Poland gets first out gay elected official

1. This actually put a smile on my face.

Good luck to him in his new job :)

2. de Villiers 3 Dec 2010, 6:41pm

It demonstrates potential for equality if the electorate are ready to elect him.

3. westcoastkid 3 Dec 2010, 8:31pm

What… hell froze over? Concrats Krytstian!

4. Great news, This guy is so brave. Go the Greens in Poland.

5. Congratulations and I wish you the very best Krystian. You are the beginning of a new era in your part of the world.

6. Jock S. Trap 4 Dec 2010, 7:58am

This is a good step in the right direction. I fear the abuse he is going to get but I hope his strength will beat the bullys the same way he has already beaten them.

7. Actually, Polish society is not as conservative as it is told. In fact, Legierski said: “I have not exeperienced any hostility during my campaign. It is politicians that stay behind and hamper LGBT emancipation”. Please do not reinforce the stereotype of Poland as a conservative society; it only helps homophobic politicians that try to make capital out of it. They feel more legimtimate than they actually are.

8. Har Jacobs 4 Dec 2010, 12:00pm

It this can happen in Poland, bull-work of Catholicism, it can happen everywhere. All it takes is time, damn it, but individually no one has enough of that.

9. An Cat Dubh 4 Dec 2010, 5:38pm

According to what I’ve been told, Kraków is the religious stronghold in Poland, while Warsaw is very liberal.

10. black and gay…elected by the public! great news for Poland!

11. Peter Purton 6 Dec 2010, 2:19pm

As the TUC’s LGBT officer I was delighted to take part in the first ever trade union LGBT conference in Warsaw this year. Now this election provest that progress continues. Great news!

12. Congratulations Krystian Legierski – Warsaw is a great city with a proud liberal tradition within the generally more conservative state and I am sure he will represent his electors well. He is not black by the way Daniel – why make an issue of what you presume (wrongly) to be his race?

13. Having been to Warsaw several times, I would not consider it to be very conservative. True the gay nightlife is more underground than here, but there is still a vibrant gay, youth and alternative scene. Well done to Krystian.

14. oge okoi gloria 7 Dec 2010, 1:37pm

welcome krstian

15. I don’t understand why the pseudoprogressive groups press conservative people to be tolerant and open towards everything what used to be abnormal, unnatural or strange, why do those groups usurpate the definition of forward-looking people? Today if you want to be progressive you need to support homosexuals and be atheist, ’cause conservatism makes you stay in Dark Ages, that’s so freaky… Why didn’t nature allow men to have their own babies? a little mistake during creation of human species? so sad… Don’t misunderstand me – I’m not against gays, I respect people for their deeds, behaviour and views, not for who they are sleeping with, what I mean is that it’s annoying when some groups in societies persuade others to take their definition of progress, because no one can be an owner of it. Conservatists can be as forward-looking as others, they don’t need to resign from their values to be ‘up-to-date’ and develop themselves… What a stupid kind of pressure!

16. Guy (not gay) from Poland 9 Dec 2010, 11:08am

I do not understand this, why sexual orientation is so important in this article?

17. Christina, Conservative ideals aren’t fixed and can fluctuate wildly between country to country. British conseravties for example can be much more left-wing than their Polish counterparts (although quite possibly not). It is accepted knoweldge that convservatives are traditionally also much more right wing and the right-wing doesn’t like us gays as we don’t fit in their little boxes.

Sexual oreintation is important in this article because firstly, it’s a gay online news services and secondly the fact that this man is gay and now an elected official is a first for Poland.

18. I’m polish and I’m not proud that gay was elected, that’s wrong way for our country. This is my and many other polish people opinion. Gays and lesbians should not be in the goverment!

19. And you Marcin by that reasoning shouldn’t be commenting on a gay website.

Don’t be absurd. Sexuality has nothing to do with how effective someone is once in power.

20. Congratulations Krystian!
    I’m Polish altough I’m not from Warsaw. I wish there were more open gay politicians in my country. Get out of the closet guys! :)

21. you can say whatever you want, but you can’t change the nature, homosexual behaviours in nature aren’t normal, even in animal’s world… if they were, the animals of the same sex would have a biological possibility to give birth to their offspring. You try to change normal order of the world by convincing others that your preferences are natural, but that’s just a lie, you can’t lie the nature… Surely we all should do everything to stop mutual attacks and destroy the hatred, but it doesn’t mean that we must treat homosexual practices as something totally normal. Besides it’s all about the image of the gays – most gays from the homosexual societes are considered to be immoral and shallow and cheat on their partners all the time, they’re just thinking about pleasure, have no hierarchy of values, do not respect the normal rules governing the whole society. In my country there are some homosexual celebrities who openly say that they are hedonists who do not have any ideals and like to sleep with those who are attractive to them and are willing to take part in some sexual adventure despite of the fact that they are already being in serious relationships. A lot of gays cheat mightily. Why? maybe it’s connected with the opinion of the world which considers them as being abnormal, so the gays easily give permission to themselves to come across as often as they wish. You are ‘radiating’ with your sexuality, you don’t respect any moral limits. And you scream all the time that other people don’t like you. Stop feeling sorry about yourselves and show us that you are respectable persons with beautiful ideals, not just animals who think with their genitalia, instead of the brain and the heart.

22. Disgusting. Nest will be paedophile or murderer.

23. Pinknews..

can we have something done about the hateful and ignorant trolls please.

To all you nasty homophobes out there too. We don’t play victims, nor do we ask for your pity, undertanding or tolerance. The time has passed for that.

Let me assure you all in no uncertain terms. We’re here, have always been here and we’re going to be here in 100, 1,000 and 100,00 years times. Get used to it because we’re in your banks, your homes, your TV and your internet. Your pubs, your bars, police force and hospitals and even your government. If you truly want to spout your rubbish then go ahead – there is nothing on this earth that you can do to us which hasn’t already been done and that makes us much wiser, stronger and more committed than any of you.

Just remember what I’ve said when you sleep in your beds tonight – we’re EVERYWHERE.

24. Danny, do you call a ‘troll’ every person whose views are different from yours? you’re so tolerant… Anyway, I just wanted to say that there are a lot of gay politicians in Polish government, they aren’t ignored in public life, believe me;)

25. siegfried 9 Dec 2010, 5:37pm

Danny, that’s strange, you were described by someone (the ‘troll’, right?) as an immoral hedonist who thinks only about sexual pleasure, and in response you don’t show that you feel offended and don’t try to explain that the description is unjust, that you all aren’t like that – in fact, the tone of your comment is supposed to, I don’t know, frighten the homophobes? my impression is that you say: ‘well, you can attack us, try to get rid of us, the great plague, but it won’t work because we have already spread (like zombie) and we’ll ruin your peacefulness with pleasure’… So is that description a real picture of homosexuals? Do you admit that this is true?

26. Mihangel apYrs 10 Dec 2010, 11:51am

Siegfried et al:

the first time a tribe of homo sapiens exceeded 40 people, there would be at least one gay man and one lesbian amongst them.

We have been here forever. We actually serve a good survival function: the women could act as child minders, and the men would be a second male in a family to protect the females and children (homosexuality become more prevalent in younger male siblings).

So there’s nothing you can do to get rid of us short of changing the total genetic state of hom-sap.

Our sexual and social activities my rransgress existing social mores, but they would fit in just fine with some of the great civilisations of the past, or in some countries that haven’t been irredeemably infected with montheistic totalitarianism

27. I love this website, you get to read the weirdest, most retarded people you could ever imagine. That jacinth comment is legend. What an idiot. And seigfreid saying “we have already spread (like zombie)”. Like Zombie?????? WTF. LOL. Oh jeez. Classic.

28. Dan Filson 4 Mar 2011, 12:03pm

Let me utter something politically incorrect, which curiously nobody hitherto has uttered: Cute!