Jonathan Ross reveals his daughter is a lesbian

1. See now he’ll understand that 4 Dyke’s and a piano is Discrimination.

2. I hope so, that 4 poofs thing makes me cringe and definitely puts me off watching anything he is involved with. It has to be one of the words to describe gay people that I hate the most especially when used by straight people to denigrate gay folk.

3. No, I think he will see what a bunch of miserable old faggots there are on here.

There are plenty of LGBT people and their friends and families that see things in the right perspective and don’t witter on incessantly about being constantly persecuted because somebody used the word “poof” on TV.

Get a fvcking grip you people!

4. He has no right to publicly reveal her sexuality in this way. Her sexuality should not be thrust into the public spotlight just because her dad is famous.

I hope he sought her permission and not just assumed that if she talks about it on twitter he can reveal it.

I hope PinkNews made sure she has given permission for this to be publicly revelled.

5. 4 poofs and a piano is the name of their group. They tour and perform all over the country under that name. If they as 4 gay men, and more importantly ADULTS with their own minds, decide that’s what they call themselves, who is anyone to say that is offensive? Much less blame Jonathan Ross for it!

Frankly I admire his restraint when he was under fire for his joke about gay children not to bring up his daughters sexuality then. He could have ‘outed her’ as a way to save his own skin, but he didn’t out of respect for his daughter’s privacy. Hats off to him I say.

6. “No, I think he will see what a bunch of miserable old faggots there are on here.”

Faggot an old English term for a bundle of sticks.

or

Northern English pork based meatball made mostly from offal.

what interpretation of word are we Spanner?

7. Spanner,

I said I disliked the word not that I was being constantly persecuted. What they choose to call themselves is up to them, doesn’t change the fact that I dislike the word.

Did I ask for it or them to be banned, did I say I wanted them to change their name, no I simply expressed an opinion. Obviously a bully like spanner cannot see that someone else might be allowed to have an opinion different from him. I don’t really care.

8. Calling yourself Poof like the Piano People is like black man saying himself Nig*er. It show no self respect. Only to fit in.

9. Spanner is as his name implies – an unpleasant, bullying person. I’ll bet he was the type of child who would have physically and mentally assaulted his classmates if they were perceived to be gay. You can tell by his reflexive nastiness.

As for Jonathan Ross – well if his daughter is openly gay on Twitter then she is already out, so he hasn’t outed her.

as for 4 Poofs and a Piano – well that gay minstrel band is a pathetic self-hating joke who should never again appear on telly.

10. What a lot of moaners on this thread. The daughter is obviously happy for her sexuality to be open- why would anyone assume that she’s be ashamed of it and want to hide it? And whoever has a bee in their bonnet about Four Poofs and a Piano should get a grip- it is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek and it is not being used in a homophobic way.

Ross is actually sending out a positive message to other parents of gay people that they should be supportive of their children, so good for him!

11. dave wainwright 18 Jan 2011, 6:15pm

Oh thats great news , Jonathan who?

12. David

“Spanner is as his name implies – an unpleasant, bullying person. I’ll bet he was the type of child who would have physically and mentally assaulted his classmates if they were perceived to be gay. You can tell by his reflexive nastiness.”

Ever heard of the word speculation? And, more to the point, do you think it’s constructive? Is your life so pitiful that you sit and imagine how people actually are when they’re not on here? Ok, well, I’ll join you for a moment. You don’t mind if I project my vision of you onto this page do you? Good.

I’m probably right, but as if I even care – this is a forum and I have no way of knowing what you actually are.

13. mmmmmmmm say “Moral of the story: don’t speculate about people, it wastes time and makes you look like a prat.”

why you say “From your scribblings, I would derive that you were a bit of a weed at school, you know, the type who cried a lot when someone stole his pencil. Quite wimpy and insecure, firing spiteful barbs at people to make himself feel better. Likes to play the victim card a lot.”?

14. David “as for 4 Poofs and a Piano – well that gay minstrel band is a
    pathetic self-hating joke who should never again appear on telly.”

Yes I agree.

15. Poor kid.

I wonder if Jonathan Ross will trot her out in his defense every time he makes a homophobic joke.

I bet Jeremy Clarkson is wishing he had one too.

16. For “Self-hating” read “homosexuals that don’t fit into my politico-social agenda”

ie: If you are straight and criticise gays, you are homophobic, if you are gay and criticise gays, you are “self-hating”.

These lefties have a guilt-trip concept up their sleeve for everyone.

17. Mmmmmmmm says:

LOL – the pot, the kettle, the blackness.

By the way it is not ‘speculation’ that Spanner is an unpleasant bully.

It is a fact. How can it be ‘speculation’ when he turns up like an odour to insult people.

Notice how Spanner and Mmmmmmm did not actually comment on the story in question. They merely used the story as an excuse to insult the other posters.

Again this is not speculation. It is a statement of fact.

What’s the definition of cyber-bullying does anyone know?

18. “These lefties have a guilt-trip concept up their sleeve for everyone”

Again just to point out – you have not actually commented on the story in question.

You’ve merely insulted the other posters.

Do you think schoolyard bullies are better or worse than cyberbullies?

19. Perhaps some of these mobile phone operators are correct to prevent access to Pink News if it is a haven for cyberbullies like Spanner and Mmmmmm.

This is a story about the teenaged daughter of a TV star who is a lesbian.

I imagine that as a result quite a few teenagers will see this story and read the comments,

With people like Spanner calling people ‘faggot’ and Mmmmmm behaving like the unloved best friend of the schoolyard bully to defend Spanner’s bullying behaviour, then I can see that this site is not an appropriate place for young people.

Cyberbullying is the new, anonymous form of bullying. A responsible website would address it and give needlessly aggressive, posters like Spanner a warning to tell him that his behaviour is unacceptable, and that if it continues then he (and the IP address of his computer) will be barred.

20. Spanner and mmmmmm

What can we say!!!

O dear . . . just ignore the trolls

21. So will it be . . .

Four dykes and????

Can anyone help out with an appropriate alliteration?

22. I will say it publicly, I think spanner and mmmmmm are one troll just different sock puppets he uses.

You often see spanner and mmmmm supporting each others arguments when what’s said is unsupportable.

23. …. didgeridoo

24. dave wainwright 18 Jan 2011, 8:59pm

Like father like daughter I guess :)

25. I’m no fan of Jonathan Ross (can’t stand him to be honest), but his handling of this situation has made him go up in my estimation; the matter-of-fact way he deals with his eldest daughter’s sexuality is refreshing, and it is even more refreshing to realise that he did not wheel her out when he was under fire for homophobic jokes.
    So, I still can’t stand him as an entertainer, but as a human I have a little more respect for him.

26. I really don’t understand why Spanner spends so much time on the PinkNews comment boards if he hates it so much.

27. @DavidG . . . you are star

28. .@DaveG . . . you are a star!!!

29. Iranian embassy is calling for a siege for stoning gay people and we moan about some stupid words. Put your actions where your mouth is brothers and sisters.

30. It would be nice if Jonathan Ross were to now make use of his influence on Twitter etc to garner support for the two men sentenced to death in Iran. A few tweets in support could make a significant contribution.

31. Steve@GayWebHosting 19 Jan 2011, 12:47am

Good for you Rossy!

I always liked you, managed to ´get´ your sense of humour (which for a large part is putting yourself down)… and I do not jump on the bandwagon of calling someone homophobic who clearly isnt..

I also hate the term ´homophobic´ being used lightly (and wrongly). It does tend to dilute its meaning and importance when we are dealing with REAL homophobia…. Which unfortunately, the world is full of.

32. JohnK wrote:
    “So will it be . . .
    Four dykes and????
    Can anyone help out with an appropriate alliteration?”

I suggest perhaps you shouldn’t ask Claire Balding or A A Gill anyway.

33. I believe computer alias Dr very smart 19 Jan 2011, 2:11am

“Faggots with onion gravy.
    Place two to three faggots onto a plate. Top with a spoonful of the onions and pour over the gravy. Serve the faggots with mashed potatoes and green vegetables.”

34. If I were a lesbian, I would definitely want to be called “Betty Kitten”. Sigh, sigh, sigh.

35. Helen: Have you ever considered a plausible explanation might be that there is actually more than one person on here that doesn’t follow you and you Guardian-reading, politically-correct leftie mate’s socialist “gay party line”?

36. Spanner:

For the 3rd time I’d like to point out that you have not once actually addressed the story being discussed.

You have merely insulted the other people posting?

What is your problem. If you hate gay people then do not come on to this site.

But seriously – you need to stop with this incessantly nasty aggression and cyber-bullying.

Bullies are scum.

37. Louie Mince 19 Jan 2011, 11:36am

Wow Spanner, you are a total c**t these days aren’t you? Still single and lonely then?

38. I’d like to see Jonathan Ross do more to help fight homophobia. So far he’s done less than nothing, in spite of being asked.

For instance he didn’t help with David Watkins’ A Day in Hand campaign. And he promised to do a message for World AIDS Day in 2009, but he broke that promise too. He’s never specifically spoken out against homophobia on his TV show.

Anyway he could show that he’s changed. Now is an apposite moment to speak out against the terrible death sentences in Iran.

39. I haven’t bothered talking about Ross simply because it’s all been said on these boards many times before.
    In the past, I was one of the few that defended him whilst the rest of the crowd on here foamed at the mouth and accused him of rampant homophobia for employing a bunch of gay men with a silly name.

Now that it transpires he actually fathered a lesbian, it seems everybody is now desperately back-pedalling but now saying he doesn’t do enough for LGBT causes.

Sometime you just can’t win with you people.

Louie et al:
    I am quite happy living with my husband thank you.

40. Guys, just ignore it. We all know there are some knobs on this site. You get them everywhere – this place is no different, just small people trying to shout a lot to get heard above the rest.

As for Jonathon Ross. I may not be a fan of him but I think it is important to understand that he clearly is a loving and caring father.

Good luck to him.

41. Not having a sexual partner a relationship has nothing to do with loneliness. What you are saying is called mirroring is when you attack others with what bothers you most your loneliness.

You are confusing a sexual partner with your friends or the lack of friends. I’ve lived with the same person for years and after awhile you don’t even bother talking to each other most of the time and silly things can turn you into enemies. A relationship a long-term relationship is often a constant struggle of making allowances and forgiving all those tiny little irritating things. Leave in the fridge door open not flushing the toilet taking up your bed space..

In a relationship everything you do must involve the other half. Give me a cat or dog any time? mmmm

Louie Mince

42. Louie:
    Oh, another fvcking bar-room pyschologist. Everyone’s a shrink these days. Why don’t you take your pseudo-intellectual ramblings and stick them where the sun doesn’t shine?

Myself and my partner are inordinately happy, we have known each other for about ten years and been married for five and have never had a bad word to say about each other.

That said, neither of us could be called ‘typically gay’ in the sense of being socialists or following the gay scene. We just happen to be two men that love each other.

Or is that too massive a concept for your pulchritudinous little mind to grasp?

1. What /are/ you on about? Most gat men “jujt happen to be men that fall in love with men” and most gay men wouldn’t be described as “typically gay” either. I don’t get why people use this as an argument.

You sound like one of those guys who pride’s themselves on being “straight acting” and does everything they can to be seen as “one of the lads” – the self-loathing shines through.

43. Cleggy, exactly! So, now, at last, he will understand how hurtful “Four Dykes and a Piano” would be, and how hurtful and discriminatory and encouraging of homophobia “Four Poof and Piano” has been. He had an ethical duty NOT to employ a group of gay men so desperate for the spotlight at any cost and he chose not only to ignore it but to exploit it.

He’s just another desperate dumbed-down attention-seeker. I deliberately never watch or listen to him.

44. “never had a bad word to say about each other.”

“neither of us could be called ‘typically gay.”

“is that too massive a concept for your pulchritudinous little mind to grasp.”

Put it back together again. Do you feel very sad? What are you going to do about it?

You have a choice.

Louie

45. Sorry, hopelessly off-topic, but Spanner, why do I get the impression you don’t know that pulchritudinous means beautiful?!

46. The Lizzie 12 19 Jan 2011, 1:46pm

“Certainly, their sexuality is a), none of my business and b), certainly none of my concern.”

I hate it when liberal-thinking people say things like that. It usually means that they “tolerate” a person’s sexuality but do not want to “engage” with it. If my son or daughter ‘came out’ I would say something like a) it is my business because I love my child and I want to understand them and be supportive b) it concerns me because I am the parent and I want what is best for my child

47. Spanner – and why do you feel it is appropriate to come on here repeatedly and engage in personally abusive and bullying behaviour towards other posters?

If you refuse to actually discuss the topics at hand then do you accept that you are simply being a bullying c*** for the sake of it?

If you hate gay people that’s your business. But please f*** off and take your needless aggression elsewhere.

it is very easy to be a cyberbully. But it is incomprehensible why a supposedly sensible adult would want to engage in it.

Pink News – do you not have a policy on cyberbullying?

As I mentioned earlier, this is the type of story that gay teenagers will be reading.

Reading the needlessly aggressive, irrelevant, bullying rants of posters such as Spanner, makes this website complicit in his cyberbullying.

48. I hate it when liberal-thinking people say things like that.

Or you could see it this way: that (a) they are individuals and grown-up and it’s not up to me to interfere, and (b) I have no reason to be concerned just because they’re of a minority sexuality.

All a matter of viewpoint …

49. David – I’m a gay teenager and if anything I agree with Spanner. At any rate, referring to oneself using an offensive term does not necessarily mean that one is self-loathing – I do this all the time and I have if anything excessive self-esteem.

50. Louie Mince 19 Jan 2011, 3:03pm

Some tool-I’m assuming its Spanner the spaz- is posting a number of comments under my name. Spazzer I suggest you leave off the multiple postings- neither your popper addled mind nor your computer will be able to remember one lie from the next.

51. Top 8 Anti-Aging Secrets of The 41-Year-Old Teenager Part 1

52. David:
    I assume when you mean “bully”, you mean ‘somebody with opposing views to your own’ – I am not bullying anyone, but I sure as hell give as good as I get.

Rehan. I am well aware of what I said. Have you not heard of the film “A beautiful mind”? I was implying he has a great brain, but has no idea how to use it.

Louie: I never use nom de Plumes, and certainly not other people’s. I only use the one name on here, which is the one I am using now. If I have anything to say, I say it to people’s faces, not hide behind other’s.

Chris T: “So, now, at last, he will understand how hurtful “Four Dykes and a Piano” would be”
    Why would he. I am not hurt or offended by it, and neither is Oscar or many others. If you are offended by it, tough. I am offended by you being offended. What can I do about it? Nothing. Now go look at a a couple of Iranians about to be stoned to death for their sexuality and then get a bit of fvcking perspective!

53. On the subject of perspective can anyone recommend a good and RELIABLE home testing kit for the clap, stds etc? Something which can be used pretty directly and time effectively?

54. ” I was implying he has a great brain, but has no idea how to use it.”

Oh I see, thanks for clearing that up – it seemed odd in the context.

(BTW, I’d always assumed ‘Spanner’ is a nom-de-plume! Is it really your given name?)

55. A spanner is one of many objects my husband puts in my anus for sexual stimulation- its not my favourite item though but “Fist” would be a silly name to use on here.

56. Thank you admin much appreciated.

I have finished

57. vulpus_rex 19 Jan 2011, 4:26pm

Ian Bower – if it’s stinging, itching or taking on the colour scheme of a Turner sunrise then it’s time to get yourself to a clinic.

58. Spanner clone:
    Oh hardy-har.
    Sure any puerile little twat can do it, ain’t you clever little prick?

And Spanner is not a nom de plume, but an alias, as in “Spanner in the works.”

59. (Btw, the second comment up there under the name of Oscar was a different Oscar. I’m not entirely sure of the point of this was. Maybe I sound like a 41-year-old. Who knows.)

60. vulpus_rex:
    I have to say, I had never considering comparing a venereal disease with “The Fighting Temeraire”

61. Phoenix0879 19 Jan 2011, 5:32pm

All this over a simple interview. Jonathan didn’t “out” his daughter, gaydar radio asked him a direct question and he answered honestly. Had he said “well, I wouldn’t know” or “It’s never come up” or “I like to think I would be understanding” (the usual ‘answer without answering’ responses to such question) and then someone came upon her twitter feed, he would be under fire for that. The guy simply can’t win, he’s the current target of choice for people who want someone to criticize.

He didn’t trot this out to save his skin, someone asked him a straightforward question (probably based on the perception of him as homophobic based on a single joke) and got an answer they didn’t expect. Bravo to him for answering honestly.

He’s one of the funnier people on TV (and leagues ahead of the current ‘mister popular’ Alan Carr, who is as fake as an Essex girls tan) and people should just get over his jokes already. Sure, some have been in bad taste, but that’s all – there’s never been anything truly malicious in his work, unlike say Roy ‘Chubby’ Brown who is not only homophobic but racist and sexist too. Now there is someone worthy of having his hate discussed.

62. Jonathan Ross is like a bad dad who makes many anti gay jokes like giving up gay children for adoption but when he find out his own daughter is gay he refuse to stop making jokes but say “its ok my daughter is gay” like “some of my best friends are black”.

63. Jonathan Ross was obsessed with the sex lives of gay people, and when speaking to Jeremy Clarkson suggested that he found it pretty disgusting.

64. Phoenix0879 19 Jan 2011, 6:07pm

Like many people, he probably suffered a “doesn’t affect me” mentality in the past, but now it is part of his life, lets see how he behaves in the future.

And at the end of the day, he’s still less offensive than Alan Carr, who is the worst thing to happen to gay men since chemical castration. Given me a dozen Ross’s over one Carr any day.

65. “Helen: Have you ever considered a plausible explanation might be that there is actually more than one person on here that doesn’t follow you and you Guardian-reading, politically-correct leftie mate’s socialist “gay party line”?

You hate the concept of stereotyping gay people, yet somehow you expect us all to have the same right-on, socialist way of thinking. Think again.”

Ummm not at all – I just find it strange that you appear to hate these boards so much yet you spend so much time commenting on them. Must be a depressing way to live, divulging in things you hate. Although I have a sneaking suspicion you actually get a great kick out of winding everyone up on here, and the more people you annoy, the happier you are. So if that makes you happy, then carry right on.

66. xoxTazzixox 19 Jan 2011, 9:49pm

I hate how some people are automatically assuming that because his daughter is a lesbian he shud suddenly be fronting gay rights campaigns, i mean yeah it would be a nice thing to do what with him being so recognisable but maybe he just has other things to do? i cant speak for everyone else’s parents but although mine are supportive they arent out marching in every pride parade and and every march4marriage or similar cause, so should he be expected to suddenly become super involved? i mean he’s still the same as everyone else’s parents, it seems some people are just looking for a reason to dislike him

67. I have no idea why spanner isnt banned from this site

68. Phoenix- you think Alan Carr is the worst thing to happen to gay men? I beg to differ- Louie Spence is just about the most despicable thing to crawl out of a hole and appear in the public eye. Since when does mincing and lisping constitute a career let alone an identity. He’s a carbon copy of what tv executives want to portray as a stereotypical gay man. Heaven forbid we should be represented by a regular guy and I’m going to also use the word ‘normal’ cause there sure as hell is nothing ‘normal’ about an individual like Louie Spence. He’s a walking advert for abortion.

69. Spanner, you say of Louis Spence “He’s a walking advert for abortion.”

That is an unspeakably callous thing to say of anyone. Even of Hitler Adolf it would be an offensively cheap gibe.

Is this a phrase that you were taught at your mother’s knee? Is that why you said it?

70. Phoenix0879 20 Jan 2011, 8:30pm

Spanner – you think Alan Carr is anything other than a TV suits perspective of what a gay man is? The fake lisp? The fake campness? The mincing? He should just be barred from TV – every negative stereotype about gay men, Alan Carr could be the picture to represent it. Everything about Carr screams “ACT!”, it’s all done because that’s what execs think gay men on TV should be.

Now, look at Graham Norton who, yes, is camp. But no lisp. Less mincing. Norton comes across as natural. Sadly, the suits looked at him I think and said “we want more of this!”. And Carr is the result. What a waste of a TV show whenever he is on.