Video: Is the new Foster’s ad homophobic?

1. No. If anything it’s taking the piss out of that whole macho bro-code culture, so it’s hardly homophobic.

It’s all about context, not content necessarily, and in the context that the advert is in, I personally don’t see it as homophobic at all.

1. Oh common, seriously, who on planet earth became so uptight as to call this homophobic ?! Blimey, complaints like this will wear the term ‘homophobic’ so thin it’ll become an increasingly useless word. As a gay man, I thought this was good chuckle that more than anything, just a good piss-take of awkward moments between male friends. And I’m more than happy for dudes in skimpy swimwear to appear in more ads.

1. and oops, didn’t mean to directly reply to you there James, silly me.

2. Nor me, it’s mildly amusing but not homophobic

3. I don’t think it’s homophobic at all. Like James said, if anything it takes the mickey out of straight guys…

4. Australians NEVER drink Fosters.

5. It just shows the insecurity of straight men, nothing homophobic at all. Who the hell thought this needed flagging up? They’ll be having Mrs Brown’s Boys up before the beak next for insulting trans people!

Funny ad, keep it on the tv.

6. Christine Beckett 4 Mar 2011, 2:56pm

“If anything it’s taking the piss out of that whole macho bro-code culture,”

Yes.. I find myself agreeing with that.

chrissie

7. Fer chrissakes. Are we all out of real problems again?..

8. Bill (Scotland) 4 Mar 2011, 3:21pm

A friendly message to whoever conjures up these non-stories at PinkNews: Get a life!

9. I agree with the bro-code comments..and don’t think it is homophobic.

It made me smile

10. Agreed James, some people need to get a life and stop whingeing.
    Anyone here complain about this advert? x

11. I sometimes think this rag tries to take a non-story and whip up some kind of furore for the sake of it.

The only people that might take offence are Australians who may consider it rather stereotyping their nationality, but no more than Brits all wear bowler hats and carry umbrellas.

12. Richard Pickles 4 Mar 2011, 3:29pm

Nothing homophobic in it at all, it’s funny but nothing else.

13. Andrew Jones 4 Mar 2011, 3:32pm

It’s hilarious!!!

14. Hey lets make a crisis out of an unfunny advert and call it Homophobia – Is it any wonder the real Ozzies call us Whinging poms!

GET a F@#King Life Mr Brewer or buy a dictionary and learn the definition of Journalist!!

15. cybernoelie 4 Mar 2011, 3:43pm

If you have a jailbroken iPhone and go to the cydia app you can download a free app call GayDetectorPro – now that’s homophobic not this silly advert.

16. Pink News ought to get a life and report REAL stories etc…stories like this crap arent even worth the space…so Pink News, get a grip

17. This advert made me laugh when I first saw it. It’s not homophobic. Please, Pink News, stop giving cause for people to call us drama queens and suggest we overreact about stuff like this.

18. I wouldn’t say it’s homophobic. Well, I was joking, barely get a word or two of what they are saying, if that is English at all.

19. I didn’t think the ad was homophobic. It makes a great
    change to see something not homophobic on here as a
    story too. It made me think not everyone is bad.

20. I loved it. :-p Those adverts always cheer me up.

I fail to see anything homophobic though. They don’t mention homosexuality at all, in fact…

21. A bit stupid, yes ! Homophobic ? no !

22. Looks like it’s taking the piss out of insecure ‘straight’ boys to me. Non-story.

Here’s a real one to report: http://www.facebook.com/l/ad24c/www.channel4.com/news/international-preacher-odulele-admits-sex-offences
    Another hypocritical boy-molester-preacher

23. Funny, amusing, takes the piss out of macho culture

I know Aussies don’t drink Fosters

Not homophobic in the least

24. It’s just a crap advert from a crap brand about crap beer. I understand why it could be construed as (mildly) homophobic, but it’s more of a weird homage to the insecure straight man than anything else.

25. I actually thought this advert was pretty light-hearted, bordering on funny. Humour is simply poking fun at someone, and this advert certainly isn’t being homophobic.

26. I agree – not homophobic and not worth reporting.

Reinforces gender stereotypes which oppress men, but I don’t think it is the place of a beer advert to be worrying too much about these things.

Whoever decided to scream homophobia at this should calm down and put their efforts somewhere more useful.

27. It’s sending up Australian laddishness. It’d make more sense for an Australian to be offended at this advert than a gay man.

28. MyLyricalDreams 4 Mar 2011, 7:11pm

Rubbish. Not homophobic in the slightest, it’s a bit of tongue in cheek humour about masculinity – some people need to develop a thicker skin and stop being so politically correct! All this crying wolf now neutralises when there really is a problem!

29. It seemed pretty homophobic to me, albeit implicitly rather than explicitly, in its perpetuation of traditional fear-of-being-thought-gay attitudes so prevalent in unreconstructed macho culture. If it was supposed to be sending those attitudes up or subverting them then I’m not at all sure it succeeded. I saw no evidence that this was the intention.

1. “I don’t drink alcohol, but if I did then I certainly would not be drinking this stuff, even though it has the same name as my darling beloved.”

What? He’s called ‘recycled piss’ too? ;)

2. Paddyswurds 4 Mar 2011, 10:20pm

@ VP… get a life, ffs. Next thing you’ll be saying it’s homophobic of the BBC that they dont have a gay story on every news slot.. Cop yourself on …..

1. Paddyswurds 4 Mar 2011, 10:23pm

… 32 comments and yours is the only one that thinks this is in any way homophobic, VP….does that not tell you something….Get a life ffs.

1. because popular opinion is always the surest indicator of the truth of a matter. This we know to be a fact self-evident.

1. VP. Nice one and I agree with you. To be thought to be gay is horrifying to some people and satire usually comes with a nudge and a wink I didn’t get that

2. Never trust consensus, Paddyswurds. ;-)

1. VP and James!

Man up the pair of you, eh. I am amazed either of you ever set foot out of your houses.

2. I am quite male enough thank you very much. Y-chromosome and everything. But I find the trite phrase “man up” to be rather insulting, and similarly perpetuating of outdated gender stereotypes. Simply expressing concern over implicit societal homophobia does not make anyone less “manly”. “Manly” is itself a culturally loaded and misleading term. The repressive Victorian days where men were expected to be silent and stoical and unfeeling are thankfully long gone, and we should resist strongly all blinkered patriarchal attempts such as this to insinuate that there is any such thing as gender-appropriate behaviour, especially along traditional unreconstructed lines.

3. I agree with you VP. The “sending-up” of macho attitudes, if that was the intention at all, could and should have been made clearer. I’m not Australian and I could possibly be missing subtleties that are more apparent to members of this culture, but if I had seen this advert when I was a repressed and vulnerable gay teenager it would have come across as reinforcing the ubiquitous message “do not desire other guys, and do all you can to avoid giving any impression that you do”.

4. I’m a bit indifferent to this advert but i am appreciative that you can offer a more individual perspective on it. But i do agree the media is laden with subliminal messages of homophobia even much more than this instance. Whats more revealing is how many legs up marys commenting on here would abandon all principle just forra swoon over some guy in speedos. Maybe the pr of the advert had the idea after all.

30. This is as much an attack on gay men as a drag act is an attack of women.

Isn’t the idea that straight guys can finally find something funny in their worst excesses something to applaud rather than attack?

Bring it on, guys……

31. No. It’s not homophobic. It’s making fun of straight male homophobia/insecurities. If the chap in yellow speedos was presented as a gay stereotype, and hence a bloke to be avoided, then it would be a different matter. The last batch of “funny” doritos ads were much more questionable.

32. Paddyswurds 4 Mar 2011, 10:13pm

ffs what next…Has Pink News had a bad news day or what???, In what way could this be contrued into a homophobic ad or indeed a news story for that matter. It’s really a send up of straight guys if anything. I think as a gay man that this is making a mock of PInk News . I have laughed at this ad from it was first shown and as a 60yo gay man i didn’t find it in the slightest bit homophobic. Why hasn’t there been a story about the racist John Galiano? would be more like a gay story. All the stuff that you could be reporting and this is the best you can do…. Cop on and get a grip.

33. funny? yes ^..^ very much so XD but I think calling it homophobic is going too far ^..^’

34. I don’t like fosters drink. I love these adverts.

It’s not homophobic, it as others have said is mocking straight mens insecurity.

35. Slow day at Pink News. Yawn.
    I’m going to complain to the PCC about this site inventing stories about homophobia.

36. Bad luck PN. Your latest attempt to stir up homophobic outrage where it simply does not exist has badly backfired, and what twats you look. What a pathetic, despicable, baiting, rabble-rousing excuse for a so-called gay news web site this has become.

37. hate the drink and its not funny.i find the fact its such a dull advert more irritating.

38. I don’t think it’s homophobic. I’m more bothered by the stereotypical ocker attitude, which I’m getting really sick of (even if it’s not serious).

39. Australian’s really are speedo’s phobic, you must wear board shorts and have them tugged down sitting just above your pubes and to show the top of your crack at the back, it’s the Australian uniform.

40. I thought it was funny – homophobia never crossed my mind until I read this non-story and I still don’t see any homophobia

41. declan taylor 5 Mar 2011, 10:40am

As a gay man I think I can say that anyone who finds this ad Homophobic needs to go look up its diffinition. Comparing this ad to what many gay/lesbian/and trans gendered people have to go through each day around the world is pathetic. Political correctness gone mad. Its a clever ad and quite funny.

42. Robert (Kettering) 5 Mar 2011, 12:33pm

I love this advert and to me it takes the p*ss out of straights. By the way, I love the short guy in the yellow speedos, very cute indeed.

43. Not homophobic.

Is the purpose of gay rights now to stop blokes being blokes?

“budgie smugglers” – lol

44. Found a stupid banned word here on Pink News, couldn’t understand why my posts were rejected as they don’t give a reason.

The word describes a kind of giggling (think of Mutley) but contains a derogatory word for black people with an s at the front.

You would think they would tell you why the post was rejected instead of just not posting it, I used it twice and thought they just didn’t like me any more, or maybe they thought I was gay and were being homophobic, now there is a story.

45. Samuel B. 5 Mar 2011, 1:17pm

Yet another shameful, pathetic and disgraceful attempt by Pink News at a non-starter of an incendiary story to get the pack dogs ranting and raving. Thank goodness PN readers no longer seem to be taking the bait and common sense is prevailing. Well done everyone (well, almost everyone)…

46. Skinny Dipper 5 Mar 2011, 1:25pm

I do think this ad is implicitly homophobic. The hidden message is don’t look gay by wearing a speedo. Somehow, it’s OK to support gay rights so long as you or your straight friends don’t look gay. Don’t wear a speedo. Don’t wear a pink T-shirt. Don’t listen to ABBA.

47. LOL, you couldn’t make this out. Now PN, as well as stirring the gay community into acting as thought crime police, is deleting certain postings as they are loaded on the basis of selective words which it deems are offensive? I think Pink News is fast becoming the news story here. What a deeply unpleasant, almost fascist-like site this is fast becoming. Has PN been taken over by Stonewall or something??!!

48. Men aren’t scared they’re gay.

They’re scared people will think they’re gay.

And that says more about homophobia than anything else (but I don’t think the ad is).

1. Skinny Dipper 5 Mar 2011, 3:16pm

I think you’ve nailed it. I ask straight male commenters who state that this ad doesn’t show homophobia if they would wear a speedo at their local beach or pool. Would you be comfortable seeing other men wearing speedos?

49. JackAlison 5 Mar 2011, 3:00pm

In Australia the common, ‘she’ll be right mate’ attitude is responsible for the callous disregard of many heinous acts carried out against minorities, including gays. The beer/alcohol culture here is famously always one step away from intimidation and violence which has not decreased, particularly against gays. There are numerous alcohol fuelled assaults that start out exactly like the this advert with str8 heterosexual codes of conduct of what it is to be male. I cringe when I see adverts because they are all too vivid reminders of bevioural precursors to violence particularly meted out by 20 something men who do the rounds of gay precincts in Melbourne and Sydney(actually much worse in country areas.) A ‘wrong’ look or an incorrect advance can land u in the emergency room. Adverts like this perpetuate bro culture that is more sinister than lighthearted.

50. It shows up the delicate sensibilities of so called macho man, nothing more.

51. @JackAlison
    I very much take your point and the same would be true in country areas in other nations.
    Feeling at ease with being gay is largely a city preocupation which doesn’t exist outside.
    It can also depend from country to country.
    eg Spain for instance has gay marriage which is forward thinking and just.
    However for those of you who use Gaydar just have a look a the profiles in Sitges, one of the gayest places in Spain. The vast majority of profiles will have no pictures let alone face pics.
    It’s a long long road that nees to be travelled.

52. In essence – I’d give the one in yellow trunks one!

1. Robert (Kettering) 5 Mar 2011, 5:23pm

So would I, he’s very cute & definitely sh*gabble!!

53. Dear Pink News Readers

I would like to bring it to your attention that My boyfriend have invested our sklls in creating a riveting top quality video to inspire a semse of courage and pride to LGBT youth following the surge in gay suicides.We hope the video reaches as many LGBT people as possible and would like your support in this regard,instilling a sense of self worth.After all has been said and done,we are who are.Period.Hope you enjoy
    Its okay to be gay

Sorry for the spam.Please support the movement

54. As a gay man my interpretation of this ad is that the straight guy with the lotion problem is in fact being mocked by the avertising agency for his reluctance to apply lotion to his friend it ridicules the uber-str8 attitude as did the ads for fosters that mocked the uber-macho man in their ad with the tag line ‘ I guess we over did it with the sherry!’
    Oversensitivity does nothing to further gay rights, try dealing with real homophobia…bloody faggots! LOL

55. Philip Morris 6 Mar 2011, 12:16pm

it is clearly homophobic. It plays up to the psuedo machismoof hetrosexual men. If a straight guy neds advice before helping a friend with suncream why does the world need to know. He is clearly not comfortable with applying cream to his friends back…. not arm…. not upper thigh…. not ass… but back!. My straight friends would do it o questions asked becuase they are comfortable in their sexuality. !!!… Fosters is so still based in the past!

1. Bob Bowden 9 Mar 2011, 12:52pm

“He is clearly not comfortable with applying cream to his friends back…. not arm…. not upper thigh…. not ass… but back!”

There’s no subtext to ‘back’ – the reason is he could do all those areas himself. He can’t do his own back. Duh.

56. Whats shockig to me is that anyone could believe a macho bloke would drink this piss weak brew. i used drink it when i was bout 12 and its only use is as a mixer with spirit.

57. As a gay man, is it homophobic -no, is it funny – yes. Are we not taking things too far now.. we lose the golliwog from a jam jar, maybe we should look at things in a real light…it is an advert, it is not life or death.

58. Tom Stoppard 6 Mar 2011, 10:07pm

Lots of comments on here along the lines of “It’s not homophobic” and a couple saying “it is homophobic”.

Nobody seems to be particularly respectful of the other person’s point of view. Everyone seems to think they are right and that there is only one way of understanding this advert.

I didn’t find the advert homophobic. But I accept that a small number of people do, and I’m not going to make fun of them.

1. Well done Tom we are allowed to disagree

59. I think it was funny. Are taking political correctness a bit too far? Let’s keep a since of humor.

1. Bob Bowden 9 Mar 2011, 12:54pm

Here here.

I’m pig sick of people whining about trifling matters and the rest of the world has to be ‘censored’ to keep everything neutral and insipid enough not to offend.

I respect that this offends people. Plenty of stuff offends me. I just get on with it. Adverts really oughtn’t be used as a moral compass or relied upon for social awareness. They’re make-believe. They’re idealistic. They’re bloody adverts!

60. Jock S. Trap 7 Mar 2011, 5:48pm

No it’s not. Me thinks mountains and molehil with regards this ridculous story.

Me think some are taking things too seriously and making problems that just ain’t there.

61. The opening paragraph reads: “Complaints of homophobia are brewing over the latest TV ad for Foster’s lager.”

Where exactly is this homophobia brewing from? The article is based on one viewer complaint. Sounds like PinkNews brewed this one up itself.

1. im thinking it must be someone with too much time on their hands who sits and psycho analyses everything on TV.

I couldn’t be any less offended

62. if thats homofobik im not queer! fab ad….

63. I think it’s pretty funny, actually.

64. Bob Bowden 9 Mar 2011, 12:42pm

This claim of “This is not going to help anyone who is ‘straight’ and hangs out with straight men but thinks he might be gay…”

Erm, since when have Adverts had a moral responsibility to provide a ‘safe’ environment for people’s emotional and psychosexual issues?

More heavy-handed nanny-state whining?

Lets start a campaign on how the Dolmio puppets are racial stereotypes?

Or how about how Boots / Freederm adverts portray men as inferior?

Get a grip. Life’s tough. Get on with it.

65. It was really funny and I personally wasn’t offended.

66. I complained to the ASA about this ad. It is homophobic. The implication is v clear. If a bloke puts lotion on another man then people might think he’s gay and that would be bad, i.e. it’s saying that being gay is shameful, embarrassing or not “manly”. It might be low level and subtle, but it’s clear. Just because it’s not overt or glaringly offensive doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be flagged and commented on. We live in a society where Chris Moyles can use “gay” as a pejorative term on a daily basis and escape censure, and the Fosters ad is part of this same problem. It tells people that it’s OK to espouse these attitudes and behaviours in the work place or the playground. You are free to disagree with me, but please don’t make it unpleasant or personal. And for the record I have a good sense of humour, I find a range of things funny, I’m not obsessively PC, and I “have a life”. A very full, busy and happy one in fact. Perhaps the ad’s biggest crime is that it’s not funny.

1. Jock S. Trap 10 Mar 2011, 3:17pm

Oh great so we’re all lumbered with the ones who clearly need to get a sense of humour transplant. What a bore.

1. Jock S. Trap 10 Mar 2011, 3:19pm

You say don’t get personal yet you’ve clearly taken this ad personal. It was taking the piss out off straight stereotypes. Nothing to do with homophobia. If you had a life you’d know that.

1. Thanks for your comments. You’re not lumbered at all. You’re perfectly free to disagree, as you have done. It’s a shame you had to resort to personal remarks though. I have a life, a very full and happy one, in fact. I made my opinion plain through clear, considered and logical argument, without trading insults. If you’d like to explain how this ad mocks straight stereotypes, I’m open to being persuaded. I didn’t see that. I heard a lot about scented candles and power ballads though (gay stereotypes). Feel free also to counter my claim that this ad necessarily assumes being gay is something to be avoided at all costs for the “comedy” to work. No one on here has done that yet. I didn’t cry myself to sleep over this ad, nor do I think it’s the most offensive thing I’ve ever seen, but I objected to the attitudes it legitimises which is why I took a quick five minutes to contact the ASA.

2. Mr. Scott Aron John Reynolds 10 Mar 2011, 4:24pm

I Have To Say, Its Sad You Wasted The ASA’s Time & Funding,

When They Could Have Been Looking At More Important Things, Like Broadband,Telephone, & Mobile Phone Providers, Claiming To Be UNLIMITED & Getting Away With It, When Its LIMITED & CAPPED Services They Are Offering.

That Was Just One Far Complaint To The ASA & More Important, Than An Foster’s Advert That In NO WAY IS HOMPHOBIC AT ALL :/

Even Some Gay Men Would Find It Uncomfortable To Put Sun Tan Location On To Another Many, Exspecially If In Yellow Speedo’s, Or It Could Be An Older Father & His Son Who’s In Late 20’s & Both On Holiday, It Would Be Uncomfortable For Some People To Place Sun Tan Location On To Another Man,

Even If It Had Been One Man & One Woman, It Could Be Uncomfortable.

Its Meant To Be An Funny Tv Advert & Was Never & Has Never Been An Homphobic Tv Advert :/

I Dislike Foster’s, But That Tv Advert’s Funny & Good, & NOT HOMPHOBIC :/

67. oh fer fecks sake, get a grip. homophobic my arse.

The po-faced, humour-bypass crowd have taken over the asylum again. Is there a night class in islington or somewhere where they produce these people who exist purely to sit in front of screens all day trying to spot (alleged) homophobia ?

Who was it who said laughter is the distance between two people…

68. Benjamin Boyd 10 Mar 2011, 6:00am

Nonsense. This thing is just amusing. No attempt to insult anyone. They’re playing on the Straight men who are careful not to look gay. Love it! Must repost this ad on facebook.

69. Mr. Scott Aron John Reynolds 10 Mar 2011, 4:16pm

This Foster’s Tv Advert Is NO WAY HOMOPHOBIC :/

Have You Seen The 4 Hot Lads In It, & 2 Topless & One In TIGHT Yellow Speedo’s :P

Its Just Showing How Straight Men Find It Hard To Put Sun Tan Location On Another Straight Man, Without Getting Hard Or Uncofortable :/

Who Thought This Was Homphobic Was Either Taking The Mick Or HATES Fosters & Seeing Have Naked Men On Tv & There The Ones Who Are Probably Homphobic Or Old Fashioned :/

70. As an LGBT community we HAVE to stop being so sensitive. If we have a knee jerk reaction to everything we’re really not going to do ourselves any favours.

The advert is poking fun of the macho bloke stereotype. It’s all a bt of fun so get over it.

71. This advert is implicitly homophobic, it’s based on the idea that two males being in any sort of contact that may lead to arousal is something to be feared and ridiculed. The homophobia is implict rather than explicit as others have argued. I think the fact that some posters have called on those who agree with me to ‘man up’ and ‘stop being so sensitive’ suggests there is in fact something to be offended and upset about but that for some reason they shouldn’t be.

72. lightspout 21 Mar 2011, 9:41pm

The message in this ad’ is that fear of male homosexuality is understandable (poor Dean in Cyprus) and therefore perfectly normal and a cause for a good laugh. Fosters know exacty who they are targeting with this ad’. Fear of male homosexuality causes taunting, abuse, aggression, bullying, misery, fear and violence. Hilarious, right?

73. OMG it’s soooooo homophobic, quick call the police, special branch, the FBI, the NSA, and NASA!!!!

/s

74. Disgusting homophobic ad – why this is tolerated in 2011 is beyond me . This is a disgrace. the ASA should ban it. Very offensive

75. Yes it’s homophobic but it’s also taking the piss out of stupid straight men, so, even stevens.

76. My initial gut reaction to this wasn’t outrage, it was mild amusement. I cracked a smile to be honest.

As to whether this is homophobic, for me as a gay man, not really. I mean I can understand where other viewers may find it homophobic, but as one of the other comments on here said, its the context not the content.

Some of you will understand what I mean when I say that in “reading” this advert there is nothing blantantly homophobic in it.

If anything the guy is the “typical” alpha male worrying about what it means when their mate asks them with their sun cream. To which they phone in to the radio show for help. Who hasn’t heard it happen on national radio or TV?

It really is no big deal at the end of the day, there are worse things going on right now.

77. not homophobic just taking the mickey out of the str8 guys who may be uncomfortable with their own sexuality

78. Sean O'Dwyer 13 Apr 2011, 3:52pm

I agree, and wonder sometimes whether we may attract more judgement for being up tight at every possible homophobic thing. I ‘fear’ getting too close of confused messaging with women, that does not make me heterophobic, does it?

79. In my opinion the only good thing in that ad was that gorgeous girl, for the retarded men… didn’t even see them.

80. At the end of the day. If you wanted to you call anything homophobic, just find some tenuous link to it and its done.
    Its going to far. Calling this homophobic is if anything worse then the advert. Alienating people from ‘our’ stereotype to which who defines ?.

81. well no wonder gays are singled out when we allegedly kick off about an advert like this, I have absolutely no problem with it and find it very funny it certainly did not make me cry out “homophobia” get real and appreciate it, it’s a good well thought out ad and funny!

82. The adds are just funny,but wot the hell do they say at the end of the latest add?