Clerics furious at Londonderry gay sauna

1. Thats funny, thats exactly how i feel about churches. Centres of anti-human, delusional hate that DO cause death and suffering.

2. I always imagined places such as saunas were neutral territory. Just like gymns in general – there for keeping fit.

I’m not being anti gay at all – I just don’t see the significance. I am gay btw.

3. What a disgrace those Baptist and Free Presbyterian clerics are – you’d think they’d have a clearer idea of what “killer behaviour” is, in Derry.

4. Well its mainly (supposedly) straight men with wife’s and kids that use these establishments. I’m sure the ministers will bump into plenty of their own flock while they conduct extensive under cover research into the place.

How long before one of them is up in court charged with spending the church collection money in the sauna!

5. Reminds me of the story of an Irish politician who collapsed with heart failure in a gay sauna in Dublin (what WAS he doing??), and there was any number of priests on hand to give Extreme Unction.
    But, seriously, folks – who do these shamans think they are? Time they stopped regarding themselves as the moral arbiters of a de facto theocracy.

6. Londonderry.

1. Paddyswurds 20 Mar 2011, 1:11pm

Doire

7. “London Derry”? Derry, please. Or if you want to be Loyalist about it, Londonderry. But London and Derry are two different places.

I love the one about the politician in the sauna. Reminds me of the fuss a few years ago about the opening of an Anne Summers shop oppsite the GPO in Dublin. Somebody called a radio talk show with the wail ‘What would our 1916 martyrs think of that!” I called and suggested that the 1916 Martyrs would be pleased not to have to buy mail order any more, but the station didn’t broadcast it!

8. I wouldn’t even be surprised if that Dublin politician story was true. Presbyterianism is a scourge in Derry.

9. Why the fury? Can’t they just wait till it opens and form an orderly queue like all the other punters?

10. “Down with this kind of thing”
    “Careful now!”

11. Steve@GayWebHosting 16 Feb 2011, 6:35pm

Here we go again. If they dont like the idea, then dont visit the place… simple.

As for telling the rest of us where we can and cannot go, and what we can and cannot do… they can go and f-ck themselves.. Keep out of my life and stay in church guys!

12. JIm:
    Please dont be so naive. Gay saunas are just like those chaps said. Hovels full of dirty old men groping each other.

However, if that’s what they like doing, and they are not harming anyone else, why not?

13. I would call being religious a “killer activity”. It’s deadly for your brain cells.

Hopefully the free publicity will generate even more revenue for the owner.

14. That’s funny, that’s exactly how i feel about churches. Centres of anti-human, delusional hate that DO cause death and suffering.

Rovex

I second that!!!!!!!!!

And who cares if its just Derry or Londonderry etc etc… It sounds and looks like a religious war zone, on par with some parts of the middle east.

15. A lot of people care about it being Derry or Londonderry, for deep seated reasons. Calling it “London Derry” suggests that the writer neither knows nor cares what the reasons are and that’s insulting to everyone who lives there on both sides of the political divide.

1. Paddyswurds 20 Mar 2011, 1:14pm

I understood the City council voted to restore the name to Derry , in Co. Londonderry, some years ago…???

2. No, it’s not insulting, it just means that they don’t know the microdetails of Northern Irish politics. Put them right, by all means, but there’s no reason to assume that they are trying to be insulting.

I was there a couple of years back, looking at a hospital project. They told me there that when they wrote to patients they wrote ‘Londonderry’ or ‘Derry’ on the envelope depending whether they were in a Protestant or Catholic area. Both comic and tragic.

16. Mumbo Jumbo 16 Feb 2011, 7:35pm

Their anger is born of frustration. They SO want to go but can’t.

PS Derry/Londonderry AKA Stroke City

17. Who’s this Irish politician people are talking about ?

18. Spanner, being contrary and homophobic again.
    Never ever submits a comment without being nasty, judgmental and condescending.

19. i can’t remember which one was in the sauna. being caught in the Phoenix Park with rent boys used to be a fast track to retirement for TD’s,though.

20. Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
    As Glen and Ben, and all go down inside
    The saunas come, and all your men are smiling
    ‘Tis you, ’tis you must cum and I must wait my bide
    But cum ye back when I am in the meadow
    Or when my valley’s flushed and craves white snow
    ‘Tis I’ll be here awaiting in the shadow
    Oh Danny boy, oh Danny boy, I love you so.

21. Not so much the Derry Air as the Derriere!

22. I remember Foyle Pride and the grey faces of the protesters there. If it is the same protesters (which it probably is) I reckon they are outraged that some one else might be getting some sex and want it banned, Those guys obviously hadn’t had any this side of VE day judging by the their demeanour, faces sucking lemons comes to mind. Jealousy is all it is.

23. Sav: Is it not possible to criticise gay people without being considered homophobic?

Are you all so fcuking perfect?
    Gay saunas have damn all to do with health and everything to do with sex. If you claim otherwise, you are an even bigger fool than you appear.

24. What about the straight people out there? Can they not do a friday night ‘couples only’ night and ill bring the mrs along for some swinging fun :)

25. “Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from ‘religious’ conviction.” – Blaise Pascal

26. We can never win, at least with a sauna, the men are in a place that is private and will not be seen by the public, which in turn could mean men are less likely to be seen using cruising sites and public toilets

27. Laurie Roberts 17 Feb 2011, 1:59pm

I’m out on the next plane to Derry ! :)

28. Jeez Spanner sounds like you got a chip on your shoulder with saunas? (Hovels full of dirty old men groping each other)….so….ummm are we to assume you can’t even score in a sauna? Sorry mate but the saunas I’ve been to also have hot guys groping each other, nor are they all necessarily hovels, why in some you’ll find proper steam rooms etc. Don’t knock all saunas just cause the one you opened in your front room didn’t live up to expectations.

29. CMYB: Not all of us have to lower ourselves to your level. Some of us still have our brains where they are meant to be, not in their dicks.

1. Paddyswurds 20 Mar 2011, 1:20pm

@ Spanner are you by any chance a repredded xtian who , altho gay cant bring himself to “break” the rules of your Abrahamic fiction…..??

1. Paddyswurds 20 Mar 2011, 1:21pm

errata…..repressed***……….obv.

30. This isn’t the worst news I’ve heard of from Northern Ireland…

- A 54-year-old Canadian

31. Let them wear masks in the sauna.

32. whats all the fuss about….how many people go to Saunas….not many….think there is more comments being made about the name Londonderry or DERRY……

lets live…life short for us all…

33. This Spanner person has a chip on his shoulder about everything. Methinks he has never ever had any save for his own sleazy fumblings in the local cottage while peeping through a hole into the next cubicle. Sad, ugly, bitter, over the hill old queen railing at everything and especiall at those who rejected him.
    PS .. Derry the only word with six silent letters.

34. Thank you, Rose, for explaining about the difference between ‘Derry’ and ‘Londonderry’. However, now that I know that ‘London Derry’ will annoy both sides equally, clearly that is the only equitable way of referring to the city and I shall start doing so. I’m much obliged to you for explaining this.

35. Rich it tends to be only bigoted people who have a hang up about Derry/Londonderry.
    And there are a lot of these in N. Ireland as a study in 2007 found N. Ireland to be the most bigoted place in the world.

I am from that city and if I hear I either names I still fully understand what the person means. I do not get offended.

Fortunately we are slowly progressing forward and Rose’s “political divide” is being left behind with the bible thumper.

36. Mark Farrugia 3 Mar 2011, 7:59pm

Why they are so afraid not to be led to evil ad temptation?

37. `regarding themselves as the moral arbiters of a de facto theocracy.` – erm they don`t – if you have ever been to an evangelical type church you will find they teach there are only two types of people – saved sinners and lost sinners.

38. Heaven help us all forgive them Lord they know what they say as they often do lol.i have met many clergy in the saunas, as well as judges policemen, firemen, councillors, footballers rugby players ,teachers, the list is endless whats the problem, them in glass houses should not throw stones lol

39. “The Reverend Ian Brown from the Free Presbyterian Church in the Waterside, called the sauna a “sordid little hovel” and said he was “repulsed” by the “nefarious and shameful development”.”

This is how I feel too about saunas. They give LGBT people a bad reputation. And yes, I’m not straight.

40. With the Derry/Londonderry name issue, am I the only one that thinks this sauna should have been called “Stroke City”?

41. Presumably these Caustic Christians would rather they kept control and policed sexualy activity in society themselves. Mind you, we see where that’s got ‘the church’ and to be honest, the chances of them being able to slip an underage choirboy into the sauna without being chalenged would be impossible, so in all probabiity, thereby lies the basis of their objection ;o)