Lady Gaga hits out at ‘God Hates Fags’ church

1. There is no part of the Bible which states homosexuality is wrong. Perhaps they have written their own to suit their agenda of hatred.

1. justthetruth 26 Feb 2011, 5:33pm

actually there is. i don’t agree with it, i am not christian, and i hate those precepts, but here it is.

1. Actually, no.

See, the thing is, the Bible originally didn’t state anything about homosexuality. Oh, it does NOW… but the sad fact is that it has been mistranslated over the years, both accidental and on purpose (looking at you, King James). The passages people assume are about homosexuality are actually about temple prostitution and male/male rape.

2. Even if I was a christian I wouldn’t have any problem with standing up.

2. Have you not read the law on fornication in the bible and the law on sodomy?

1. I’ll just share my link again:

The Bible condemned temple prostitution (since it was idolatry among other things) and male/male rape (because men were generally supposed to be equal and while a man could rape his wife it was seen as an insult to rape a man of equal standing). It did not condemn homosexuality until people started messing with translations.

1. the comment was not for you. I do not communicate with gross liars. You may assume that any further comments of mineare intended for someone other than yourself.

1. eewww a gross liar!!! look at you ppl, taking orders from a book, written by men allegedly from the word of god. You people make me sick! You allege to be people of god and the book but you preach so much hate and disdain for everyone you disagree with. How about the portion of your great book that tells you to forgive everyone and to not judge people because that is “god’s” job to do? Are you all so arrogant that you think you should be doing “god’s” job for him because he cannot do it himself? I wish all of you fake christian, hate-mongering, war-mongering, selfish, arrogant, pompous freaks an eternity of whatever you think hell is!

2. I really don’t understand why gay websites keep reporting on the westboro Baptist church.

This church (or family)m are not mainstream. They are a tiny church of about 100 members. They are universally condemned (even by other homophobic groups as being insane bigots)

They need to be starved of the oxygen of publiciity that gay sites seem so willing to give them.

1. Religion is a racket and should be banned. Any practice that causes harm to society should be banned including fornication which spreads diseases which kill even innocent babies.

3. “There is no part of the Bible which states homosexuality is wrong.”

Even if there is condemnation of homosexuality in the the bible, it is entirely irrelevant.

In the recent Jackie Collins opus ‘Hollywood Divorces’ there is a statement which says that homosexuality is a good thing.

‘Hollywood Divorces’ is also a work of fiction but seeing as it was written in the last 10 years, it should be held in higher respect that the bible.

4. Thank you Lady Gaga (God/he she loves you!) :-)

5. Jim: “There is no part of the Bible which states homosexuality is wrong.”
    Crap. There are a number of passages that state that it indeed is.
    Know thine enemy.

StephenC: “The bible is a work of fiction written to give meaning to the lives of desert-dwelling, illiterate peasants, thousands of years ago. ”

I doubt it is all fiction, and much is based on real world events of that time. I would be highly sceptical about a lot of the “God” stuff, but there is a lot of very good, moral and decent things to be learnt from the Bible purely as a reference book.
    I think the biggest problem is not the Bible itself, but how it has been interpreted over the years. I am a total athiest, but I see the Bible is no more harmful than say, “The Art of War”, or even “Mein Kampf” – Books should always be respected for what they are, but as guides, not rulebooks to be devotedly followed.

6. I hold the opinion that god does not exist, and therefore cannot possibly hate anything or anyone.
    The diversity of different religious belief and opinion makes the likelihood of any particular god holding a particular viewpoint on any issue highly improbable.
    Do these people have nothing better to do, if they truly believe in a god then do they not ponder that speaking on his or indeed her behalf might anger their deity.
    I pity the deluded fools.

7. Seriously they’re nothing but attention seeking freaks giving them attention like this only makes them think they’re important

8. Har Davids 19 Jul 2010, 7:35pm

Wouldn’t it be easier if the Westboro Bigots made placards with the names of people they don’t hate, they would save a lot of time and money? And Gaga is right, ignore them or use the weapon of ridicule, they’ll hate that.

9. Fred Phelps has a massive Noah complex. His take on the bible is that only Fred Phelps and his family and other Westboro Baptists are excluded from god’s wrath. Everyone else is destined for hell.
    On that basis, Hell looks like a much nicer neighbourhood than Heaven when you consider the people you’ll be lumped in with for eternity!
    Must do some more sinning…

10. Go gaga for lady gaga. She sticks up for us even when she doesn’t have to! Way to be. You’re my hero m’lady!!!

11. Anjy Shackleford 19 Jul 2010, 8:21pm

Hate the sin, not the sinner! God hates nobody! God is full of love He possesses no hatred. He loves all! No sin is any worse than another (lie, murder, steal, judging others), they’re all the same in God’s eyes. If you judge me for being gay, you’re just as wrong as you think I am!

12. Lady Gaga makes a good point but lets down those of us who don’t believe in sky-fairies, gods and all the other supernatural inventions of the human mind. Telling her fans to pray for anyone is pretty presumptuous and insensitive. And just what is the gibberish written here by ‘Anjy Shackleford’ supposed to be about?

13. Dr Robin Guthrie 19 Jul 2010, 9:39pm

Anjy.

I have never sinned. I have loved.

Organized religion is the biggest sinner on this planet.

The God of Christianity is a superior nutcase who kills babies et al in order to suit his non existent self should you believe in such garbage.

All as recorded in your bible.

Both of them. New and Old as dictated by English Kings.

Or is that all of the revisions, not including the church approved ones.

I assume you cursorily glanced at one of them, this one being the one you condemn yourself by.

Here I am stupidly thinking that your God gave you a brain.

Obviously not.

You read what a few peasant men said 2000 years ago and take it as fact.

There is clearly no hope for humanity when people like you, so indoctrinated into this tripe come onto a UK forum condemning your own existence.

All as a result of f”’in religion.

I feel tremendously sorry for you. Hating yourself so much.

However take your religion and stuff it where sunny don’t shine.

This forum neither want’s it nor needs it.

Perhaps Sarah Palin can give you a good kicking. She hates your existence too.

And … OOPS. you misted out the 10 commandments in thy shall not steal, murder etc.

One can assume that you have no idea whatsoever about your “good” book.

An asylum awaits……

1. God DOES exist, no matter what you, some idiotic, close minded, stupid arrogant little brat says. The bible was not written by some “peasant men” 2000 years ago, anyone with half a brain and an IQ of 10 knows that the bible was written over a period of several thousand years. It is easy to presume that God does not exist but the actual truth is that you don’t and never will, (at least not while you’re still alive) know for sure if he doesn’t exist. I am sick and tired of people coming out with this crap about how the bible is a “work of fiction”- NO.IT.IS.NOT

1. amandanectar 2 Jan 2012, 4:45pm

the bible was written by men to control the population. It is the biggest form of social control I know of. Now lets debate whether this is fiction or not, personally I would say it is. Lets take Henry the eight, king of England for example. Yes he changed the bible to allow his divorce and that’s before you do the lost in translation argument. How many here are wiling to believe Chinese whispers to be truth?? This book has been changed to suit society over many centuries, so that begs the question, what is original and what has been added on when a new problem popped up in society that needed to be stamped upon? I as a lesbian have never condoned violence and murder, religion on the other hand, has blood all over it (spanish inquisition for example & witch finder general drowning innocent women who were slightly dubious). Now isnt that a bit strange for Christianity to preach acceptance, love and compassion? for me it just doesnt sit well, along with stoning your wife !

1. amandanectar 2 Jan 2012, 4:56pm

Finally does god exist? I dont know and neither do you, so for you to say god definitely does exist is just as wrong as me saying god does not. You or I do not know for definite until the day we become a worm feast. This is the bit I detest the most about Christians, you have no more right to impose your views onto me as I have to you. Love your religion, me? Im going to carry on enjoying my open mind. Please respect that. In the meantime if I do find religion then OK, but until then, Im not scared of my death, and I do not need an unproven story to give me comfort and quench my fears that when my end is nigh, my spirit will live on…. heaven must be extremely overcrowded by now. ;-) enjoy?

1. Your comment made no sense to me. The Bible does not condone stoning your wife. It tells stories where people stoned there wifes because it is basically given you a background of what it was like back than. In fact! Jesus STOPPED people from stoning a women for her sins saying that
            “Whoever is without sin can cast the first stone.” he was saying none of you are without sin so you can’t judge this woman for hers. He was without sin though. He could have stoned her if he wanted but he didn’t. He forgave her and let her go. Jesus is the best figure for equality I have ever seen! He broke down barriers between all types of people. Take the story where he talked to the Samaritan woman at the well when he was a Jewish man. That was unheard of back than! He would even condem the church for preaching lies! I enjoy my relationship with God and won’t press it on you but I wanted to state some facts for you about the Bible. The Bible has been proved again and again for many years.

2. Some Bibles have probably been changed out there but not all of them. I do not agree or condone what this crazy church is doing. They make the rest of us look like horrible people. There are bad churches bad Christians out there but not all of us are. That would be judging us to say we are all the same. I do not believe anything these quacks are saying and from a Christian I open heartily apologize for what they say. They have no right to say what they say and God will deal with them on judgement day. Props to Lady Gaga for standing up. I hope you have a nice day to day :)

14. TheyNeedASwiftKick 20 Jul 2010, 1:53am

This is heartwarming! I was wondering when Gaga would fire back at the cult (and especially @meganphelps who redid the Lady’s and Beyonce’s “Telephone” – which i recommend watching, as it shows just how bat-sht crazy this “church” is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_NXbnxu1Yc ).
    Way to be, St. Louis!

1. They’ve also done a few others. Just wondering if, as they have used her music and i doubt paid royalties, she could sue them for all they are worth (not much admittedly) then donate that money to gay charities, Obama, Help For Hero’s etc now that would be fun

15. Dr Robin Guthrie: “I have never sinned. I have loved.”
    In that case, would you mind awfully casting the first stone please?

16. I love this woman.

She is incredibly talented AND she’s a vocal supporter of LGBT rights.

17. Dr Robin Guthrie 20 Jul 2010, 10:14am

Spanner.

How can I have sinned, when I am an aethiest and do not believe in the concept.

Explain that.

18. jonnielondon 20 Jul 2010, 2:18pm

Their attempts at protest have been unsuccessful in Canada. Due to the hate laws in place it makes it impossible for idiots like them to do their dirty work here. Too bad the US constitution is so black and white when it comes to freedom of speech. When these words and actions are so damaging to a whole group, then, there needs to be some balance.

19. God hates the Westboro Baptist Church.

I may not agree with Lady Gaga’s opinion that we should pray for them (since I’m not religious), but at least her message is a message of love, not hate. If there were more Lady Gagas in the world it would be a better place… I can’t say the same for those who seek to condemn her for her sexuality.

20. Oh God what crap one of the comments above is – Im glad she says pray for them. Its the perfect and only solution. if we hate them then were no different. Weve got to leanrn and stop the cycle of hate somewhere. Good for her saying pray for them. Praying doesnt just have to be about god – its just mediation, spiritua, focussing your thoughts and feelings onto something. I love Gaga. hooray for her :-)

21. Nice one Lady Gaga – thank you :-)

1. I agree . . . No gagging Lady Gaga

22. @Spanner. I say again – there are no passages in the Bible which say homosexuality is wrong. If you disagree with that statement then perhaps you’d like to back it up with the relevant verses and reference points so I can prove you wrong. What you later say is true about misinterpretation. The Bible was written over many years and started out in different languages. To understand the Bible you would need to go back to the original texts and become an expert in language translation.

The Bible was written by human beings – and none of us are perfect when it comes to taking down notes. This is precisely why it should not be followed to the letter. Imagine what the world would be like if we did. No-one would be wearing mixed fibres and eating certain kinds of foods.

Putting the Bible to one side my belief is that love is the most important thing. What many religious extremists fail to understand is that mutual consenting love should be more important than religion.

23. First off love how stupid this church is. The very God that they so call preach about is a God of Love so how can he hate fags or shrimp, yes there is another group about God hating shrimp. There is a true difference between Christianity and Religion. Religion is organized and developed by man. Christianity is based on faith, faith in Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour.

If the church is so worried about getting people into heaven then they will start looking in their own pews. You have churches who know people are living in sin without the vow of marriage, allowing pre-marital sex and not saying a word. When is the last time that you heard a preacher condemn these acts. The religous church dont want to look at its ownself and realize that it is condoning sin. You have many who are having affairs, stealing people blind, etc and you dont hear about this in the church. The religious church is so busy pointing out everyone elses sin that they are not looking at their own and acknowledging it but playing a game of distraction.

Its a shame that the religious community cant become Christian and learn to love one another. I think of Tammy Faye Bakker Messner and how she interacted with the sinners, str8, gay alike and while she would tell you she did not approve, she did still love everyone. Now thats a true Christian.

24. Corey Mondello 4 Aug 2010, 10:28pm

“The United States of America should have a foundation free from the influence of clergy.”
    ~ George Washington

“Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites.”
    ~ Thomas Jefferson

“The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter.” ~ Thomas Jefferson wrote, in a letter to John Adams (April 11, 1823)

“All national institutions of churches whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit. … My own mind is my own church.” ~ Thomas Paine ‘The Age of Reason (1794)’

“As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.”
    ~ Tripoli of Barbary. Art. 11. – Authored by American diplomat Joel Barlow in 1796, the following treaty was sent to the floor of the Senate, June 7, 1797, where it was read aloud in its entirety and unanimously approved. John Adams, having seen the treaty, signed it and proudly proclaimed it to the Nation.

“The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion”.
    ~ Thomas Paine

“The number, the industry, and the morality of the Priesthood and the devotion of the people have been manifestly increased by the total separation of the Church and the State.”
    ~ James Madison a.k.a. ‘The Father of the Constitution of the United States of America

25. darkmoonman 11 Oct 2010, 4:45pm

Hate them? Ignore them? How about this: go out and do something for your fellow-man to reduce his suffering.

26. John Bovay 18 Feb 2011, 7:47am

A proposal: a Halloween costume contest where various groups of LGBT’ers dress up like members of the W.B.C. (with additional points being awarded for placard creativity). :D

27. John Bovay 18 Feb 2011, 7:51am

@Corey Mondello. Thanks for posting those quotes. They’ll come in handy.

28. Corey Mondello – ditto – thanks for the quotes, especially Jefferson’s, who I already knew was a classic Enlightenment sceptic. The number of American bible-bashers who claim the Founding Fathers as initiating a nation ‘under God’ in their terms is ludicrous.

29. i think people who is religious are rather callous…

30. Riley Smith 18 Feb 2011, 6:32pm

This is what the old testament says, everyone wants to use the bible to prove homosexuals are evil and are going to hell or whatever. well, im gonna use the bible to prove them wrong.

You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination. (NKJ, Leviticus 18:22)

If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them. (NKJ, Leviticus 20:13)

Life was harsh in early Old Testament times. The wanderings and struggle for survival of the Israelites did not permit prisons or rehabilitation. Anyone who deviated seriously from the norm was either stoned to death or exiled. The Old Testament prescribed the death penalty for the crimes of murder, attacking or cursing a parent, kidnapping, failure to confine a dangerous animal resulting in death, witchcraft and sorcery, sex with an animal, doing work on the Sabbath, incest, adultery, homosexual acts, prostitution by a priest’s daughter, blasphemy, false prophecy, perjury in capital cases and false claim of a woman’s virginity at the time of marriage.

It must be emphasized that, according to the New Testament, we are no longer under the harsh Old Testament Law (John 1:16-17, Romans 8:1-3, 1 Corinthians 9:20-21). The concern with punishment is now secondary to Jesus’ message of repentance and redemption. Both reward and punishment are seen as properly taking place in eternity, rather than in this life.

In Old Testament times, homosexual activity was strongly associated with idolatrous cult prostitution as in 1 Kings 14:24, 15:12. (There was also cult prostitution by females.) In fact, the word “abomination,” used in both mentions of homosexual acts in Leviticus, is a translation of the Hebrew word tow’ ebah which, according to Strong’s Greek/Hebrew Dictionary, means something morally disgusting, but it also has a strong implication of idolatry. Thus, many Bible scholars believe the condemnations in Leviticus are more a condemnation of the idolatry than of the homosexual acts themselves. However, that interpretation is not certain.

New Testament
    Jesus never mentioned homosexuality, but He did condemn all forms of sexual immorality:

What comes out of you is what defiles you. For from within, out of your hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. All these evils come from inside and defile you. (TNIV, Mark 7:20-23)

The apostle Paul, in one of his letters to the Corinthians, wrote the verses most often quoted on this subject:

Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. (NIV, 1st Corinthians 6:9-11)
    Same-sex Marriage
    There is no mention of same-sex marriages or partnerships in the Bible, either for or against. The omission is probably because these issues were not even considered in Biblical times.

this is the website i got all this above information from:

lets just remember this as well, in the old tetament it says that any child who dishoners their mother or father should be stoned to death.
    still want to take everything so literally?

stop hating, i am talking to everyone, not just the people who hate against homosexuals. be open minded and learn to stop your emotional reactions whenever you hear, see, smell, taste, or feel something that you don’t understand and try to understand how the other person is feeling. you can’t tell someone that the way they feel is wrong, because how someone feels is real to them. it’s like telling someone who is clinically depressed to stop being sad. it doesnt work does it? we could be saving so much time by working together to solve OUR worlds problems instead of spending years fighting with each other and never getting anywhere. idk, this is my opinion you all will probably think im crazy lol but i try to live by this. it really helps me out through a lot of tough situations.

love you all!

31. MyLyricalDreams 19 Feb 2011, 12:13am

These people are beyond pathetic. They would be happy being in the past with no electricity, black slaves and people kept in the dark about evolution.

I must have missed it during my bedtime reading, but I don’t recall any bible quoting ‘God loves everyone, except Queers!’ But hey, that’s just me.

Also the fact that Jesus supposedly died on the cross for ALL our sins to come and if homosexuality is indeed a ‘sin’, then it makes their points redundant as we’re all going to that glorious place in the sky regardless of whom we may ‘lay with’.

Irony huh?

32. Might of been more productive just to let all of her fans on the bunch of brain washed mentally defective retards. Then they can go to heaven and see if they are rewarded for the amount of hate and upset they have caused to so many people from all walks of life ..Or they will just be dead. Win – Win

33. If God hates Lady Gaga, I wonder if He/She/It is excruciatingly embarrassed by Westboro Baptist Church?

34. Leah Arielle 14 Mar 2012, 7:46pm

THIS is why i love Gaga.
    Aside from the fact that she is a creative GENIUS, a gorgeous and incredible woman, and a brilliant performer, she actually CARES about people.
    What courage.
    Don’t be a drag…just be a queen.

35. For anyone to tell anyone that god hates is a contradiction of god. Recalling from the bible if you contradict god you are sinful and blasphemous and your salvation is to ask his forgiveness. It also states that changing what the bible says is a sin….So I feel bad for all these christians who are too weak minded to pursue their own thoughts and opinions.