Zoo names gay spider monkeys Elton and David

1. Good!

2. TheSuburbanBi 10 Feb 2011, 6:40pm

haha!

3. I’m not sure about the names…

4. Ah-maze-ing

5. Does one have temper tantrums and throw poo at the other? Just asking.

6. I hoped someone checked with the monkeys that they didn’t mind being given the same names as the human couple.

7. Shouldn’t it be Sir Elton and David ?

8. Jock S. Trap 11 Feb 2011, 8:01am

Sweet story. More proof that this is in nature.

Wait for the bible bashers to demand they are separated and given ‘corrective therapy’.

9. Sweet story But I do worry about these ‘gay’ animals in zoos. Some people point to them as proof that homosexuality is natural, because animals do it, too. But the trouble is, these animals are not in a natural environment. It’s a ZOO! Their behaviour is not typical of their species in the wild. I don’t think they prove anything one way or another.

10. Ciaran McHale 11 Feb 2011, 11:56am

@Rose: homosexuality in animals is observed outside of zoos too. A quick Google search for “homosexuality animals” might provide you with some relevant reading, including the finding that homosexuality has been observed in about 1500 species.

11. well, not so quick.youhave to wade through a lot of nonsense as in any google search, but I see there are examples in the wild, which are more convincing.

My degree is in history, not science, but it seems to me that a scientific theory needs to be thoroughly bashed against a brick wall of questions and doubts from its supporters first, so that it can stand up to its opponents. So, as in this instance, I believe that homosexuality is natural, but since so many people don’t believe it, and I’m sick to my back teeth of their arguments against, I would want as much incontrovertible proof as possible, and for me the zoo based animals just don’t cut it. But well-documented evidence from the wild is another matter.

The monkeys are still sweet. Is it possible this is learned behaviour from watching humans all day? Or would humans not give them such a good example?

12. It has been shown time and time again that animals don’t form pure homosexual relationships. It’s either for dominance, or for companionship. It’s not sexual.

Put a female spider monkey in heat, with them, and watch them ‘be gay’

13. Staircase2 11 Feb 2011, 4:15pm

@ Rose: “*Note to trolls! I’m not saying homosexuality isn’t natural to humans. Only that I don’t think we can look at zoo animals as any kind of evidence of anything.”

except….er…..evidence……

14. @Rose: Bagemihl’s ‘Natural Exuberance’ documents same-sex sexual activity and partner bonding in around 400 species, and takes a lot of time discussing theories of why this occurs. There’s a good overview here: http://home.planet.nl/~gkorthof/korthof62.htm

15. Its no joke 11 Feb 2011, 7:03pm

“It has been shown time and time again that animals don’t form pure homosexual relationships. It’s either for dominance, or for companionship. It’s not sexual.”

really Professor LU?

Human beings are animals.

16. George Jack 11 Feb 2011, 7:17pm

I run the staff LGBT network at a major university. Last year we had a talk from a Biological Sciences lecturer on homosexual behaviour in animals. From single-cell creatures to giraffe, it’s all there. Many animals spend most of their time in single sex groups and only come together for mating.

17. It just accrued to me that maybe homosexuality in all species is some sort of natures birth balance control for overcrowding this lovely planet. The ones who feel urge and want to have baby have them the ones that don’t don’t. But we all need a companionship and closeness of fellow beings regardless of sex but having sex of course. Darwin anyone?

18. @ Rose “well-documented evidence from the wild is another matter”

Yes many example, I google, look in Amazon it call “Homosexual Behaviour in Animals: An Evolutionary Perspective”.

I think about zoo call monkey Elton and David. If Black tiger call Barack and Michelle, it be ok?

19. Yurifury

Exactly!

20. It just accrued to me that maybe homosexuality in all species is some sort of natures birth balance control for overcrowding this lovely planet

@ myself [God, that sound silly]:

‘Nature’ does have a formula for control: it’s called disease. Clearly it’s not working all that well any more, since this ‘lovely’ planet is increasingly unlovely with overcrowding.

Had that not ‘accrued’ to you?

21. It’s either for dominance, or for companionship.

And exactly how many conventional heterosexual relationships do you think that formula would cover?

22. @Rehan there many possibles why gay be. myself no be argue. he say what think.

23. To those who say, this isn’t evidence for anything – well, since when has it been sensible to base our moral values on what’s observed in the animal kingdom?
    I mean, try doing that with abortion.

24. EnzoInOmaha 14 Feb 2011, 4:57pm

Put a female spider monkey in heat, with them, and watch them ‘be gay’
    LU

Not true. 7-9% of Rams will have nothing to do with ewes, to the eternal consternation of sheep ranchers.

25. ElijahTruth 24 Feb 2011, 8:15pm

Found you on a Slap in the head by chance while searching for a contact for Charles Mcvety which “i” never found, yet the subject matter below exposes the infection the monkeys have, and also is the same unclean bacterial spirit that causes gays to be gays/prefer the company of men! So “i” pasted the comment left on A matter of Taste and other blogs, tried on a slap in the head yet found no means to do so…Much respect too all in the war against unclean spirits/bacteria as all mankind…

My friend it is sad, but what Charles Mcvety states as you know is very true, most homosexual men and women were molested as children by other homosexual men or women bringing them into the sad life style of this what the world now calls the gay movement! As the bible teaches us in Genesis and the book of Judges, when gays become leaders of the land, rape of men and women become the normal act of society, demanding the right too know/rape any who they encounter, if not allowed to do so they are prejudice, or bigoted is what society begins demanding due to their sick acts! As in sodom those infected/possessed by the infection of sin begin demanding all be perverted so they can feel normal!

Very sad, the cause of Homosexuality has been now found by science for many years and is the unclean spirits spoken by our Lord Jesus christ who foretold that in this day, we would discover unclean bacterial spirits that would be the cause of all unnatural acts of mankind/womankind….for viewing literal images of the unclean spirits satan/death makes its sin/death/demons from go to the website at htttp://www.adamandeveseedgatheringministry.com on the near bottom of the about page and on the services page are images of that which makes gays gays, and makes drunks drunks! No gays are not special as they try to protray, genius they claim, it is due to the fact that the infection of Life called satan/death/sin which all have, want those who are intelligent lost and playing with their own bottom due to it fearing Gods intelligent Children….it has begun…much respect ElijahTruth