Scotland sees huge increase in reported homophobic hate crime

1. This is such ashame. I’m always told how beautiful Scotland is, but this is the very reason I’ve always avoided going.

On the other hand perhaps it’s an increase in people coming out and reporting the crime than an actual increase in the crime itself? In a roundabout way it could be a good thing, as more people are coming out, more people are reporting the crime etc?

Still… tragic that it’s considered “part of life.” Sigh…

2. theotherone 8 Feb 2011, 12:10pm

No chris, it’s getting bad here and it’s on the increase.

3. Tim Hopkins 8 Feb 2011, 12:14pm

Yes, the key word here is “reported”. There is no direct evidence that there has been such an increase in hate crimes since five years ago. If there was 5 times as much hate crime, I think LGBT people and organisations would have become aware of the big increase, which we have not.

But there has been a lot of work to get the police to take it seriously and to encourage people to report it.

It’s not clear by the way that there’s a greater rate of homophobic and transphobic hate crime in Scotland than in England and Wales – surveys of LGBT people show similar high rates of having experienced it.

4. Tim Hopkins 8 Feb 2011, 12:17pm

and of course 666 incidents in a year is still huge underreporting…

5. Dan Filson 8 Feb 2011, 1:29pm

Scotland is indeed beautiful, and this is no reason not to go to Scotland. The thugs are not on the hills in the Highlands!

Good that people are reporting crimes – bad that they occur.

6. Great to see more people reporting – but with great sadness that the homophobes are out there affecting the live of LGBT people.

7. I don’t think these figures tell the true story. More people are REPORTING hate crime, that doesn’t mean that more is actually happening than 6 years ago. Fewer people would have been as comfortable about going to the police, even then. Now that legal progress has been made in many areas, people obviously feel able to do so.

That said, the jump in reported hate crimes is still huge and so I would imagine there would have been at least a negligible increase in the number actually happening.

8. bicoastal 8 Feb 2011, 5:18pm

Unusual. Several years ago my partner and I traveled through Scotland and had absolutely no problems, indeed we were impressed as to how welcoming folks were. We stayed at bed and breakfasts for a week as we circumnavigated the country by auto.

The only area there seemed to be a chill in the air was in the western regions (Invergarry, etc.)

9. Tim Hopkins 9 Feb 2011, 9:34am

Interestingly, the Scottish Centre for Social Research just released polling figures showing that 58% of Scots think there’s nothing wrong with same-sex sex, compared to 53% in England.

10. As a gay scot In Edinburgh, Ive been out since 1984 and in all that time to be totally honest Ive had little or no problems with homophobia. Yes in the 80s there was a fair bit about but Im not aware of much hassle here in the last 10 years. Most people couldnt care less. I agree people arent scared to report it now. Homophobia hasnt increased

11. People of Scottland are great.

12. All I can say is my own experiences here in Dundee – Ive been “out” for about 13 years now and i’ve never once experienced bullying, verbal or physical because of my sexuality. I would never not recommend this city to anybody who wanted to visit – The scene is very friendly and welcoming also :-)