Emmerdale star sorry for ‘abusing’ gay fan

1. He’s only sorry that he got caught.

2. J Cartier – absolutely. And I bet his handlers stood over the miserable little tyke to make him apologise. The idea that he somehow didn’t know he was giving offence is ludicrous. Didn’t give a stuff, more like.

3. Jock S. Trap 27 Oct 2010, 11:24am

Clearly the boy (man would be a trade description violation) doesn’t like being spotted out and about. Therefore may I suggest he has made an unwise career choice. As for his actions, sounds to be like a perfect candidate for the BNP party. Certainly one unworthy of such ‘soap stardom’ status.

What a pathetic loser.

4. Louie Mince 27 Oct 2010, 11:44am

Named and shamed, nice one! Let’s see his people try their best with damage limitation on this story. He’ll no doubt pop up on I’m a Celebrity or some such dross trying to rehabilitate his reputation. What’s most depressing is he’s a young guy not some old codger with years of prejudice under his belt.

5. ‘Me thinks he doth protest too much’
    homophobia = latent gay desires FACT

6. I wonder what Danny Miller and Marc Silcock will think? Both have suffered homophobic abuse in the street because of their characters so even though they aren’t gay they have an idea what it’s like. With the Aaaron storyline and Aaron trying to kill homself over fear of this sort of thing you’d think the muppet would think before he opened his big mouth!!

7. Ahhhhh. Gutted, never watched a soap in my life before, but Aaron in Emmerdale has been amazing to watch. Now I won’t be watching again. Not with a vile homophobe like him in it pretending to be pro gay.

8. OK, [playing Devil’s advocate for 1 minute] not to excuse his reaction but it’s not easy to stay cool when every Tom, Dick and Harry off the street assumes they can approach you whenever they please. The first few times you might enjoy the novelty of signing the odd autograph but when every second time you go down the shops for a pint of milk you’re jumped by some wide eyed fanboy who wants to be your best mate, that becomes intrusive and grating.
    That said, Adam Thomas should know better than to turn righteous indignation into a homophobic rant.
    Adam needs to master the art of telling people he wants to be left in peace without resorting to homophobic ad-hominem attacks.
    And Ricky needs to learn there’s a time and a place for everything and McDonalds is probably not it.

9. “[I] and am horrified to realise that I have caused offence.” – Yeh, yeh, boll*cks.

10. What a non-apology. He’s obviously NOT sorry about what he said. He KNEW it was offensive but instead of admitting that he pretends that he made an innocent comment and inadvertently caused offence.

And JohnD, you’re probably right. He clearly has some issues he needs to sort.

11. What an idiot, particularly as Emmerdale has been fantastic in its treatment of gay characters and issues, making their sexuality just a facet of their character rather than the be all and end all of their characters.

Hopefully this foolish homophobe will be properly reprimanded. No excuses.

12. My gaydar says…”closet case”.

13. understand it was filmmed on the guys phone, post it on youtube and shame the homophobe

14. His apology rings false to me. He’s sorry he was caught. I don’t understand how these actors can work in an industry, where gays and lesbians represent a large part, and feel it is okay to spew this kind of homophobic garbarge. Especially in a country where homophobic bullying is running rampant. I feel he needs to be set as an example and being fired is the best response. It would show that “Emmerdale Farm” will not tolerate this kind of bigotry.

15. Emmerdale and ITV should sack him at once! Sorry for this sort of action isn’t enough.

16. i have email itv and asking for his dismissal, please do the same . this behavior has to stop

17. I’d bet a fair amount that he didn’t just say hello and wonder who was the first to sling abuse. The other side of the story would be very interesting but Adam Thomas seems to be above mud-slinging.

18. And his character is SYMPATHETIC to gay Aaron? Sheesh! You couldn’t make a story like this one up. Uber PR disaster for brand Emmerdale. Dump it like you would a cow pat in Annie Sugden’s farmyard (and if not then at least bring back Amos, by ‘eck!).

19. Emmerdale producers should now be looking to make an example out of him by showing they won’t tolerate this behaviour offscreen.

Coronation Street producers are well ahead with staff discipline.

One thing is for sure – if ever I see this actors face I’ll be reminded of this incident.

20. Sack him…..he’s undermined all the positive work done by Aaron..he must be really thick!

21. Mihangel apYrs 27 Oct 2010, 6:05pm

Flapjack
    actors who seek to become celebs (ie the majority of those on television) should learn to deal with the recognition the crave in different arenas. If you don’t like it see if you can make it in rep as an understudy!

22. What a complete hypocrit he is

Goes to show his true colors and that the greedy money crabbing twat will do anything for money at the end of the day

Its a complete disgrace and yes He should be sacked for this

23. Corrie producers sacked ‘Les Battersby’ for shooting his mouth off the same should happen to this waste of space.

24. Huge American fan of Emmerdale here. I never miss a episode online. This is so very disappointing. It’s sad that this young man hasn’t learned a little something about homophobia just from playing the part of Adam, the long suffering, sympathetic and supportive best friend of Aaron.

His apology is sorely lacking, which adds insult to injury. I’m not one to overreact to things but I honestly believe that his behavior, and weak, insincere apology should result in him getting fired (sacked). Pardon the American spelling and terminology.

25. chuck conley 27 Oct 2010, 7:43pm

Shame on you for being such a ass about a fan trying to say hellow and the only reason you are sorry you were found out

26. Mumbo Jumbo 27 Oct 2010, 8:15pm

If he’d abused someone racially he’d be out of the door already.

27. This was in a Mcdonald’s in Leeds. The guy sold his story to the Sun.

I’ve been in Mcdonalds’ in Leeds; it’s not where normal civil interaction takes place. Yes, of course the gay slurs weren’t appropriate but I’d put money on the way the fan addressed him not being appropriate either.

I’m not excusing the guy; I’m just saying, save your anger for something it’s really worth.

28. This is not a trivial story. This is important, because it involves someone who is making a living out of portraying a sympathetic character in an influential TV programme. And yes, had it been racial abuse, or against a disabled person, there would certainly be a greater and wider uproar. I’ve also written to ITV about this, and look forward to their reply.

29. what a twat!

30. dear Oscar
    as a gay man not in the know, can you tell me where the rights places for me are to be verbally abused, and the right places where I can expect not to be?

31. Jim – all I’m saying is that we don’t know how this exchange began. I don’t agree with his use of the word ‘gay’ at all, and I do agree that he should be punished since presumably, for some, he is a role model.
    I just don’t think this is worth everyone getting so heated about.

32. I’ve just seen a picture of the lad who this actor said ‘queer’ to on pink paper. And, if he came up to me in mcdonalds I’d verbally abuse the camp bleached orange skinned moron as well.
    I don’t think the actor was being homophobic, he was being campphobic.
    When are camp gay lads going to get it into their heads that ‘camp’ isn’t ‘gay’. He got picked on and verbally abused because he looks like a freak, not because he’s gay. Gay does not equal freak.

33. “And his character is SYMPATHETIC to gay Aaron? Sheesh!”

But, y’know, that’s why they call it ACTING…

34. “am horrified to realise that I have caused offence” what did this twa* think calling the two lads queers would do? He’s only apologising as he got caught. Chances are he loves a bit of sausage too but is just covering it up. Emmerdale should sack the homophobic knob immediately. I bet if he’d upset a Muslim he would have been out on his thick head with no questions asked. And to be honest he’s a right minger they could do much better.

35. The Lizzie 12 28 Oct 2010, 2:30pm

Doubel standards, again. If he’d been racist to a black or ethnic minority fan, he’d be sacked on the spot!

36. “If he’d been racist to a black or ethnic minority fan, he’d be sacked on the spot!”

Racist abuse never did Cheryl Cole’s career any harm…

37. “I bet if he’d upset a Muslim he would have been out on his thick head with no questions asked.”

It’s amazing how racism homosexuals show their true character when stories like this appear. The story has nothing to do with Muslims or ethnic minorities, but many of the posters above are choosing this as an opportunity to air their own resentment at what they doubtless feel (in their Daily Mail moments) to be “politically correct double standards.”

38. PumpkinPie 28 Oct 2010, 4:42pm

I don’t think the actor was being homophobic, he was being campphobic.

People like you disgust me. You’re right up there with the racists and homophobes, because you’re a bigot just like them. You have no right to complain if you ever suffer homophobia – that would be your poetic “just deserts”.

39. Interesting… I would like folks to read the bottom headline of the article page entitled “Emmerdale star says gay character is still a homophobe.” While I know the article is not referring to Mr. Thomas character in theTV series I think life may be imitating art as far as Mr. Thomas’s real life is concerned.
    Nothing sadder than a case of self hatred.

40. My reply from ITV:

Thank you for your email regarding Adam Thomas. Neither ITV nor Emmerdale condone Adam’s behaviour and he has been involved in disciplinary meetings with producers. May I take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to contact us here at ITV.

41. @Paul Cann, your comment makes absolutely NO sense. You defend Thomas’ actions due to your opinion that the man he called “queer” and “gay boy” was a freak. Then you make the point that “gay” doesn’t mean “freak”. So why then did Thomas attack the “freak” with gay slurs? Either Thomas thinks gay equals freak or he thinks that the best way to offend a “freak” is to call them “gay” and “queer” OR he really thought the guy was gay.

Please, by all means, provide another possibility.

So your argument either makes NO sense or you are actually making the case that one of the three options would make Thomas’ response reasonable.

Either way, you look like a fool.

42. @ Hayden. I take it you’re a camp freak.

43. @Paul Cann – Are you trying to defend the actions of this Emmerdale actor then?

44. @ Jim. No, I’ve been thinking about what PumpkinPie said and I’ve changed my mind. Sorry Pumpkin.

45. I think a nerve was hit there and defense is an auto reaction. Anyone who is comfortable with his sexuality would acknowledge what it was a (compliment)