thank you.

2. what a load of old cobblers

19. About time all this PC diversity and multicultural boll*cks was ditched and consigned to the wastebin of history forever. The soul and essence of Britain has been destroyed by this pernicious Marxist/fascist doctrine, as of course was always the design. Hey, it served to get us into the EU, God help us all!

1. William, take a pill (or loads). What diversity has to do with the ideologies of Marx or Mussolini is beyond me. Maybe you care to explain (though I doubt you can).

2. Yes of course there is that huge section in the communist manifesto concerning LGBT issues. Of course who can forget Mussolini’s fervent speech in favour of LGBT rights. Oh wait, im sorry, that only happened in make believe land.

20. There’s only one way to cut the national deficit and that is by simply increasing taxes. The wealthiest should be paying more. The only way to create more jobs is to bring back the manufacturing base to the UK. Just like the U.S., major corporations have shipped the bulk of manufacturing jobs overseas resulting in fewer jobs and less revenue going to the Inland Revenue.. Until those jobs come back to the home country, there will never be a decent job market.

Cutting social programmes is not the way to do it either. Once you take away the ability of the public to spend money, there will be none to spend and in a recession, you have to spend your way out of it. The Tory government is taking us down the wrong road. This will be disastrous in the long run. We should take a look at Germany, the power house of the EU economy, hardly affected by the economic down turn

1. de Villiers 22 Mar 2011, 8:27am

> There’s only one way to cut the national deficit and that is by simply increasing taxes.

If it were that simple then France would be the most successful government and the most debt-free state in the world.

21. With the homosexuals wanting equality, I would have thought this would be good, then everyone can be equal in one Police Association, all together.

22. “If the police is such a good employer, people should be able to be openly gay with dignity but that’s not the case,” Mr Codling said.

Absolute rubbish and bloody infuriating. Look at Stonewalls’ top 100 employers and count how many police forces are in it.

The fact is that 1 million jobs were created in the public sector in the last 13 yrs which have now had to go. You can either have bobbies on the street or diversity and other support groups, not both. We simply cannot afford it. There are a lot of staff jobs that needed to go – and many ppl have a vested interest in keeping funding for various non policing roles; not necessarily the GPA. I have worked for many organisations and the police is THE most diverse aware and gay friendly i have ever experienced. we have may openly lgbt ppl in the force and we are all duty bound by force policy to promote diversity and equality in the workplace. If only ppl knew just how much emphasis goes onto diversity, they’d be bloody amazed.

1. It wasn’t like this 15 years ago, when victims of homophobic abuse would at best be ignored or laughed at by the police. We can afford both, bobbies on the streets and the support of diversity groups. It’s a matter of policy. If the police is diverse and somehow gay friendly now, it’s thanks exactly to the likes of the GPA and others, that worked to instruct about homophobia from within the forces.

23. The Gay Police Association and all its off shoots are a waste of money so its good to see that their funding has been scrapped. I survived the Force for many years and as soon as there was a local in force gay group I experienced more homophobia from within than I ever had.

1. I suspect that the creation of a new gay support group simply brought already existing attitudes to the fore. It often happens and is not a reason not to have lgbt visibility. It simply has to be tackled.

24. This will ultimately lead to the usual fact of life being “Them versus Us”.

I have worked with the Police on several occasions when a homosexual issue or problem has arisen in our local community.

Perhaps a government U TURN is needed ?. They are quite good at that !!

25. de Villiers 22 Mar 2011, 8:30am

This debate has become really skewed. The existence of the GPA is certainly a “good thing” and should be supported.

Whether it should be funded by taxpayers is another question.

The GPA should be funded by its own members and/or by fundraising activities. It should not be for the state and all taxpayers to fund particular interest groups or for such groups to consider that there is an entitlement to tax funding.

26. A bag of weed, a bag of weed,
    O everything is better with a bag of weed

You don’t need crack and you don’t need speed
    Because everything is better with a bag of weed!

1. Jock S. Trap 31 Mar 2011, 9:47am