BBC apologises for Hugh Grant’s gay rugby comment

1. stephen green, ain’t that the wife beating child abusing christian? As for hugo grant , hes just a bumbling idiot , who can only play himself in movies that stereotype english peeps , cause he can’t act.

2. Jesus! Are we really this sensitive? I heard the comment – there was absolutely no malice in it.

I know we have to stamp out homophobia, but do we really have to police this sort of drivel?

Sometimes I think we just need to chill the f*ck out a bit…

3. If you realize we have to stamp out homophobia, then yes we must police this sort of “drivel”

4. Simon Scott 14 Mar 2011, 6:00pm

i think we are way too sensitive about what people say! i say things like this and im gay. its political correctness gone mad and the bbc ends up apologising for anything that could potentially spark any sort of controversy no matter how small

5. What an ass and embarrassment Hugh Grant is!

I’d like to see Hugh the ass Grant say that in the same room with the great out rugby player Gareth Thomas!

Hugh would be very sorry indeed!

6. I quite like some of his films, but Hugh
    Grant is a prat in real life.

Yes, as David said in post two, this sort of thing has to be stopped if we’re ever going to tackle homophobia becaise the implication is that a gay man is less than a ‘real’ man and can’t play rugby. Gareth Thomas would beg to differ. Anything that implies that a gay person is less than straight is wrong, even if it is meant as a joke. It perpetuates the myth that has to be broken down if gay and straight are to be equal. So even if it is an inconsequental prat talking, it needs stamping on

7. Good job he didn’t say “Filthy dirty @ss-poking f@g” then, eh?

Effeminate men exist. Not all are gay. What would like people to call them? It’s not an insult, it’s a description.

8. As an avid rugby player I must agree, it does hurt less if you tackle hard rather than like a queen. A queen meaning a very effeminate male.

Id much rather the BBC didnt apologise about this, and instead stopped giving a voice to the antigay industry.

1. most people view the word queen as being gay.. There are lots of camp straight men such as grant, brand etc who are never called queen but could be considered effeminate in manner.

1. I still call them queens. and Russell Grant is about as straight as a pretzel.

9. Poor little Hugh, in a football environment with people he perceived as “real men”, he felt the need to try and prove that he is one of them by the old trick of putting down a homosexual person.

10. Michael Smith 14 Mar 2011, 7:10pm

Having been arrested for soliciting a Hollywood transvestite prostitute in 1995 (remember that?), Mr. Grant has no right to call anyone a queen.

1. I would have thought he had every right, considering he shagged one.

1. reckon she was the one doing the pounding.

11. The BBC should apologise actually. He was spotted in the crowd and the BBC thought they drag him in for a comment. He’d clearly been drinking, and is hardly someone who’s known for his insightful rugby commentary. They should have left him alone and not been such tarts about pulling a celeb in to talk on air…
    I knew someone would have to stoop to “political correctness gone mad”, pathetic and a clear indication they don’t have much of a clue about, well, very much at all. If you mean fairness, respect and equality – can you really go too far?
    Unfortunate and unecessary comment. Gay men can and do play rugby, as do gay and straight women. Let’s move on, shall we?

12. I’d like to see him get rugby tackled by Gareth Thomas, he’d get get obliterated!

I know Gareth’s not a “queen” (a term that I actually love). I’d just like to see him squash Grant :D while doing his bumbling posh English chap act.

13. Jock S. Trap 15 Mar 2011, 7:55am

Never trust a corporation who allows homophobia but picks and chooses which to apologise for. (Usually it’s the more trivial ones though whilst the serious mistakes get left.)

14. Who cares what he says – his pastimes include prostitutes in cars on Sunset Boulevard, the man’s a twat.

1. I agree, in a nutshell; what ever four letter expletive you prefer to call him

15. I wouldnt expect anthing better from him

16. “Should gay people face execution?”

The BBC refuses to apologise for the grotesque bigotry of this ‘debate';yet apologises when a drunk, frequenter of street hookers makes a mildly inappropriate comment.

No wonder I stopped paying my TV license 3 years ago.

17. It would help if people like Grant immediately clarified their remarks by saying that there are lots of gay rugby players that neither tackle nor make love like a ‘queen’, as I know from experience (ecstatic sigh). But clarification is not characteristic of unthinking comments in a world where we know how millions will hear them.

18. George Broadhead 15 Mar 2011, 12:24pm

I wonder if all those who have commented about this are aware that one of Hugh Grant’s early film roles was as Maurice, the gay character in the gay Humanist writer E M Forster’s novel of the same name.

1. Actually he played Clive Durham but good point!

19. Who Grant?

20. westcoastkid 16 Mar 2011, 3:00pm

Hugh Grant going on about queens. Most folks here in America have it as a given that he’s a queen.

21. This story is so unoffensive. To me anyway. I thought Id missed something and had to re-read it. If this is what you class as homophobic prejudice, then you ARE a queen and you need to have a word with yourself