Clinton Cards withdraws ‘batty boy’ card after gay protests

1. How about a donation to Stonewall as part of their apology?

2. Stuart Neyton 3 Feb 2011, 5:24pm

stonewall? How about a genuine LGBT charity?

3. dave wainwright 3 Feb 2011, 5:29pm

STONEWALL ? that self serving bunch of Queens who like to play dress up , eat out and exclusion ???

4. Great! Flack works.

5. If they made a cash donation to Stonewall, I reckon Stonewall would deems the card inoffensive. That’s the way Stonewall operates.

6. Dr Robin Guthrie 3 Feb 2011, 6:51pm

Well done Clinton Cards.

7. Steve: Don’t push your luck.
    You complained they withdrew it.
    Job done, now go back to your crochet.

8. Aww, I quite like it… It is weird how Batman is supposed to be unhappy but is clearly smiling (in a creepy fashion) though…

9. OutGuider 3 Feb 2011, 9:56pm

Would have been ok, except for use of “batty boy”. Clearly an offensive term.

Ps. wow, everyone is hating on stonewall!

10. Hate that term ‘batty boy’ or ‘boi’ as the wannabe gangsters round my way pronounce it. Now for something more controversial, am new on here so can someone please fill me in on why Stonewall are so vilified?

11. Dan Filson 3 Feb 2011, 11:50pm

Because as with so much of gay politics on the last 40 years it is easier for the lazy to turn on their own than actually to get up and do something useful

12. Jock S. Trap 4 Feb 2011, 6:43am

A bit shocked that this made the commercial market in 2011 but at least Clinton Cards acted quickly with removing this offensive item and making an apology. Something certain other should learn and take note of.

13. I’m mostly curious why a card like this would ever exist in the first place. What event would this card be used for? Sympathy, birthday, thank you, anniversary, wedding? It just seems so…random.

14. Perhaps they should also rethink their Gay cards collection.

They’re just a bit creepy.

15. @CMYB Most hate Stonewall because it doesn’t consult or listen LGBT people before forming its policies. Stonewall has been less than supportive of marriage equality. In addition Stonewall suggested that sexual orientation doesn’t require the same level of protection as other equality strands.

16. I’d like to know the name of the design company responsible for the card or was it an in-house designer for Clinton Cards?

17. Good reaction to complaint…can we do the same for Melanie Phillips…i.e have her permanently withdrawn from circulation?

18. Would have been ok, except for use of “batty boy”. Clearly an offensive term.

It wouldn’t mean anything then, would it? He is using it as a reference to Batman / Batsy / Batty Boy

I can see the funny side of it, and where the cartoonist is coming from, but he probably didn’t realise the connotations when he did it.

19. How the he’ll did that card get through quality control. Clinton cards needs to answer that and I’m forwarding the link to my mates in USA. A lot gay men have that insult thrown at them daily. I laughed for a second them remembered my mates who committed suicide.

20. Are we going to launch a campaign against Alan Carr now for calling his chat show “Chatty Man”, obviously a play on “Batty Man”.

In fact sod it, let’s go after Stephen K Amos too, after all his Channel 4 comedy programme was actually called “Batty Man”, no pun even attempted.

21. Anyone EVER found a tasteful card in Clintons?

Just asking?

22. Paul Bacon 4 Feb 2011, 12:26pm

23. Dave, exactly right. If anyone goes to StonewallUK’s website, you won’t find one word regarding marriage equality. Why is that? If Summerskill can’t multi task, then he should be replaced with someone who can. Full civil marriage equality is as urgent as tackling the bullying issue. Homophobia will never be completely eradicated and neither will bullying. Ignorance like hate and racism begets one generation to the next, learned behaviour. Over time, it might diminish as people become more educated but it will never be entirely eradicated in the straight world and no amount of laws will prevent it.

As far as I’m concerned, Summerskill’s reversal in opposing marriage equality are nothing more than empty words to save face. He should resign.

24. I have a friend who would totally have gotten me this for my birthday, He knows I hate Batman, and I would have loved it!

Theres homophobic propaganda, and then theres just a giggle. This is definately the latter.

25. Chucky, Stephen K Amos’ show “Batty Man” wasn’t a comedy show. It was a documentary about homophobia in the black community.

Fair point. Let’s just hound Alan Carr then, for using the term as a pun.

26. “can someone please fill me in on why Stonewall are so vilified?@

Because they pretend to be an equality group but want to maintain discrimination against LGBT people so they will still get paid.

There really is no need for Stonewall any more. There’s nothing they do that cannot be done by a group which actually believes that gay people deserve equality.

27. What a joke 4 Feb 2011, 4:47pm

Chucky, “Fair point. Let’s just hound Alan Carr then, for using the term as a pun.”

Alan Carr never used the term. How does chatty man mean batty man? They’re two different words. It’s called chatty man, cause he’s a chatty man?

What is your point anyway? that clinton cards should sell homophobic cards?

28. What a joke 4 Feb 2011, 4:48pm

And what the hell does stonewall have to do with this story?

29. Nice to see the usual negative moaning queens are about. You know the ones who sit on their arse and moan about Stonewall or anyone else who uses a dirty word like organisation. With friends like them who needs enemies.

30. Roger “With friends like them who needs enemies.”

One could say the same about Stonewall themselves, as a gay man, they sure as hell don’t represent me. They are a bunch of self appointed, self aggrandising bunch of sycophants that are naturally drawn towards money and publicity, and don’t give a flying fcuk about the gay cause.

If foreigners can have a government quango to represent them, (CRE), why do we have to suffer some tin-pot charity to do the same thing?

31. And for heterosexuals like myself who had never heard of the term “Batty Boy”, exactly what social benefit has been earned by this act of censorship?

32. @ Bob: it’s to be hoped it would enlighten the ignorant, perhaps?

33. Tattydog wrote

“Good reaction to complaint…can we do the same for Melanie Phillips…i.e have her permanently withdrawn from circulation?”

. . . . .

We can hope!!!

34. to Bob

im sorry i have to ask, how old are you/were are from if you have never heard the term batty man? i am actualy intregued as this word was thrown around as frequent as the teletubies sayings in my primary school so it seems so random to be me that someone has never heard it…

and as for the censorship, reading that type of extreamly offensive langauge used in such a calm, (seemingly) acceptable, midly humorous mannor could reinforce the sterotype that all heterosexuals and heterosexual organisations are institutionally homophobic which could be harmfull for an individual with little or no knowlege on the larger LGBT community debating ‘coming out’.

and as for stonewall, they are instrinsicly biphobic and transphobic in their work. They publicly refuse to associate transgender indiviuals and communities with sexual oriention therefore encouraging oppression and isolation. And they (much like every LGBT organisation) almost compleatly ignore bisexuality and the complexities around non monosexual identities.

where is the B and T in LGBT Stonewall?!

35. Spanner do you try and be difficult just for the sake of it.
    i have been reading your comments on here and you sound very difficult , bitter and slightly twisted.

People like yo should just say nothing as your rotten.com comments usually add nothing to genuine debate.

36. “And for heterosexuals like myself who had never heard of the term “Batty Boy”, exactly what social benefit has been earned by this act of censorship?”

You’re ignorance of the term is not reason to condone it or ignore it, that’s why. Less egocentricity, and more enlightenment, bob.

37. I reckon by this score most of the cards for sale in Clone Zone or Prowler could be taken off the shelves for causing offence! That would be as shame as they have some excellent cards with disgraceful slogans and images. Perfect!

I guess that this is a case of us saying ‘we’ll call ourselves whatever we like, but you have to play nice’.

Personally I thought the card was crap, which is why it’s a good thing they have stopped selling it. I can’t see who the market for this card was anyway – would a homophobic straight guy buy it for a mate? I doubt it…

38. Philip Wester 7 Feb 2011, 11:39pm

Well, at least they gave us a real apology, instead of an “I apologize if anyone was offended”. They actually said “This was offensive. We’re sorry.”

39. I work for Clintons. The card actually comes from the supplier Emotional Rescue. There will be more floating about other shops, as the design is not a Clinton Cards “exclusive”. We just removed it from sale and sent it back.