Lesbian activist awarded MBE

1. Peter In Brisbane 3 Nov 2010, 10:42pm

What can you say about awards and those who bask in the glory…Activists who face the real danger, stick their necks out and do the dirty work can feel cheated, while opportunists after the gains, position themselves into cushy jobs.
    This happened in the 80’s, to our wonderful Breast cancer, activist Ladies in Cairns Australia, who also opened up the first Womens shelters in Queensland.
    Who stole their thunder in this instance and pined medals on their breasts?…Heterosexauls as usual.
    These great women have been effectively blotted out of Gay history
    but never forgotten.

2. Alternatively, you can see this article as evidence that gay people and gay contexts are no longer seen as ineligible for mainstream awards.

3. She does look a bit like a lesbian Salvation Army super-hero with her Sally Army-like uniform plus the rainbow cape.
    Imagine her as a rainbow-coloured bat swooping out of the skies of Poland, Latvia and Moldova to fight homophobia and to protect LGBT rights with her magic rainbow cape!

4. James Karen 4 Nov 2010, 10:12am

Peter, Australia is still a pretty intolerant place though. Compare your very right wing administration to 15 years+ of our very lefty Labour government and lets face it, Even David Cameron is a liberal when compared to Julia Gillard! Things are much better in the UK and its only a matter of time before marriage equality happens. The fact the queen is handing an MBE to someone for services to the LGBT community shows just how much society has/is changing here.

5. pride events are counterproductive if you’re not an exhibitionist its like watching carnival freaks they should be stopped

6. Elena Gordon 4 Nov 2010, 3:43pm

@Dean: not in C&E Europe they are not, so why don’t you come along if you feel that way about western events? You would be made very welcome!

7. Elena Gordon 4 Nov 2010, 3:52pm

…and it looks like it was the first time ever that the words “Lesbian” “Gay” “Bisexual” and “Transgender” were used either singly or together ina British Honour. And I’m sure that “L” word made rather a few people sit up and pay attention and just imagine the poor palace official who had to wrap his mouth around that! Plus which HMQ is not only Head of State she is the Titular Head of the Church, which pleases LGBT people in C&E Europe no end!

8. Congratulations Clare Dimyon…and thank you.

9. Claudia Cahalane 6 Nov 2010, 12:50am

Gosh, there are some random comments on here! Peter – what on earth are you talking about exactly.
    Loving Clare’s suit, that’s proper lesbian palace attire I reckon. But, a superhero she sure is! I feel guilty I haven’t been to any Eastern European prides. we should all go to more.

10. Clare Dimyon 6 Nov 2010, 2:54am

Thanks all for these lovely comments.

@ Peter: Im sorry to hear about the Breast Cancer Activists in Cairns but I can assure you I am 100% lesbian! and I have never been anywhere near Cairns!

Superhero me? The Slovaks sometimes call me the “Mother of Slovak PRIDE”, which is lovely but really I am the “delinquent aunt of PRIDE in C&E Europe”. It is the LGBT in each country of C&E Europe who do the work and take all the risks, I just turn up, wave a few flags and try to be a supportive presence. I’m not really sure I do “deserve” it but I am absolutely certain the LGBT of C&E Europe *do*! This honour can’t be given to them direct but with this crazy archaic system, honour is conferred upon them through the citation: “for promoting the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender people of Central & Eastern Europe” said out loud by the Lord Chamberlain IN Buckingham Palace.

11. Clare Dimyon 6 Nov 2010, 3:01am

Not only do we have honour conferred upon them but quite by accident we stumbled into history… the first honour for PRIDE, the first time the words “Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender” are used in a citation for a British honour, possibly for any such official honour in the world AND I didn’t fall flat on my face in those heels in front of Prince Charles and disgrace the entire lesbian nation!

@ Peter: HM Queen is also Queen of Australia (for the time being) and Head of the English Church… there is astonishing symbolism and history in this honour (the fact it went to me is incidental) and it is the determination of the LGBT people (and their friends and families) to parade with PRIDE that has achieved it. They have achieved this for US.

12. Clare Dimyon 6 Nov 2010, 3:15am

@ Jonpol: :*
    @ Claudia: don’t come because you feel guilty, come because you want to meet some of the most fabulous LGBT people I know and their just adorable friends and families who are 110% behind them. Come to have fun, most of all come because you feel PROUD of the LGBT people of C&E Europe and their astonishing determination to parade with PRIDE despite any number of difficulties. Come and take part in history in the making!