Gay and adopted Daily Mail columnist slams Sir Elton’s decision to have a baby

1. Who cares what these conservative British prigs have to say?

2. Nothing new there then . . .

3. What revolting and scurrilous comments. Is Pierce a mind-reader?I agree with his reservations about Elton John’s age, but a gay man ought to know better than to assume that the motives of a gay celebrity couple, or of anyone for that matter, for having a child must be frivolous and selfish. Pierce is a Quisling pandering to Daily Mail readers’ worst prejudices.

4. Who cares what these conservative British prigs have to say?
    what a stupid statement, are you refering to Elton or to the every person living in uk?

5. look at the absurd names he and Furnish have given the poor child, for heaven’s sake!

Could have been worse. They could have called him Andrew Pierce, for heaven’s sake!

6. To me it sounds like he is attacking Elton directly, not the concept of Gay adoption or surrogacy.
    I have no love for Elton either..

7. Christine Beckett 30 Dec 2010, 2:52pm

Rather bitchy…

But then that’s why he works for the Daily Mail….

8. Mihangel apYrs 30 Dec 2010, 2:55pm

I have no particular liking for John, and may have made some of these same comments to friends, BUT I do not publish my pontificating judgmentalism for the titillation of the curtain-twitchers the Daily Hate services.

Pierce has sold out to become their token gay with the acid tongue. If he couldn’t write something positive or pleasaant he should have chosen a different topic.

9. Andrew Pierce is a uncle tom

10. Keith Lynwood 30 Dec 2010, 3:18pm

You just need to do a little research on this Pierce to discover he is a religious catholic freak who fully supports the pope and his doctrines. You have to feel pity for him

11. I agree with him.

Elton John is too old to be a parent.

He is also a recovering drug addict

What Pierce says is nothing like what Stephen Green says.

Green is appalled at the idea of gay men becoming parents.

Pierce is merely appalled that recovering, drug addict pensoners decide to become parents.

12. The self loathing poison that comes out of that man’s mouth is enough to make you vomit.

With all the bigotry and corruption in the world you’d think a so called journalist would find something more worth while to report on – But no – he’s just the Daily Mails fag whipping boi – You are their token self loathing gay, Ms Pierce – For Shame!

13. Harry Small 30 Dec 2010, 3:56pm

“Uncle Tom” is the best way to describe Pierce: another product of papist brainwashing.

14. “grotesque act of selfishness ”

There is a hell of a lot of people that this could include that go onto being parents.

15. It is interesting to hear that this journalist is a papist, as is, interestingly enough, the director general of the BBC. There is also the possibility that the next chairman of the BBC Trust will be Lord Patten, another papist. Papists of the type represented by these men are bigoted and are good examples of the working of evil in the world. It is important that as much as possible be done to denigrate them. Part of their agenda is to allow religious dominance over gay rights. This must not be permitted in a secular society.

16. Patrick-0-001 30 Dec 2010, 4:19pm

Any attempted comparison to Stephen Green is absolutely stupid.

I completely agree with what Andrew Pierce has written. Any gay men rushing to defend Elton John should be ashamed and should consider the damage a story like this does to the legitimate right gay men should have to adopt.

Elton John is the worse possible role model the gay community could have. This baby is simply a designer accessory for him. It is shameful and damages the entire community when this stupid man is allowed to do this, using his money to get around societal norms.

The man is a selfish idiot – this is the same man, after all, who sells his soul for money, singing in front of gay marriage opponents for large sums of money.

17. I find it interesting that you’ve chosen to say that Mr. Pierce disapproves of the new addition to Sir Elton’s family “despite being both gay and adopted himself”.

From what I could understand from the quotes you have pulled from his article, he has no problem with gay couples adopting, so I don’t see how his sexuality or childhood is relevant to what he trying to say.

18. His mum should have aborted

19. I personally think that someone who has reached the age of 63 should accept and realise that parenthood is an experience that they have missed out on.

10 years ago Elton John said he was too old to be a parent.

I don’t think a 63 year old recovering drug addict is a suitable 1st time parent.

And I absolutely support many gay couples in their quest to be parents.

Can anyone picture Reg getting up at 4am to give the baby a bottle or to change his nappy? I certainly can’t

20. Effectively, Mr Pierse is arguing that Elton John’s baby is better off dead.

21. Please, I wonder if Mr Peirce says the same thing bout all nmh next door neighbours in their prime of youth who keep on having more then 5 kids on while on benefits…..are they GREAT parents?

Prick.

22. Typical mail reading tory gay – RETARDED

23. The one thing I agree with it that it is a shame, for the child, that he will never know his biological mother. This kind of “shopping” for children, whereby the mother is treated like a department store to be visited only for the purchase of the goods, cannot be humanly right. And I say this whether the adoptive parents are a gay or straight couple.

One day Zachariah will wish to know who his biological mother is, and there’ll be tantrums and tiaras before bedtime.

24. Andrew Pierce is a gay journalist of no integrity, a self-loathing inidividual who actually believes in supernatural nonsense, and a fool who thinks that he is accepted and respected by the readership of the Daily Bile.

25. Steve@GayWebHosting 30 Dec 2010, 5:06pm

“Please, I wonder if Mr Peirce says the same thing bout all nmh next door neighbours in their prime of youth who keep on having more then 5 kids on while on benefits…..are they GREAT parents?

Prick.”

Thanks. You summed-up my feelings exactly on this. I have absolutely no doubt that this baby will be one very lucky boy. Brought up with 2 loving and devoted parents and every possible advantage in life that he possibly could ever need.

My own father was considerably older when I was born also. He died when I was 16. Do I miss not having more years with him? Yes I do. Do I miss the fact that he didn´t have me when he was much younger? Yes I do. Would I have swapped him for the world? No I would not!

It seems to me that Elton has turned his life around and has finally found true love and stability. Although a little later in life, he would now like a family to make his life complete.

And why not?

Well done Elton and David. All the best for the baby and your future together..

26. I totally agree with David.
    I think Andrew Pierce has made some very valid and balanced comments.

Why is it whenever somebody states an opinion such as this, they are immediately branded as homophobic?
    Elton John is filthy rich, and what he wants, he gets. He is 63 years old, which may not be illegal to have a child, it is sure as hell immoral.

*Nobody* has a right to have children. The only individual that has rights in the whole sad affair is the child itself.
    If one cannot provide the care, attention, love, environment, money and dare I say, longevity, to nurture that child to adulthood, then they should not have children, either naturally, or by adoption, whatever sex or sexuality they happen to be.

Would you allow terminally ill person to adopt a child? The same thing applies. This man has bought himself a kid, to all intents and purposes, and I find that wrong in the extreme.

27. Mark Glassman 30 Dec 2010, 5:20pm

A nasty small minded bitchy bitter queen of an article hiding it’s homophobia under the ‘pink’ cloak of it’s token gay scribbler.
    Marky.

28. I don’t understand why this twit feels impelled to express his opinion on someone else’s personal decision. Basically, it’s none of his concern.

So Sir Elton John and his partner decided to have a baby. People do it all the time, and a fair number do it through surrogates. It’s their decision, and really no one else’s business.

(Yes, of course they made a public announcement — how could they not? Sir Elton’s a rather major celebrity — if he didn’t announce it, some tabloid would have.)

29. Pierce is a demented catholic self hating nutcase. Which is why he works for the daily mail.

30. Keith Lynwood 30 Dec 2010, 5:38pm

Have I beeen in Spain too long, what has Elton John done to deserve all these vile comments. For several people to refer to him as a recovering addict makes it sound as though they have read this in todays paper, it was 1975 for goodness sake.I still get British TV here you know. I have seen the Jeremy Kyle people. Elton and David will make fabulous parents and offer a loving, safe and happy environment to Zach. I wish them all the best

31. he says exactly the same things as Green, including that ‘in ideal circumstances a child should be brought up by a father and mother’- don’t know how some people can sleep at night!

32. Its time to shun the gay tories if you see one out or one is identified turn your back on them. Peirce and Iain Dale are 2 gay tory scumbags who will do their masters work and try to mess us up. Why dont the self loathers just do us a favour and go away

33. Frankly, it is NOBODY’S BUSINESS but Sir Elton John’s and David Furnish’s.
    I suppose it’s impossible to stop people having an opinion but I really couldn’t care what Andrew Pierce, or anyone else, thinks and wouldn’t the world be a calmer and happier place if more people kept their opinions to themselves!!!!

If it’s abnoxious for Stephen Green to express an opinion [and it IS] it’s equally obnoxious for Andrew Pierce to do so!!!

34. I don’t think a 63 year old with addiction issues is a suitable 1st time parent – irrespective of whether they are male or female, gay or straight.

Does that make me a homophobe?

35. “Frankly, it is NOBODY’S BUSINESS but Sir Elton John’s and David Furnish’s.”

And the child of course.

I hope this child doesn’t end up burying Reg before he reaches adulthood.

36. Helen in Ireland 30 Dec 2010, 6:09pm

Pierce has said in a newspaper precisely what a large number of commentators have said on a variety of international gay blogs – I know, because I have already read these comments. However, Elton’s name appears prominently whereas many people seem to have forgotten the presence of his partner in this decision and event.

David Furnish is much younger and may probably be the biological father. Yes, Elton is much older and is a recovering addict – but he has worked hard to overcome his addictions and has as much right as any man, straight or gay, to have the honour and delight of being a father, as does David. Any gay person who decides to become a parent, the deliberate effort and time put into the process of bringing a child into the world is most likely going to ensure that that child will feeled loved and truly wanted all his life. Surely that is better than some of the children born into some families that we all know… (without wishing to denigrate the many loving parents of any sexual orientation).

37. Satan: “Pierce is a demented catholic self hating nutcase. Which is why he works for the daily mail. @ spanner – Why bother writing anything. No one is interested in what you have to say. NO ONE.”

Well obviously you are, or you wouldnt have bothered to reply.
    Why is it that any gay man that doesn’t follow the ‘party line’ of you bunch of leftie, hush Puppy wearing Guardian readers, is automatically branded “Self-loathing”? I am perfectly happy with myself and my sexuality, it’s just w@nkers like you that purport to represent the entire (non-existent) “gay community” that fvck me right off.

38. Hmmm, now would Pierce have made such a statement if the celebrity had been straight and female? What is unorthodox then about a woman with children who has been widowed, never remarried and raised her children on her own, how would he respond to that I wonder? He’s a disgusting vile creature. What do you expect from Tory loving rags such as the Daily Mail? Yellow journalism of the worst kind and its not even journalism.

39. Hmmm and it’s abundantly clear that Mr Pierce knows both David Furnish and Elton John intimately to make these kind of comments. Oh wait, he only knows what the trash media prints about them….

40. Satan: “Pierce is a demented catholic self hating nutcase. Which is why he works for the daily mail. @ spanner – Why bother writing anything. No one is interested in what you have to say. NO ONE.”

Well obviously you are, or you wouldn’t have bothered to reply.
    Why is it that any gay man that doesn’t follow the ‘party line’ of you bunch of leftie, hush Puppy wearing Guardian readers, is automatically branded “Self-loathing”? I am perfectly happy with myself and my sexuality, it’s just w*nkers like you that purport to represent the entire (non-existent) “gay community” that fvck me right off.

Oh, and for it being only Elton’s business, it is not, it is the poor little sod that’s going to end up with a father that looks more like most people’s Grandad.

41. bicoastal yank 30 Dec 2010, 6:27pm

42. Dear Spanner, hell is not sure because it does not exist . Mr Pierce does not make valid or balanced comments because he is a Roman Catholic, the Vatican thinks for him and he reflects that organisations position on ‘morals’ and all other matters regarding homosexuality.

I am with Groucho Marx on this point, I don’t want to be in a club that hates me. Gay and Catholic? Chameleon dancing on plaid comes to mind. Not sure what colour to be next.

Your write ‘nobody has a right to have a child’, there are considerable numbers of people who would disagree with you. Moreover, many think it entirely acceptable that everyone else should be paying them for that ‘right’.

I think someone like Dr Steptoe and many others in that line of business would give you an alternative perspective on ‘rights’ of people to have children at any cost or method of insemination.

You further write that. ‘ If one cannot provide the care, attention, love, environment, money and dare I say, longevity, to nurture that child to adulthood, then they should not have children, either naturally, or by adoption, whatever sex or sexuality they happen to be’. I will look forward to you attempting to persuade the large numbers of people who have children and who provablly are incapable of acting as responsible parents to form an orderly queue for sterilisation. In fact I would like to be there when you try that one out.

Sir Elton and Mr Furnish are wealthy of that there is no argument. They have made a decision to have a child, they are entitled to have privacy and a family life free of bigots and deluded religionists ranting about what is a private matter. I wish them and their child good luck as I would any new parents regardless of the circumstances surrounding the birth of the child.

43. “Yes, Elton is much older and is a recovering addict – but he has worked hard to overcome his addictions and has as much RIGHT as any man, straight or gay, to have the honour and delight of being a father, as does David.”

NOBODY has the ‘right’ to be a parent. Being a parent is not a right – it is a choice which involves massive responsibility.

I loathe the arguement that people have some fundamental right to spawn. They do not.

In my opinion if you choose to have children, then you are selfish in the extreme to wait until you are 63 to do so.

Then again Elton John seems to believe normal standards of decency do not apply to him – whether by playing a series gigs in apartheid era South Africa or profitting from homophobia by whoring himself out as the wedding singer for a bigot

44. What a self important little twerp.

45. It’s the Daily Mail. This is their MO. Can’t we just pretend they don’t exist.

46. As an American I have always thought that the BBC was progressive and liberal and that tone of progressiveness (in gay matters) ran through British society. I have been a visitor to this site for many years (and have visited England over 8 times on holiday) and now I hear about all this discussion as to the “backward” policies towards gays in the media and within the British government… what am I too believe of my favorite country? … someone, please.
    —————————–

The BBC is, by definition, obliged to remain politically and otherwise neutral. The fact the director General is Catholic should not affect the views espoused by the BBC, and they do he is failing to properly do his job and should be sacked.
    It is more common to hear complaints from the right wing press that it has a left wing bias.

47. David North 30 Dec 2010, 7:57pm

“I don’t think a 63 year old with addiction issues is a suitable 1st time parent”

I would rather have a 63 year old talented homosexual EX addict multi millionaire as a parent than a benefit grubbing feckless Sun reading X-Factor consuming couple.

48. No surprise there. A token uncle Tom. I suppose he ticks a box for the mail though.

49. So . . . “Super-rich” – Hetersexual Celebrties . . . do not try to adopt children, either by the force of their propensity to spend; or the influence of their fame?

50. It is nobody’s business , let Elton be happy.Who are we to judge?
    The child is healthy and already loved.
    Elton made mistakes in his life but we all did that, right?
    My hearts go to Pierce who is bitter and unkind.

51. Being Adopted and gay myself, i dont see what all the palava is about and being honest, i think it would have been better for Elton John and partner to adopt a child.
    Though given his recent choice of lifetsyle involving drugs and his age i would have been cautious about allowing the adoption to go ahead, though in the long term, adoption would have been a better rather than having a surrogate baby, basically a designer baby for John and his partner.
    Adoptive parents give wonderfull joy and happiness to the child they have chosen to adopt and are given just as much love and care as a natural birth, though adoptees, may be given a bit more special tlc from the parents who have adopted them.

52. I think I agree with Andrew here. This is no more than the sort of criticism people made of Madonna or Angelina Jolie. I think we’re right to be skeptical of celebrity adoptions or surrogacies. Pierce clearly says that he has nothing at all against gay couples adopting, I don’t know why so many here get defensive of Sir Elton here, just because he’s a high profile gay man.

53. “EX addict ”

There’s no such thing. Once an addict, always an addict. He’s a recovering addict, but he’ll always be an addict.

Or is addiction NOT actually a disease as we’ve all been taught?

54. “This is no more than the sort of criticism people made of Madonna or Angelina Jolie.”

I was very dubious about their habit of buying babies.

That said at least they were more age appropriate and not battling addiction.

55. Hardly homophobic in the sense Stephen Greens interview was. This is the kind of thing that concerns me, jumping on every bad thing said against homosexuals is not going to help forward and improve rights for the LGBT community.

He quotes many reasons Elton maybe should not have a child, none of which are his sexuality. I too question whether someone at 63 should take on bringing up a child, be they gay or straight.

Lets get some perspective and not jump on every single negative comment made towards the LBGT community, not everything we do is right, and all this does is undermine the fight against real homophobia.

56. Phoenix0879 30 Dec 2010, 11:25pm

The amount of criticism on here DISGUSTS me. The man who wrote this article works for the Daily Mail. one of the most homophobic rags around.

There are far worse people to be parents than Elton and Furnish. Okay, so Elton is a recovering addict – from over 30 YEARS ago. Yes, you never fully recover and always battle it, but to be clear for 30 years says a lot of good things. There are kids becoming parents today whilst ON drugs, out of work with no income and happily beating the snot out of each other.

So really, who are the more ideal parents? Elton and David or some chav scum couple? They are a loving couple and, sure, the age issue is a minor concern, but less so than that the child should grow up loved and in a stable home.

57. I have to laugh when I read some of these comments. One would have thought someone has turned the clock back 450 years to the height of the Protestant Reformation with all the anti-catholic vitriole on this site. England liberal and progressive? Laughing my arse off at that one. Lets not forget how much damage the English have done over the centuries to so many peoples around the world. So do you think you really have the right to criticise others? You hitched your star to the European bandwagon and you have fallen flat on your faces. You should thank God for the Germans – they are the only ones keeping the whole EU fiasco afloat.Your Empire is long gone and the Commonwealth is irrelevant. Your country is on its knees and you don’t even realise. Just draw the curtains, close up shop and put a large sign on the door that says RIP.

58. 21stCenturySpirituality 31 Dec 2010, 12:59am

@ James…thats a disgusting and cruel thing to say even if you do disagree with his opinion on this matter.

59. I have written many times in regards to this issue. It appals me that the rights of the child is once again neglected by the selfish need of queers. Elton is no different. Governments must not allow gays to have children, except if they want to adopt, then, that is a different matter, as there are millions of children orphaned around the world who desperately need love and care.

The gay community have a lot to answer for their selfishness and exclusive rights to everything.

60. It must be hard for Andrew Pierce, having to carry his closet into work everyday!

61. I find it rather odd that 63 is regarded as too old to father a child. Apparently, in this society, a man is too young at 30 and too old at 40. I find this society ridiculously proscriptive, most probably because the experiences of its most vociferous members are far too narrow. When they are able to comment upon such things with the benefit of knowledge covering their previous 10 to 20 generations, they can expect me to listen. I, commenting with such knowledge, can assuredly say that men starting their legitimate families after the age of 50 have certainly been successful in raising their offspring. (One comment even referred to having a child at the age of 63 as immoral – such narrowness is, to me, almost unimaginable.)

The author might find the “nagging suspicion that Elton … has simply acquired a son to satisfy his latest fixation… repellent.”

I might find the “nagging suspicion that the author is a pontificator with an inadequate sense of history” repellent.

As for the child’s name – it seems no more odd than many another one encounters every day – I once knew a woman rejoicing in the name of Meta Hoare!

62. so according to this idiot you can now control when the baby comes?? he’s scrambling for stuff to attack fellow LBG folk with to please his homophobic paymasters whilst he betrays his fellows, I bet if a pair of heteros equal age to Elton and David did the same then there would be none of the same condemnation and hate

63. @spanner – no-one’s referring to you yet you identify with self-hating!
    @radical53 – governments can’t stop same-sex couples having kids and I take it you wouldn’t condemn heteros, it’s not a selfish idea either

64. Rod Stewart was a dad at 66! no big deal…so many children loose their parents at young age or never meet them or are abandoned etc etc

I have to say that I’d prefer gay couples to adopt rather than going through this surrogacy thing and other less orthodox methods…but hey! at his age would almost be impossible to adopt and he would be accused of “buying a baby” and/or being above the laws if he did. so good luck to both Elton and David and the baby

65. What self respecting gay man can work for the daily mail, that alone says where he would stand on this.

66. “The way he talked, the way he walked and the way he acted. It was all very strange. He was very flamboyant.”

The above is from today’s revolting Daily Mail, with regard to Chris Jefferies, suspect in the Joanna Yeates killing.

The above is so fascist. It explains why all Daily Mail readers are such dull and colourless people. They’re all terrified of being original.

67. I am dissapointed that this article chose not to quote some of the more telling parts of Pierces column. So I’ll do it:

“But those rules — honed over ­thousands of years — do matter.

And Rule Number One is that, by and large, a child needs a loving mother and father.

Rule Number Two is that a child needs to know where he or she comes from and what their genetic identity is. Two stories in the Mail this week highlight these truths.

There was a survey published ­yesterday from the Prince’s Trust, which concluded that young men with no male role models in their lives, and women without a mother figure, are hugely disadvantaged in life.

Then there was the poignant story of Pat Fitzgerald who, wrapped in blankets with a dummy in her mouth, was abandoned on the steps of a Cardiff hotel when she was only five weeks old.”

His quoting of the Princes Trust story is a shamless abuse of the facts, as the survey looked at role models, not parentage (indeed, Pierce switches between these two terms as he refers to it, as if they are interchangeable).

The second story refers to something which happened in 1939. Comparing a pre war child abandonment case to present day egg donation tells us nothing.

“As an adopted gay man, I have no interest in having children of my own — although I don’t ­denigrate those who want to.”

Well that’s ok then, we’ll just ignore that thing you said about there being “rules”, the part later where you describe a child who’s not even a week old yet as “troubled”, and just for the heck of it, made fun of his name (when exactly DID Zachary become “absurd”?).

68. de Villiers 31 Dec 2010, 3:48pm

This hatred about Catholism borders on the fanatical and the fascist. Describing people as “papists” given the historical context of that term is blind intolerance.

Such hatred must necessarily be directed against nearly all the countries of the European Union, nearly all of which are Catholic.

I can see that for gay people in England, Catholics are to be excluded from the “community” and that which they say is automatically to be rubbished.

69. @Phoenix0879 “So really, who are the more ideal parents? Elton and David or some chav scum couple?”

That’s a nasty little classist dig, what a repellent person you are.

70. With so much bitterness and vitriol, Pierce and Elton could be soul mates.

71. Andrew Pierce is on LBC every sunday listen to it I can take about 2 mins of his bitterness they guy has serious issues I almost feel sorry for him

72. The incumbent political parties are preparing the grounds for a new homophobic wave in our culture, and those who are denying and sometimes defending them are willfully and/or foolishly participating in this task. Many here alerted about what would happen if the Tories got into power. Their predictions are steadily becoming reality.
    Gay tories —> Duhhhh

73. Beberts there seems to be more homophobia not than in 1997 before labour. Tories punish violent criminals while labour tries to rehabilitate them. Criminals have no fear under labour so I think we’ll be safer from violence under the tories but we may have some other issues. If youre gay and live in a rough part of towm I’m afraid to say tories will be better for your safety. Criminals fear tories and laugh at liberals

74. James, the Tories can’t even recognise homophobic incidents, let alone punish the perpetrators… obviously, since they themselves are homophobic. They are only looking after themselves, as always … that’s why they are now unloading their own debts onto the poorest and most vulnerable of our society.

75. Andrew Pierce, through his vile words, reveals himself as a nasty bitter little man. One of those judgemental spiteful queens in our community who build their sad pathetic lives up by putting their fellow gay and lesbians down.

Do we hear the same high pitched screeches about Sir Rod Stewart having another child this year, at the age of 65 ? Or of Des O’Connor, who had his fifth child at age 73?

There is great diversity in families and what is most important in bringing a child into the world is that he or she will be properly cared for and loved. Many gay men have the same desire to nurture life, and are quite as capable of doing that as heterosexuals.

Elton and David previously tried to give a home to an orphan but were not allowed. Faced with that rejection, who can criticise them now for finding another legitimate way to share their love, commitment and wealth to another human being.

This is clear homophobic banter and sad to see Pierce, a gay man, whore himself like this to the Daily Mail simply to selfishly ensure a good monthly pay check.

76. Sophie, Surrey 3 Jan 2011, 3:18pm

I wish people wouldn’t keep saying an reovering addict shouldn’t have children. Elton John has been clean and sober for 20 years now. That’s long enough for us all to be confident he’s highly unlikely to relapse now. The statistics are very positive.

If having a drink or drug problem disqualified people from becoming parents we’d lose a good 10 per cent of the population. How many of us were conceived after a few too many on a Saturday night?

I write as the daughter of a sober alcoholic and as one myself, as well as being the mother of teenagers. I stopped drinking in 1989, and have never looked back.

His addictions are likely to make Elton John a better parent. Being a recovered addict inevitably teaches us wisdom and patience. I’m sure I’m a better parent for my experience and the strength it needed to reach and sustain sobriety.

77. ‘Andrew Pierce, the consultant editor of the Daily Mai’- All his opinions are invalid within the gay community.

78. de Villiers 4 Jan 2011, 10:37am

> All his opinions are invalid within the gay community.

Who determines what are valid opinions for the “gay community”.

And who determines who is part of this “community”.

It all sounds a bit sinister to have to have “valid opinions” in order to be part of the “community”.

79. Most parents have children for the sake of ornamentation. It’s a tradition for many “hard working” heterosexual couples who breed kids because they think that’s what people are expected to do. This columnist is really pandering to the “I hate rich people” attitudes of middle class yuppies. Once again the hypocritical moralizing of the Victorians rises high in British culture!

80. Nathan: “All his opinions are invalid within the gay community.”
    Who ever decreed there was such a thing? Just because we all happen to prefer the same sex doesn’t make us bosom buddies.
    I personally find most other gay people abhorrent.

81. James Incer 12 Jan 2011, 7:40pm

Elton was once an addict. He is no longer. He has recovered. He is not addicted to drugs.

82. Hmmm there are plenty of hetorsexual people who adopt etc a child, why should Sir Elton John And David Furnish be any different. I’m no fan of Sir Elton, but I would be so rude and unpleasent as to deny him a child. Nobody would be up in arms if he’d been straight, married and choosing to have a late child. Well maybe a little because of age, but not like this!

83. It’s the Daily Mail. In the next story they are inferring some woman is FAT or, dog forbid, not curvy enough. Next story they wag the finger at Kate Winslet for stepping out without her makeup. What can one expect from these perennially faux-shocked and outraged 1940’s columnists?

Personally as long as Elt is happy then that’s good enough for me. A little tiddler might be just the ticket for him and perhaps the Daily Heil could compare what he’s doing with My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding scams or the rest of the straights that are popping out chav children who are then allowed to run riot and cause endless misery in society on a grand scale.