Government ‘will work with FA to encourage gay footballers’

1. Unless the government acknowledges the deep-seated institutional homophobia of the FA, and comes up with a concrete plan to address this homophobia, then I don’t see the point of this.

It is not the press or the public who have created a situation where a gay person cannot come out. Fans of rugby, hurling, cricket are no more homophobic than football fans. Those sports are run by organisations which have a more mature, accepting and responsible attitude towards homophobia..

The FA is itself homophobic. And until they address that issue (and sack the vile old bigots on the board of the FA) then I’m afraid football will not change.

I remember when the FA pulled out of the anti-homophobia campaign like a pack of cowardly rats. They got their spokeswoman onto Newsnight to claim that it was not the FA’s responsibility to create a non-homophobic atmosphere for gay players. Yet somehow the FA accepts that it IS their responsibility to make sure that the FA has clear anti-racism policies.

2. What’s needed is for a batch of gay players to get together and come out en force. If half a dozen players came out then it would take the focus off one individual and would encourage others to do the same.

1. Jock S. Trap 10 Mar 2011, 2:57pm

Actually that makes sense and would work.

3. Why doesn’t the FA have a strict ‘No homophobia in the terraces’ policy like they have with racism.

Why does the FA regard homophobia as less problematic than racism?

1. Jock S. Trap 10 Mar 2011, 2:58pm

Because like racism they want to carry on thinking a) it don’t happen and b) if it does it doesn’t matter.

Bad case of denial.

2. Gay Football Supporters Network 10 Mar 2011, 4:33pm

Hi David, the FA do have a ‘No homophobia on the terraces’ policy, they just don’t necessarily publicise or police it enough. It is now an official offence in the ground rules in the same way as racism. Its only been in force for a couple of years so stewards etc are still getting used to it but more does need to be done. We at the GFSN are working with the FA to get them to improve this. Check out our website or Facebook page for more info and debate.

1. Well it’s not working.

Homophobia is tolerated on the terraces in a way that racism is not.

This is the responsibility of the institutionally homophobic FA.

The FA is clearly not fit for purpose.

I think an independent regulator is required and for massive fines to be be imposed on the FA when they repeatedly fail to deal with homophobia.

2. Jock S. Trap 10 Mar 2011, 4:56pm

Much more visible action needs to be taken to stamp out all forms of discrimination.

4. Jock S. Trap 10 Mar 2011, 2:56pm

I’ll believe it when I see it! Football is stuck in the Dark Ages.

5. Proud Gay Canadian 10 Mar 2011, 3:38pm

Don`t you feel that at least it`s a step in the right direction and not backwords ??? Yes, a group coming out would be wonderful to see, but will it happen !!

6. my experience from the footy grounds, rugby stadia and cricket venues I’ve visited is that the average footy is is hugely more homophobic than cricket or rugby followers.
    I’ve never met a game administrator but suspect they mirror the fans not the other way round.

7. AlasdairDubh 10 Mar 2011, 4:44pm

Why work with just the FA? I thought it was the government of more than just England.
    I think Dromio is right, a squad of players coming out would be better.

8. Dan Filson 10 Mar 2011, 5:36pm

I’ve never met the FA en masse – frightful thought – and cannot judge if they are homophobic than the next sporting governing body. But the individual clubs are the employers of footballers and under the Single Equality Act they have a statutory duty from 1 April to ensure their gay staff are treated equally and fairly. They could begin by all putting up a poster to two on the lines of Some professional footballers are gay – Get over it. And match programme full page ads likewise.

9. Living stateside, I really admire the progress being made in Europe. And I think it’s fantastic that you have a trans-woman as your British Equality Minister. It gives a lot of hope for the western world.

1. Helen Wilson 11 Mar 2011, 4:54am

Lynne Featherstone is not trans :)

Unless the NHS has made some remarkable surgical improvements to its surgical reassignment procedures.

Lynne has given birth.

10. I don’t know what the solution is but personally I’m getting a bit sick of pretty words from the govt with no substance behind them..the sentiment is there in words with so many things now but what exactly have they done so far on any LGBT issues…I’m sorry but I’m still stunned by the fact that we are still waiting for more legislation and consultation on religious CPs after more than 1 yr…I , therefore ,hold out very little hope in this new announcement from Lynne Featherstone….

11. This is starting to sound a lot like harassment to me. There will undoubtedly be a number of footballers who do have sex with other men but who do not identify as gay or who predominantly sleep with women.

Why is the lobby so intent on labelling every man who sleeps with a man “gay”? In this day an age there are less hang-ups around sexuality and a greater inclination to experiment beyond ones own sexuality.

It smacks to me like the gay lobby is desperate to appear more visible than it really is, because “gay” as a lifestyle choice is diminishing as sexuality becomes more integrated and fluid.

You can hear it in the death throes of those on here who choose to make their sexuality their religion and scream and shout about it. Look around you guys. Gay culture is is decline, meeting places are closing down, so get that gay chip off your shoulder once and for all and, deep breath, CHILL!!

12. …besides, why should genuine gay footballers need to feel they have to come out at all, just to appease the demands of the fanatical gays who are desperate for more visibility?

Has it not occurred to them that gay footballers may not feel the need to declare their sexuality just as their team-mates don’t feel the need to shout “Hey, I’m straight!”

And if their team-mates did shout “I’m straight” all over the place, wouldn’t that be an inverted form of homophobia?

Perhaps gay footballers out there view coming out as tantamount to feel that they would be admitting to a guilty secret. And who’s to say they are not out with their family and friends?

So lay off the lads and let them do what they do best – scoring goals rather than scoring down the Market Tavern!

1. wow you’re a bit of a cnut

1. but you are clearly a sweet and tollerant person!
        surely nobody should be outed if they don’t want to come out.
        lets do something to change the attitudes within the sport without damaging individuals – coming out (on the threat of being outed) didn’t help fash all that much!