US state department official resigns after calling Bradley Manning’s treatment ‘stupid’

1. Wow. And the USA calls itself a civilised country?

2. Paddyswurds 13 Mar 2011, 11:41pm

This is what telling the truth gets you in the Land of the free. This puts the activities of the Soviet Union of old to shame never mind a so called civilised country. Does Barak Obama agree with this. Does he even know about it.???

3. This debacle and others have made me ashamed of what my country (the USA) has become. We used to be a nation of laws, due process, innocent until proven guilty – all those ideals that we used to tout as how good we are and that we wanted to share with the rest of the world. Now its religious terrorism, demagoguery, and plain old ignorant hate. Where did we go wrong? More importantly, can we get back on the path and how do we do it?

4. Dan Filson 14 Mar 2011, 2:29am

Three separate issues here:
    1. If guilty, Bradley Manning has been reckless with information that could have put fellow servicemen at risk. Him being gay is not relevant.
    2. The Defense Department spokesman should have stayed on message, that’s his job. not to offer his own opinions.
    3. The treatment of prisoners by the USA is often inhuman (though suicide watch is sensible, but should not be used as a pretext for deprivation of sleep), the whole concept of Guantanomo Bay is a disgrace – having a detention facility without trial, deliberately outside the jurisdiction of the US.

5. Jock S. Trap 14 Mar 2011, 7:34am

America – Land of the Free = What a joke!

6. Agree with Dan Filson that Manning’s sexuality is not the issue. However, this treatment of him is appalling. America cannot preach to other countries such as Libya when they treat their own people like this

7. de Villiers 14 Mar 2011, 8:21am

> This puts the activities of the Soviet Union of old to shame never mind a so called civilised country. Does Barak Obama agree with this. Does he even know about it.

The behaviour which really is disgraceful. It is similarly disgraceful that there have been no demonstrations about this. If George Bush were still the President, I would expect much more public outrage.

Nevertheless, this in no way puts the Soviet Union to shame. The Soviet Union saw one party rule, secret police that spied on everyone, the murder and torture of millions of Russians, widespread poverty, no press freedom and murder of political opponents.

8. Just wandering – why is it importing for him not to commit suicide?

9. Disgusting, inhuman treatment. When I first heard this on tne news I thought I must have heard wrong, but reading it here in black and white is chilling.

10. Disgusting treatment.

11. This is scary and outrageous. How can a country treat its citizens that way?! USA disappointed me once more…

12. whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? land of the free?

13. “Mr Manning resigned”

Sack the proof reader!

14. That is truly terrible. I have no doubt all countries do the same.

15. To me, this is bordering on torture. Most of what has been revealed by Wikileaks has proved to be true. I guess in America, truth hurts hence the harsh reaction by the U.S. military. From what I’ve read, there are some republicans who have called for this young man to be put to death by lethal injection. So much for the uncivilised land of the “free.” What a joke! Wait until the right wing religious nutters find out he’s gay, then they’ll use that to villify us even more. I can just hear that evil piece of human garbage, Fred Phelps spewing his venom.

16. Robert, these republicans are right. Lethal injection is the best possible treatment this man can expect during the rest of his life.

17. PumpkinPie 14 Mar 2011, 5:59pm

Nevertheless, Manning is in the right place.

Manning is a hero. What a scumbag this man is to say such a thing. I sure hope he enjoys being unemployed!

1. Paddyswurds 14 Mar 2011, 11:40pm

The reason he had to resign is because he said the treatment of Manning is stupid and counter productive. Saying he was in the right place ie Jail wasnt why he had to resign.

1. Oh, I was actually aware of that, Paddyswurds. I just wanted to point out how this guy is still a US army-loving critic of Manning, so I essentially don’t care that he lost his job. Maybe I’m being a little mean – I don’t think people who disagree with me should lose their jobs – but, it happened and it made me chuckle a bit, regardless.

Don’t think I’m backing the people who forced him to resign, though. They’re much bigger scumbags than he is for sure. Much, much bigger. He said something callous, they’re trying to cover up government-sponsored torture. They’re definitely the bigger villains here.

18. Is it any wonder that America hasn’t got any friends……… only ‘interests’ Nothing short of a backward nation!.
    Any ‘detainee’ should be treat with dignity.