Glee creator calls Kings of Leon drummer ‘homophobic’

1. Although this Nathan looks like he needs some therapy himself, I don’t think his comments were homophobic. I think they were sexist – he was implying that Ryan Murphy was ‘being a woman’ about the situation, but not in a ‘gay men are feminine’ way. It should be feminists that are angry, not LGBT supporters.

2. Andrew Wells 27 Jan 2011, 2:50pm

If I must be honest, I’d rather the Glee cast not rape Kings of Leon’s songs with their severe overuse of autotune and overall cheesy vibe.

Just sayin’.

3. Michael Anthony 27 Jan 2011, 2:52pm

Ryan Murphy is acting like a thug. He has called out other bands/singers who don’t want to license their songs and his colorful responses are well documented.

He calls KOL assholes, they respond, and they he screams homophobia. Seriously? How does any respond when called an asshole?

4. Or it he could be using the usual gay men are feminine cliche rubbish that so many straight men have about gay people.

That aside, I really do not understand these people that post on say twitter and then later (probably after a lot of media attention) then post another one saying sorry.

Well maybe next time, they may think a lot harder before making these comments if the person who was reading it has now committed suicide due to yet another remark that has just topped the scales for them.

5. Oh for goodness sake, Kings of Leon are rednecks – they’re proud of the fact, so what do you expect from them? If you don’t like it, don’t buy their music. Now shut up and focus on something important like the murder of gay activists in Uganda…

6. Andrew – “Hear ! Hear !”

If a group/singer doesn’t want their songs to be performed by Glee, the shows production team ought to accept it and move on.

7. What a bunch of losers, KOL are crap and so is their music. But what an overreaction by this guy, so what they dnt want to give Thor songs to a show no need to be a douch about it I’m just sure bands are sick of having their music made to sound like garbage by heavily processed lip syncing kids.

8. Their not Thor lol

9. What a joke 27 Jan 2011, 3:08pm

God I hate Glee. What a load of assholes the kids make of themselves on that program.

10. What a shocker. Anyone who says No to Glee = Homophobe. ¬.¬

Pathetic. I bet they’ll be calling Slash a homophobe next. God, the quicker this sick obsession with such a boring, ill created, poorly acted programme that is Glee dies, the better.

11. kings of leon are cool

12. B in the USA 27 Jan 2011, 3:52pm

There’s definitely a “self-centered asshole” here, but it’s not KOL. So tired of Gleetards.

13. “I’m sorry 4 anyone that misconstrued my comments as homophobic or misogynistic”

I didn’t care about this story until I saw this non-apology.

He is not sorry for what he said. He simply sorry that someone was offended.

14. dave wainwright 27 Jan 2011, 5:09pm

It is not homophobic to deny GLEE abusing your songs , it is common sense. As for the remarks attributed to the drummer , sounds like he was just being camp to me :) get over yourselves .

15. It sounds like Ryan Murphy got out of his pram over the song being refused. No artist has to be obliged to let someone else perform their song. If the other person doesn’t like the decision the band made, that’s no reason to saddle them with a clinical decision. Ryan Murphy, get over yourself. Don’t drag the rest of us gays in the dirt because of your personal arguments.

16. ‘People who say ‘I am sorry that you are offended by what I said’ are not making an apology.

He is not sorry for what he said. He simply sorry that someone was offended.’

He didn’t have any thing to apologise for at all, so the dude should feel lucky he got that much.

17. Ryan Murphy 28 Jan 2011, 4:18am

How dare they refuse to let me butcher their music on my brilliant show? I am a special snowflake and they don’t have any right to reject me!

18. Garreth van den Berg 28 Jan 2011, 4:49pm

dude, seriously!!! kings of leon drummer so blatantly meant no offense to gay people but more so to the little queen throwing his bitch fit all over the place. i live in south africa and even i can vouch that “use somebody” has been killed like no other!!! i find it even more pathetic that gay people in the public eye would pass statements such as making all of look like a bunch of prima donna’s. if i was the drummer i would have said a lot worse. grow up.

19. he really needs to let it go he is just making it worst Glee is not that great .big deal kids singing wow and lets throw in a cliche gay guy really …..im gay and i dont find it that interesting But if Ryan keeps going at it he is just making it worst.If you think he is homophobic Why waste your breathe or time on giving him more publicity.Dont support them or nothign and let it be that .Just let it go….

20. Legible Lad 30 Jan 2011, 5:25pm

Ryan Murphy used to seem cool, now he seems like self-elevated bitch who expects to get what he wants. Why be puny and insulting, rich gay man?

Followill seems like a straight guy whose feminine put-downs don’t reek of homophobia as much as immaturity.

I am more ashamed of Murphy, because he has been reactionary instead of dignified or gracious.

21. If Kings of Leon are “assholes” and “homophobic,” I guess it is fair to label Ryan Murphy as a “shrill bitch fag” and “spoiled creep with a bad mouth.”

I like GLEE, but it is becoming less fun, fast.

22. Shaun Dowse 31 Jan 2011, 12:49pm

Nothing homophobic about Nathan’s comments whatsoever. He responded to a personal attack on his band by issuing an equally personal attack on Ryan Murphy. He wasn’t attacking anybody’s sexuality at all, just mocking Ryan Murphy’s flouncy behaviour and childish attitude. Call anybody an asshole and you’re lucky to walk away from it without a black eye and a broken nose.

People who flouce around like fairies and whine all the time like spoiled kids irritate me. You don’t need to behave that way and blame it on sexuality. If anything’s offensive about this story, it’s Ryan Murphy crying wolf and being libellous.

23. They both seem to have acted childishly. Ryan Murphy publicly apologised for his mistake…

24. That character Kurt is the most homophobic cliched thing I’ve seen in a long time. If a straight man wrote that part hed be strung up

25. Lady Donna Vagina 2 Feb 2011, 1:42am

Calling someone else homophobic is the new black, just like in middle school when everyone who don’t agree with you is an idiot.

Not every gay teen who don’t watch Glee or the millions It Gets Better videos will kill themselves, so quit being a torchbearer when your show is a stereotypical crap. Will there be a transgender kid in the show? I doubt it, seeing how transphobic the Hollywood gay communities are (see, I can play the “phobic” card too).

26. Rock and roller here, A lot of drummers are straight and go out of their way to prove it. then again you have other band members who are gay. Some still hide it becasue, well you know. If all the gay people came out it would shock a lot of people. Too bad they don’t and save some lives.