Gene Robinson: Archbishop of Canterbury ‘abducted by aliens’ over homosexuality

1. I can see the movie now “Invasion of the Communion Wafer [which may or may not literally be a body] snatchers”.

2. ‘Acts as if’ is the key phrase here. Please don’t discredit this guy by misconstruing a quote. As seen in For the Bible Tells Me So, a documentary film about religion and homosexuality, he actually is a pretty decent guy. He never said Williams was abducted by aliens, he joked that Williams’ behaviour is akin to such.

3. I wish Gene Robinson would get abducted by aliens.
    And that they’d then come back for Rowan Williams.

And then make another trip and collect Joe Ratzinger.

I am sick of hearing about all of them.

And sicker still watching them, particularly Joe.

Have you seen this picture of the camp old queen.?

Just look at the hem of his white cassock at the back.

Now is that an ecclesiastical tailor asleep on the job or is it yet another schum-schum vada touch.?

The beginnings of a wee train, perhaps..

4. @Jana. it certainly was. phew.

5. 21stCenturySpirituality 20 Nov 2010, 11:39pm

Actually Keith I think that Gene Robinson is a brave and honorable human being who has a great depth of integrity and humanity, which is more than can be said for alot of leading figures within Christianity.

6. He seems like a nice guy. However it is quite sad that a presumably well educated person would believe in sky fairies and goblins.

7. MY opinion on Williamss is that he should not have been elected. I thought the anglican church didn’t appoint women to their upper levels. At the least a gonad cancer exam would have resulted in Williams not being elected – no balls to put it bluntly.

As for RATZInger – I thought his church abhored clones and cloning. Why did they elect a guy who is so much a clone as the furher of Germany

8. Coward Williams

9. 21stCenturySpirituality 21 Nov 2010, 5:40am

Sky fairies and goblins weren’t central figures in Christianity last time I checked. Sounds more like Celtic mythology to me.

10. 21stCenturySpirituality 21 Nov 2010, 6:15am

It seems to me that in the headline of this article that Gene Robinsons remarks have been taken out of context and misquoted. He isnt actually saying that the Archbishop has been abducted by aliens but rather using the notion as a metaphor to point out that the Archbishops attitude and position on homosexuality are at odds with his previous form. And he is also referring to remarks made by others if you read it. Very poor show Pinknews.

11. Just to be clear before this thread gets completely derailed… I think both the article and myself understand Gene Robinson is using a simile here – Don’t want to get bogged down in a Zoolander style “Earth to…” debate!

12. Williams sees his job as being to keep the church united.

But given the extreme conservative views of many members of that church, it’s not possible to square that circle.

He lacks the moral courage to admit that and deal with the consequences.

He does not want history to remember him as the Archbishop of Canterbury that brought about schism.

Sadly for him, his failure to realise the truth, and act on it, means that history will remember him as a totally ineffectual leader.

chrissie

13. ARCHBISHOP OF CANTERBURY GETS ALL THESE COMMENTS AND MOCKINGS BECAUSE HE FAILED TO STAND FOR PURE CHRISTIAN VALUES AND PRINCIPLES AGAINST THE INCREASING NORMALISATION OF SICK PRACTICES IN THIS COUNTRY.

14. If I was in his shoes I’d let the reactionary zealots defect to catholicism where they naturally belong and leave the pews for more liberal minded folk, but he’s trying to appease the dinosaur constituents and if he’s not careful he’ll go the same way.

15. Huk –
    Your hatred and fear of other people’s intimate relationships is what is sick. And check out the article again for what your religion used to ‘normalize’ and about which even its most ‘fundamentalist’ adherents are now conveniently amnesiac. Please go away and spew your neurotic bile somewhere else.

16. I agree with the Bishop. Rowan Williams can’t seem to decide if he is on the right or the left of the C of E! If he had the courage to ditch the african church and its support for homophobia and join with the espisopalians in a new reformation I’d support it!

17. It sounds to me as if he changed his public position in order to save his own skin. In other words he’s a spineless coward who hasn’t the courage to drag the church into the 21st century.

18. lucreziaborgia 21 Nov 2010, 3:40pm

…all of it is just such a great shame! I don’t think Rowan Williams is responsible but the bigots within the C of E.

19. “INCREASING NORMALISATION OF SICK PRACTICES IN THIS COUNTRY”

You mean like a lack of education in people like you, for example, how to do the most rudimentary things like turn off the CAPS LOCK?

20. Paul Brownsey 21 Nov 2010, 4:30pm

“his perplexion”

The word is “perplexity”.

21. An Cat Dubh 22 Nov 2010, 8:09pm

ROWAN ATKINSON WAS ABDUCTED BY ALIENS?!
    (Just kidding :P)

22. Huk, your hatred of the relationships of those whose lives do not in the least affect yours is what is sick. I suggest you seek help for your problem.

23. I think Gene Robinson is great. A kind and compassionate man who speaks from the heart. I would be proud to call him a friend. God knows more like him are needed in the church. Rowan Williams would make a very good friend to Caiaphas.He knew all about betraying people.

24. jamestoronto 23 Nov 2010, 2:19am

I personally think the A of C was abducted by that pope Benny dude and subjected to US DoD mind-altering techniques.

I wish they would all be abducted by aliens and NOT replaced – PLEASE KEEP THE WHOLE LOT – along with the mullahs, the ayotollahs, the rabbis, etc.

25. The homophobia in the Anglican church is sickening but it’s hard to really care about any of these deluded religionists of whatever stripe they are all time wasters and money wasters who spread division and distrus while claiming privileges for themselves and their own.

26. Mihangel apYrs 23 Nov 2010, 10:51am

Pavlos
    except for their pernicious influence on public policy

27. Huk – LBG aren’t sick etc unlike the bile that you spew which is sick and worse, besides christians are meant to love thy neighbour etc

28. I support Gene Robinson to be the next Arch Bishop of Canterbury.