Urine vandalism of gay books at Harvard ‘an accident’

1. Library worker accidentally knocks over the boittle of urine as found stored over the gay books section in every library…nothng unusual or suspicious about that then.

2. Accident. How big was this jar of urine to cover 40 books ! We were shouted to not eat or drink in a library now you can go bathroom :(

This is clearly homophobic and the library staff tried to cover it up.

3. What a crock of S***. For one of the world’s most prestigious universtities they’re certainly rubbish at lying.

It’s a homophobic incident – no other books were targetted and the lateness of reporting damage to 40 books (let’s face it, it’s a library – they’d be wanting to ge their hands on more copies as soon as possible) suggests that this was done maliciously.

Why on earth would someone pop a bottle of urine on the shelf in a library as a prank? It’s pretty pointless if you’re not around to laugh about it.

4. donald campbell 14 Dec 2010, 2:23pm

I have to agree with the other comments… my first thoughts were .. why is there a bottle of urine in that section. Were they trying to imitate Maplethorp.. doubt it… hate is as hate does.. what is next..excrement?

5. Lame is not the word . . .

6. Large bottle of urine = LARGE crock of s**t !!!!!!!

7. ““This nuance in the facts in the case also explains why library personnel did not immediately report the incident and treated it instead as a prank.”

No, it doesn’t – it doesn’t explain it at all. What it seems to say to me is that Harvard are desperate for this not to be classified as a hate crime and feeling guilty that they didn’t report this incident earlier. They really think we’ll believe that a member of staff finds a huge bottle of urine in the library and doesn’t report it? Is that a common occurrence at Harvard??

8. It’s quite shameful really isn’t it? Talk about adding insult to injury! The damage to Harvard’s reputation has been done, twice over.

9. Oh, come ON! Is this the best lie that the brains of Harvard can concoct? I am a librarian. I have BOOKS on my shelves, not piss, (except the figurative type some popular authors do insist on putting on paper) This is complete rubbish, folks. Can you imagine what would have happened if the books had been about Sub-Saharan-African-American History or similar. Utter rot.

10. I spend my life in libraries. NEVER NEVER NEVER have I ever come across a bottle of urine on a library shelf.

And let’s say there WAS a bottle of urine left on library shelf. So it falls over: that doesn’t mean the urine flows out, unless there is no cap, bottle-top, or stopper on it.

But let’s say there was no cap on the bottle.

And let’s say the bottle just falls over and STAYS on the shelf, rather than falling to the ground.

Gravity makes water finds its quickest way downwards.

Gravity does not make urine saturate the pages of 40 books unless those 40 books are stood one on top of the other in a column! And I’ve never seen books stacked that way. Have you?

11. They obviously learn their excuses from their politicians.

12. Obviously in that library there is a lot of pi*s on the shelves and a lot of crap on the floors and with that recent “explanation” from library staff the crap is rising quickly,,, get a shovel someone!

13. westcoastkid 14 Dec 2010, 6:35pm

This would be funny if it weren’t so outrageous. If the school does not look into this incident and the lame excuse given for the “mishap,” well…

14. ‘what everyone said’…so now we know where the serious homophobes go to school… no way a bottle of urine could fall over onto books.. it would hit the floor… i guess we already knew they were breeding homophobes at harvard but this just makes it really fricken obvious!

15. Well that excuse is as plausible as the classic A&E disclaimer- “my dog has a habit of bringing my mobile phone into the shower and he’d left it standing on end and I was showering and I slipped and the fact that it’s set to vibrate and covered in lube is just a coincidence!”
    Are they taking the p*ss?

16. Victoria Weinstein 14 Dec 2010, 7:15pm

What “nuance?” This is totally ridiculous. I just hope Jon Stewart gets ahold of it and humiliates Harvard as it so richly deserves.

And I’m an alumn.

17. Those lovely Harvard-lites calling it a setup by gay students or artists.lol

18. Maybe someone was researching Gilbert and George?

19. Andy Godfrey 14 Dec 2010, 11:22pm

@Lou: Wonderful that even the Harvard newspaper gets its fair share of trolls!

20. Nooooooo. Really? I think the under-librarian needs to be chastised.
    My library ALWAYS files bottles of urine on the “U” shelf, not the “G” shelf. Such a silly mistake.

21. john sharp 15 Dec 2010, 7:09am

guilty and no balls to admit
    Typical
    must be religious freaks
    i do not respect religion and declare it
    john sharp
    no gay bombers for defacing the books
    try and do that to a koran or bible
    you have WW4

22. …and the dog ate my homework.

23. “It is not clear why a bottle of urine was in the library.”

That pretty much sums it up. Why was there a bottle of urine in the library?

“Library staff said the books would be replaced.”

But will they replace the bottle?

24. Dan Filson 12 Jan 2011, 5:38pm

Harvard has a previous history of homophobia – see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Court_of_1920