Matthew Parris wishes he had come out while a Tory MP

1. Marvellous man! I’m totally in love with this guy – and strangely intrigued by this “rudimentary third testicle”. I think we require more information.

2. dave wainwright 20 Aug 2010, 4:15pm

some of us are wishing he would go back in the closet and emigrate to somewhere far away , sooner the better .

3. I have always admired Parris as a commentator and journalist, though the Thatcherite Toryism is hard to take.
    It certainly would have helped if he’d been out in the 80’s. As it was, he was unable to be an effective Tory voice against Section 28.

4. Jess Conrad 20 Aug 2010, 11:03pm

In My Experiance, It’s Never Any Use Wishing You Did This, That Or The Other When You Were In Another Time And Another Place. And Nothing Lasts…Always Is a Dreadful Word And We Are All Fond Of Using It. Once Someone Says They’re “OUT” They Become Forgotten with the Rest. What’s More….I would be ashamed To Admit I was An MP!

5. Julian SW11 21 Aug 2010, 11:07am

Mathew Parris is simply a coward. A feeble sniping little man.

6. Lets hope he does not go too far down the road with this wishing thing. . .

What next – wishing wells

or the sky pixies . . .

7. The animus expressed against Matthew Parris here is incomprehensible to me. A “coward” would not have defied his party over the Iraq war from the very beginning. This is what he said in his Times column in 2006: “We were not invited. We had no mandate. There were no “good” Iraqis to hand over to. We had nothing to latch on to, no legitimacy. It wasn’t a question of being tactful, respectful, munificent, or handing sweets to children. We were impostors, and that is all.” This was at a time when Labour supporters I knew were busy defending and justifying Blair’s decision.

8. Jess Conrad 21 Aug 2010, 1:18pm

Matthew Parris Is Many Things But Certainlt not a Coward. JULIAN SW11 Is A Stupid Nincompoop!

9. theotherone 21 Aug 2010, 9:32pm

Mathew Paris a coward? Some people are idiots.

10. Presumably, the sniffling little git was sharing another man’s farter the whole time Section 28 was progressing through Parliament.

11. No, Parris was involved in an unsuccessful campaign to get rid of it: (From the Times again) “I remember the strangely clandestine atmosphere surrounding even the gatherings that Ian McKellen, Nick de Jongh, Peter Mandelson and I used to attend . . . as we planned media resistance to Section 28”. After it passed, he responded with others by setting up Stonewall (well, nobody’s perfect!).

12. theotherone 23 Aug 2010, 11:20am

how was he to know what Stonewall would become JohnnyH? ;-)

13. Jess Conrad 24 Aug 2010, 9:57am

Well Said JohnnyH….You Are Certainly Not A Johnny-Come-Lately!!