Man attacked gay Labour councillor with hammer after sex

1. Meet stranger in woods. Invite back for sex. What could go wrong?

2. This is where that godforsaken promiscuous label comes from.

3. This is how some people choose to meet it doesn’t give anyone the right to take a hammer to you.

you could meet online and invite the person round – agree there is a risk and I think should make all of us aware there are homophobe’s and mentally impaired people out there that may wish to cause harm.

whats very sad it the guy lied about how they had met. Maybe if there was full trust in the police and legal system people wouldn’t feel the need to lie.

4. He was probably more embarrassed for having to admit what he’d been up to given his position as a Councillor, rather than not feeling he was able to trust the police. The rozzers would undoubtedly have picked holes in his story – especially as once they’d got the attacker, they’d have put two and two together from the testimonies not matching up. t’s not just mentally impaired or homophobic types, if you’re stupid enough to get involved in an activity with strangers that renders you vulnerable, then you will be a perfect target for criminals of any kind – thieves, extortionists, the lot.

Yet again, some promiscuous idiot who puts his willy before his brain gets us all another black mark and just confirms all those stereotypes about us all over again. I actually couldn’t care less whether he got mashed with a hammer or not, I have respect for people like him who drag us all down. Some victim he is.

5. Dan Filson 9 Feb 2011, 10:45pm

The self-righteous will now run amok, as they already have here.

6. What a joke 9 Feb 2011, 11:48pm

alex – “This is where that godforsaken promiscuous label comes from.”

mmmmmmmmoron – “Yet again, some promiscuous idiot who puts his willy before his brain gets us all another black mark and just confirms all those stereotypes about us all over again.”

I think you’ll find that it’s just you 2 who have judged him so far.

There are some truly stupid people who leave comments on this site.

7. PinkPolitico 10 Feb 2011, 12:33am

I hope the poor guy recovers soon. No one deserves that. Also, he didn’t do anything illegal. They were to have sex in a private home and not in public so I can’t understand why he would have had anything to fear from the police. Not how I personally go about meeting partners but there are absolutely no legal issues around a guy picking up another guy regardless of venue and a Councillor of all people should know this so I hope then that the “fear” was based on possible negative fallout for his political career and nothing else.

8. Marian? Marian???!!!

9. Yes this happen to anyone but is not because gay, it because you no check out person. Get to know person then no risk. Risky sex is risky in many way. Don’t take sweets from strangers don’t take sex from strangers.

10. mmmmmm
    I bet you’d never say that to my face you pussy. Just keep

11. something tells me there’s more here than meets the eye.

12. Marian? Marian???!!!

Romanian I think, or Polish.

(Irrelevant factoid: Marion – with an O – was John Wayne’s real name.)

13. What a joke

Living up to your name again I see…

“I think you’ll find that it’s just you 2 who have judged him so far.”

Yep, indeed we have. You can only judge people on how they behave. It’s a bit like whenever a woman gets her rack out for The Sun – it just feeds stereotypes and helps to keep equality at bay.

“And I take it you 2 think heterosexuals don’t pick one another up for casual sex? That there’s no such thing as a heterosexual prostitution, or heterosexual dogging, that heterosexuals wouldn’t engage inn such ‘promiscuous’ behaviour. LOL.”

Don’t know what you think is so funny. It’s pretty obvious that straight people do it (perhaps you’re not quite as worldly on these matters as the rest of us). But since when have straight people been slapped with a blanket label for a minority in their community doing that kind of thing? They don’t. We do. That’s the difference. We’ve been trying to shake off this association between gay men and promiscuity and this idiot has just made sure it happens all over again. Are you trying to tell me you actually AGREE with his behaviour and you don’t think it has any negative ramifications for us?

“There are some truly stupid people who leave comments on this site.”

Self-referencing again I see….

14. mmmmmmmmm

No one deserved to be attacked.

15. James!

“mmmmmm
    I bet you’d never say that to my face you pussy. Just keep
    Banging that rubbish out on you keyboard Safe in the knowledge that you’re a stinking putrid coward who should be put out of your misery”

A) I’m not sure on what grounds I am supposed to be a ‘coward’ – could you actually explain that. Until then I’ll just dismiss it as your usual nonsensical, reactionary, unfounded spite.

B) I’d say every word to your face. And if you wound me up enough as well, I’d probably sit you on your backside as well.

Capisci?

16. Gav

“maybe your lucky and have bars and clubs local to you – for many people for many reasons it may be the only way to meet other gay men.”

Massive assumption. I live in a rural area, yet have never felt the need through my own high level of personal respect to go and pick up a complete stranger. In the dark. Alone. In the middle of nowhere. The only way to meet gay men? Has he never heard of internet dating? You know, where you can chat firts, get to know someone, arrange to meet in a safe place during daylight hours? It kind of reduces your chances of getting attacked.

In this modern age, there is no necessity whatsoever for someone to partake in this kind of behaviour. It’s anachronistic. This is hardly the age of Molly Houses!

“What a disgusting comment to make I actually couldn’t care less whether he got mashed with a hammer or not’
    No one deserved to be attacked.”

If he hadn’t besmirched the public image of all other gay men in the process, then I might have some sympathy. He did this in the full knowledge of the consequences of what could happen. This isn’t some tragc accident where he was hit by a bus, he invited someone he met at a cruising site into his own home. If you play with fire……

17. Dan Filson

” The self-righteous will now run amok, as they already have here.”

Too right. But that’s because we aren’t engaging in dangerous and image-tarnishing behaviour that is used against the gay community on a regular basis by its opponents. It is a completely unnecessary method of meeting guys, there are plenty of alternatives. A friend of mine is a fireman and they have training exercises out in woodlads and open spaces. Every time he comes back he tells me about the blokes he’s seen – even at lunchtime – loitering around, picking up. And on occasion actually midway through a sexact. He has no problem with gay people, but he can’t understand why there are some who continue to do this even when they know it draws such negative attention. I agree. It’s people thinking with their penises and not their brains.

18. Mmmm you are a coward go the next gay pride in London and identify yourself and make your position known and see how long you last. You should be dead Along with those self-righteous selfhating gay people

19. James!

“Mmmm you are a coward go the next gay pride in London and identify yourself and make your position known and see how long you last. You should be dead Along with those self-righteous selfhating gay people”

Aren’t you now a hypocrite for wishing me dead? I’d rather stick darts in my eyes than go to some crass Pride, I’ll leave that to all you deeply insecure types who need to pick up strangers to feel validated as humans. I’m just going to stay riiiiiiight here and get laid with someone I know. I’ll leave the scraps at Pride to you :)

20. Yep mmm is uneducated hetrisexual homophonic christian scum and should fie in pain

21. Jock S. Trap 10 Feb 2011, 10:55am

It doesn’t matter if we agree with certain methods in cruising others that does not entitle people to use violence.

The fact he felt he couldn’t tell the truth is all down to how society treats us. Thankfully he realised and was shown that in 2011 being Gay and having sex is not illegal and most now treat us better.

It’s all very well to point the finger and make nasty comments but there is nothing worse than a so called Gay person trying to score the most points by smearing the LGBT community to what probably is their own level.

22. This just makes me appreciate my amazing boyfriend.

23. He later told police officers how the pair had met and blamed his first account on a “combination of fear and embarrassment”, as well as his head injury……..as well as his head injury? Yeah right, a lying politico to the last. Its hammer time! I’m waiting for the red tops to do a “Gay Hammer Horror” headline, that’ll have the movie geeks racing for the messageboards with the misguided belief that Rupert Everett or Louie Spence have teamed up as fearless vampire killers.

24. Nice comparison jock. We may have cp’s and prides but if 2 men hold hand and walk down any high street in the uk they will be attacked. Guyswho Become homophobic once they’ve come are very common and picking up strangers is always risky. This society still hates us and the only reason we have rights is to keep up with the rest of the world it’s PR and marketing with no substance where it counts. That’s why the councilor lied that’s why he’s being vilified by these homophobic idiots pretending to be gay. Funny they always expect us to believe they have loving partners like such hatred could be loved.

25. James!

“Yep mmm is uneducated hetrisexual homophonic christian scum and should fie in pain”

Crikey, are you from the same womb as Helen? I thought you were a bit thick before, but now I KNOW you’re stupid.

26. Jock

“As for ‘stereotyping’ gay people as promiscuious may I remind certain disrespectful individuals that the UK still has the highest amount of unwanted pregancies, abortions in particularly in teenagers plus STD are extremely high amongst heterosexuals. Also that 54% of New diagnoses last year for HIV were indeed in the straight community.”

Who has denied that? The difference is that gay people are stereotyped for this behaviour and straights are not. The only way we will lose that stereotype is by not actually engaging in the behaviour that gives us that label. It’s pretty simple. More to the point, how many MPs have had to resign because of their ‘love children’ and heterosexual affairs? Quite a few.

No one is immune to a good old-fashioned sex scandal, it has nothing to do with who is involved in the scandal itself.

27. James!

“Nice comparison jock. We may have cp’s and prides but if 2 men hold hand and walk down any high street in the uk they will be attacked.”

WILL be attacked? As in, it is CERTAIN they will be attacked? I’ve never been attacked, kind of blows your scaremongering theory out the water a bit.

“Guyswho Become homophobic once they’ve come are very common and picking up strangers is always risky.”

Once they’rve ‘come’? Do you mean ‘come out’? I’m not sure how being ‘out’ and being involved in risky situations correlates….

“This society still hates us”

No, they just hate self-victimisng attention seekers like you. Hate is a strong word and tarring all of society with the same brush is as bad as saying all gay men are paedophiles. Do you not see your hypocrisy?

“and the only reason we have rights is to keep up with the rest of the world it’s PR and marketing with no substance where it counts.”

Keep up? Bar a handful of nations, we’ve been leading the way!!

“That’s why the councilor lied that’s why he’s being vilified by these homophobic idiots pretending to be gay.”

He lied because he was more interested in saving his career, not because he we was afraid of the police.

“Funny they always expect us to believe they have loving partners like such hatred could be loved.”

Again, you are tarring everyone with the same brush. Irresponsible, crash and raises concerns over your ability to grasp reality.

28. @This just makes me appreciate my amazing boyfriend. Adam.

‘Smug’ much Adam?

29. Jock S. Trap 10 Feb 2011, 1:02pm

“The only way we will lose that stereotype is by not actually engaging in the behaviour that gives us that label.”

Going cruising isn’t my idea of fun, nowadays when I was younger sure but so long as it’s between 2 (or more) consenting adults and not hurting or disturbing anybody else who cares? I don’t. It’s a free country and quite frankly the fact you need to label such stereotypes makes you no different to thoses heteros who think it too.

Freedom wins hand down.

30. What a joke 10 Feb 2011, 1:40pm

just ignore mmmmmmmmmmmoron.

Troll of the highest order. It has issues. Big issues.

31. @This just makes me appreciate my amazing boyfriend. Adam.

‘Smug’ much Adam?!

It wasn’t me who wrote this, someone has masqueraded in my name. When is this site going to get unique user IDs?

32. Jock

“So acting different and not acting entirely in an equal way to our heterosexual counterparts is the only way we can rid of stereotype?”

When straights people are not being condemned for the same activity, then yes. Keep our noses clean and we’ll attract less negative attention. Not to mention that cruising, dogging, cottaging etc are all very anti-social – they inflict what should be private sex acts onto the public. Either because it’s in a public place, the condoms/lube sachets are left around the place or someone taking a crap gets someone spying over their still/through a glory hole. We should dissociate ourselves from that as much as possible.

“Bit like going back in the closet and not coming out til the name calling stops. Pathetic!”

No. You just have to act dignified while you’re out of the closet. The same as we expect from anyone else.

“Sorry but get over yourself. So there are uneducated people out there who feel it’s just Gay people who act like this, must we also make them see the error of their ways?”

Aren’t these people the ones we’re trying to convince that we are equal human beings? How is indulging in the more anti-social, sleazy antics of society going to give us a good name? Shag in your own home like other people are expected to, then people will find less excuses with which to discriminate against us. Pretty logical, no?

“You can stereotype all you want but the fact is Most people know there are just as many heterosexual people who cruise as Gays/Lesbians in the same way there are just as many, straight and Gay/Lesbian who don’t.”

Most people obviously don’t, as we still get the overwhelming majority of the blame for it.

“It is only being stereotyped because the likes of you, feeling high and mighty, who feel the need to judge everyone.”

Erm, no I think the Church and conservative groups do a pretty good job of it by themselves. I’m just acknowledging that a) gay people do it and b) if we didn’t, we couldn’t be associated with it. Not rocket science is it, eh Jock?

“Going cruising isn’t my idea of fun, nowadays when I was younger sure but so long as it’s between 2 (or more) consenting adults and not hurting or disturbing anybody else who cares?”

It’s in a public place and thus impacting on other people who do not wish to witness other people involved in sexual activity. That reason alone is one reason why it’s so socially reviled. There’s also the fact that it keeps taking place on private land and those owners want it off their properties. Of course, you of the bleeding-heart brigade who claim it to be a ‘cultural practice’ or whatever, just make us all get the blame.

“It’s a free country and quite frankly the fact you need to label such stereotypes makes you no different to thoses heteros who think it too.”

It’s not a country where one is free to do EXACTLY what one wants. That is the point of the rule of law. I haven’t stereotyped, I’ve acknowledged quite a few gay people do it and why I think it is antisocial. If I’d stereotyped, I’d have been including myself in that, which, understandably, would be rather paradoxical.

“To be honest if the right to equal freedoms means a bit of immature labelling and name calling from idiots until they get properly educated then so be it.”

There is no equal freedo to have sex in public. I’m not sure what your point is here. This activity has nothing to do with equal treatment in the workplace etc. Can you clarify what you mean (again)?

“Freedom wins hand down.”

This is irrelevant, no-one has absolute freedom.

33. I agree m is a skidmark who shold be put down it was a sad day when his mum drop that out her c u n t. Noes probally got a small dick too

34. Jock S. Trap 10 Feb 2011, 3:30pm

All I see is you wish us to remain Unequal but not only you but everyone else too. Probably picture the LGBT community in some kind of Stepford Wives ‘stereotype’. All behaving the same and doing as we’re told. Staying in check against them horrible heteros.

You live in your bigotted self-loathing bubble if you want to.

Live ain’t like that and I for one am very relived it isn’t. You may make the choice not to go cruising but you do not have the right to stop others. Not all have the means of a PC for chatroom and like I said if it’s consenting adults who are not hurting or disturbing anyone else so what.

I’m sure there aren’t many people as ‘perfect’ as you want to make out to be. Just as I would challenge anybody else on Gay stereotyping and stand up for myself and the LGBT community I do with you.

35. Jock

“All I see is you wish us to remain Unequal but not only you but everyone else too.”

Not at all. Part of equality is taking responsibility for ones actions. Cruising etc has a politically correct blind-eye turned to it by a lot of people because ‘it’s what gay people do’ and to criticise us for it would be considered ‘discrimination’. That stinks. We shouldn’t be some exception to the rule. It’s not condoned in straight people, why should we be let off the hook? Especially when we get more flack for it than straights. Your issue is that you want the freedom to do EXACTLY as you want without facing any consequences. Good luck finding a country that allows that!

“Probably picture the LGBT community in some kind of Stepford Wives ‘stereotype’. All behaving the same and doing as we’re told. Staying in check against them horrible heteros.”

Why horrible heteros? Says more about your fear of them than anyone else’s. I get on with them fine. But that’s because I don’t feel I have ethics that are any different to most of them. You paint a picture of a militant heterosexual world that is out to get us. If you got out into the wider world and away from the gay clubs, gaydar and public toilets once in a while, you’d see.

“You live in your bigotted self-loathing bubble if you want to.”

How can I be bigotted towards gay people when I’m gay and advocate full equality for gay people? It’s just a reaction of people like you that’s become so engrained that you just shout ‘bigot’ or ‘homophobe’ when someone disagrees with you. Makes you look thick.

“Live ain’t like that and I for one am very relived it isn’t.”

You and me both, not sure why you’re saying this.

“You may make the choice not to go cruising but you do not have the right to stop others.”

The law does. Sex in public places is illegal. Duh. Thats why people find it distasteful – gay and straight. Double duh.

“Not all have the means of a PC for chatroom”

Go to a gay bar? Call a gay helpline to find out where to meet people? Read a gay magazine to find out where to meet people? Or place a personal ad? Come on, don’t be thick now.

“and like I said if it’s consenting adults who are not hurting or disturbing anyone else so what.”

See above – it’s IN a public place!

“I’m sure there aren’t many people as ‘perfect’ as you want to make out to be.”

That sentence doesn’t make sense. Make MYSELF or everyone else out to be perfect? Read what you write, eh. Good lad.

“Just as I would challenge anybody else on Gay stereotyping and stand up for myself and the LGBT community I do with you.”

Again, this doesn’t make much sense. Challenge who for making gay stereotypes?

“If you choose to stay in Narnia thats your choice but for all your bleating about who stereotypes, fact is your no better than those Churches and conservative groups because you clearly believe your own bigotry.”

Erm, I have been out since I was at school, hardly encased in ice surrounded by fawns, is it?! I’m no different to churches and conservative groups? Right, so my continual advocation of equal rights for all makes me….a bigot? A homophobe? You are confusing the equal RESPONSIBILITIES that come with having those rights (whereby you cannot claim prejudice as being the reason for you breaking the law) with religious doctrine. Can you explain one again, because it has a manure-like content?

I’m actually starting to think you are the enemy of aprogressive society. Legalising cruising and cottaging would not be something any sane person could consider progressive!

36. Mmm loves to screen dump and it leaves skidmarks all over the place.

37. Seriously, it’s a simple point. Cruising around public places in the dark is incredibly dangerous, and it’s also seen by the general public as sleazy, distasteful behaviour. I don’t see why being gay means you no longer have to subscribe to basic ideas like public decency, and why it seems to mean you can do whatever you want and expect nothing bad to come of it. All actions have consequences. Behave with as much promiscuity and irresponsibility as you like, but accept that it has dangers, and don’t act surprised when members of your minority community speak out against you for adding to the stereotypes from which the community is trying to disassociate itself.

mmmmmmm is absolutely right.

No one should have to get hit on the head with a hammer, granted, but are you lot honestly telling me he has anyone to blame but himself? Maybe in future he should think about finding better ways to meet people, and whilst he’s at it do his bit to lessen the stigma we all face by reducing the amount of stereotypically promiscuous irresponsible behaviour within our community.

I don’t see why people on here immediately leap to attack anyone who stands up for responsibility and decorum. It’s like the people who say you’re a fascist if you believe in a free market. Being gay does not mean a licence to do what you like regardless of consequence, and saying so isn’t homophobic, stupid or ignorant. It’s common sense.

38. I’ve met innumerable casual partners, a good many of whom I’ve brought home. None of them has attacked me with a hammer, so the attempt to read a moral tale into this is rather silly imo.

39. James!

I’m starting to think you’re obsessed with me.

40. Joe

“I’ve met innumerable casual partners, a good many of whom I’ve brought home. None of them has attacked me with a hammer, so the attempt to read a moral tale into this is rather silly imo.”

It’s ultimately your choice what you do, but:

a) if you haven’t brought them all home, then presumably you have been having sex in public places – illegal and, again, another thing to be used against us

b) if one of them does deck you, rob you or rape you, then you can’t really expect to be surprised, can you? If you are prepared to compromise your personal safety just for the sake of getting laid, then you can’t get mad when it happens. Especially when it is not the only way to get laid – there are plenty of safer options.

41. Sven

Hats off, excellent point. Sensible, well-considered and crammed with good advice for how we, as a community, can be better repsected by changing some of our own actions. It’s a bit like telling Muslim’s they’d get better press if they made a concerted effort to stop the few in their community who fly planes into buildings. Communities have to help themselves, they aren’t just puppets of the state.

42. “if one of them does deck you, rob you or rape you, then you can’t really expect to be surprised, can you?”

Most crimes of these nature are committed by someone known to the victim, often a close family member. One could just as well say “if your husband does deck you, you can’t really be surprised can you?”

43. mmmmmmmmmm

Thank you. I do sometimes worry that our community refuses to accept any responsibility for the way it’s viewed and treated. It often prefers instead to shout down its own members who don’t subscribe to a victimhood complex. It’s no way to make progress or to be taken seriously by the rest of society.

44. Pink news editors you know when multiple names comes from one ip address sort I out or no comments this is stupid

45. I understand why he didn’t tell the police the truth, it’s because someone would write a news story on it and he’d face embarrassment, he got brutally attacked in his home and by the media.

I don’t agree with his sexual behaviour but that should be his own business what he gets up to.

46. de Villiers 10 Feb 2011, 7:54pm

I would have thought that all people have the right not to be assaulted – or to put it another way, we all have a claim on each other’s behaviour that they do not assault us. If that right is to be overridden, it would have to be on particularly strong grounds.

I cannot see how engaging in the lawful activity of cruising for sex should entail the loss of the right not to be assaulted. Criticising this male or failing to sympathise with him being attacked with a hammer sounds eerily like those old arguments about women ‘asking for it’ by wearing attractive clothing.

47. The guy is stupid. He should take his gun before the violence started and then kill the bastard.

48. Jock S. Trap 11 Feb 2011, 8:21am

Well said de Villiers!!

49. De Villiers

“I cannot see how engaging in the lawful activity of cruising for sex should entail the loss of the right not to be assaulted.”

Meeting someone to potentially have sex with in your house is not illegal. But having sex in a public place is illegal. This chap might not have done it in public, but where he met his attacker is certainly well-known for it. If you choose to be associated with something so obviously illegal, then you can expect to be criticised. Aside from it being illegal, it’s a practice for which we receive much justified criticism. Ignoring that just for the sake of ‘personal freedom’, despite how it incites negative views of us, is irresponsible. So, thanks for advocating it and subjecting us all to a little extra tarring. Don’t make the rest of us pay for your seediness.

“Criticising this male or failing to sympathise with him being attacked with a hammer sounds eerily like those old arguments about women ‘asking for it’ by wearing attractive clothing.”

Not at all. This is not the same as going to a nightclub or walking down the street in a miniskirt. But if said woman in ‘attractive clothing’ went dogging and was picking up strangers in a woodland or on a marsh, then she shouldn’t be surprised at being attacked. She’s willingly put herself in danger. This man should be seen no differently. There is no justification for assault, but there is justification in criticising someone for putting themselves in a situation that leaves you vulnerable to it – especially when it was completey unnecessary. He should stick to internet dating.

50. “He should stick to internet dating.” Oh bog off you hectoring nit.

51. Joe

Nice to see you have nothing to say again. If you want to contest my point, perhaps you could make your scrawlings more interesting by actually adding some substance.

52. yes, it should be his own business. unless, of course, he stood for public office as a role model/leader of the community and then when facing the embarresment of his won actions, chose to lie to the police.
    This man, if you do the research, is a cabinet member in his council. A Chair of that council’s political majority group and speaks on equality. Clearly, he should resign his positions. is that harsh, yes, a little, but if he wanted to cruise and pick up men for sex in public, then he should have thought twice about standing for public office.

53. de Villiers 15 Feb 2011, 8:16am

> Meeting someone to potentially have sex with in your house is not illegal. But having sex in a public place is illegal. This chap might not have done it in public, but where he met his attacker is certainly well-known for it. If you choose to be associated with something so obviously illegal, then you can expect to be criticised.

This is a bit slippery. You have said that what he was doing was not illegal. But he might have had the intention to do something illegal. Therefore, if you do something illegal, you can be criticised.

In any event, even if one does something illegal, one does not necessarily waive one’s right not to be attacked. If I were to steal something from a shop, I could be detained with reasonable force but it would be a breach of my rights if I were then to be strapped to a chair and tortured or beaten with a pole.

Similarly, a prostitute who breaks the law by touting herself should have the same rights not to be assaulted, beaten or killed as any other woman. The performing of an activity, even if illegal, is not a sufficient waiver of basic claim rights.