BBC under fire for inviting Pope to present Christmas edition of ‘Thought for the Day’

1. I think the answer to Sanderson’s questions is that Ratzinger would never agree to it…

2. Zefrog – And therefore he should not be given air time.

3. john sharp 23 Dec 2010, 2:11pm

my message to the pope
    go to heaven where you belong
    lease us mortals alone
    we do not need your religious lies

4. Its about time the BBC had a weekly program that covers issues for LGBT people!

But we all know the bigoted Mark Thompson would never let that happen.

5. BBC Rome correspondent, David Willey secured the recording. He said “It’s a first. We’ve been talking about this for years in fact – the possibility of getting the Pope to do an exclusive broadcast for the BBC. This is the Pope’s way, really, of saying ‘thank you’ to both the BBC he told me for its coverage, and to the people of Britain …”

6. One of Mark Thompson’s first decisions as BBC Director-General was to cancel plans to broadcast Popetown.

7. Mihangel apYrs 23 Dec 2010, 2:44pm

in other news, the BBC will allow a 5 minute propaganda piece from Kim Jung-il, head of another authoritarian state.

8. I won’t be listening … if I want to listen to some spiritual message at Christmas then I’ll listen to a REAL Christian!!!

9. I have my own thought for the day, directed to the Pope – get your own house in order before you start preaching to the rest of us!

10. The pope can just FRO. Raped any children (and covered it up) lately???

11. Keith Lynwood 23 Dec 2010, 5:10pm

So Mark Thompson brings his private life to work. So perhaps we should do the same and find out all there is to know about this odius religious freak. .

12. Mumbo Jumbo 23 Dec 2010, 8:19pm

You can complain to the BBC (using an easy pro-forma) here:

13. Bill Wingarden 24 Dec 2010, 1:09am

He should be stoned to death for the crimes of the church. Including hiding the endless molestation of children,, and Unexcommunicating a holocaust denier – a bishop williamson.

Strange btw, when I try to put in comments about his worship of the party which took over germany in 1933, none of them appear.

14. Sam Murphy 24 Dec 2010, 1:14am

Someone in the BBC has to replace the popes words with sounds of toilets being filled and being flushed.

And at the end someone shouts after a loud thump – “the head of the traitor”.

which I think boes back to the 1500s or 16oos in england, where a kidn was beheaded for fighting the church/s control.

15. ‘He should be stoned to death’

You, Sir, are an idiot. And as bad as these people we protest against. No one should ever be ‘stoned to death’.

Anyway, I’ve sent in my complaint and encourage everyone else to do the same.

16. 3 mins at 7.30am on ‘Thought for the Day’ R4 to say Happy Xmas…aren’t we being a tad intolerant chaps?

17. Some pretty shrill comments on here. Have a happy Christmas everyone!

18. Just hope the TV and other radio stations are showing/playing something a little more festive at the same time for those 3 mins – who wants to be told they are a bad boy on xmas eve, especially when they’re not!

Nasty little man , we really don’t need him anywhere near the BBC…

19. Here is the Protest Coverage you did not see on the BBC:

20. Peter & Michael 24 Dec 2010, 11:40am

We feel that this gesture by the BBC has undermined the Queen. In reply to a person of the clergy whom had written to complain of London Pink Pride, some years ago, the Office of the Queen replied that the Queen is mindful to represent all communities of her nation.

21. Of course the Pope should be challenged. He’s always treated as if he is above the rest of us, I say challenge him and bombard him with questions like any other person would be.

22. May I say how lucky we in Britain are at this Christmas time, 2010.

We shall have had two old queens broadcasting to us..

My joy is boundless.

Fings is on da up ‘n’ up..

Keith.
    SALFORD

23. Personally, I want a December bypass.
    Skip from Nov 31st to January 1st, and all this midwinter bollocks.

24. Paul Linbrauer 1 Jan 2011, 11:41pm

Its like inviting hitler, who was the pope’s mentor in his youth.

Why else did he UNexcommunicate a Bishop williamson who is a holocaust denier.

Williamson btw was kicked out of the church of England for his views. Kicked out of Argentina when they discovered he was living there under their noses.

And 6 months later Argentina had gay marriage.

Just bend the ends of the popes cross and you will understand the connection between the church and its son Adolph hitler, born and baptised catholic in very cath Austria in 1888, A nd not yet EXcommunicated.

25. Mihangel apYrs 6 Jan 2011, 7:07am

and now BBC are having a series (on radio4) about the “best selling book” of the last 1000 years (ie the KJV Bible), with readings fron it.

Why they don’t just admit to being a wing of the established church…..

26. Ugh …

I won’t be listening, you don’t have to either. But I don’t think you can coherently argue against a Christian viewpoint of Christmas.