Gay rights ally Elizabeth Edwards’ funeral to be picketed by anti-gay church

1. A very sad day Elizabeth Edwards was a good human being and will be very much missed. The Westboro collective are disgusting and offend all decency in their vile conduct.

2. I think it’s disgusting that they are allowed to do this, but on the bright side who really takes any notice of them.
    They hate everyone and at the end of the day they only consist of about 100 rednecks, it’s not really their fault they think this way because they are so mentally deficient from all the inbreeding that goes on :), I swear I heard somewhere that they are all related.
    God isn’t waiting for them, what they don’t know is when they die, they’ll just rot in the ground and no one will remember their pointless existances.

3. Someone please burn down this terrorist church (preferably with its leaders in it)

4. I would love to see any and all who can attend, to create a human shield around the funeral site to block the view and give the Edwards family some privacy. Carry large signs with words of condolence for the family to help block out the hatemongers.

5. When one of the Westboro lot dies, use the same ‘freedom of speech’ clause to line the streets with those who have been insulted by them for so long.

6. Nasty, pathetic, evil little nobodies who try to make themselves important by bullying others. They’ere not religious, they’ve just chosen religion as the vehicle for their hate.

I hope someone arranges for a lorry-load of sh*t to be dumped over them to hide the nasty smell from their revolting persons. They are beneath contempt.

7. Elizabeth Edwards was exactly the sort of person that Christianity says people should be like: Caring, non-judgmental and kind-hearted. Those hateful bigots in the Westboro collective could learn a vast amount from her example.

8. Can’t somebody just drive a car thru their group?

9. Aurora Ryynänen 9 Dec 2010, 11:05pm

The Afrikaans phrase ‘donnerbliksem’ comes to mind whenever hearing about these bloody gits.

Why dont someone beat their arses?

10. why is hate speech stil considered free speech?

11. 21stCenturySpirituality 10 Dec 2010, 3:01am

These people really are so sick. They have a right to their views and beliefs but picketing someones funeral is so low its off the scale. Its a sick, nasty publicity and attention seeking ploy. I’d like to see their reaction if someone picketed one of their relatives or friends funerals. I bet they would be total hypocrites.

12. Will - Dublin 10 Dec 2010, 9:59am

What a delightful group these people are, a startling example of the sum total of how low humanity can sink.

And you’re right, 21stCenturySpirituality, about the hypocrite bit. Phelps had committed perjury in a case in 1979, and was permanently disbarred from practising law in the state of Kansas. “Practice what I preach, not what I practice” comes to mind.

13. I suppose the point of spouting this poison at funerals is that they prefer being hated to being invisible, which is certainly what they’d be otherwise.
    What were all the GIs who died in World War II being punished for? Electing FDR four times?

14. I’ve said this before:
    If you were to go to one of the WBC demos, you would find the the place crawling with police assigned to protect them. You wouldn’t get anywhere near them.

What should happen is the police should charge the church for their protection duties. I’m sure a few fat bills would slow them down.

15. @Ollie
    It’s perfectly true that very few people care a rat’s arse about the activities of this cult and that millions in the US and billions worldwide don’t even know they exist. The inevitability, though, is that one day someone will care enough for the consequences to result in injuries, even fatalities, to the members of the cult, including their abused children, and possibly to others. It’s just a matter of time.

16. From their point of view isn’t this counter productive? How many people are likely to be impressed or persuaded by any group that stoops to that level?

17. Will Dublin 10 Dec 2010, 8:10pm

If you want to see how nutty this lot are, look at this:

It not religion, its a form of insanity.

18. FloridaHank 11 Dec 2010, 1:47pm

Hey Iris….how have you been? It’s been too
    long since we corresponded. All’s been well
    with me, just been busy and haven’t seen
    many articles worth commenting on.

But with this demented “religious” group, I’m deeply
    embarrassed with their behavior at funerals.
    While I’m a sincere follower of the writings
    in the Bible, there’s no way I can see how they
    justify their actions using Scripture passages.
    Like so many misguided “religious” people,
    these people cannot call themselves Christians.

I’d like to argue with them and see exactly
    where they find their Biblical support for
    their position. My deepest regret is that they
    give “true” Christianity a pathetic and immoral impression.
    I’m certain they have no understanding of who and what Jesus
    Christ was and what He preached.

I get some satisfaction that they’ll get their just
    punishment on Judgement Day, even though
    at the moment, they deeply hurt many people with
    their depraved behavior.
    Your friend Hank

19. Oh, look. Its Hank again. Great. Set eyes to glaze and mouth on yawn.

Following the same MO are we? First, be nice. Then say homosexuality is a choice, can be changed, and we’re all in hell, blah, blah. Followed by a religious rant of pure arrogance. Than accuse all of being paedophiles. A “Hank moment” is predictable and regular. Like a bowel motion. And equally full of sh….

We have sooooooo seen this all before….. any new Christian nutters out there? Really, I bore of the same closet cases that come in here these days. Its all so repetitive.

20. Hi Hank,

Glad you agree that they’re loons. But I’m wondering what line, in your opinion, the Phelps family have crossed to be considered bad rather than Christian ‘purveyers of the truth’? Is your objection only that they defile funerals with their presence, or do you consider their obsession with gay people wrong?

The reason I ask is that to me the Phelps are the extreme and obvious end of a range of unpleasant, unnecessary and misguided ‘relgious’ views about LGBT people. At the other end are people like all those ‘Family’ groups in the US who dress their hate in nice words. To me, hate is still hate, and actually I find the suble, smarmy poison of all those ‘Family’ groups far worse because it takes in many people (who wouldn’t dream of supporting the Phelps, for example) and shows a degree of cunning and an attempt to deceive that I find sinister.

21. de Villiers 13 Dec 2010, 9:37am

I

22. de Villiers 13 Dec 2010, 9:46am

I do not know how many others on this board are not Anglo-Saxon, it would interesting to know if any of them agree with me on this.

It seems to me that the typically American, slavish devotion to a particular concept of laissez-faire government and le capitalisme sauvage allows the rights of the most unpleasant, vocal, activist and extreme persons to override those of all others and to the exclusion of any type of civility or manners or balance.

I cannot think of any time in France or Italy, having lived in both, when there has been picketing of funerals.

It seems very sad that both America and England as English speaking countries proclaim themselves as the home of freedom. With this type of behaviour in America in the name of “freedom”, offset against detention without trial in Guantanamo, body scanners and potentially invasive body searches in American airports, denial of equal rights for gay people elevated to constitutional level, CCTV on just about every corner in central London – I feel freer in the EU then in either America or England.

This funeral behaviour, to me, appears to be sadly and typically Anglo-Saxon.

23. de Villiers 13 Dec 2010, 9:47am

This funeral behaviour, to me, appears to be sadly and typically Anglo-Saxon.

24. FloridaHank 16 Dec 2010, 2:01am

Hi Iris. Sorry for the delay – don’t have a good reason, just that time passes too fast, and
    I’m involved in doing a few projects that take more time than I expected.

Your comment…..”I’m wondering what line, in your opinion, the Phelps family have crossed to be considered bad rather than Christian ‘purveyers of the truth’? Is your objection only that they defile funerals with their presence, or do you consider their obsession with gay people wrong?

My response: First of all I don’t believe they’re Christians in the true sense that followers of Jesus Christ would exhibit behavior. Whether their un-Christ behavior comes out in their actions at funerals, or their vicious condemnation on LGBT people are both wrong. They have taken words, phrases, etc. out of context to form their belief system. While they could have their errors pointed out in Scripture, it wouldn’t make any difference to them. They are not under the control of Jesus Christ, but rather under Satanic control (even if you don’t believe in Satan as an entity).

You also stated….. “At the other end are people like all those ‘Family’ groups in the US who dress their hate in nice words. To me, hate is still hate, and actually I find the suble, smarmy poison of all those ‘Family’ groups far worse because it takes in many people (who wouldn’t dream of supporting the Phelps, for example) and shows a degree of cunning and an attempt to deceive that I find sinister”

My comment: I too have some problems with the religious positions held by some of those groups. Since we last communicated, I’ve been doing more deep reading, studying, and research in my Christian understanding and have learned much in strengthening my viewing mankind – both religious and non-religious people.

Much to my dismay, I believe there’s a great deal of Biblical ignorance among many so-called Christians. They may say the words, but have little understanding of its true meaning – it takes much studying, having an open mind to reading, listening, studying many Christians who’ve studied the Scriptures for most of their long lives. There are many great, deep thinkers who have much valuable things to tell me and I give much of my time trying to digest it all.

But Iris, before we get into any other subjects, such as the LGBT topic,
    I’d appreciate it if you could devote 30 minutes to listening to the following. It really made a profound impression on me when I first heard it, because it did bring you, personally, to mind as it had me look at you as a special person, who I accept as God’s creation.

If you would listen to “So, I’m a Christian, You’re Not – Now What” by Mike McGee on: Sermonaudio.com and better see my position. We could afterwards talk again –maybe expand our subject matter. OK Iris?
    Hank

25. FloridaHank 16 Dec 2010, 2:08am

Hello diVilliers:
    I read your comments and would like to know if you’d like to discuss your
    topic more widely?
    Hank

26. Kat Griffin 16 Dec 2010, 5:11pm

Firstly, soldiers die broad because of the stupidity of man in general and of war.
    Secondly, of course her faith waivered when her 16 year old son died. That kind of tradgedy is enough to test anybody’s faith.

and finally, the bottom line is, christianity is a COMPASIONATE faith. I’ve been brought up in a religious environment and not one person I know, priests included, would ever condemn or hate me for being gay. They may not agree but they forgive (although I don’t believe there’s anything to forgive) and they certainly don’t turn up and picket the funeral of someone because of their beliefs.