New book claims Jesus can ‘cure’ gays and lesbians

1. Has he come back then? where can we find him?

2. My question has to be – How can we cure an over reliance on a genocidal bronze age war god created by goat herders and farmers to explain why the sun rises in the morning?

This urge to “cure” us strikes me as being alarmingly like a faith-based programme of eugenics – a demand that everyone is exactly like them, thinks like them and behaves like them, rather than celebrating diversity.

I know that I did not choose to be a lesbian. But I choose every day to live an honest and authentic life and no matter how hard certain christian sects try to make me feel denigrated or defective, I will celebrate who I am.

3. I think he’s still stuck to that bit of wood by the look of things…..

4. Jock S. Trap 23 Feb 2011, 11:32am

Oh the desperation these people will go to to get some kind of attention. Cured of what exactly? How we are born.

Firstly, saying one can be cured clearly means they still think how we are born is an illness.

Secondly I look forward to seeing how heterosexuals can be ‘cured’.

This is totally ridiculous. There would be uproar (rightly) if they’d brought out book on how to be cured of being black.

Maybe someone should do an edition on how to be cured of Christianity.

Yet again these people demonstrate how their Freedom means allowing them to discriminate against whatever the hell they like.

5. I wish Jesus had just stuck to curing leopards like he did in the later chapters of his biog.
    And to be honest, I don’t think the leopards needed curing either.

6. If I find the bloke responsible for all this nonesense I’m going to nail him to a plank of wood!

7. This Jesus bloke must be a bit dim trying to ‘cure’ something that is healthy and natural.
    Maybe this Jesus chap should be trying to cure these utter nit-wits?

8. I wouldn’t worry too much – it’s not like these people haven’t been fawning over badly written works of fiction for millennia.

9. theotherone 23 Feb 2011, 11:48am

the enjoyed white water rafting together? Is that a euphemism or something?

10. Helen Wilson 23 Feb 2011, 11:53am

I can cure you of religious belief, I just need four metres of electric cable with exposed wires one end and a plug on the other, a bowl of water and some sponges.

Any takers for this shockingly good therapy session?

11. The Other One –
    “they enjoyed white water rafting together? Is that a euphemism or something?”

It’s all completely innocent… she’s simply saying Ryan and Tony are into their watersports and I’d like to see anyone try to make crude innuendos out of that ;)

12. “Crossbridge Books publishes texts with a Christian theme. Other works include a book on how Christians can convert Jehovah’s Witnesses and how prayer can cure schizophrenia”

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Crossbridge Books promotes books that claim a cure Schizophrenia. I am sure the Royal College of Psychiatrist, and NICE will be interested in that one.

13. Hey – I have a cure for the religious – which IS a lifestyle choice – Take one Bible (a copy of the Koran will do just as well) and repeatedly beat the religious bigot across the head – until they see sense or die from their injuries – but don’t worry if they die they will get to meet their maker so everyone wins!

14. If only Jesus would focus his curative powers on homophobes and bigoted religious nutcases – that’s a Jesus I could really believe in!

15. He can cure homosexuality eh? Well there’s something sensational that would help shift a truck load of books to idiot Daily Bigot readers and deluded religious nuts if you happened to include it – how convenient!
    What about plumbing? Is this Jesus chap any good with that? It’s just that my central heating could really do with a miracle right now….

16. Flapjack – that’s a piss-poor pun, for sure!

17. “I know Jesus can heal them.”

He didn’t heal you of your stupidity, so forgive me if I stick to more believable sources.

Christian has become synonymous with idiot.

18. The Worcester News has given editorial time to promote this book

“We want them to read the book and find out more about the healing power of Jesus. A lot of people have been led astray and the present attitude is almost claiming that it is normal.”

19. May God have mercy on her soul. She’s not anywhere near as bad as Ms Phelps though.

20. Jock S. Trap 23 Feb 2011, 12:18pm

What gets me is this morning there were reports that said 4 of the poorest boroughs in London have the most children living in extreme poverty. Children that don’t have a hot meal, no heating etc

These areas tend to be very high in religious people.

How can people insist God put us on this planet to breed when the planet is not only over populated but those people clearly cannot cope with the children they do produce.

Where does it say that to breed children into this state or to be abandoned is natural?

Mother nature always finds way to deal with control of the species, therefore that would be right to believe that being Gay/Lesbian is just as natural as being Straight.

Difference of course Gays/Lesbians don’t naturally hate as much as out counterparts.

So who does that make the Evil ones!!

21. When I read the headline, I thought: Great, I’ve got a verucca he can cure, and how about the baldness too while he’s at it.

But it’s not general curing at all. What a swizz!

22. Jock S. Trap 23 Feb 2011, 12:23pm

Funny how ‘Jesus’ can help ‘cure’ homosexuality but wouldn’t his effects be better placed to cure cancer? Just a thought.

23. “…and how prayer can cure schizophrenia”

Says it all really, doesn’t it? We shouldn’t indulge these idiots. Some ‘beliefs’ are simply laughable.

24. He lived and he died. Leave Jesus alone already.

Even when I was a Catholic, I never understood this business of glorifying the messenger and not the message. Go read Potter if you love magic so much…

25. Whitewater rafting. Religious epiphanies. A character named ‘Tony’…..as books go its probably up there with anything Katie Price has had ghostwritten for her.

26. andrew howard-williams 23 Feb 2011, 12:51pm

Their God is supposed to have created the heavens the earth and all that is on it including mankind.
    Therefore God created Lesbians, Gays and Bisexuals as well as heterosexuals and continues to make them.
    If they believe their God to be all powerful and that he hates Gays then why has he not smite all of us off the face of the planet. These people are working against their own God and will no doubt burn in their hell fire.

27. Deeside Will 23 Feb 2011, 1:05pm

By the way, don’t waste time trying to find Ryan and Tony to see whether or not this story is true. As I gather from looking it up on the Amazon website, this trashy story is just a novel.

28. Dominic Davies 23 Feb 2011, 1:11pm

Well now we have discovered the Christian Gene we can soon eradicate these damaged souls from reproducing more offspring!

29. Dominic Davies 23 Feb 2011, 1:18pm

I’ve researched these so called ‘cures’ for many years in my work as a psychotherapist and sex therapist. They do such tremendous harm to people with their crazy ideas. Evangelical Christians seem to see us as an easy target.

Their hypocrisy knows no bounds, Stephen Green head of a large Fundamentalist Christian organisation was a wife beater http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1351585/Stephen-Green-rails-immorality-voice-Christian-Britan-private-wife-beater-says-partner.html

30. I have just looked up the book on Blackwells website

This is the synopsis Blackwell’s gave for the book

“A powerful novel involving adventurous sport, life-changing experiences, redemption and compassion. Ryan and Tony are friends who enjoy white water canoeing, but they have made some wrong choices. Ryan moves in with Tony, leaving his wife Janet and their two teenage children. However, Tony is so impressed by Janet’s inner strength that he is led into some dramatic experiences of the reality and power of Jesus. He is transformed, and his life acquires new meaning. Janet, her two children and Gramps are lovable characters who support each other, and there follows compassionate heroism.”

31. Why is Blackwells promoting this book?

Why is The Worcester News misleading the public by promoting this as a gay cure book, when in fact it is just a novel

32. So nowhere in the publisher’s blurb does it mention that Ryan and Tony are gay. Misleading info!

It’s a novel, in any case. fiction. just like ther Da Vinci Code or any number of works by Catherine Cookson and everything in between.

And many people believe, the bible is also one of those works of fiction. I personal am not mean enough to upset most of the Christians I know by saying so. But if they get me on a bad day, I just might.

33. It is easier for a christian to go through the eye of change; to be rid of his/her fantasies; than for an LGBT person to change their sexuality.
    Ok so it’s not an exact paraphrasing of the old eye & camel saying, but it makes more sense than this crap book…

34. TheSuburbanBi 23 Feb 2011, 1:45pm

“Jesus can ‘cure’ gays and lesbians”

Sure. But… why would he want to?!

35. The bottom line is, where is the scientific evidence to prove any of it? Not one of the ex-gay ministries has submitted any research with controlled studies to prove one gay person ever being cured. I wonder why? This is all nothing more than religion rearing its ugly head under a different guise.

36. I think this is a diversionary tactic to take us away from the census next month!

————————–
    Why should I tick the “No Religion” box in the 2011 census:

37. Revd. Sr. Maria Renate FCSF 23 Feb 2011, 2:15pm

Lets get a few things right here; first off, Jesus has not uttered one word about wanting to cure anyone in our community, nor has He ever referred to ever wanting too, or feeling the need too! if my memory serves me right, He actually restored the health of a young gay servant at the request of his Roman master. I think Jesus is big enough to answer for Himself, and futhermore, He cannot be summoned at will to heal some one who is’nt sick in the first place! silly misguided woman.

38. Dear Blackwell’s

I am concerned by your promotion of the following book.

Where is Your Brother?
    Marion Heath
    ISBN: 9780956178770
    Format: Paperback
    Publisher: Crossbridge Books
    Edition: 1

In the synopsis you gave this book on your website, you claim that this is a powerful novel about two men; who’s sexuality you do not mention?

The publisher “Crossbridge Books” have been promoting this book as a personal testimony story, with the claim that homosexuality can be cured through pray. This is misleading because this is not a true story; and does not meet the criteria for a personal testimony. As you point out in your synopsis, this is a novel; and not based on a factual account.

I am sure that you are aware that recently the British Association of Counselling and psychotherapy (BACP), is preparing to suspend a Christian counsellor who had claimed to be able to cure gay people. In addition, the Royal College of Psychiatrists and the British Medical Association, have outlawed the use of gay cure therapies; and is now committed to investigating such practices.

I would like a statement as to why you company is allowing this book to be promoted and marketed as a gay cure publication, and why you are supporting Crossbridge Books in this venture

Yours

. . . . . . . . . . .

Blackwell’s can be contacted via their online form

39. theotherone 23 Feb 2011, 2:32pm

the best way to combat ‘Christians’ – make filthy jokes at their expense.

Nice one flapjack.

40. Homosexuality is a morally neutral term and a sexual orientation. It is part of one’s being.

Heterosexuality, homosexuality and bisexuality are three normal, natural variations of sexual orientation, found throughout all societies, cultures, and eras.

A person’s eventual sexual orientation whether gay straight or bisexual is determined for them… if not from birth then certainly in very early infancy, before school age.

The tendency towards a particular sexual orientation is genetically predetermined at conception. Hormone levels in the mothers womb and a combination of a myriad unknown environmental factors may or may not determine a person’s orientation. Sexual orientation does not involve choice.

Sexual orientation in adults is unchangeable through deliberate means and as sexual orientation is not an illnes, there is no such thing as a cure for homosexuality.heterosexuality nor bisexuality.

41. I also find strange that god comes i the subject tons of replies -gay people get beaten on the street of the Uk never the same responds.

what a load of toffee this book is – can they not be done under the trades description act – prayer can cure schizophrenia

42. I’m looking forward to book 2, where Tony is caught in the public toilets with another straight man.

Tell us about the dinosaurs Jesus, go on ?

43. Rev Laurie Roberts 23 Feb 2011, 3:04pm

And thy think it is moral + Christian to split a loving couple up –right ?

what ballox !

44. Jen Marcus 23 Feb 2011, 3:06pm

Hmm, maybe if Jesus actually appeared to me and cured me of being a lesbian I might believe in Jesus as being God and even buy the book? : )

45. Rev Laurie Roberts 23 Feb 2011, 3:07pm

I wonder if this book breaks the law ?

There should be laws against this kind of dangerous nonsense.

46. @Gav . . .

I have just contacted Blackwell’s, and waiting a response as to thier view concerning CrossBridge Publishings; misleading promotional strategy

Please copy and send my e-mail to Blackwell’s and other book stores stocking the book.

47. The book is about two men called Ryan and Tony who enjoy whitewater rafting together.

And they are to be cured by a man who enjoyed the company of 12 sailors, sorry, fishermen, who also enjoyed playing around on boats.

48. One size fits all, that is how every human being should be. Imagine how much easier it would make the job of marketing.

This daft book attempts to promote the idea that a religious icon can solved a perceived ill and not the bigotry served its the author :(.

49. Nancy H Blomberg 23 Feb 2011, 3:41pm

This is sooo rediculous and funny…those people needs to learn being gay or lesbian is not a sickness, it is who you are….not a disease lmao..omg i cant believe this article

50. As someone who is gay and was Catholic, it has taken me most of my adult life to be happy with who I am. If you are told from early childhood that to be gay is wicked and will condemn you to hell, it tends to stick. As in my case, you can try to suppress it .but you certainly cannot ‘cure’ it. I am now proud to be the gay person I always was.

51. TheSuburbanBi 23 Feb 2011, 4:02pm

@Pavlos (above): brilliant post.

52. “Has he come back then? where can we find him?”
    He’s at mine Zefrog, i cured him of his bigotry and he became a gay =]

53. If these charlatans claim they can cure the gay, then let them prove that they can cure a straight orientation and then prove that being gay is a choice. I don’t think any straight would want to be gay, not with all the discrimination, stigma and denigration we are subjected to every day of our lives.

54. Staircase2 23 Feb 2011, 4:18pm

@ Elegir re “If only Jesus would focus his curative powers on homophobes and bigoted religious nutcases – that’s a Jesus I could really believe in!”

Im shocked that everyone is acting as if JESUS wrote this book.

The minute the debate is about religion or Jesus everyone goes gaga bollocks and cant see the wood for the trees.

Jesus is not ‘Christians’, Religion is not spirituality per se and one ignorant unfeeling person does not a spokesperson for Jesus make….

Jesus had some very good points to make – christians unfortunately collectively rarely do (leastways the ones who scream the loudest)

God Bless

55. Rev Laurie Roberts wrote

“I wonder if this book breaks the law ?
    There should be laws against this kind of dangerous nonsense.”

. . . . . . . . . .

Hi Laurie . . . I think the promotion of this book as a Gay Cure Testimony, rather than as a novel (Which it clearly is); may be against the trade description act.

56. A proud Gay Canadian 23 Feb 2011, 4:22pm

Now do I have to be cured of being a Canadian and Gay ? This trashy book just had to be written by a Canadian female, no less !! At 56, I am a proud and happy Gay Canadian who needs not be cured for who I am : a loving caring person of Canadian society. I do not need to be “cured ” but the author could certainly use some guidance in my opinion…. And to think, a UK publisher has agreed to publish such rubble !!!

57. I used to be a recovering christian but am now finally free of any trace of the disease.
    Now, if someone could help me get the cork out of this bottle we can all celebrate.

58. i think that given the state of beligerant humanity, especially anything church lead, any notion that any human can be cured, is misplaced.

why is this tosser getting free publicity ?

59. Just take a look at a picture of this daft of trout, I bet she has never met a well adjusted gay or lesbian person in her pitiful life…see link

“Our books deal with Christian themes and this is one we particularly believe in.”

“We are expecting it to be controversial because of its claim that Jesus can cure homosexuals and we are ready for the controversy.”

60. vile stupid fiction
    I bet there would be uproar if it was about how Jesus could cure race which is equally impossible and equally bigoted, it’s another stupid book from a stupid lady

61. Yes, I just had a revelation that n her next book which will be entitled “Where is your black brother?” Marion Heath will show how Jesus can cure people of the curse of black and brown skin and healing them make them white.

62. All I’ll say is they had to get a straight women to write a novel about gay men being cured, as opposed to actually getting a gay man who had been cured to write his testimony.

I’d say that’s pretty telling.

63. Will these people ever learn anything? This is getting boring. I thought we had got rid of this way ofthinking. It is obvious they are looking to make money out of this.

64. I have had a reply from Blackwell’s who have been selling this book.

I have attached their e-mail below.
    . . . . . . . . . . . .

Dear John Kay,

Thank you for your message which has been passed to the relevant department. We have also removed the title from our website although this can take 24 hours to take effect.

We hope you will accept our apologies.

Best Wishes

Blackwell Online Bookshop
    Customer Services
    Beaver House
    Hythe Bridge Street
    Oxford
    OX1 2ET

E-MAIL: blackwell.online@blackwell.co.uk
    WWW: http://www.blackwell.co.uk

65. good man, JohnK

:-)

66. JohnK rocks.

67. Can’t wait to meet her at the book signing.

68. Quick work, JohnK!

69. OMG . . . Folks . . . before this turns into a JohnK fan club.

Please . . . the praise to the Pinknews team for bringing these stories to our attention, without them; action would be so limited.

But thanks for your support

70. HELP NEEDED

If we can get more major booksellers to remove this book from thier stock, we may be able to gain wider media coverage on this issue.

Any one interested in helping out with the following:

1.To make a list of the top ten booksellers in the UK

2.investigate if any of them are selling the book

3. Investigate if this book is being promoted as a factual book or fiction

4. To contact the booksellers using the e-mail template attached on this thread

71. This dude Jesus who was supposedly born a bastard to an Arab woman, who wasnt stoned to death 2000 years ago for being an unmarried mother, had a penchant for gathering boys round him. The 12 apostles and the deciples were all men and his only female friend was a working girl who was a bit of a fag hag. There is no record of anything he said directly and he certainly never mentioned homosexuality even tho the Old testament fictonal work preceded him and went on at lenght about sex of all kinds…… one hundred percent of the new testament was written hundreds of years after he passed away and is an exercise in control freakery. Period

72. Not all Christians need to be vilified – some are gay …

73. I’m gonna write a book like this, then sell it to batsh*t crazy religious numpties and make a fortune!!!

74. FOLKS – THIS WHOLE STORY IS A PR SCAM. THE PUBLISHERS ARE JUST TRYING TO GET SOME CONTROVERSY.

Any anger should be directed at the Worcester News, who didn’t think to even check the facts. They would have found that science overwhelmingly says she is talking nonsense, as all religious nuts do. However, they posit this as a gays vs christians argument. In fact its fanatics vs reality. ASk the editor, Peter John, why they gave these Assemblies of God creationist lunatics such free advertising. We know of people who fell into such ex-gay cults, and as a result attempted suicide. Why won’t he tell the full story? His number is 01905 74 22 42.

75. “Not all Christians need to be vilified – some are gay …”

Should read: Not all Christians need to be vilified – some are gay – but most are just plane idiotic and hateful.

76. of course Jesus can change people’s sexuality.
    Just like he can turn water into wine, feed thousands of people on a loaf and a vacuum pack of haddock from Sainsbury’s, and coax dead lepers into getting up and walking around.
    I wish these shiksahs would stop talking rubbish about him!!

77. Suppressing one aspect of personality in favour of religion does NOT ‘cure'; any more than the acquisition of a religious faith will remove my freckles! I’d rather NOT be ‘cured’, thank you! Remaining psychologically healthy is much better, safer and happier for me and everyone else!!!

78. WHY did ANYBODY Even bother to go to their DUMB-Arsed, DUMB-Down “book” signing?

79. You do know it’s just a novel don’t you. Just like the Bible. There’s about as much chance of a cure for homosexuality as there is of finding ‘Jesus’ outside of the Bible! It was all a fantasy of St Paul! Learn your history you stupid people!

80. It’s interesting that this one is written by a woman; I wonder how deep her understanding of male homosexual behavior is? I also wonder how long it’s going to take people like her and Crossbridge to wake up to the 21st century and realise that they’re wasting their time writing and publishing this nonsense?

81. What these fix the gays groups do is turn people into pathological liars not only to others but to themselves.

If you dig long enough and deep enough into their personaltities, you get the most outrageous statements you could immagine – eg of hte matthew shepard grisly murder here in the USA in 1998, the individual I’m done this with – it took 2 years of monthly meetings, he said re the murder………..

“Matthew Shepards parents should have fixed him”

82. The Christ 28 Apr 2012, 1:16am

Love is the union of the female energy and male energy. The entire physical universe is a construct of spheres. Atoms, particles, the earth, and the universe as a whole are all spheres. The sphere is the combination of the 2 fundamental forces of nature: radiation force and gravitation force. The male force of radiation gives out energy and the female force of gravitation receives it. The equators of all spheres exude life and the poles receive. The sphere is the union of female and male, its is the symbol of love. The father has constructed the universe with this symbol of give and receive.

Love exists only between man and woman. Man gives and woman receives. Love is the never ending cycle of this repetitive union. The heart of a woman is restored by the man’s. The heart of a man is rewarded with the women’s. The passion of man restores the wisdom within woman. This restoration is called LOVE or CHRIST.

Gay men refuse to submit to women. They are selfish and do not know love.