US store censors Elton’s magazine cover with new baby

1. OMG – people like this should be rounded up and put on an island somewhere so the rest of the civilised world can avoid them. Oh, and they should all be spayed to stop them spewing their bile over another new generation.

2. The store has now pedalled back and removed the shield

3. “OMG – people like this should be rounded up and put on an island somewhere so the rest of the civilised world can avoid them. ”

Totally agree. Who, or what sort of imbecile, would be “offended” by that picture???

4. who would be offended? Any bible-basher who hates the thought of gays being seen as norrmal, commonplace, part of society

5. It sounds like Harps realised the effect this could have on their bottom line. I hope they had a long chat with the bigoted store owner, too.

It would be nice to see Harps come out with a policy covering these sorts of situations, but I’m not holding my breath.

6. It’s a chain of stores and the Headquarters issues these shields to its franchisees to use as they deem appropriate.

It was not the company’s decision to hide the photo. It was the decision of the individual franchisee.

Who hopefully will be losing his franchise in 5, 4, 3 …

7. If I was a kid I’d be pulling back these shields anyway (unless they were too high up)

8. If they had any conviction they’d actually not sell the magazine, rather than putting a shield on it. They have a problem with a gay couple on the cover of a mag but not enough of a problem to not sell it. Grasping and hypocritical ‘phobes.

9. More free advertisement in our favor. We should be pleased. Maybe this is how shop owner made a coming out. I bought OK magazine with same cover in UK and it is lovely family album inside. Cute and hearth warming.

10. They can see papers with pictures of the latest American slaughter in Afghanistan without hindrance. Pictures of the latest high school shooting are fine.

But….. they must protect shoppers eyes from seeing gay dads with a child!

11. What loons complained about the cover? Typical nutter ‘christians’ who spend all day scheming how to victimise people and went into that store just WANTING to be offended.

I’m glad it was removed, but it should never have been put up in the first place.

12. What can one expect from a hillbilly state such as Arkansas where the KKK operates, among others? Truly amazing that a small handful of people can force a business to do their bidding. Thankfully, the sign was removed. You can bet the complainants were religious nutters, after all, Arkansas is bible-belt country where ignorance reigns supreme. Nothing good ever came out of those backward southern states, so this is hardly surprising.

13. Yes, it’s a town with fewer than 15,000 residents in Arkansas! What can you expect?

What is actually rather reassuring is that it’s a local resident who herself publicised the incident so that even we here know about it – Twitter clearly has its uses!

14. Thomas Kilgallon 28 Jan 2011, 2:40pm

What people need to realize is when people say they are offended by things like this, the rest of us have to say something like, “so if the next person sees a mixed race couple on a magazine and is offended by that we should cover that up too? Get out of my store you idiot”

15. Hodge Podge 28 Jan 2011, 2:46pm

I laugh and then I weep

16. Unbelievable! Americans are so backwards sometimes.

17. George Earl 28 Jan 2011, 2:58pm

I’m an American citizen (from New York City) and want to emphasize that this store’s outdated attitude toward we gay folks is not typical. I am delighted to see that this magazine is getting truly realistic by showing Elton and his family on its cover. I hope to see more publishers and broadcasters showing we gay, tax-paying, faithful USA citizens the true rights which we’ve worked so hard to obtain.. And yes–I bought the magazine, but not from the store that so stupidly blocked it from the view of shoppers it hopes to inspire to spend money!

18. Dan Filson 28 Jan 2011, 3:03pm

This is the same state that wanted to bar black students from integrating with white students 50 years ago and President Eisenhower had to send in forces to override the Governor. Fortunately these rednecks are outnumbered.

19. Jock S. Trap 28 Jan 2011, 3:12pm

“Family Shield.
    To protect young
    Harps shoppers.”

Mmm, the mind boggles. It has nothing to do with the young shoppers but everything to do with the bigotted adults.

Why do bigotted adults always feel the need to pass the blame onto the innocent?

It’s their filth one track minds after all!

20. only in America!

21. shades of w h smith – we can’t stock gay news because we’re a family store

22. “only in America!”

“shades of w h smith – we can’t stock gay news because we’re a family store”

Sadly not. These idiocies happen everywhere. But I know full well that Smiths have a ‘top shelf’ which kids can quite easily see if they look up. And I bet this Harps shop does, too. Why else do they have the shields to being with? Hypocrisy piled on hypocrisy.

23. johnny33308 28 Jan 2011, 5:50pm

In many places in America away from the coasts, there live a breed of people who find the modern world ‘too sinful” to even look upon. Such is the extreme stupidity and even more extreme ‘religious’ beliefs in those areas-the people there live in another more primitive time than does the real America-these sorts are just slaves to their churches, offering nothing to America except bigotry and ignorance. We could live very well without their ‘contribution’ to our culture. Barbarians-they do not wish to grow and are satisfied with living in their dark little world. Yes, it is true-there are at least 250+ million of these sorts in the US. Very sad, really, for the rest of us. Disgusting bunch of idiots!

24. What a joke 28 Jan 2011, 6:00pm

@ Daniel

“only in America!”

I think you’ll find it would be much worse in Iran where Gay people are killed by the government, or any other middle eastern country where homos are illegal and murdered. It would also be much worse in Uganda or 90 percent of Africa where it is illegal, punishable by death or imprissonment. It would also be worse in Poland, or 90 percent of eastern Europe where the same applies. And then there’s Russia, or China, or 90 percent of South America.

So it’s not really only in America is it?

25. honey, I know this kind of attitude too well – my employer, here in the UK, banned me from bringing to work the Stonewall “Some people are gay, get over it” mug. Two weeks ago…

26. Unbelievable

27. @Michael
    “banned me from bringing to work the Stonewall “Some people are gay, get over it” mug.”

Did he, or she, also ban every other sign of sexual orientation from the workplace?

28. Stephen Green of Christian Voice celebrity found Elton’s family offensive too, here’s the brutal reality of how Green treated his own family.

Thanks for the link Dave, we always knew the man wasn’t right in the head and now there’s this first person witness account from his ex-wife.

29. de Villiers 29 Jan 2011, 10:30am

> So it’s not really only in America is it?

When using the phrase ‘only in America’ the implied comparators are other Western democracies.

I agree that this is appears to be a typically American response.

30. @Jock
    no, she did not. When confronted, she did see anything wrong with her decision. NOt sure if that is enough to bring this matter further .

31. Wow! Just read that DM article on Stephen Green!! Words fail me. I always assumed he was a total loon shouting and bullying to cover up his own inadequacies, but that was even worse than I thought, and that’s saying something.

Yet again, proof that the most ‘devout’, bossy, holier-than-thou ‘Christians’ all have something to hide.

32. What a joke 29 Jan 2011, 12:07pm

@ de villiers

“I agree that this is appears to be a typically American response.”

Really, let’s get into the details of the “IMPLIED comparators” of “other Western democracies.”

France – illegal for LGBT to adopt. I’m sure you know but the court of human rights had to intervene in france who ruled that the ‘western democracy’ france discriminated against a lesbian woman by preventing her from adopting. This was overruled, but france remains anti gay adoption.

Italy – illegal for LGBT to adopt. A quote from the Italian secretary of state in Nov 2010…… “To impose two parents of the same sex on a child is to subject that child to psychological violence”

UK – Whilst legal to adopt, as you live in our beloved country, you will know the reaction to elton’s new baby is just the same as America.
    Not to mention the BBC getting the homophobic christian green on the news to discuss how wrong it is for Elton to have a child.

I mean I could go on about your beloved ‘Western democracies’. You are a jerk if you think it’s ‘only in America’ that reacted to Elton’s baby like this.

So it’s not really only America where they typically react like this, is it?

33. I was once told, a long time ago, that when one protests too much, one usually has something to hide.

When you look at the activities of all these extreme homophobes who noisily bang the drum saying homosexuality is evil – it is questionable as to why they are so determined…

34. What dweebs. How a cover showing two men and a baby could be harmful to children is beyond me. Their hatred is a lot more harmful than any picture of a happy gay family could be.

35. Legible Lad 30 Jan 2011, 5:29pm

Um, it looks like those “sheilds” can be moved around by anyone.

36. SteveDenver 30 Jan 2011, 5:31pm

Did Elton have to whore himself as Rush Limbaugh’s musical monkey in order to get the baby? That’s obscene.

37. This is how America acts, like the 3 monkeys. hear, see and speak no evil. I know I am an American and that is how my Christian mother and father would deal with any like this.