America’s biggest firms pay for transgender treatment

1. Chutney Bear 22 Feb 2011, 1:59pm

Its not bloody essential, it would drive premiums up!

2. For some people, for whom gender dysphoria is causing severe mental health issues, the medical establishment agrees that such treatment is essential.

3. Chutney Bear 22 Feb 2011, 3:30pm

Get stuffed, its not as if its life threatening….

4. A great many treatments are provided as standard for conditions that are not directly life-threatening. Furthermore, mental health issues related to gender dysphoria are strongly associated with high rates of suicidality.

5. Chutney Bear did you actually read the article??

Transition is medically necessary as the only treatment for something which causes such mental distress that more than 40% of transgender people attempt suicide before they complete their treatment. Treatment is often prolonged without proper insurance cover as people have to save for each stage of medical treatment.

And as the article points out – there are so few people who will take advantage of this access that it will not have a noticably affect on insurance premiums. So whilst it will affect few, for those it does help it could actually save lives. Just because it doesn’t help you doesn’t mean it’s not important.

6. theotherone 22 Feb 2011, 7:22pm

‘Just because it doesn’t help you doesn’t mean it’s not important.’

I fear that, for chutney, it makes all the difference.

7. Chutney: why should anybody stand a chance at a happier life if they aren’t you?

8. Chutney, you obviously know so little about the incredible mental pain of gender dysphoria, before making such posts, do some research, then you wont come across as a brainless, uncaring moron.

1. I totally agree! I fought for my life in hospital last year because my dysphoria took me down to the lowest anyone could be, so suicide was my way out! That ruined my family and my friends lives. Before I came out my family and friends saw transgedered individuals as freaks and not normal. After my attempt in ending my life, I explained everything I’d felt for 18 years (when I knew I shouldve been a girl), those peoples mindsets change dramatically and the support I gained was phenominal.

Narrow mindedness gets you nowhere. People shouldn’t comment on what they know nothing off. Any person has a right to medical help. ANYONE!!!

9. Should open the door to all sort of requests for cosmetic surgery to correct features that are currently causing psychological distress.

10. I think it is great! Congratulations to those companies involved! As a shareholder, I would very much approve such payments for retaining excellent employees because let’s face it, ‘workers’ are hard to find!

11. Chutney Bear 23 Feb 2011, 10:45am

I need a penile extension, its causing me stress and anxiety, do I deserve to have it paid for? If it doesnt drive up insurance premiums I wouldnt have a problem with it but as it stands if people are struggling to get cancer treatement etc and the cost of insurance is being driven up with this drivel then put a stop to it. I think you bunch of queens ought to think about the cost implications of it….

1. PumpkinPie 27 Feb 2011, 2:31am

Is it making you suicidal?

12. Chutney Bear – please go and educate yourself before you make yourself look like any more of a bigot.

If your views on trans treatment weren’t bad enough, calling someone a queen when you don’t even know their gender or their sexuality is just rude.

13. Chutney Bear 24 Feb 2011, 4:42pm

@mallin

Well pardon me, go off and play with your tiara and leave the adults to discuss the issue

14. Chutney Bear, who else exactly are you disucssing this with? And why are you suggesting that I am a queen or like tiaras? You don’t know me, my gender or my sexuality.

15. Chutney Bear: “I need a penile extension, its causing me stress and anxiety, do I deserve to have it paid for?”

You have to appreciate there is a difference between vanity (which at the end of the day such an elective surgery is) and something that is medically necessary.

As for telling people to ‘get stuffed’ because they disagreed with you is both rude and immature.

Just because you doesn’t require transition yourself doesn’t make it any less difficult for those who live with it.

I would have thought that paying for it would be more cost-effective in the long run since it would mean the employee would be more productive thereafter, when he or she is comfortable. No?

And I’d just like to point out that not all trans people would even opt for surgeries and the percentage of people seeking treatment (be it surgically or not) wouldn’t be ‘that’ high since trans people are a minority.