Olympic swimmer Stephanie Rice loses Jaguar contract over ‘homophobic’ Twitter comment

1. She ‘apologised’ for her vile comment – yes – so are we meant to believe she isn’t a sickening homophobe?
    I most certainly believe that anyone who uses such hate inspired language is sick and needs help but in the meantime it’s good to see that she has shot herself in the foot regarding her income.

This is good news as it says if you are publicly homophobic you may just loose out.

2. M. T. Bags 7 Sep 2010, 11:23am

Excellent work Jaguar!!

If she ‘meant’ no malice why say it? There was no need, full stop!

3. Well, if I lost a 100,000 pound car I would be sorry too!

4. OMAR KUDDUS GayasylumUK 7 Sep 2010, 12:54pm

Good on you Jaguar, to show that homophobia has no part in modern socity.
    Sorry but if you said it , you meant it, and the saying “foot in mouth” springs to mind.
    Anyway “faggot” is unacceptable in or at any time.

5. Suck on that Stephanie! Sorry I didn’t mean that? NOT!!! Good on you Jaguar.

6. Well done, Jaguar.

With any luck it’ll make her and her equally ‘careless’ colleagues think twice before using such language in future.

7. Excellent, well done Jaguar

8. Ms Rice has since apologised on her website for her comments, saying: “I did not mean to cause offence and I apologise”.

Bull! She knew exactly what she was saying. Congrats to Jaguar for quickly dumping her. All she is apologising for is getting caught!

9. Phoenix0879 7 Sep 2010, 4:39pm

Although I don’t condone what this silly girl tweeted (on a side note, am I the only one who doesn’t *get* Twitter?) I do have issues with this by Omar:

“Anyway “faggot” is unacceptable in or at any time.”

By this statement Omar, am I homophobic? I have used faggot, dyke and fairy myself on several occasions – sometimes even in a bad way (oh, stop being a fairy for example). Sometimes it’s just a word, with no homophobia intended. Sometimes people say stupid things they don’t really mean – god knows I’VE done that a few times. I’m inclined to believe her gay friend that it wasn’t homophobic, merely stupid. And her stupidity has cost her dearly, so it’s a lesson she has probably learnt now and will think about what she says in the future.

Sometimes (and only sometimes) cases like this are mere stupidity. I think we need to step back a little from pointing at every stupid comment and screaming “homophobia!” because this may have a cry wolf effect, which is the worst possible outcome.

10. Richard S. 7 Sep 2010, 4:58pm

Don’t use Twitter, haven’t even seen it, but unless Rice has a voice-activated means of using it, the words have to be typed and then the “send” button clicked on. That ought to be sufficient time for your average mammal to consider the consequences of what it’s about to do, and you’d have to be pretty stupid in this day and age not to realize that Tweeting what she did would have no negative consequences.

11. I emailed Jaguar to say I appreciated them cancelling her sponsorship and they just sent me a nice little email back! Good old British Jaguar :)

12. I am a gay South African rugby supporter. The only thing that I will be sucking on is Quade Cooper. And I know I do it better than you, Steph. So, suck on that! Oh, so sorry, did not mean to cause offense…

13. Excellent. Brilliant. Actual, genuine integrity from a commercial interest. The firm has shown greater self-respect than Matthew Mitcham’s grovelling apology on behalf of a clear homophobe.

14. Good for Jaguar!

15. how is seeing her in a Jaguar, gonna make me wanna get one. If they want ME to buy one, they should make a great car that Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear loves.

16. Beauty doesn’t mean brains – Suck on that Steph

17. Mihangel apYrs 8 Sep 2010, 7:07am

Con-se-quences
    the response to our actions and words. Always think about them

and RufusRed: I think Matthew is trying to protect himself against the still-pervasive homophobia in the sports world (consider how little publicity he had at the Olympics). Certain morons will blame him for the fallout from HER idiocy

18. Mikey Bear 8 Sep 2010, 7:54am

Mathew should now realise his so called friend has shown her true self as a homophobic twit-ter, more companies should follow Jaguar especially when other TV and Sports personalities use their position to exhale their bad breath on the LGBT community. there is no place for homophobia in sports
    WELL DONE jAGUAR YOUR THE STAR.

19. OMAR KUDDUS GayasylumUK 8 Sep 2010, 11:21am

in responce to 10:
    As an civilised community we can use the word “faggot”, for i do so to my lgbt friend in jest, or love, but i understand and accept that a an member of the the LGBT can.
    But Where do we draw the line? Is paki or the n word acceptable, i think not ! from the “straight” community?
    A stated before homophobia has many degree and innuendos and agenda.
    One however can only again ask for taking the morality in to contrasting/constructing and demand that in the 22nd century one has no place for homophobia or any form of discrimination.

20. Ms Rice had a tearful press conference in Sydney today where she spoke about the Twitter incident.

read it here

She said:

“I owe it to those who I have offended to publicly say I am sorry. I also want to say it’s just not me to cause offence to other people no matter who they are. I am not a person who judges others or speaks in a way that hurts the feelings of others. My words were careless and thoughtless.

“No matter who people are, what they can or can’t do, they are entitled to the dignity we expect for ourselves. I broke basic rules of courtesy to others and consideration for others and for that I am truly sorry.

“I have also learned that some things can mean more to others than they do to you. At no time did I intend to give offence. At no point was I thinking of those who may be offended.”

OK – it’s time to let this story rest. Do people really want her head on a stick?

She made a thoughtless and offensive remark but she is no as disgusting as the Australian PM – Julia Gillard – who claims to be an atheist but does not support marriage equality for fear of offending the religious people.

Or that revolting lesbian collaborator Penny Wong – who also refuses to support marriage equality.

Pick your enemies wisely.

Stephanie Rice is a silly girl. But she’s apologised. Focus your energies on the REAL bigots – Julia Gillard, The Pope etc.

21. darkmoonman 8 Sep 2010, 2:50pm

I hope this serves to remind everyone that:
    1. twitter is public content for the world.
    2. “faggot” is as derogatory word as “nigger”, “abo”, or “boong”.