Jobcentre staff accused of homophobia towards gay couple on benefits

1. Keith Lynwood 29 Dec 2010, 11:19pm

Have they victimised the staff or been victimised. Neither working because of stress? hmmmmm….

2. We don’t know what was said to the job centre person to he replied he was trained to deal with people like them. I don’t think he intended any offence by those words. He missed the point of his training though.

3. Jobcenter staff are always obstructive, rude and obnoxious, I’m not sure you could tell if they are acting any differently towards you!

1. Human papilloma virus 3 Jun 2011, 7:24pm

Yes they are.
      Like me, you must have dealt with every single one in the country to be able to qualify this claim!

4. Why the problem? Couples are paid less than individuals. you’d think they’d be pleased to take £30 per week away from them.

5. exactly..they were being honest and got harassed for it…..maybe they should’ve acted like david law.

6. “Mr Mellor claims benefits because of a long-term illness exasperated by stress.”

Exacerbated. Otherwise it sounds like the illness is some dramatic condition of being ‘exasperated by stress’, which is pretty much what stress does, by definition.

7. Red Gosans 30 Dec 2010, 9:51am

Job Centre staff (from my experience) are either very helpful, or very condescending verging on rude. When my ex and I went to claim as a couple (I can’t work due to my son being disabled and requiring constant care) the staff member told us that people living together have to claim as a couple if they rely on each other for anything (child care, helping with bills, etc) whether they are a couple or not.

8. ‘The couple also claim that a member of staff told them he was trained to “deal” with people like them.

This is more down to the DWP rather than the person; when they had their training the way they put across the information was probably in this ‘them’ and us way.

9. Over 30 years ago I claimed Unemployment Benefit (as it then was) and came out to the jobsworths partly in order to counter accusations that I was ‘cohabiting’ with, and thus being supported by, the female friend I was then sharing with. The next time I went in, they were publically discussing my case in homophobic terms before I was even called to the counter. This case suggests that little has changed in some quarters, and inspite of ‘training’.

10. theotherone 30 Dec 2010, 1:20pm

Nice to see people here sneering at the Unemployed.

Why don’t you all fvck off? It will, ofcorse, be hilarious if any of you fall on hard times and have to claim Benefits.

11. Steve@GayWebHosting 30 Dec 2010, 4:45pm

@theotherone

You are quite correct of course. Generally not a nice tone on here toward those less fortunate… Quite like the gay scene in general unfortunately.

Unless you are EMPLOYED, (or self-employed), live in a converted studio apt in the ´trendy´ parts, are preferably a mid-20´s yuppie gym-bunny type… Yer face don´t fit!

Shame.

This article does come over as being a little bit ´dodgy´ though… It says that the jobcentre will be investigating the claim and takes these matters seriously… So lets wait and see what happens before jumping on the hang ´em brigade.

“The couple also claim that a member of staff told them he was trained to “deal” with people like them.” Again, in what context was this said? If it was not referring to their sexuality, but to their claim, then he might have been quite correct.

I would like to know much more before I start to scream from the rooftops. As I said, the whole article looks a bit ´dodgy´ to me!

12. I actually experienced the opposite. I was, for a long time, pretty hidden in the closet, and coming from a small town, I was only ‘out’ when in London.

One night in a gay bar I saw someone I recognised, but couldn’t place from where. On talking to them, it turned out to be my local JobCentre manager. At the time I was unemployed, and the next time I went to sign on, they almost rolled out the red carpet for me.

I didn’t get any more money though!

13. theotherone 30 Dec 2010, 6:31pm

steve: in my experience they will do nothing, nothing at all.

In my circumstances I had several organisations on the back of the DWP for blatant Transphobia and it ended with me being effectively forced off benefits and into a short term (three month) job from which I was sacked for being a Trannie.

Anyway: the DWP do not take complaints seriously as staff are selected and trained to be aggressive to stop people claiming.

14. I can only speak from experience & if this story is in any way true then it certainly doesnt reflect the level of service that my partner & I receive.

we are in a similar situation, both now disabled & claiming benefits. The level of service & the way we are & always have been treated by anyone we have come into contact with from the job centre or other associated staff is not in any way homophobic or unproffesional.

I hope this shows that some progress has been made in at least one location & that all is not lost. I hope this is an isolated case & fear that it isnt.

15. theotherone 30 Dec 2010, 7:47pm

sapphy: your story gladdens my heart but I feel, alas, that it may be your experience which is the exception.

16. David North 30 Dec 2010, 8:03pm

This story is running in the Daily Mail.

The comments section is beyond disgrace.

I would suggest popping over if you want your hair to curl.

17. theotherone 30 Dec 2010, 8:11pm

they used to say of Dante that his curly hair had been burned on his visit to herr.

When I read the comments on any Daily Mail story I can understand just how he feels.

18. theotherone 30 Dec 2010, 8:12pm

‘hell’ rather.

19. Mihangel apYrs 30 Dec 2010, 8:28pm

not “herr Flick”, theotherone?

20. theotherone 30 Dec 2010, 8:35pm

the fallen Madonna with the big boobies herr flic?

21. I read the Mail article, all that happened was they were refered to as ‘gay boys’ … which they are? Making a fuss over nothing

22. theotherone 30 Dec 2010, 9:56pm

GodJack you must live in a wonderful world where no one ever says anything nasty to you and cocks grow on trees.

‘Gay Boys’ is an insult.

23. Theotherone -
    ‘…cocks grow on trees’. A vivid and arresting image. Thank you.

24. Mihangel apYrs 4 Jan 2011, 5:16pm

Jack

these are public servants how should be dealng professionally with members of the public.

“Gentlemen” is the correct term for men over the age of 18.

25. A Homosexual 11 Jan 2011, 1:13am

‘Gay Boys’ is an honest description, or they could have said ‘a pair of homosexuals. I see nothing wrong at all.

26. With regards to “Gays Boys” it’s not what is said but how.

Yes they are Gay boys that is very true and normally would not be an inmsult but I personally think that it was very unprofessional of them to refer to “Clients” in such a way. They wouldn’t refer to an idiot client as a wanker now would they!?