Updated: Stickers declare ‘gay-free zone’ in east London

1. Ah, that good old multiculturalism again. Different communities, side by side living in utter discord.

This is why I don’t live in London, I’m far safer out here in the sticks. No religious nutjobs on my doorstep!

2. OLD NEWS. this was being reported in october last year. I myself saw one of these stickers on oxford street in central london last year.

3. Well not many people have picked up on it Jay, so I’m glad it’s been highlighted.

When you saw one of these stickers, did you report it? I’m guessing not….

4. The more they do this, the more we will become intollerant of Muslims, and I know gay muslims so its so sad – we can only blame our successive Governments who have made this country a safe haven for extremists. Tower Hamlets council is lost to extremism – they are taking over as the indiginous people have voter apathy because politicians have lost touch with society.

5. mmmmmmmm
    I should have reported it. In all honesty I am not fully aware on if the police take action on these kind of issues and what to do. With that being said, if I saw these again I’d definately report them.

6. Thanks for sharing this. I didn’t hear about this last year like Jay because I’m in the U.S., so thanks for posting the article!

7. U.K should be an Islam free zone. Oh wait it was.

Oh and we were here first.

8. I’ve seen these in tottenham as well. Nothing shocks me anymore with the endemic homophobia on londons streets . It is not a gay friendly city like some naive idiots like to suggest. the younger generation are the worst culprits , anything vile is considered gay. The only surprise with these posters on london streets is that the language is not calling for to kill lgbt people, i’m sure thats coming. I need to move out of this homophobic dump of a city.

9. Jay

Can’t do any harm to report it, it may be possible to trace who is handing them out. As it’s got a quote from the Koran on it, the search is narrowed down a little.

If enough of us complain and rip them down, it will get some attention.

10. Islam, the religion of peace and tolerance. Blessing of the paedophile they call Muhammed upon us all.

11. Can I just echo what’s been said about reporting these stickers wherever and whenever they appear. It’s not old news if it’s an ongoing campaign. I’ve also heard of them being posted in West London, but not the other places that readers have mentioned. It’s important the Met police know this is a London wide problem and investigate accordingly. If CCTV captures someone posting them, the police might recognise who they are if they are part of an extremist group. It’s been suggested that whoever is responsible has copied the image from Wikipeadia or similar – I’ve been told that the image was first used by far-right extremists in Poland.

12. What an awful, hateful poster. If I saw one of these in Aberdeen I’d be outraged!

13. This is pretty disturbing development.
    Oh well, you let immigrants take over entire swathes of the city, what do you expect? You reap what you sow.

14. Peckham Pulse 14 Feb 2011, 5:49pm

Who stands to gain most from associating these stickers with Muslims ? The EDL. They can quote from the Koran, often do, print stickers and away we go. Maybe Just maybe.

15. Simply in reply to some of the comments here, I would just say that I think it’s possible to condemn homophobia without being abusive towards the entire muslim faith. Last week a UK muslim group publically denounced the victimisation of gay people in Bahrain, thus just being just one example that muslims are not a monolith…just like christians, jews, atheists etc etc. The equivalent of some of the comments on here would be suggesting that all catholics condone paedophilia because of the despicable acts of a minority of clergy.

Glad this problem is being highlighted again here, and I think it demonstrates how more of us should be proactive in building bridges between all communities. There may be only a glimmer of hope still left in my Tory-battered heart, but while those who advocate violence should be punished to the law accordingly, I still think that threats and abuse will only serve to alienate people from other cultures further

16. I agree with several comments, London is unfortunately not the safe place it once was for us …and it will only get worse as their numbers increase and their vile ideology and demonic book of hatred take root. This hatred is not something that can be eradicated or even tamed, as ‘apologists’ seem to naively think. Islam is locked in the 7th century, it has not reformed, accepted science or adapted as other regilions have. The next step will be flyers through doors as in Derby – calling for our killing. Lets not forget they (muslims) almost killed a guy last summer outside an east end pub.

17. Peckham Pulse

Read the EDL website ‘mission statement’. Surprisingly, it’s actually quite hard to knock, as it openly stands up for gay, female, Jewish and other rights. The BNP attack everyone, the EDL only attack Islamic ideology and make a point that they want greater freedom of choice for Muslims to be gay, atheist or anything else. Though it would appear they have attracted similar groups of football hooligan nutjobs to the BNP, presumably because the BNP haven’t made the gains they had hoped for. Still, the EDL have gays, Jews, blacks and Asians within their ranks and they are a pretty new group. Not bad going. If they turn into a political party, it’ll be quite interesting to see how people react. The Guardian just calls them Islamophobes and far-right nutters, but there’s very little that’s irrational in their statement. To be honest, it just epitomises all the failings of multiculturalism. It’s very easy to shout racist, but it’s ideology they are criticising, not skin colour or ethnic origin.

I think the EDL are going to get a lot of support if this poster is anything to go by. I’m not really sure how I feel about that.

18. Caz

Nobody is advocating violence against Muslims. But we need a real debate on just how much freedom we give to Muslims to act on the teachings of the Koran. I’m not scared of a fundamental Christian street preacher. But I am scared of their Muslim counterparts. Why? Because there’s so much more intense, aggressive blind faith going on. Christians aren’t anti-west by and large, so couple anti-gay with anti-west living in a monocultural ghetto and you’ve got an angry group of Muslims.

Not all Muslims are the same, that’s true. But either the more democratically-minded ones are too few or not shouting loud enough.

19. How hard would it be to find out who manufactured these sticky posters I wonder?…how hard would it be to discover who ordered them?

20. Be careful if you’re trying to remove a sticker with your fingers; whether it’s an urban myth or not, it doesn’t take much imagination to booby track one with a razor blade.

21. This is pure hate and needs to be addressed very quickly by the police and local council.

Gav

22. Wouldn’t stop me going there. Some people may want take a personal alarm in case of trouble.

23. Hodge Podge 14 Feb 2011, 6:46pm

oh god.

that is all

24. Jesus is a unicorn 14 Feb 2011, 6:51pm

We don’t know for a fact that it was Muslim extremists, it’s all written in clear English, the graphic design style looks particularly British and the quote is one of the most well known generic extremist quotes there is, a lot of real islam things write it in their own language as well.
    Think of the reasoning, who stands the most to gain to increase tension against Muslims? People who hate muslims obviously?

It seems hypocritical to say homophobia is wrong then turn around and ignorantly discriminate an entire group of people yourself.

Personally I’m athiest, but I can still see when someone is purposely creating tension.

25. A pro LGBT group should have its own stickers made up “No Intolerance Zone” or some such. Just slap ‘em up over the bigot stickers. I understand the UK is chock full of CCTV cameras – any news on whether these bigots were caught on film?

26. What alarms me most is the person who said he wasn’t surprised anymore by such stickers – please, please, continue to be surprised and outraged. If you aren’t then the people behind this have won.

Can the mainstream media start being outraged by this as well, please?

27. Paul Salahuddin Armstrong 14 Feb 2011, 8:02pm

The Association of British Muslims condemns the Anti Gay stickers posted in several locations in East London.
    There is nothing in the Qura’an against LGBT people. Allah has honoured every son/daughter of Adam, so such a hateful message is not only morally and ethically wrong but actually unislamic.
    “NOW, INDEED, We have conferred dignity on the children of Adam, and borne them over land and sea, and provided for them sustenance out of the good things of life, and favoured them far above most of Our creation” Holy Quran 17:70 (M. Asad)
    We call upon the police to open an immediate investigation into who put these stickers up in an attempt to spread hatred.
    Islam means peace and can and did throughout history embrace and respect diversity.
    Such incidents highlight the urgent need of community based education for diversity in Muslim communities across the U.K. and promoting real Islam, that respects and accepts the rights of every human being. We call upon the British government to immediately address this issue.

28. ‘We have evidence that they were very likely to have been produced by far-right sources in order to forment community tension’ – really? it couldn’t be the ‘batty’ loving muslims could it – so reveal this evidence – or else we’ll start posting muslim free Vauxhall posters –
    As usual we are supposed to respect others in order to help dismantle any hatred – Yeah right that works doesn’t it Peter!

29. @Paul Salahuddin Armstrong

Yes speak louder so bad Muslims get message.

30. I want to live in a Muslim Free Zone

31. A,J,Mainland 14 Feb 2011, 10:17pm

erm Paul salahuddin Armstrong,
    The word Islam translates as
    SUBMIT and yes islam is full of
    love and so cosy for us all, IF we
    repent and denounce who we are. Like all religions, fancy,
    hiden agendas and conditioning.

32. Jack Fertig 14 Feb 2011, 10:23pm

Assalaamu Aliekum

The quote “Arise and warn” is all of 74:2. The Surah goes on to warn of God’s Judgment against those who don’t feed the poor and those who mock the believers. Frequently through the Qur’an we are told that “believers” are not necessarily Muslims, and that Judgment is God’s alone. Assuming Muslms are putting up these stickers and it’s not some put-up job to incite mutual antagonism between gays and Muslims, these guys are not paying good attention to what the Qur’an actually says.

59:7 is also taken here out of context… actually that is just a few words out of a longer ayah that emphasizes charity to the poor.

So whether or not the perps are actually Muslims, they sure aren’t reading these ayat in context or showing any real understanding of the Noble Qur`an.

33. Why the refusal to comment and condemn the stickers from the muslim organisations. They are not doing themselves any favours.

34. I read ther the EDL were gay friendly as well.

35. Any single individual can print those and put them all around London – the comments on this thread blaming millions of people for what could be the doing of one person are quite outrageous.

As a non-passing transwoman living in tower hamlets, I regularly walk around that area (whitechapel, brick lane, etc.) and never get any problems. So it’s not like there is a widespread problem. People should stop crying wolf and blaming entire comunities for this.

36. I remember very well in the 1980s and when Aids was headline news in the fear mongering Murdoch tabloids, vile anti gay posters appeared along the Thames in Chelsea and Battersea. As I worked late and rode a push bike I was able to easily remove them as soon as I saw them. After a couple of months they no longer appeared. The difference to the ones photographed in this article was that there was no identification as to who or what organization was responsible. I disagree with mmmmmm, London has always been a multicutural city. Read Peter Ackroyd’s London, the biography. in this wonderful book you will read how the city has always gone through cycles as immigrants have come and gone with their beliefs and prejudices.. One also has to remember the Britain was a ruthless colonizer of countries when the spoils were abundant.

37. I think it would be prudent to see what the outcome of the police investigation may be before pointing the finger of blame…
    Whether it’s islamic extremists or EDL or BNP there could be motives for any of them to stir things up. The silence from the muslim side isn’t doing them many favours though.
    As Pavlos said it can’t be that hard to trace the fly posters, with so many street cameras and prints.
    Should they be using razorblades the best policy is to scrape them off with a wallpaper trowel and DIY gloves.

38. I’m not sure if I’m more horrified by the article or some of the comments here. Don’t respond to hate crimes with mindless bigotry.

39. @Lia maybe if people were aware of your trans status , you may find a different reaction. I had a trans friend who lived in bethnal green whose life was made hell by muslim gangs, unfortunately she committed suicide

40. @ lia “any single individual can print those and put them all around london” all the more reason then for islamic organisations to condemn then. Muslims in the uk believe lgbt people lead morally bereft lifestyles. you are very ,very naive as some comments here also suggest some people have no grasp of what islam is about .it is a religion of bigotry that associates any non believers as satanic.

41. @andy you need to get “horrified” at the bigotry espoused by islam towards lgbt, women and jews or are soo mindless as to accept that .

42. Pavlos and Flapjack have the correct attitude, I think.

How diffificult can it be to investigate this matter?

43. m is edl/bnp and probally put some of the posters up too. Yes let’s all join the edl and harass women and children in Luton were only queers and too thick to figure it out

44. Jock S. Trap 15 Feb 2011, 8:18am

@ Lisa

I moved from Tower Hamlets because homophobia is rife amongst Muslims. I have been trying for well over a year to highlight these posters and for most who life in the area there is no question who put them up considering the attitude. Too many people in the area are victims of homophobic attacks.

It has been a problems for too long and year by year this problem is getting worse. Can you imagine the result if people had put up ‘Muslim Free Zone’? There’d probably be riots. We be called racist even thought they are a religion not a race. In many ways being these people view this as a ‘white western problem’ They themselves are being racist then. In two ways.

This behaviour is not acceptable. We can’t afford excuses. Tower Hamlets is being made an area where just a handful of Muslims are creating problems for all including other Muslims.

Last year at one of the festivals at Victoria Park some people from one Muslim sect were handing out leaflets to warn other Muslims that going to such a festival was against Islam, against Allah.

I have known friends who have been attacked coming out from the Black Horse by a group of Asian youths and when 2 Asian police arrives we told it was their own fault.

Another was attacked going to the White Swan and was attacked by a group. Friends he was with basically had to hold his face on while waiting for an ambulance because he was so badly beaten.

There are constant claims that funding in the area is being denied esp if a group is run by the ‘wrong type’ of Muslim from the wrong sect.

A vicar in Stepney Green was brutally attack by a group of drunken Muslim and the judge basically let them off.

The Bethnal Green Mayoral election was run on a fraudulant vote. And Please do not forget who Ken Livingstone broke ranks for to help win that position.

We can hide and pretend this isn’t happening but fact is these posters have been around for quite a while. It needs to be someone, high up in power that needs to remind the additions to this country that being Gay, Lesbian and Bi in this country is Not illegal. It is an important part of our culture. There are too many people from the LGBT community who are trapped in such a homophobic area that I know don’t have the luck I had to escape it.

It is important that we don’t brand all Muslims the same though but they nd the rest of the people in Tower Hamlets need to stand up to this with the full backing of the Government from all sides of the house.

45. I suspect these posters are produced by the EDL. The EDL’s sole purpose is mob hooliganism intending to take advantage of the hatred and perceived hatred towards any community :(

46. Perhaps we should ask Baroness Warsi to go and reason with them.

47. As the victim of a prolonged series of abusive incidents this year , by a gang of young Muslim men who targeted me , waited for me outside my flat , abused me continually and threatened my life etc if i did not move out of “THEIR” street ( i have been here 18 years) i am well aware what certain segments of that community are capable of. I do not think its the EDL at all . To me thats a cop out from the soft armed P.C brigade to avoid actually tackling the problem within the Islamic community. Face it folks. They hate us .

48. Jock S. Trap 15 Feb 2011, 10:44am

@ wgb

If you want to be That naive why not try going down Brick Lane when it’ll full if people and announce loudly that your Gay. Good Luck with that.

49. Find them, throw them out of the country.

50. In 2000 a friend of mine moved away from Edgware road cause he got a lot aof hassle. At the time I thought he was being a drama queen but now I’m rethinking my position

51. Christine Beckett 15 Feb 2011, 12:05pm

Nasty stuff.

EDL?

I doubt it. Why bother? There’s more than enough followers of this religion that are prepared to do or say things that will stir up discord. No need for agent provocateurs.

Further down in Pink News there’s a story of two guys being prosecuted in Derby. I dare say they are “EDL” too… ?

chrissie

52. Rebecca Shaw 15 Feb 2011, 12:17pm

@ Jock.S.Trap – Actually I was one of those attacked coming out of The Black Horse. I needed 7 sutures in my scalp. Not a good look. However I have no intention of leaving.

@ everyone
    That being said, as one of the three co-chairs of Rainbow Hamlets, I can see there is a lot of misinformed comment here. For example, there are far more cases of race hate reported in Tower Hamlets than of homophobia (approx 3:1). While anecdotal evidence suggests that homophobia is far more prevalent, if it goes unreported, then for statistical purposes it isn’t happening. Secondly, there is some conjecture surrounding the origin of the posters. I understand it was not possible to identify the perpetrators from CCTV, but there have been previous attempts by the far right to stir-up hatred in Tower Hamlets – a planned protest last summer was thankfully abandoned but not before community tension had been increased to fever pitch. Thirdly the Council and partner agencies have been working hard to combat all forms of hate crime through their No Place for Hate campaign which I believe was originally championed by Cllr Sirajul Islam. Fourthly the Police are firmly committed to supporting the LGBT community. There is an LGBT representative on the Borough Commander’s Independent Advisory Group and there is a dedicated Police LGBT liaison officer. Fifthly Tower Hamlets council is one of very few to receive an “Excellent” rating for its commitment to equality and diversity. We have been working with the Council on its equality strategies to make sure they meet the needs of the LGBT community in Tower Hamlets.

I’m not going to pretend that homophobia and transphobia doesn’t happen, but it is grossly unfair to tarnish an entire community because of the actions of a small few. Analysis of locally reported homophobic crime does not support the view that the perpetrators are mostly muslim. Most reports can be categorised as arising out of neighbour disputes.

53. If Islam is so peaceful, why haven’t we heard any condemnation from the imams in the mosques up and down the country? Why the silence?

54. Christine Beckett 15 Feb 2011, 1:31pm

It’s not “misinformed” simply because it does not fit in with the way you, and Tower Hamlets, wish to present things, Rebecca.

Aside from a few hot heads on here, most are directing their anger not at a whole “community”, but at the followers of a religion which openly condemns LGBT people, and some of whose followers DO attack members of the LGBT community.

It’s no good dressing it up and asking everyone to get it into some kind of overall perspective, and see that it’s not really TOO bad and it could be MUCH worse, and in fact we should be wonderfully grateful to Tower Hamlets council for that.

The council needs to get down to SERIOUSLY tackling religiously-based hatred towards LGBT people, and that means telling people who believe that their religion (whatever it is) gives them an excuse to hate us, that they are WRONG and that it will not be tolerated.

So the council needs to stop playing Minority Trumps. Claimed religious “rights” to hate us and discriminate against us do not trump our right not to be treated in such a way. Just because the religion in question is a minority one does NOT alter that fact.

Officials can only turn a blind eye to the problem for so long, and if one wants to see how bad this can really get if they do that, then pop over to Amsterdam.

chrissie

55. You choose to be a homophobic – but you don’t choose to be gay. There is an enormous difference. You choose your religion, but you don’t choose whether you are black or gay. And, let’s face it, most muslims are homophobic and fanatic. Sadly it is not a small minority like in christianity. Remember the survey that showed, than not a single muslim in Britain accepts homosexuality?

56. J. R. Braden 15 Feb 2011, 1:37pm

Moderate Muslims: This is yours to speak out against. I can continue speaking out against the homophobia perpetrated by Muslims, but that can only be taken so seriously from an outsider… especially when pointing out the hate labels me as a hater. This is wrong, but it is your place to say so. Please stop silently sitting by while the fundamentalists make this the image we all see of your religion. Your continued silence makes me wonder if you even exist, or if moderate Islam is just a quaint but unreachable ideal.

57. john sharp 15 Feb 2011, 2:05pm

who is Allah?
    homophobic primitive child molesting pervert?

58. Ex Eastender 15 Feb 2011, 2:23pm

Ten years ago. I used to get given leaflets calling for the death of LGBT outside whitechapel tube at least once a week by muslims. It wasn’t the EDL. I was verbally abused, spat at, even had a brick thrown at me for being a ‘queer’ by asian muslim youth in the east end of London. It wasn’t the EDL.
    I told the police. They did nothing, so the muslims won – I moved out.

So to blame the EDL for Islamic homophobia me think some of you are suffering from stockholme syndrome or something. You need to wake up. Islam is a real threat to LGBT equality in the UK. Stop protecting them.

I know so many east end families who had to move out of the east end because of the muslim ‘community’ making their lives hell.

From this poster, it’s obviously only getting worse there.

59. @rebecca shaw “there have been previous attempts by the far right to stir-up hatred in tower hamlets” by the “far right” are you referring to moderate or extremist muslims?

60. I saw the same stickers in Nottingham after Nottingham Pride. My friends and I tried to take them down but they were too many and they were difficult to remove.

It was reported to the police as a homophobic hate crime but there was not enough evidence to charge.

61. This blaming the edl nonsense is just some idiots trying to switch the focus away from the obvious perpetrators. And really they just encourage more people to go check out the edl site and probably gain more members.

62. Staircase2 15 Feb 2011, 3:14pm

I am appalled that the debate on this post is so horribly inflammatory.

One would think that the more oppressed a group of individuals is then the more likely they are to be able to recognise it when they see it elsewhere.
    The truth is the complete opposite.

It like the majority of the posters on here are simply using the issue of these disgusting stickers as a springboard to air their own deeply held prejudices. With the outcome that very few people are actually talking about the stickers or the message at all – and instead slagging off all Muslims in the most inflammatory terms.

I am shocked that Pink News is allowing this to happen and have reported several of the posts here and asked for them to be removed.

@ Damian: When you say “Islam is locked in the 7th century, it has not reformed, accepted science or adapted as other regilions (sic) have” thats simply not grounded in fact. The truth is that Islamic scholars gave the west ‘science’ as we understand it.

The Islamic world has only recently been locked into a fundementalist stance and that has both been fuelled by (and payrolled by!) ‘the West’ and its ridiculous short-sighted foreign policies (most notably ‘fuelled by’ the drive for oil)

63. @ Rebecca Shaw and co.- we have identified the person responsible for these stickers, we have their photo, blog site, and address.
    If interested, please contact us at
    ooohyeswecan@gmail.com

Cheers

64. PumpkinPie 15 Feb 2011, 4:36pm

Oh dear, so many fools on here. Nice to see good comments on here (including one from a muslim condemning the incident which has been conveniently ignored), but I feel the need to address the more depressing majority here.

Let me make it perfectly plain: saying that the EDL likes to fake incidences of muslim homophobia does not imply that muslim homophobia doesn’t exist, nor that it isn’t a big problem.

Rather, it merely quite plainly states that particular instances of homophobia might not actually be perpetrated by who you think they are.

Apparently, this makes me some sort of limp-wristed PC softy. I condemn the actions and attitudes of both fundamentalist muslims and rabble-rousing fascists. I’m not the one who’s such a coward that he’s prepared to jump into bed with one group of violent thugs to save himself from another.

Seriously, we’ve got one of the co-chairs of a local equality group giving us the facts on the case. And then, just because reality doesn’t fit well with some people’s urge to demonise and spew hate, she gets branded a liar, a PC softy, a fantasist. Why would any of those types of people be working with such a group?! Get real, people.

I’m not an apologist for muslim fundamentalists. You lot can make that claim, too. I’m not an apologist for the EDL, either. See if you can take it that one step further, too.

65. PumpkinPie 15 Feb 2011, 4:39pm

Whoops! Forgot to mention that this man also posted a link to a muslim organisation denouncing this poster campaign, as had been demanded by previous and – confusingly – subsequent posters. Some people are never happy.

66. Staircase2

Enough with the PC crap, we know who our opponents are. Minorities DON’T all have the same interests and given how much hatred we get slung at us from Islamic communities, it is our right to counter it. Minorities are not ALL on the same side – religious minorities are worse than Tories!

Perhaps you can’t cope with the fact this doesn’t fall into YOUR model of how minorities interact and support one another, but a gay man or woman who stands up for the Muslim right to propagate anti-gay sentiment is nuts!

67. Sadiq Yusuf 15 Feb 2011, 6:03pm

I’m a Muslim and I think this poster campaign is sickening. No-one should be telling others they should be excluded from an area on the grounds of their sexuality. I’ve seen one of these posters in London and have taken it down. This particular poster campaign was apparently done by EDL members who came here for a football match but I don’t care who did it tbh.

68. hey listen everyone…i’ve heard a rumour…apparently it was Melanie Phillips who was seen putting up the stickers in the East End.

69. This looks like a ten year old made it! We really should not be bothered by some despots with a printer and some glue.

Though it would be interesting to know if these are the same posters that appeared in Leicester before last years pride parade. If it is, its organised and not some lone group of despots.

I just hope the London boroughs who they fly-postered seek the maximum fine of £50,000 for the acts of vandalism, then hand them over to the police to deal with the hate crime aspect.

70. WriterWriter 16 Feb 2011, 2:42pm

1.There’s no such thing as allah

2. If you live in Britain, you live BRITISH, where people – all people have human rights and are not terrified of invisible and false ‘men.’

3. IF you prefer to be terrified of invisible men and don’t like human rights, go somewhere you can live like that. It just isn’t Britain.

71. Does anyone know what Tower Hamlets are doing about the stickers? They say they are appalled, but do they have a programme where these things are actively removed when the council are told of their whereabouts?

As for the comment above mine, yes we do live in a land where all people have human rights, so, whilst i personally have no religious belief I have no problem with those that do, including those that believe in Allah.

I only have aproblem when religious believers expect me to abide by their religious beliefs too.

We cannot go around denying people the right to believe as you seem to suggest, otherwise we are no better than the people, whoever they are, who put up these posters.

72. Whereas the evidence that this campaign was orchestratrated by edl? Why make these allegations without proof? This is pathetic, tower hamlets council should investigate fully who the perpetraters are rather than make guesses to avoid” community tensions” and expect us to be satisfied .

73. where is

74. Thanks to the muslim council of england for condemnation of these posters, . i take back any earlier suspicion or ignorance i had of suspecting otherwise. Hopefully both communities can begin to start to integrate better and accept one another.

75. Listen, there IS no Elephant in the room, It is just a large grey leather bag that was put there by the Tories. Or maybe the BNP. It just happens to have a trunk and big ears.

You people stun me, you still won’t face up to the fact that the East End is probably 80% Asian and they DO NOT LIKE GAY PEOPLE. Got it?

Stop trying to offload your anti-right wing baggage onto other groups just because it is not politically expedient.

One person even pointed out they saw young Asians posting these things up. Or maybe it was just EDL guys wearing boot polish.

76. FYI, I saw two guys doing this last night. They were young asian men in their early/mid twenties.
    I assumed it was the EDL before this as it just seems stupid to be so obvious.

77. I believe its not the work of the edl either, but i’m glad the muslim council of england condemned this atrocity.

78. Jock S. Trap 17 Feb 2011, 12:24pm

Words are all very well but lets see some action.

79. @Becky If you see anyone actually putting the stickers up call the police immediately. If the person is still there and an immediate response would allow the police to catch them, use 999. Tell them that someone is putting up homophobic material. Otherwise call police non-emergency on 0300 123 1212. Each borough also has LGBT Liaison Officers, for Tower Hamlets it’s Melanie.Conneely@met.police.uk, 020 7275 4656, 07768 928 492. From my experience the police do take these matters very seriously.

80. You guys are sickeningly racist. Homophobia is spread by homophobes, not by Muslims, Jews, Christians, etc.

But the far-right in this country does by far have the worst record of violence and terrorism towards the gay community.

81. tomtom,
    What is racist about speaking against a religion. Religion is not race! Religion is man-made nonsense and we shouldn’t stand for ANYONE putting up posters like this – especially a foreign religion. Islam belongs in the Middle East. It has no place in Europe and it is incompatible with our Western values.

Staircase2, Gay people have a right to speak out against Islam and all anti-gay religions. Nobody has the right to tell other people how to live. And just to be clear, it wasn’t Islamic scholars that gave us some of our technology but their ancestors – before they found their backward religion!

82. @Richard:”From my experience the police do take these matters very seriously.”

You must have had a good experience. I reported a homophobic assault to Islington police a few years ago and was met with outright homophobia. When it got to court the Islington police chatted to the defendant’s solicitor and completely ignored me. Of course my attacker was found not guilty and even laughed at me as he left court!

83. @Jamesh, I’m sorry to hear you had a bad experience in Islington. I’m involved in Richmond and West London. Met Police have focussed a lot on improving service to LGBT people over the past few years. Even if it message hasn’t reached every officer, the organisation itself strives to provide good service. If you are interested, try asking your local police, Victim Support and/or council community safety department what they are doing now to tackle homophobic and transphobic crime, and support LGBT victims and witnesses. They should have a homophobic or generic hate crime forum or similar. There should be LGBT community representatives, however one of their challenges is getting engagement from the wider LGBT community. There may be things that you can get involved with. At a pan-London level both Galop and the LGBT Advisory Group champion our needs and tackle specific issues as, and when, they arise.

84. @Jamesh, an example of Met Police commitment is their target to solve homophobic offences (sanction detection rate)…for homophobic offences target it is 45%, same for racist and religious hate crimes, whereas generic violence with injury is 35%, residential burglary is 16% and vehicle crime is 7.5%…hence they have every reason to investigate effectively.

85. The stickers have certainly done what they set out to do – cause hate and outrage against Muslims. Any form of hate sticker will create sympathy for its ‘target’ and disgust against the perceived culpret. Yes, the tolerance pendulum is swinging back because a new generation of hate-mongers (you name the subject) are coming from schools which ‘allow’ personal prejudices to go unchecked in the name of free expression/choice/rights.

86. @richard the police were great last night. The two officers who came around were very clued up as to what was going on and it really seems like they are taking this very seriously.

87. I got a shock yesterday some big white bloke about 6’6 giving me daggers on the train then 2 black homphobic women on the tube. they come in all colours and sexes

88. Richard North 18 Feb 2011, 5:17pm

The left has no plan for islamic homophobia. No plan.

The left will betray the LGBT community to placate the muslims as well. You can see this coming a mile away.

Who is Bruce Bauer?

89. I see a lot of racist people here. Islam is peace and these posters are obviously fakes created by fascists.

This racism has got to stop.

90. @ harmonee –

“I see a lot of racist people here. Islam is peace and these posters are obviously fakes created by fascists.”

Islam is not a race. So no one’s being racist if they condemn islam.
    If Islam is so peaceful why do muslims strap bombs to themselves in the name of islam? Why do iran kill LGB in the name of islam? You’re right about they were created by fascists though – islamic fascists.

“Islam welcomes and loves everyone and we need more muslims so we can be enriched.”

islam does not welcome LGBT, in fact islam is used to justify our execution and imprisonment.

“This racism has got to stop.”

islam is not a race, so no one is being racist. but islamic homophobia has got to stop.

91. Cameron

This is no excuse for racism. There is no way that muslims could have made thsoe posters. Thats fox news propaganda. Muslims are very tolerant and welcoming of everyone especially gays and other oppressed peoples. I have a muslim friend and ive never seen him do anything bad to a gay person. So seriously people, quit being so paranoid lolz.

We need to end the ignorance and stop the hate against muslims who are our friends especially because we are different. Furthermore have you considered christians? They hate gays and nobody is talking about that. How ironic!!

92. Random Lezza 18 Feb 2011, 7:52pm

Join us for a peaceful march through Tower Hamlets.

We intend to show the small, homophobic minority in that area that we will NOT feel threatened by their ridiculous posters!

We need YOU to help us make this a success!

93. @ harmonee – oh dear, you really don’t know what you’re talking about, do you? You seriously need to do some research on islam and homosexuality before you continue believing and making claims that muslims are ‘tolerant’ to LGBT. If muslims are so tolerant of LGBT…….

why does the muslim dictatorship in iran execute gay men?
    why does the muslim dictatorship in saudi imprison gay men?
    why does the muslim dictatorship in yemen torture gay men?
    why is it illegal to be gay in every country where islam has any power?

you should also read the hadith (actually don’t bother) – its an islamic holy book – it tells the followers of islam to KILL gay men – in detail – it tells muslims to push a wall over on homosexuals??? weird way of killing someone perhaps, but that’s islam for you.

you ask about christians – their homophobia gets enough of an ear bashing on pinknews – but this is a story about muslims who have put posters up in the east end of london that call for a ‘gay free zone’, which is why people are commenting on islam and not christianity.

and back to your point about racism, islam is not a race, its a religion. So no one is being racist. no one is even being islamaphobic. no one is asking for a muslim free zone. no one is calling for the killing of muslims.

so why are you sticking up for muslims, when they are calling for our execution throughout the world, and putting homophobic posters up in the east end? How ironic!!

94. The most disturbing posts here are the ones of denial and conspiracy. I can’t believe how many here believe that this is some scheme concocted by the EDL. This is sheer madness.

95. This wasn’t done by the EDL, this was purely and simply the work of Islamic extremists. And what cheek, the people in the East End should declare it a Muslim Free zone, they have more of a the right too. As a direct descendant of England living in Australia, it saddens me to see how utterly and horribly multiculturalism has ruined England.

I can clearly see why both of my parents never want to return to Londonistan.

96. Yay multiculturalism! Good old anti-gay islamics – many of whom will have come from abroad – who no doubt have no jobs – bullying tax paying British gays in their own country.

97. Richard North 19 Feb 2011, 5:30pm

Critical Point: Our progressive movement does not have a plan for islamic homophobia. Muslims are doing horrible things to the LGBT community and we are letting it slide because they are muslims.

Muslim crimes against the LGBT community are only going to get worse.

This means that we need to ensure that our side is going to stand up for us because WE are being victimized by THEIR intolerance.

Right now NOTHING is being done to curb islamic homophobia and nothing indicates that this is going to change anytime soon.

The LGBT community needs to understand that this is a serious problem that has been left unaddressed for far too long and we need to see concrete proof that we can trust that shows that progressives will handle this.

Otherwise it’s just a matter of time before the entire LGBT community is collectively betrayed by the progressive movement.

98. Well said Richard North!

99. PumpkinPie 20 Feb 2011, 2:16am

The left has no plan for islamic homophobia. No plan.

What’s your plan for indigenous British homophobia, then? Do you even have one? If you do, I bet it’s pretty much the same as our plan for Islamic homophobia.

It’s an immensely simple, effective, and ages old (the 100 year old “Protocols of the Elders of Zion” ring any bells?) “scheme”. That any half-wit could come up with. Once again, pointing out the possibility of this being a hoax by the EDL is not denial of the fact that Islamic homophobia exists. It’s merely pointing out that bigots of all sorts like to play cynical games with the public.

Right, because Australia’s “monoculturalism”(?) worked so well for all those stolen Aboriginal children, didn’t it? Also, sorry if I misunderstood, but it sounds like you yourself are a second generation immigrant. It’s always hilarious to hear immigrants whining about “multiculturalism” with regards to different immigrants.

many of whom will have come from abroad – who no doubt have no jobs

And if they did have jobs, I’m sure you’d accuse them of “stealing” “our” jobs. Immigrants just can’t win, eh?

100. Those who are so sure this is the work of the EDL should have NO fear of coming to Vallance Road or Whitechapel Road, and joining in with the removal of these stickers, one evening. (They are, after all, only 1/12th A4 size, and not all that hard to remove.) After all, the are is not exactly an EDL stronghold, is it?

Come on, put your money where your mouth is!

101. Richard North 20 Feb 2011, 4:25pm

Any members of the LGBT community who are concerned about the progressive movement’s love affair with islam, which will be at the EXPENSE of gays, should check out gay writer Bruce Bauer who wrote “While Europe Slept”.

He fled the USA for Amsterdam in search of a more accepting community for gays only to find that Amsterdam was full of gay-bashing muslims who were far worse than anything he had experienced in the US.

He now writes and speaks on the left’s complete passivity on islamic homophobia and what it means for the LGBT community.

102. Gay Daily Mail Reader 21 Feb 2011, 1:49am

Shows that Multiculturalism has failed! How would they like it if we went round ‘Paki Bashing’. We don’t like being ‘Queer Bashed’ so do unto others as others do unto you! Surely as ‘oppressed minorities’ we should be working together to fight prejudice and not fighting amongst ourselves. Do these bigots realise that they are playing right into the hands of the BNP which is just as dangerous to us!

103. @harmoneee i saw the guys putting these up they were muslim men in their mid 20s.

104. So where’s all that CCTV? Pfft councils are pointless, get out there and cover them up, let them waste their money. I’ve not seen any and live in the area.

105. My partner and I were in a cycle accident in May this year that resulted in his death. I left a ghost bike decorated at the scene of the accident since May, and return every now and then to clean it up or leave flowers. I left some brightly coloured flowers there recently and upon returning two days later, was excited and touched to see that someone had further decorated it with pride flags. Yet on further inspection, I realized that the pride flags were actually crossed-out and bared an anti-gay message with a quote from the Koran (I think?) that I couldn’t even bring myself to read properly. My friend and I were both shocked and sickened, and we quickly peeled off all traces of the stickers, and tried not to think further about it. The irony was not lost on me – being a gay man that was raised by a Muslim father that was supportive of the way I lived my life and who had also recently passed away.

On recanting this story to a colleague, she told me about the article in the Evening Standard about the stickers appearing in East London, my home, and where I lived together with my partner. I’ve since called the police as a result of the article and the BBC news piece online. They seem to be taking this very seriously and are meeting with me this week. Not sure what will come of it, but just thought I’d share this.

106. Lady Tanya 23 Feb 2011, 3:05am

we need her hear

Australia says NO – Second Time she has done this !
    AMAZING You must read it !!!!

She’s done it again..
    She sure isn’t backing down on her hard line stance and one has to appreciate her belief in the rights of her native countrymen..
    A breath of fresh air to see someone lead. I wish other world leaders would step up.

Australian Prime Minister does it again!!
    This woman should be appointed Queen of the World.. Truer words have never been spoken.

It took a lot of courage for this woman to speak what she had to say for the world to hear. The retribution could be phenomenal, but at least she was willing to take a stand on her and Australia ‘s beliefs.
    The whole world needs a leader like this!

Prime Minister Julia Gillard – Australia

Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of Australia , as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks..

Separately, Gillard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying she supported spy agencies monitoring the nation’s mosques. Quote:

‘IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT.. Take It Or Leave It.
    I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali , we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians. ‘

‘This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom’

‘We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society . Learn the language!’

‘Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.’

‘We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us.’

‘This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, ‘THE RIGHT TO LEAVE’.’
    ‘If you aren’t happy here then LEAVE. We didn’t force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted.’

Maybe if we circulate this amongst ourselves in Canada & USA and the UK , WE will find the courage to start speaking and voicing the same truths.
    If you agree please SEND THIS ON and ON, to as many people as you know.

107. Peter Tatchell baiting Muslims again? No there’s a surprise. Is he seriously saying he has been attacked three times in the East End? I find that hard to believe. Where is the evidence for this – did he report this to the police? Newsflash for Peter Tatchell and other Islamophobes: 1. we do not know who is behind these stickers. Could be anyone trying to stir up division and blame Muslims (once again) for ‘extreme’ actions. 2. Even if it is Muslims it is likely to be a handful and yet the whole Muslim population is being jumped on. Again. 3. No matter how much you try to paint homophobia as a preserve of the Muslim community, the sad fact of the matter that homophobia is rife up and down this country. It’s not as though gay couples can walk freely hand in hand in ANY part of the UK. In fact, one of the very few places I have seen a gay couple holding hands was in Mile End and the only person that batted an eyelid was a white bloke on the phone who just said ‘cor I’ve just seen two birds holding hands’. 4. Homophobic attacks and murders in this country have not been at the hands of Muslims. Moral of the story: Get off this extremely bigoted, extremely misguided bandwagon. You can’t fight hatred with hatred, so stop being hypocrites. The Muslims community is being pelted with smear stories day in and day out and targeted by far-right thugs and all you can do is join the chorus of hate. The irony of your appalling treatment of Muslims will not escape anyone who is serious about equality.