Seven-year-old donates to LA gay centre because he thinks inequality is unfair

1. Beautiful. Amazing how a little voice can speak so loudly with such power for good.

2. Wonderful. The 90’s may have failed to spew out enough open minded teenagers, hopefully this will finally be the era of accepting loving youth culture.

3. Luke from Canada 8 Feb 2011, 1:11am

when i was his age I didn’t even know what gay was, times certainly have changed Good for him.

4. I didn’t know what gay was at 7 either. I remember not knowing what it meant at 8 years old – just that kids often called each other it at 8.

I certainly wouldn’t be interested in the details – just about loving.

5. What a little sweetheart!

(“Check” is of course the correct spelling for Americans.)

6. This gives me hope that out tomorrows will be better than our today

7. Blessings to Malcolm.

8. Steve@GayWebHosting 8 Feb 2011, 8:04am

Beautiful. This brought tears to my eyes. Just shows that people are not born filled with prejudice and hate. It is something that is learned.

And well-done to his PARENTS. You are helping to raise your child to be a well-rounded and caring person.

The homophobes and god-squad fanatics should learn from Malcolm. This 7 year old can see a simple truth that with their years of learned bigotry and hate the homophobes are BLIND to… It is just not right for gay people not to be treated equally.

Bless you Malcolm.

9. An Cat Dubh 8 Feb 2011, 8:13am

Aww, that’s so adorable and heartarming!
    (The kid looks pretty gay on that pic, but still :Þ)

10. Quite right, Steve@GayWebHosting. Heartwarming as this story is, in showing us that even little boys can be generous of spirit and concerned about fairness, it is as much as testament to his parents’ clearly excellent values and enlightened attitudes to childrearing..

11. Alanwmids1 8 Feb 2011, 8:51am

That’s brought a tear to my eye this morning. It also brings hope that maybe society in the future will be better for the LGBT community if people like Malcolm continue to support us.

12. Speechless. What a little star.

13. I concur with comments, what a sweetheart.

14. Thank you Malcolm

(that made my day!)

15. Like the rest, I have to get my hanky out. Totally adorable.

16. Hanky needed here too,.

17. martyn notman 8 Feb 2011, 12:59pm

aw bless! I dont think the comments that he looks gay are at all helpful, he may well not be and it shouldnt make a difference either way

18. An example of good parenting and a very kind and thoughtful child.

19. awesome kid

20. Out of the mouths of babes! Superb! His parents deserve praise for raising their child to respect others. Homophobia, just like the religious nutters, is learned behaviour. This is the generation that will win us full equality, I’m convinced of it. I’m hearing similar sentiments coming from my older cousin’s two grand children, both 11 and 14 years old.

21. What a lovely young man.
    Well done parents xD My little brothers understanding of the word ‘gay’ is that it means ‘bad’.

I’d of corrected but I left it to my parents and my fathers attitude was, “All ten year olds are homophobic and sexist aren’t they?”

22. Keith from UK 8 Feb 2011, 3:52pm

Sex was never talked/taught about when I was at school.I left school age 15 and I bought myself a good sex education books.So thanks to my educators I taught myself sex

23. What a kind, considerate family, this is exceptional and so rare! Really pleasing story, and nice to read something positive

24. Come back when you’re 16 Malcolm, hummuna hummuna!

25. Rachy-Roo 8 Feb 2011, 5:16pm

Awww! That’s got me all weepy! What a little star

26. The Rev JRB 8 Feb 2011, 6:35pm

Good on him. This brings a nice new spin to “And a little child shall lead them.”
    Now, let’s hope that HRC is encouraged to pursue full equal rights a bit more vigorously. They’ve been criticized in the past for foot-dragging accomodationist tendencies. The creation of AFER (Amer. Foundation for Equal Rights) a couple of years ago has been a good catalyst for getting HRC more focused.
    Onward and upward.

27. Awesome story Pink News! Lets have more stories like this please!

28. Bless his little heart. Yep times have changed…and out of the mouth of babes.

And yes, kudos to his parents for raising such a lovely young man.

29. I’m really glad that even young kids are more conscious about equality and diversity. and also, thanks to the parents ^^

30. Mike from Hawaii 9 Feb 2011, 3:48pm

Can I adopt him?????

What a little star – you have just made my day!!!!!

31. paul millam 9 Feb 2011, 7:21pm

i think this is a childs inocent but solomonic judgement. I also applaud the parents in the way they did not interfere and thus show the skill in the way to have an understanding child. WELL DONE

32. Fred Verhulst Hope BC 9 Feb 2011, 11:48pm

Young People are growing up in a different world. It lifts my heart to see parents are opening up to diversity. Hate is learned. When I over heard my young naboirs of 10 to 13 talking about an American TV show. “Will and Grace” and how I was nice like Will. Well that was the beginning for me

33. What a sweet little boy!

34. What an absolutely thoughtful, sensitive and darling child!

He is a real symbol of what an upbringing of tolerance and love can show!

I am also saddened that this little boy is able to see the equality is important yet people 2/3/4 times his senior can’t or will not see that no matter what our race/religion/social status/sexuality/etc is, we are all the same and should be treated as such.

Well done to him, and his parents!

35. Just me that finds this a bit too ‘sweet’ and unbelievable? Can you imagine a seven year old you actively thinking about what charities there were in your area then sitting down and writing a beautifully cute little note? hmmm

36. Just me that finds this a bit too ‘sweet’ and unbelievable?

Yes Jonathan, it might just be you. You might be right that few 7-year-olds would think of these things without encouragement, but you’ll note in this instance his parents gave him the money to give to a charity and to make him think about giving – and allowed him to make his own mind up about the recipients. On this occasion I don’t think it’s necessary to be cynical.

37. snapdragon 15 Mar 2011, 3:46am

Beautiful.

38. God Bless the little children who teach their parents and the world how to love one another.

39. what a little sweetie. kids, dont you love em. they have no instinct for hate or inequality until adults take over and instil it.

40. Bless his heart. Definitely a testament to the parents who are bringing him up.