Kevin Spacey: ‘Asking me about being gay is like bullying’

1. Sorry matey, you put yourself in the public eye and take the money that comes with it, you also have the pitfalls that come with it. By hidding the fact you are gay, is saying it is something to be hidden.
    Also kids aren’t getting bullied because the media want to out people and using that is a bloody low blow.

2. Listen to the man – evasion, is a blatant sign of shame – Grow a spine Spacey – man up and come out – This ‘protesteth too much’ denial is the same farce we edured with Ricky ‘I’m definitely hetro’ Martin and now….. mmmm nuf said!

3. Jock S. Trap 16 Dec 2010, 12:10pm

Kevin Spacey is right. This is no business to anyone expect Mr Spacey himself. He does no harm to the LGBT community unlike many closet cases so he is more than entitled to his privacy. If he is gay it is his choice to wiether he wants others to know or not. No one should be bullied into being ‘out’ if that’s not what they want.

He’s does excellent work for the Theatre & Arts as well as a talented actor. Give the man the merit he deserves.

4. Kevin has a right to privacy that we all have. And lets get things right here – me might not be gay , he might be Bi, but irrespective of wether he is str8, gay or bi thats his business, not everyone elses. I wish people would leave people alone. I agree with him , its close to bullying. It is this very attitude of public exposure and ‘outing’ that keeps so many people in the ‘closet’ – and you dont have to be famous to be worried like this. The LGBT community , Stonewall and other groups, really dont seem to undertsand privacy and the B in LGBT!

5. Get over yourself, Kevin SPacey, don’t you realise that by being in the closet you are stigmatising your sexuality. If you want to send a positive message then stop treating the fact that you are gay as something that you are ashamed of.

6. john(derbyshire) 16 Dec 2010, 2:03pm

What about Cliff then? Everybody assumes he is gay-accepts him for it-but we all just carry on playing the game. Its ridiculous.

7. I’m with Jock here. There’s no law saying actors have to out themselves from the moment they become aware of their sexuality, any more than nurses, policemen, binmen, shop assistants or anyone else.
    If they feel confident enough to be an out and proud gay role model then fine, but I don’t think there’s anything to gain by pushing folks out of the closet who are just keeping their personal life private. The human right to privacy doesn’t go out the window just because the tabloids say so.
    The only exception to the rule in my book is if the celeb in the spotlight has built their whole career on being a hypocritical homophobic arse, like the Ted Haggards of the world. They are fair game as their homophobia damages others. Otherwise I think it’s only fair to treat celebs with the same respect we’d want for ourselves in that situation.

8. Bill (Scotland) 16 Dec 2010, 3:41pm

Leave the guy alone. He has just as much right to keep his personal life for hiumself and his close associates as anyone else. He’s a good actor and has not, so far as I am aware, ever made any negative comment about homosexuals or homosexuality – he is no hypocrite, he just prefers to keep his sexuality to himself (whatever it is).

9. he’s right….and he’s cool.

10. sessums….yuk.

11. Whaf a contemptible wimp Kevin Spacey is.

Is he actually comparing his own super-privileged, wealthy position to that of a bullied teenager?

If so then he deserves absolute condemnation.

By remaining in the closet (despite the fact that the entire world knows that he is gay and he is happy enough to go cruising in parks at 3am in the morning) he is sending a message to society that being gay is sick and shameful.

Shame on you Kevin Spacey.

12. As other people have said, all he is doing is showing that being gay is something which is shameful and needs to be kept a secret. If he really cared about teens being bullied then he’d come out and be proud to be a role model. I can only assume he has very religious parents and is terrified of them ever finding out… although frankly his sexuality is one of the worst kept secrets ever.

13. Hodge Podge 16 Dec 2010, 5:59pm

Christ there’s a lot of intolerance here. I don’t know his reasons but he’s hardly a homophobe is he? We’re not mind readers so we should respect his right to privacy.

14. Looks like we’re reasonably evenly divided on this.

Personally I think he shouldn’t be afraid to reveal his sexual orientation. Problem is that if he revealed himself as straight I doubt anyone would believe him.

15. What is wrong with half of you? Did you even bother to read the full article, or did you just go off on a ‘DERP DERP CELEBRITY R BAD.’ mentality?

It SAYS at the bottom — ‘if we stop using sexuality as a weapon against people maybe everyone will eventually get cool with it.”’

What he’s saying is that people make a big deal out of a person’s sexuality — especially if they’re famous, and that’s wrong because it encourages people to see it as something ‘abnormal’ or ‘weird’. He’s also saying that those people are hypocrites for condemming anti-gay bullying, but at the same time itching to make a big deal out of celebrities’ oreintations.

Honestly. I can’t believe I had to explain this.

16. I’m with SK – srsly, it’s nobody’s business so long as he’s not making sexuality his business. (E.g. if someone like Mr Rekers gets outed, fair play to us, he had it coming.) Whether Kevin Spacey is gay or straight we don’t know and we shouldn’t care, and so long as we do care we’re perpetuating the sort of gay = taboo mentality which leads to homophobic attitudes and bullying.

Or in other words, read the article, and let Mr Spacey have his private life.

17. westcoastkid 17 Dec 2010, 4:04am

It will come to this… When he is old unwanted by the general public and unable to get an acting job in anything other than a D-grade horror show he will come out and say “Wow. I should have done this long ago, I have no idea why I didn’t.” Fleck off Mr. Spacey.

18. David in Indy 17 Dec 2010, 5:27am

“In response, Spacey said: “Look, I might have lived in England for the last several years but I’m still an American citizen and I have not given up my right to privacy.” ”

Wow! I may not be the sharpest tack in the box but to me it sounds like he just gave England a big slap across the face.

Kick his ass out.

Kick his ass out of the country and let him go back home to The Land of the Slave and the Home of the Bigot. It’s perfectly fine if he wishes to keep his privacy but that’s no reason to insult an entire country.

19. I’d prefer every closeted queen to come out and tell suicidal kids it get’s better, but if he choose not to, that is his right.
    Most of us here play a game of a sort in our life and know the pressure could be deadly so we prefer to die while living.
    “Midnight in garden of good and evil” speaks for itself thou.
    Let’s start with ourself and forget about the usual suspects.
    O…I’m out and proud and so are my two kids and a granddaughter. Lucky bitch I am. It does get better.

20. I think there may be some misunderstanding about this. The issue is more complicated than simply being open about his sexuality. What he’s actually talking about is the different ways privacy laws work in the UK and in the US.
    In the UK we enforce a European right to private and family life that everyone has, no matter how famous they are. If something is known about a person with a public persona, for example that they have sex with their civil partner, it is not necessarily open to the media to publish articles revealing everything in intimate detail, because this information is ‘private’ by its very nature, even if it is publicly known. It would be a breach of the European Right of privacy that we enforce in the UK and libel would ensue as being famous in the UK does not detract from your right to a private and family life.

In the US however, privacy works differently. Anything that is publicly known about a person with a public persona is basically open to media publication. The only way to maintain a right to privacy in the US if you are famous is not to say anything at all. Unlike the European right of privacy, if something is publicly known about a public person, it is no longer ‘private’. Being famous in the US does detract from your right of privacy. A lot.

Even though Spacey lives in the UK and may be protected by our European form of privacy law here, he will not be protected in the US. Anything he says about his private life while in the UK will still be open to publication in the US because by their laws, simply saying anything about your private life immediately means it is no longer ‘private’ and cannot be protected. I would think this probably has a significant effect on his thinking when deciding that he doesn’t want to talk publicly about this.

21. ‘if we stop using sexuality as a weapon against people maybe everyone will eventually get cool with it.”’

The reality is that it’s only used as a weapon against non-heteros.

22. It’s complicated. On the one hand, nobody should have to state publicly his/her sexuality if he/she doesn’t wish to (especially if there is no history of colluding with homophobia), but it is also the case that celebrities like Spacey powerfully reinforce homophobic notions that being gay is something shameful to keep hidden, whether they intend to or not. Creating safe space for him to come out rather than hectoring him is the better option.

23. jamestoronto 19 Dec 2010, 5:23am

While I generally do not agree with outing public figures unless they come down on the gay community and condemn us, I am taking an exception to the recent remarks of Kevin Spacey when – again – asked about his sexuality. Mr. Spacey, you have every right to your privacy – that’s a given in my books. But to equate the questions asked of you to the bullying of young people who have committed suicide is over the top.

You are quoted as saying:

” Spacey equated the interest in his personal life to the bullying suffered by gay teenagers who attempt suicide..”

Comparatively, you have got countless dollars to protect you from all this crap. Lawyers. Personal guards. Publicity staff. Production companies. All of these are there for you.

To put yourself into the same category as these poor young adults and children who have come to the horrific conclusion that the only way out of their torment is death.

These kids have no recourse, no resources, no protectors, no advocates. And you DARE say that you are being bullied because of these questions?

You couldn’t make a movie of some of the horror stories that they have.

Pull back to reality

24. I agree with Spacey, as a kid you may be unsure of your sexuality so you need time to figure it out for yourself so coming out at your own pace is healthy, I think it’s damaging to force someone out of the closet.
    Being constantly harassed with “Are you Gay? Are you Gay? Are you Gay?” adds pressure and frankly I do consider that to be a form of homophobic bullying, also why is everyone making a big deal out of sexuality, if nobody cared what sexuality everyone was the world would be a better place.