Canadian military publishes new transgender policy

1. Gay Activist Paul Mitchell 10 Dec 2010, 4:28pm

Australia recently has done this too!!!!

Now what about the UK with there transgender policy????

2. Gay Activist Paul Mitchell 10 Dec 2010, 4:30pm

In 2010 the US is still debating about homosexuals in the military under the DADT policy – so forget about transgender people in the US military!!!!!

3. good old Canada. a socially progressive country.

4. Can Sarah Palin see Canada (as well as Russia)? After all, looking across a border can help with domestic, as well as foreign, policy.

5. Natalie Murray 10 Dec 2010, 6:31pm

Actually, the clothing policy is nothing new. All it really does is put onto paper what was being done anyway. When I transitioned to female in 2003, I was issued a new female dress uniform (or DEU), and that was it. The CADPAT day-to-day wear is unisex. So I don’t see what the big deal is.

6. Canada – a joke of a country with a worthless military. Fact – Canadians showed up to serve in Afghanistan wearing jungle fatigues. Without the oil, Canada would be North Mexico. Seen a Canadian movie lately? Enjoyed a meal at a Canadian restaurant? lol

Read more: http://www.queerty.com/canadas-trans-soldiers-arent-just-allowed-to-serve-theyre-allowed-to-pick-their-uniform-20101210/#ixzz17k4THTn2

1. A completely disrespectful and unsubstantiated comment. Maybe you should check out this link before calling Canada a joke, because it seems internationally Canada is much more than that and I bet you feel left out.

7. JeninCanada 10 Dec 2010, 9:02pm

Awesome. I may not always agree with what the military is or does but this makes me smile.

8. Natalie Murray 10 Dec 2010, 9:34pm

@ ron: Our ‘joke’ of a military has been carrying the weight in Afghanistan for close to a decade. We might not have the sheer manpower or equipment that the US military does, but we are recognized worldwide as having one of the most effective fighting forces out there. I think it’s pretty piss-poor of you to dismiss the organization I have given over half my life to, especially considering they’re doing something very progressive by enabling transsexual members to serve openly. Or is this just a troll?

9. Jock S. Trap 11 Dec 2010, 10:08am

Having been to both the US and Canada it’s not hard to see which country is by far the best and most respectful.

The US = never again. Gimmie Canada anyday.

Good for you Canada!! :)

10. Jock S. Trap 11 Dec 2010, 10:09am

The US = never again. Gimmie Canada anyday.

Good for you Canada!! :)

11. Ron, are you American? ;)

12. “Now what about the UK with there transgender policy????”

They already have one. I know of three people who have transitioned within the services and still serve today.

13. jamestoronto 13 Dec 2010, 3:37am

Canada – a joke of a country with a worthless military

You ass – this “joke of a country” has had men and women dying in this god-forsaken country for a decade now. We were fighting YOUR war in Afghanistan while you chose to defeat Iraq – without any success.

DO NOT TELL ME THAT MY COUNTRY IS A JOKE – WHEN YOU COUNTRY – THE USA – IS THE LAUGHING STOCK OF THER WORLD

I need only say WikiLeaks and tell you that you have no right to insult my country or any other in the world.

Your government has insulted the intelligence of the entire world. You have denigrated, dishonoured, insulted and disrespected almost every country on the face of the earth but you continue to insult and ridicule the very few friends you have left, Is Therapy in order?

14. Oh Canada!!!!

15. As a transgendered person to be and an American, I have to say that Canada continues to impress me. I surely must look for a job in this progressive country and move there. The USA is becoming a laughing stock of the world and now that the Retardlicans are poised to take over, I think we will have a Christian right Taliban type of government here led by none other than Sarah Palin. Yes, America will continue to be the laughing stock of the world and I think that we are so full of ourselves but we do not even come anywhere near the most progressive countries in the world. We are rich yes but we have high poverty rates. We lack ideas and imagination to make us a successful country. We are divided on race, gender, sexuality issues and some of us are ashamed to call ourselves what we are – Americans. It is a shame for those of us who travel out this country to even acknowledge that we are from the good ole US of A. I think attitudes need to change in this country. We need to have an agenda that informs small town folk that are setting the agenda in this country. It will be a shame to throw it all away by looking up to this people who lack the intelligence of thinking beyond a stupid Christian Book written more than 2k years ago. Yes I said it. Some of us are tired of the bull.

16. As a serving trans woman in the British Army, 4 years out the other side of SRS I think this is great news for our Canadian cousins. With regard to changing awards, our armed forces allows medals to be changed to match your new name and service details if you wish. The British Armed Forces are way ahead on the management and acceptance of TS servicemen and women and are a shining example to other nations to follow.

Granted the Brits aren’t perfect and its a gradual learning curve for everyone but 11 years since the first soldier underwent surgery , the British Armed Forces are getting it right with our Equality and Diversity policy for the whole LGBT community being outstanding.

USA take note! Canada welcome on board :-)

17. Today on the Detroit Fox news, they said the US government wants to ban fatty foods from schools because so many kids are obese and they are concerned that in the future there will be no one to fight! WOW America! So nice to see the government being so caring and thoughtful towards their youth eh? Eventually they won’t have the option to pick and choose or give a damn whether you are gay, transgendered or what ever, it will boil down to a persons BMI and considering over two-thirds of Americans are over weight or obese, maybe the government should start considering spending money on health care for a change instead of wars! I’m an Aussie who lives in Canada and I lived in the US as well. Go Australia! Go Canada! : )

18. The military says there’s no “legal uathority for re-writing history”, but you can change your name and sex on your birth certificate, so I don’t see what the issue is. Honours are actually the most important part of a policy. If a person had all her or his honours renamed, wouldn’t it make the gender of the uniform a little less meaningful? Maybe you can answer, Ms. Murray?

19. Sylvia Durannd 26 Mar 2011, 4:49am

First I would like to say that this brings final legitimacy over an the issue that, like Nathalie points out, is not new in the Canadian Military. It was initiated in the Canadian military system with their first soldier 13 years ago,

Second, I would like to bring to Hilda’s attention that Canada was approving of its soldiers to serve while transitioning before UK. In fact, before any other country worldwide. I kind of know this as I was that individual. I am still serving today after 31 years of dedicated service to my country. I wish you the best in your new journey.

20. Why….Can’t….The US Military do this?!?!? That’s it…I’m moving to Canada!