Jim Carrey speaks out against homophobic bullies

1. Steve@GayWebHosting 27 Dec 2010, 9:22am

Good for Jim Carrey.

His words are very true. Bullying needs to be stamped on hard in schools. No-one should be made to feel worthless.

No-one deserves that and gay teens need to feel as if they are ´not alone´ and are supported.

2. I respect him very much for saying this and he has a good way to make his point.

“Every time you look at somebody and think, ‘I don’t like that about that person,’ you just got to know that’s about you,”

.. which explains why homophobs ought to have a problem and not homosexuals.

3. Yay, good for Jim.

I totally agree with him. And, he is a great actor. His performance in I Love You Phillip Morris and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

4. Jennie Kermode 27 Dec 2010, 12:05pm

I really hope he will find it in his heart to say the same about trans people and apologise for the hideous transphobia in ‘Ace Ventura: Pet Detective’.

5. He keeps impressing me. Just makes you proud to be Canadian.

Love that Canadian country. Go Canada!!!

6. Lacy Baker 27 Dec 2010, 4:28pm

I totally agree. the only reason bullies are doing these harmful actions is to cover the pain they are dealing with when you should embrace who you are. stand tall and proud and never let your head hang low when someone has something mean to say. just think to yourself i am fablous today and everyday and it makes them jelious. jim carrey is my hero.

7. @Jennie Kermode Please get off of our train. When the mgority of trans people transition they transition to straight. Even if that wasn’t the case. I am so sick of you people riding our coattails. The gay and lesbian community would be so much further along if we didn’t have to carry your weight. I am all for trans equality, but I am a bit tired of sacrificing gay/lesbian equality just to have you on the ticket.

8. @Jay

Tut-tut.

9. wow. jay needs to do some reading on the history of the struggle.

psst. look up sylvia riviera.

10. I go with Jay. I’ve no problem with transexuals tagging along with the Gay and Lesbian directive, but they ahve their own issues that need to be addressed, and to a certain degree, it has very little to do with the rest of us.

As Jim Carrey points out, violence is unacceptable, but things can take years, even decades to change people, you can’t force people, only convince them that their thinking is wrong. In the meantime, I’m still a fag, and you’re still a trannie.
    Live with it.

11. Kudos to Lacy Baker for her point about the cowardice of bullies.

Bullies are psychological cowards, fearful of facing the pain and discomfort of how they really feel, viewing themselves as weak and pitiful. Bullies must project their feelings of self-hatred and self-weakness onto others; it helps them avoided the pain of how they really feel. They attack those they perceive as unworthy so they can feel more worthy or more powerful. Their attacks on others do not give them real power to overcome their own internal fears and weakness, so they must continue their bulling to continue feeling their false sense of power. Once they are alone with no one to bully they fall prey to their own internal feelings of being weak and pitiful; then, they mentally bully themselves. They gain power and feel okay with themselves only when they can bully others, so when there are alone they revert to being their own victim.

The weird situation is, they want to maintain their fearful façade, disguised as anger and hate, because by projection it onto another object of their choosing it maintains their illusion of control and power over their own life.

12. Cara Dunleavy 27 Dec 2010, 6:21pm

Damn right, Jennie. If you look at the script on the internet they start referring to the lady as “he” in the stage directions for the final scene – and at one point as “he/she/it”. There’s a similar scene in one of the Naked Gun films, where Drebbin throws up after realising he’s kissed a transwoman.

@Jay, most transfolk are bisexual, as far as I know; I certainly am. I have no idea about Jennie’s sexuality, but you seem to, given that you’ve told her to “get off our train”. Do you own Pink News or the struggle for LGBT equality? No, you don’t.

As Xaria points out, the Stonewall riots started over a trans hangout – making the UK Charity’s choice of name more than a little ironic.

@Spanner: You know full well that “trannie” [sic] is a pejorative aimed at transvestites. It doesn’t refer to transsexuals or transgender folk. Keep your hate to yourself, thanks.

13. Hodge Podge 27 Dec 2010, 6:50pm

@Jay “I am a bit tired of sacrificing gay/lesbian equality just to have you on the ticket”

What? How is avoiding being transphobic ‘sacrificing gay equality’ any more then avoiding being racist? The two aims are completely compatible. The only way what you’re saying makes sense is if you intend to victimise trans people for the benefit of LGB people, which I can easily see (“At least we’re not trannies lolol”).

@spanner “I would also say that based on the responses and posts on here alone, Transexuals are amongst the least willing to accept compromise or accept criticism.”

Trans issues have made so little progress compared to LGB issues that, when we establish whats ideal, it would seem that way. The thing is cis people don’t have to compromise.

It’s great that Jim Carrey is making the effort against homophobia, but we need to get to a stage where a transwoman is no longer a byword for comedy. I doubt it’s even crossed his mind.

14. This is just my opinion but I often see the hate towards transpeople as being an extension of certain kinds of hate towards lesbian and gay people – that is, gay men must be effeminate, and lesbians must be unfeminine. Surely these are all nasty forms of “you’re not normal” where society dictates how we must look and act, so I can’t see the problem with having the ‘T’ in LGBT – it makes sense to me.

15. its about tiem that the gay//lesbian community embraced the trans people.

Just as so many gays have been suicidal or actually committted suicide, its similar for trans

I know an MD – specialist. She as a man was married and I’ve actually met her son. But by age 40 she was suicidal> Simply put the brain said “i’m female. the body was male.

Personally I think being gay and being trans are distantly related aspects of sexuality.

But the big issue is that they , just like gays, are tortured, and even occasionally murdered by ignorants and religious extremists.

I’m str8r but have been involved in the gay liberation – freedom – equality movement for 10 + Years. I’m totally comfortable with gay people, even go once or twice to a gay bar ea month. And often meet a couple trans people there whom I know.

its time that the gay community, which does have some transphobia in it, realized the common bond they have with trans people, and welcomed them.

GEt over any fears you have, learn from any fears you have just how bigot minds operate against you.

16. Before I joined University, I knew nothing about the “T” in LGBT other than what it stood for, and therefore would often ignore it as not part of my cause. Upon joining University and dipping my toes into the LGBT world for the first time, I was asked whether I wanted to be the “Trans Officer” for the Campaigns Committee – this has opened up a whole new world of understanding for me concerning the place of “T” within the LGBT cause.

I have since realised that the reason why “T” stands with “L”, “G” and “B” and the many, many other additions, is because the problems we all face come from the same basic source – societal gender norms and the breaking of societal gender norms.

Let’s face it, prejudice against gay/lesbian/bisexual people does not come from the way in which they are having sex, but the gender with whom the act is taking place. You can perform the same act on someone of the opposite gender and that is seen as fine – but the minute that the sex act moves towards someone of the same sex, that’s when the prejudices and the problems begin to arise. The “gender norm”, the way you are “supposed to act” as a man or a woman, has been broken, and that is where the phobia comes from.

The same applies with transphobia. Trans people are seen as breaking societal norms regarding sex and gender when their gender does not match their biological sex – just as gay/lesbian/bisexual people break the societal norms regarding sex and gender when they are attracted to/have sex with someone of the same sex.

As such, the issues faced are different, yes, but often very similar – discrimination, prejudice, a loss of self confidence, self hatred, suicide etc. etc.

And that’s why we have to stick together. We don’t hinder each other’s causes but enhance them.

17. I love to see a straight ally of such caliber as Jim Carrey. He doesn’t need to, he has no further intentions, he is genuine.

Speaking of the other theme in the line, I stand for trans people. I stand for those that have a clear mind and don’t discriminate against their brethren that is. There are focused, centered ones. And there are trans that are incredibly aggressive against gays. I’ve heard some of them dismissing gays as “the cowards that don’t take the further step to do what all homosexuals should do, that is, to transition”. Or typecasting gays as utterly unfit men, regarding straight –well, sort of- guys who made love to them as the real valuable thing. I heard some of them, once they got their vagina, becoming amnesic to such level as to being homophobic, maybe a way to finally conform their pure breed transition. I’ve seen some of them being extremely insulting to any gay who naturally feels like not being a stereotypical campy one as one deserving to be belittle as the worst and the fakest if he is, indeed, sexually totally gay.
    As I said before, I stand for trans people; those who work with us. Not against.

18. “Jim Carrey speaks out against homophobic bullies” . . . I wonder how far this is sincere?

Mr Carrey’s career so far does not fill me with optimism with regards social justice for LGBT people.
    Recently I watched “Dumber and Dumber” one of his earlier films, and I was shocked at how homophobic this was. I also understand Ace Ventura was very trans-phobic.

So when Mr Carrey says that he wants to speak out against homophobia, but also stars in films whose homophobia or trans-phobia could be seen as promoting homophobic or trans-bullying bullying; I am a little cynical to say the least.

19. Steve@GayWebHosting 28 Dec 2010, 2:10pm

Jin Carrey´s words are true nonetheless.

I would not seek to judge someone just on the body of their work. The fact that he has spoken out (when he didnt even need to) speaks volumes to me about him.

Well done Jim. Pity a few more ´A-listers´ don´t follow your lead!

20. Cara Dunleavy “@Spanner: You know full well that “trannie” [sic] is a pejorative aimed at transvestites. It doesn’t refer to transsexuals or transgender folk. Keep your hate to yourself, thanks”.

See, there you go. A classic example of the hard-done-by, reactionary, paranoid, piss-elegant trans-wotsit that just assumes we all know what they do.

If you were to get off your high horses for once and accept that most people are still ignorant of your situation instead of constantly bitching-off and complaining, maybe people might be a little more tolerant and understanding.

21. Spanner: it’s not a trans person’s job to educate you about their life or their struggle. The onus is on you to take to the internet and find out. It’s not like there’s a shortage of information out there. And trans people are hard-done-by; you can see that from the fact that rather than a Pride parade they have a Day Of Remembrance.

Stop generalising and tarring them all with the same brush and start treating them with the respect most of them deserve.

22. Oscar: “It’s not a trans person’s job to educate you about their life or their struggle. The onus is on you to take to the internet and find out.”

WHY!!?
    It’s not me that has the problem with being called the wrong thing. If these people wish to be addressed in a certain way, then it IS up to them to educate us, otherwise I would be nose deep in Wikipedia every day trying to find out how to approach a Lord Lieutenant or some-such.

These people somehow expect, no, DEMAND, that we get it right first time, but do Sweet Fanny Adams themselves to simply enlighten people.

23. Cara Dunleavy 29 Dec 2010, 1:44am

@Spooner: Okay, one benefit-of-the-doubt coming up:

Transfolk aren’t a homogeneous mass. I mention as examples transsexuals, who change their bodies, transvestites, who wear clothes of the opposite gender for a variety of reasons, and genderqueers, who might be happy with their bodies but very unhappy in either of the gender binary roles.

“Trannies” refers only to transvestites, and is a term of abuse employed by rags such as the Daily Mail when trying to whip up hatred. By calling all transfolk “trannies”, you call – for example – transsexuals, who have had to go through a long and difficult medical and social journey, transvestites, who are a completely different set of people with a completely different set of challenges.

It’s rude to lump people in together like that and tell them to “live with it” when you have no idea of what they’re facing – heck, if I were you, I wouldn’t even say “live with it” to another gay person unless I knew their family background really, really well. It would be rude if you hadn’t used a pejorative form, and it was doubly rude because you did. If you’re genuinely interested in being able to communicate politely with transfolk, you could do worse than admit your error.

24. “You see, the “normal” is the rarest thing in the world”. A statement by one of Somerset Maugham’s professors when he was a medical student in London. Later Maugham wrote “It has entertained me not a little to discover the hidden oddity of men to all appearances most ordinary”. The Romans believed that whatever any man or woman ever did was natural…..because as humans, if they did it it was natural. Such a lovely world of the most extraordinary variety of “grays”, as opposed to the hideous world we now occupy of black and white.

25. @John: Beautiful.

26. Manny Espinola 6 Jan 2011, 6:26pm

@John & @Beth A: The Romans were also cruel, racist, superstitious, greedy, vainglorious, and arrogant. You know, like Americans.

27. @Manny Espinola Wow, I didn’t know it was ok to demand respect & equal rights AND be racist at the same time.