American comedian suggests ‘ground zero gay bar’

1. Simon.Murphy 13 Aug 2010, 1:44pm

I was reading about this.

Apparently the bar is going to offer 70 virgin cocktails on its menu as muslims don’t drink alcohol.

2. 70 virgin cocktails – Ha!

3. As the developers of this mosque keep repeating that it’s all about ‘building bridges’ then, yes, let’s have a gay bar there too.
    Personally, why does a mosque have to be there? There is no big muslim population around ground zero. No matter how you look at it, it comes over as triumphalist Islam putting two fingers up to everyone else.
    Why can’t the mosque be built in a less sensitive area?
    As it does look like it will be built, a gay bar would certainly put the ‘building bridges’ concept to the test.

4. Actually, this could work. Near the Hollanspoor station in the Hague, there is a sex shop just two doos away from a mosque, and |I imagine noone bats an eyelid.
    Somwhow, I could’t see this same thing happening here in the UK

5. Sounds like a good idea.
    Will be be as welcome in their temple as they will be in the gay bar though?

6. PumpkinPie 13 Aug 2010, 4:33pm

Excellent idea! If it works, that’s brilliant. If it doesn’t, then it’ll bring some very serious issues out into the open. Win-win situation!

7. As someone with a gay muslim BF, I think it’s an excellent idea! I think you’ll find it’s a bigger niche than the muslim establishment lets on!

8. PumpkinPie 13 Aug 2010, 4:37pm

Although, I seriously can’t see it being used by closeted muslims. If a muslim guy doesn’t want people to know he’s gay, why on Earth would he use a gay bar next to a mosque? Oh well, still a good idea for plenty of other reasons.

9. Wonderful idea. We could put a bacon butty bar next to that!

10. Stuart Neyton 13 Aug 2010, 5:23pm

“it comes over as triumphalist Islam putting two fingers up to everyone else.”

Only to those stupid or ignorant enough to lump massive groups of people together. At least 58 muslims were murdered in the twin towers. Please don’t paint this as a bogus “islam vs the west” thing because it really isn’t.

I like the idea. Highly doubt it’ll foster cohesion mind.

11. Well, building a gay bar in that part of New York makes, from a demand perspective, far more sense than building a mosque. How many Muslims are there anyway in tyhe Financial District? I doubt many. The decision to build the mosque near Ground Zero is mere provocation and, as the user above says, “no matter how you look at it, it comes over as triumphalist Islam putting two fingers up to everyone else”.

Once again, the threat to gays and lesbians (and civil rights in general) comes from religion.

12. Simon.Murphy 13 Aug 2010, 6:33pm

“The decision to build the mosque near Ground Zero is mere provocation”

Actually no it is not.

If they have the money to build it, then they are entirely free to build it.

Just as a businessman is entirely free to open a gay bar.

13. I like the idea of a gay bar near Wall Street. Now all the closeted gay yuppies would have a place to go after work. They could name it “StoneWall Street”.

14. “No matter how you look at it, it comes over as triumphalist Islam putting two fingers up to everyone else.”

Samad Afridi
    Ashraf Ahmad
    Shabbir Ahmad (45 years old; Windows on the World; leaves wife and 3 children)
    Umar Ahmad
    Azam Ahsan
    Ahmed Ali
    Tariq Amanullah (40 years old; Fiduciary Trust Co.; ICNA website team member; leaves wife and 2 children)
    Touri Bolourchi (69 years old; United Airlines #175; a retired nurse from Tehran)
    Salauddin Ahmad Chaudhury
    Abdul K. Chowdhury (30 years old; Cantor Fitzgerald)
    Mohammad S. Chowdhury (39 years old; Windows on the World; leaves wife and child born 2 days after the attack)
    Jamal Legesse Desantis
    Ramzi Attallah Douani (35 years old; Marsh & McLennan)
    SaleemUllah Farooqi
    Syed Fatha (54 years old; Pitney Bowes)
    Osman Gani
    Mohammad Hamdani (50 years old)
    Salman Hamdani (NYPD Cadet)
    Aisha Harris (21 years old; General Telecom)
    Shakila Hoque (Marsh & McLennan)
    Nabid Hossain
    Shahzad Hussain
    Talat Hussain
    Mohammad Shah Jahan (Marsh & McLennan)
    Yasmeen Jamal
    Mohammed Jawarta (MAS security)
    Arslan Khan Khakwani
    Asim Khan
    Ataullah Khan
    Ayub Khan
    Qasim Ali Khan
    Sarah Khan (32 years old; Cantor Fitzgerald)
    Taimour Khan (29 years old; Karr Futures)
    Yasmeen Khan
    Zahida Khan
    Badruddin Lakhani
    Omar Malick
    Nurul Hoque Miah (36 years old)
    Mubarak Mohammad (23 years old)
    Boyie Mohammed (Carr Futures)
    Raza Mujtaba
    Omar Namoos
    Mujeb Qazi
    Tarranum Rahim
    Ehtesham U. Raja (28 years old)
    Ameenia Rasool (33 years old)
    Naveed Rehman
    Yusuf Saad

Muslims that died in 9/11 attacks.. (no not the terrorists)

there is EVERY RIGHT to be a mosque there.

15. Mihangel apYrs 16 Aug 2010, 7:55am

IT ISN’T A MOSQUE!!

It’s a community centre with a prayer room.

People with an actual stake in this (survivors and family/friends of the atrocity) are divided; it’s the religious right dingbats who are lock-stepped in opposition

16. Mihangel apYrs 16 Aug 2010, 7:56am

It’s also 2 blocks away

17. It might be two blocks away but don’t kid yourself that the aim wasn’t to find somewhere as near to Ground Zero as possible. Read the early comments from the Cordoba Institute lot, it’s clear that they wanted to make that link even if apologists try to deny it on their behalf.

One last important thing. Greg Gutfeld is NOT a left-wing comedian, he’s a libertarian one. He’s a presenter on Fox News too, their late night comedy/chat show Red Eye (http://www.foxnews.com/redeye/).

18. TishaInDallas 16 Aug 2010, 3:41pm

For my gay muslim friend, who was denied entry into a mainstream gay club (a place for pretty white men to hang), I am sure he wouldn’t find this idea funny or ridiculous. But I would have to worry about the intent behind building this club. It seems to me that it’s poking fun at the LGBT community. Seems like the comedian is saying “Well if we’re gonna allow terrorists to build in ground zero, why don’t we let the dirty queers have a place as well.” What is the comedian gonna suggest next? A daycare/park built by NAMBLA? Great idea but not if it’s meant to be a joke at our expense.

19. @nuriboy

“there is EVERY RIGHT to be a mosque there.”

Look, no one is saying that those who have proposed to build this mosque (or community centre – whatever they want to call it) do not have a ‘right’ to build a mosque in that location. What I’m arguing is that it is (a) an act of provocation (b) tasteless and (c) counter-productive to build that mosque/community centre in that location. Only an absolute idiot would not have predicted that a proposal to build a mosque/community centre near Ground Zero would cause a lot of outrage, so if the aim of those who want to build this mosque/community centre was really to build bridges and foster cohesion and understanding, then their plans have failed spectacularly – this is why I don’t believe there stated aims.

@Simon.Murphy

“But I get worried when I see muslim people being demonised.”

Just to clear some things up – I’m a liberal. I would never advocate discrimination or persecution of Muslims, simply because I am a strong advocate for free speech. I also feel the same way about, for example, the BNP and the Ku Klux Klan: they must not be discriminated against or persecuted. However, this does not mean that we should be ‘nice’ to these people or embrace them as simply another oppressed minority. Most* Muslims hold horrifyingly oppressive views that, when enacted, cause unimaginable harm to, among others, women, gays, free-thinkiners (ie atheists/agnostics), religious minorities and et cetera.

20. A Gay Bar named after the Brave Guy who overcame the terrorists on the flight 93, Mark Bingham and the other brave souls would be a real tribute; a mosque or a community centre is an insult

21. Jess Conrad 19 Aug 2010, 9:11am

THE AMERICAN DREAM WHERE ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE….!

22. I reposted parts of this article on my blog and I got the following comments:

Anonymous said…

You made a mistake, he’s not left-wing but right-wing.
    August 21, 2010 9:19 PM

Anonymous said…

Gutfeld is a rightwing asshole on FOX. Among others, GLAAD has called him out on homophobic remarks that he justifies by saying they were “jokes”. He’s disgusting and not funny.

I used to watch FOX Tv on a regular basis just for the fun of it but I no longer have access to it. Could someone at PinkNews or a reader of Pink News elaborate on these 2 comments?

23. Simon.Murphy: “Islam is a useless belief system (as is christianity, judaism, hinduism, sikhism etc). But I get worried when I see muslim people being demonised.”

Yes, but Islam is the only one that forces it’s believers to take over wherever possible, and either convert, or kill.

Look at every major worldwide conflict in the last 40 years, and they have been in the middle of it.

If they attack us, we have every right to reciprocate.