Stephen Fry claims The Observer has portrayed him as “the Antichrist” over straight sex comments

1. I just wanted a chance to say he’s a great chap. Stephen is the perfect host for QI too. He’s very friendly and intelligent too.

2. Jock S. Trap 31 Oct 2010, 8:54pm

I am Sooooo bored of Stephen Fry. Enough already!!

3. Stephen Fry is such a conservative old-England toady. I can’t believe that people are prepared to lap up his act all the time. Who gives a damn what this man who apes a 1930s way of behaving thinks about anything!

4. Sorry, but I’m actually with the Observer on this one. Fry can be found saying almost the exact same things about women and sex on this video interview on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A211L382EVI It’s pretty clear that he’s had these thoughts for some time now.

What really annoys me about this is not only how crass and ignorant his comments were; it’s also that he’s trying to worm out of this tight spot he’s gotten himself into by reacting childishly and ‘flouncing’ off Twitter, sending his fans into a frenzy and leaving them to tweet thousands of supportive messages. Come on Stephen – you’re better than trying to weasel sympathy from online sycophants. Man up, admit you were wrong, and learn from this. Unless you face the music like an adult, I will have lost a huge amount of respect for you. And maybe it is time you put down the IPhone for a while and gave the world of Twitter a break.

5. I’d hardly consider Stephen Fry an expert on sexuality. He was voluntarily celibate for 16 years. That indicates (to me at least) that he’s had some major problems in dealing with his own sexuality, so I’d hardly take his opinions on sexual issues too seriously.

6. He should learn to keep his trap shut then lol.

Gay people may well be more aware of sexuality, gender roles and stereotypes by necessity and life experience than many straight people, but straight people will never take advice from a small group of society they despise, or at the very least patronise and feel themselves to be of a higher value in some way. All very sad but true.

I don’t agree with what he said and how stereotypical he was, he does not represent the gay community, but I think the attacks are extra strong and over the top because, ‘God’ forbid, a gay man dared to utter an opinion in public.

7. I wish people like Stephen Fry had been around when I was young, a time when homosexuality was illegal, when gay men were portayed in the media of the day as rather sinister, depraved or at best exotic somewhat enfeebled creatures. I was no tough guy but I was a boxing fan and books about the war were my favourite read.Imagine my confusion,liking boys but unable to identify with the “queer” sterotype of those days. It would have been good to know that there was a widely admired figure like SF. around, that you could dress like a country squire, be a car enthusiast and still be gay/bi. The only celebrity gays of my youth were figures of fun who could only hint at their sexuality.

8. He makes me embarrassed to denote myself gay.

9. I watched Stephen Fry on “Last Chance to See” on our tv last night. At least he tries but it is obvious he is spending far too much time keeping up media appearances and is so obviously unfit that I think he should give himself a break from facebook and other media appearances for a while and get out and experience the real world again. His You Tube appearance, recommended by Kim above, surely is just dumb and sounds like he feels he has to have a super view on everything. He obviously has not many lesbian friends. But what he is highlighting in the creatures he sees in ‘Last Chance to See’ is important, particularly coming from someone like himself, whom thinks shopping until he drops is a reason for living at times. I only hope he starts to put his sharp mind to more real problems that are evolving from how most of us now live in the West.

10. Peter In Brisbane 1 Nov 2010, 6:42am

An Antichrist? Yeah who isn’t. A militant Christ the Observer has conjured up has all the brutality of the Cossacks and the Crusades.
    God is on the side of the Observer?? Give us a break.

11. I’m a woman and I love Stephen Fry. We don’t have sex the way men do – get over it. I can’t believe people are getting so over excited about this. Who cares!!

12. So then, it’s apparently not true at all that gay men access more casual sex more easily than straight people do…next time you see the lie being trotted out by anti-gay bigots that gay men are more sexually promiscuous that heterosexuals remember to correct them and refer them to this incident with Stephen Fry.

13. de Villiers 1 Nov 2010, 9:37am

This was just a humourous aside. It is being taken and interpreted too seriously.

14. What an utter, self-pitying, publicity-hoovering twat. If only he would take another long walk, and this time not be in such a rush to come back.

15. Patrick---01 1 Nov 2010, 10:48am

Stephen Fry is a vacuous idiot with no intelligence, no intellect and nothing to offer.

Why he continues to annoy us with his stupid little opinions that no one cares about, and why he thinks people actually care about what he says, and why he thinks he should tell everyone about his life via twitter, I don’t exactly know, but expect it might be because he is a silly sad little man.

16. Wow, why all this venom people? Calm down and get on with your lives.

17. Fry has over-reacted to an over-reaction.
    Time for everyone to move on.

18. The reason straight women are so worried about sex is straight men.

19. The fact that this idiot spends half his life on Twitter says all about his low-level personality/mentality. I mean, doesn’t a Twitter have to comprise less than 140 letters, including spaces? That’s even less than a standard Pink News story for Gawd’s sake (joke PN, you know I love you really!!).

20. Rory O'Brien 1 Nov 2010, 8:28pm

I think that this is just another case of a gay man daring to submit an opinion that is controversial being demonised by the right wing press.
    Many columnists and celebrities present gay men in a very negative manner, talking about evil, sin and peadophilia.
    I think heterosexuals are as promiscuous as gay men, it just makes it easier for gay men not having the gender difference (easier to understand, more in tune with each others needs).

I do however think Stephen’s ideas of cruising are very out of date, I actually don’t know anyone that does it, and it’s quite frowned upon or made fun of negatively in the gay circles I roll in. I mean it is stupid in the age of gaydar, provincial club nights and gay villages etc.

Then again Stephen is of an older generation, whereby outside of very large cities cruising was often the only way to meet other gay men. Sadly this is still the case in many backward areas, and with repressed married men.

The right wing media only seeks to reinforce this fear and keep men in the closet.

21. Rory O’Brien: “I think heterosexuals are as promiscuous as gay men”
    That is SO not true. Straight men might want to be as promiscuous as gay men, but straight women won’t let them.

22. The Observer are wrong about many things, such as supporting the Iraq war. But Fry as the Antichrist? Hmm, they may have something there…

23. Jim:
    > I just wanted a chance to say he’s a great chap. Stephen is
    > the perfect host for QI too. He’s very friendly and intelligent
    > too.

He’s a misogynist who tries to lie his way out of things afterwards. Which shows he is nowhere near as clever as he thinks.

As for his friendliness and intelligence on QI, try http://leonalo.wordpress.com/2010/01/13/sass-rogando-sasots-complaint-against-the-transphobia-of-bbcone-show-qi-and-stephen-fry/

As for how great a chap he is, what about his dumping his long-term partner for a much younger model?

24. Ray:
    > I wish people like Stephen Fry had been around when I was young,
    > a time when homosexuality was illegal, when gay men were
    > portayed in the media of the day as rather sinister, depraved or
    > at best exotic somewhat enfeebled creatures. I was no tough guy
    > but I was a boxing fan and books about the war were my favourite
    > read.Imagine my confusion,liking boys but unable to identify
    > with the “queer” sterotype of those days. It would have been
    > good to know that there was a widely admired figure like SF.
    > around, that you could dress like a country squire, be a car
    > enthusiast and still be gay/bi. The only celebrity gays of my
    > youth were figures of fun who could only hint at their
    > sexuality.

A gay man who was a car enthusiast and dressed like a country squire? Lord Montagu, who founded the first car museum at his wonderful country pile in the New Forest? My father, who thought I was gay, took me there in 1958. Another example would be Gilbert Harding, who was a star on a wildly popular television panel game, a car fancier, and chunky, and so more the equivalent of Mr Fry, but he didn’t make ignorant remarks about women.

25. Paula:
    > I’m a woman and I love Stephen Fry. We don’t have sex the way
    > men do – get over it. I can’t believe people are getting so over
    > excited about this. Who cares!!

26. Rory O’Brien:
    > I think that this is just another case of a gay man daring to
    > submit an opinion that is controversial being demonised by the
    > right wing press.

and

de Villier:
    > This was just a humourous aside. It is being taken and
    > interpreted too seriously.

You aren’t a woman. We get too much of men being nasty then being told we have no sense of humour. Gay men do too. Odd you don’t see the parallel.

27. I wasn’t gay as a child and teen in the 50s and 60s – I was transsexual – but I could see many positive gay and lesbian figures around, so I can only imagine why you remember it so differently.

Comment by oatc — November 2, 2010 @ 19:21

I wasn’t as aware as you clearly were at that age. Wasn’t Lord Montague associated with some sort of scandal? And Gilbert Harding came across as a grumpy unhappy man? But I wan’t aware of his sexuality at that time.

28. WOULD YOU ALL SHUT THE F UP!
    Is it any wonder Hetrosexuals think we are a bunch of ‘Whinging Queens’ – reading all of this is only as ‘offensive’ as the Fry remarks you are whinging about – It was an interview and the interviewee was representing himself HIS opinions not Gay mens opinions His Opinions.

And since when did being a celibate negate anyone giving an opinion on SEX – Most of the Catholic Church daily comment on the subject – it’s an opinion, the difference in the Fry case is that Millions of unevolved followers aren’t taking his rermarks as gospel.

29. *So you agree with him that women don’t enjoy sex and only use it to entrap men in relationships? I don’t know any other women who believe that.*

I never said I believed it. I just said I couldnt give a toss if someone thinks it. Who cares. He’s allowed an opinion without being attacked isnt he.

30. Kevin Reynolds 4 Nov 2010, 2:58pm

Isn’t a man and woman wanting sex with each other quite natural? Whereas having someones chap shoved up your wrong ‘un or having to become a lezza because your’re too ugly to get a man unnatural?

31. Ray:
    > Wasn’t Lord Montague associated with some sort of scandal?

Yes, he was the host of the country break that featured in the prosecution that led to decriminalisation. But it was scandalous to just be gay, lesbian or transsexual back then. The Sunday scandal-sheets had stories every week. You cannot say they were all “rather sinister, depraved or at best exotic somewhat enfeebled creatures” because of that. It was the law and the filthy media that mis-portrayed them.

> And Gilbert Harding came across as a grumpy unhappy man? But I
    > wan’t aware of his sexuality at that time.

He had a drink issue, and had a stage persona. But then Mr Fry is publicly bi-polar.

32. Paula:
    > He’s allowed an opinion without being attacked isnt he.

He tends to state his opinions as facts, and makes a living from being someone who people listen to. Have you not seen him as the fount of all knowledge on QI, or a witness on countless documentaries?

If someone like that misrepresents an often misrepresented group, aren’t they entitled to go for his credibility?

33. SteveDenver 6 Nov 2010, 5:41pm

Stephen expressed what I’ve been saying for ages. It doesn’t apply to ALL PEOPLE, and there are certainly plenty of people who will lie to appear more prudent; but I’ve worked in straight bars and in gay, and overall guys want sex and girls want guys and will give sex to get them.