East End residents tackle anti-gay stickers with love

1. theotherone 16 Feb 2011, 3:44pm

Good news but ‘we don’t think it’s Islamic Extremists’ well the quote’s not from Bertram Russell’s ‘Why I Am Not A Christian’

2. I just printed mine to start covering these! YAY1 Great minds.

x

3. Jock S. Trap 16 Feb 2011, 3:49pm

“Tower Hamlets council and the East London Mosque are expected to release a joint statement condeming the stickers.”

Why a Joint statement, who runs Tower Hamlets the council or the Mosque?

Could explain a lot.

4. Finally some good news fight the bastards one at a time

5. Zack Polanski 16 Feb 2011, 4:32pm

Hey James,

Love the passion.

I’d encourage you to consider the ‘bastards.’ We’re encouraging a new language (and possibly the oldest one going); the language of love and understanding.

x

6. Never mind covering up the offensive posters, they should have already been removed by Tower Hamlets Council!! I do not understand why they are still there!Its offensive material! Can you imagine how long an anti Islam poster would have remained in place!! Proberbly less than an hour! If Tower Hamlets Council really gave a damm about the gay community they would have been long gone! Shame on you!

7. Paul Sheppard 16 Feb 2011, 5:17pm

I quite agree John , it seems to me Councils all over not just Tower Hamlets have no backbone , and yes if this was an anti Islam poster it would of been down by now . And why on earth a joint statement !!!!!!

8. theotherone 16 Feb 2011, 5:34pm

now now boys, you don’t want to go upsetting any Minorities now do you (unless it’s Queers.)

Perhaps the Council agrees with the posters.

9. Co Chair Rainbow Hamlets 16 Feb 2011, 5:45pm

Check out http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=121836957827291
    or the most recent statements and information – a lot of work has been going on!

Actually the joint statement was an initiative of the LGBT forum Rainbow Hamlets to get cross-community condemnation. We approached the East London Mosque and suggested this statement yesterday.

10. Co Chair Rainbow Hamlets 16 Feb 2011, 5:49pm

If you find a poster please take a picture and attempt to remove in one piece. If you can then do not touch the sticky side and take to a police station. If you cannot, then report it and take it down or love bomb it. Please do try to take them down first so we can get forensic evidence and do remember to photograph and report them! Thanks!

11. theotherone 16 Feb 2011, 5:58pm

I’m sorry but why are you not taking these posters down yourselves?

12. just walking home from work and see two young asian men early to mid 20s putting up more up these stickers on new road in whitechapel.

13. Its good so see that some Muslim groups and the Mosque are united in condemnation of these homophobic posters.

14. theotherone 16 Feb 2011, 6:54pm

becky: photograph them and give the photograph to the police.

15. “Love” stickers wont be enough.
    What LGBT community of UK need to do is hold a big rally specially in Muslim dominated area of East London .
    Same type of Rally that they did during pope’s visit to UK
    .We have to show intolerant people their intolerance have no place in UK.Either take it or leave it to Pakistan

16. Why can’t they just put posters on top of them saying ‘if you don’t like the way we live….. GO HOME’

17. These stickers should have been removed IMMEDIATELY, never mind waiting till Friday. Becky: report these vermin to the police.

18. zack. You can love em. I’m done with that, mess with me I’ll mess you up. If I’m going out one of them is coming with me

19. I’ll be there. We can bring spray cans I presume!? :)

20. What on earth is going on in Tower Hamlets?

Why have these stickers not been removed?

21. Have reported the sighting to the police, theres a big lab on part of the road where they were doing it and its covered in cctv cameras, fingers crossed!
    x

22. “Less Hate Please”….how about no hate whatsoever???

23. theotherone 17 Feb 2011, 11:55am

fantastic becky – hopefully they’ll take it seriously.

24. Good on you Becky, here’s hoping something comes of it.

25. I think if everyone, on the next census proclaimed their religion as “GAY” we’d have a lot more rights in the eyes of the law!!

26. hi becky again

just been on my way home. never had a problem living around here ever. as i got to my front door a group of young asian men about 8 of them. very young 16.17sh tried to kick my front door in while spitting and punching my front door.
    i am a young woman on my own. i find this disgusting.

27. Terry Stewart 18 Feb 2011, 8:04am

Stickers appearing in East London declaring “A Gay free zone” should not alarm people, as this does not reflect the feeling of the majority of people who live here. We are concerned that Hate groups are prepared to use Homophobia, in an attempt to divide our community. Say no to all hate crime, Homophobia, Islamaphobia, Race and Domestic violence.
    Terry Stewart OUTEAST LGBTQ)

28. Becky – hope you are OK. That’s what concerned me when some posters suggested you take photos and call the police.
    It’s easy to say those things from the safety of an internet forum but best to remain anonymous to the best of your ability and try to be subtle about taking photos in the street.
    It sounds like they twigged it was you who called the boys in blue.
    This is why crimestoppers are sometimes the better bet as they accept anonymous tip-offs.
    Have you told the police about the latest?

29. The met were great last night, the two officers who came around seemed very clued up about the situation and it seems they are taking this very seriously.

30. @Becky – well I hope for your sake they’re on top of the situation.
    Best of luck

31. Random Lezza 18 Feb 2011, 7:48pm

We are organising a peaceful march through the area that was postered.

We understand that the majority of residents will welcome us and this will hopefully show the small, homophobic minority that we will not feel threatened by their vile behaviour.

We need all the support we can get and all are welcome.

32. what a heartwarming article and some heartbreaking comments. If you can’t see how it’s ridiculous to have an islamophobic/racist reaction to a homophobic act then you are no better than the idiot who put these stickers up in the first place.

33. English Defence League website taken down in protest. This wasn’t Muslims, it was the EDL.