Lady Gaga debuts ‘gay anthem’ Born This Way

1. Madonna called,

she wants her song back!

2. “I wrote [Born This Way] in 10 f**king minutes….”

… while listening to “Express Yourself”

3. Jock S. Trap 11 Feb 2011, 12:21pm

Madonna who? ;)

Go Ga-Ga-Gadget!

4. Is the video embedded a completely different song to anyone else?

5. @ Dan – Yea I got a spanish guitar pop song when I hit play…ha, not what I expected!3

6. Can we have the link to La Gaga’s song back please???

7. jamestoronto 11 Feb 2011, 2:31pm

An anthem is supposed to inspire one to stand up and cheer and be, without apologies, insanely proud.

This would not inspire me to get out of bed.

Lady you have done a lot better.

Is there an English or French version for us Canadian fraks?

8. jamestoronto 11 Feb 2011, 2:34pm

Sorry – that was meant to read “Canadian freaks.”

9. Hmm, I agree Tina…it is a little…no actually a lot like Express Yourself in significant parts.
    It will probably be a grower. she’d better come up with a brilliant video to make it a show’er.
    I’m not really feeling it yet on the one hearing.

10. Hmmmm… I have a handful of her tunes on my iPod.

This does nothing for me.

11. I don’t like the sense of predetermination the lyric expresses. I have no idea whether I was “Born this way” and, in fact, my acceptance of my being gay has nothing to do with whether it was in-born or evolved along with my personality or from choices I consciously or sub-consciously made.

12. HORRIBLE, She’s so much more talented , that song is boring.

13. Bitchy queens or what?
    It’s a great song, listening now! =]

14. The spoken intro alone is a total rip off of Express Yourself before we even get to the chours. Then there’s the sleeve picture which is a blatant rip from the French performance artist Orlan. But Gaga’s fans will call all of that ‘appropriation’ rather than lack of imagination. Grace Jones must be sick as a dog to see some skinny ass honky being hailed as an avant garde genius whereas in reality Gaga is the bog standard record executive’s wet dream.

15. Dr Robin Guthrie 11 Feb 2011, 7:22pm

Personally I cannot wait for Sherry Vines spoof on it……….

They are hilarious.

Look up Sherry Vines, “Your a homo” on youtube , sung to the tune of Alejandro.

It’s actually a better song than GaGa’s.

16. Dave North 11 Feb 2011, 7:28pm

From Huffington Post:

Lady Gaga is teaming up with Target to offer fans an exclusive deluxe edition of her forthcoming disc, Born This Way — and a freebie. Starting this Friday at 9 a.m. ET and running through February 26, fans who pre-order the album at Target.com/gaga will receive a free download of the title track.

As previously reported, the title track will hit digital retailers Friday morning, but why pay for it if you can get it for free with the pre-order?

Target’s exclusive deluxe edition of Born This Way will include three bonus studio songs and five remixes. The album will be released May 23.

Great for Target to get such a deal with Lady Gaga, because they’re so gay-friendly and do nothing to contribute to making life tougher for gay teens… oh wait. There was the whole “funding anti-gay candidates with hundreds of thousands of dollars of reported money and who knows how many millions in unreported cash and not stopping even when gays were all like, ‘Hey, that’s not cool'” thing.

Now Gaga’s making sure Target will have more money to give to anti-gay candidates by giving the store the exclusive rights to distribute a song that co-opts gay rights rhetoric! Who dreamed up this scheme… O. Henry?

17. westcoastkid 11 Feb 2011, 7:56pm

Exactly Dave North. If you must buy this music, get it elsewhere, not at HOMOPHOBIC Target.

18. Dr Robin Guthrie 11 Feb 2011, 9:11pm

I still await the point.

The only one I see is, cough up your hard earned for this crap song in order that I can feed my ego.

What a twat.

“I am what I am”, does not need improved on.

And especially for a market of uneducated illiterate facebook twats.

19. Dr Robin Guthrie, why don’t you go listen to some other songs then?
    After all, sick dicks like yourself shouldn’t listen to songs for twats. ;)

20. Dr Robin Guthrie 12 Feb 2011, 8:09am

ZRK –

How true…..

21. Those who are comparing it to Madonna’s 1989 Hit – ‘Express Yourself’ – have a big flaw in
    their argument.

Yes, the Lady GaGa Single does
    sound like it – in parts. But, the
    Madonna Hit was based on an older
    Hit, anyhow. She sampled the USA
    No.12 Hit, ‘Respect Yourself’, by
    The Staples Singers. It was a 1971
    Hit.

The Madonna Hit was not fully
    original. It is therefgore laughable
    for some people to accuse GaGa
    of ‘ripping off’ a Madonna Hit, that
    was itself a ‘rip off’…..

22. Yes, plagiarising the plagiarist
    … but who did the Staples Singers borrow from for their US “Respect Yourself” No.12 graveyard smash?

23. “If you don’t give a heck
    about the man with a bible in his hand
    just get out of the way
    and let the gentleman do his thing
    (The Staples Singers
    Respect Yourself)

Nah…I don’t think so.
    The people who listened to that black pride song are today probably the ladies with hats who go to churches where they demonise gay people and lobby against same sex marriage.

24. It’s ok. That’s all.

However, I don’t really like an artist like Gaga deliberately trying to write a gay anthem (particularly with all the subtlety you would expect if someone spent only 10 minutes doing so). I feel like a gay anthem needs to be found and appropriated by gays (e,g, I am what I am, It’s raining men etc).

25. How on earth did this self-absorbed narcisstic bimbo ever become a ‘gay icon?’

26. From “Bad Romance to prehaps a “Gay Romance Anthem”

Either way, I love the way Lady Gaga is playing the “born this way” card

As Orsino has to say in 12th Night
    “If music be the food of love, play on”

27. Courtesy of http://www.Pobitch.com
    Right on, I say:

Get off the soapbox, get on the floor

Lady Gaga’s over-hyped release of herMadonna rip-off, Born This Way, seems to be
    backfiring. Acolytes and mainstream media may have lapped it up but many fans are
    complaining that it feels more like a cynical marketing tool rather than genuine piece of pop. It should never be up to the artist to anoint their own work as a gay anthem – that’s for listeners to decide (and if there’s one thing that The Gays should inarguably be allowed to adopt, it’s their own anthems).

The problem Gaga has created for herself is that by making gay fans feel like they’ve
    been used as a promotional weapon, everything she does is coming under scrutiny. Her S&M video stylings, closely linking the concept of “being gay” with being a freak, or an outcast, for example. Even her previously well-received attempt to support the repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” is being questioned, particularly her use of the line “We are not asking you to agree with or approve the moral implications of
    homosexuality”. What moral implications?

No doubt she started out with good intention – she’s possibly just a victim of her own hype – but Gaga might be advised to stop focusing on politics and start focusing on pop again.