Warren Beatty’s child ‘living as a trans man’

1. Pumpkin Pie 18 Jun 2010, 3:01pm

“She repeatedly told her parents that once she turns 18 she would take matters into her own hands.”

It’s such a shame that trans children need their parents’ permission to even live their lives properly. Not everyone’s lucky enough to have enlightened parents, as this poor young man would know all too well. For transsexuals who identify their situation early, it is imperative that they be allowed to transition as soon as possible – with or without their parents’ permission (they will still be analysed by professionals, so we wouldn’t be opening up some Pandora’s box of children making “crazy” demands and getting everything they demand). This isn’t one of those “wait and see, tomorrow’s as good as today” kind of situations. Being forced to live as a gender you don’t identify as can have serious repercussions for a person’s mental health.

2. Good on Steven! If you can’t live your life as the person you want to be, it’s not worth living at all. Warren Beatty can be ‘beside himself’ all he wants, Steven is an adult and absolutely has the right to make whatever choice he wants to about his identity. Children rarely turn out as the parents imagined, and part of being a good parent is accepting that and dealing with it in the knowledge that only your child can choose their direction in life.

3. I wish him well and hope he is not too damaged by his family trying to stop him.

Its not too hard to use the right pronouns to describe someone who is transsexual PinkNews!

4. If his father is “devastated” by the fact that his is a guy, then that is Warren’s problem to deal with. Its very sad that his dad’s reaction will make things difficult for Stephen when he’s already got a lot on his plate.

5. Jess Conrad 18 Jun 2010, 5:01pm

These Holliwood Actors Like Acting even in their private Lives..Silly Man!!

6. Yet again another story that Pink News cannot even get pronouns right.

Is is worrying when your own community reports cannot be bother to make an effort….scary!!!

7. Jessica Geen 18 Jun 2010, 5:16pm

We have referred to Stephen as male. We cannot help it if other reports, quoted here, do not use the correct pronoun. We usually do not change quotes.

Editor.

8. vulpus_rex 18 Jun 2010, 5:24pm

1. How do you know that your gender id matches with the one you were assigned at birth? I’d love to know why no-ones ever explained that to me?

It works both ways vulpus I can’t explain it but you do just ‘know’. Ever since I learned what trans* was, ever since I started being referred to as male and using male pronouns I have never had one second of doubt that this was right and normal and how I should be. I’m really really sorry we can’t satisfy your curiosity on this one but we just can’t.

9. “Whereas I don’t actually give a damn how and in which body anyone wants to live I have still yet to read of or hear an explanation of how a transexual “knows” they were born the wrong sex.

All it ever comes back to is I “just know”. Not that it matters in a sense, but it would be helpful to know next time I am stuck listening to someone tell me that transition is a surgical resolution of a psychological issue.”

How do you know you’re whatever gender you identify as? Apart from the fact you might be lucky enough to have a body that mirrors it.

I “know” I’m male because having had to live as a girl for seventeen years left me completely distressed, hating my body, utterly awkward, not understanding myself and incredibly depressed. It’s not something anyone can really put into words, that’s probably why you haven’t read it. It’s just a complete discomfort with the gender I was bought up as, for me. Thinking about living as female feels totally wrong, just as it would for you thinking about living in a male body as a man or vice versa.

Transgenderism is also not a psychological issue. It’s a medical condition and research is now pointing to hormone imbalances in the womb to be the cause of it. Although this is just a theory at the moment. On post mortems of trans people (only a few, admittedly, there’s not many of us) research found that trans women actually had female brains (men and women have differences in their brains) and the one trans man that was looked at had a male brain.

Aside – It’s not pink news’ fault the quotes are using the wrong pronouns! They’re quotes, not from the writer..

although I don’t really see why this is news tbh..

10. OrtharRrith 18 Jun 2010, 9:26pm

All it ever comes back to is I “just know”. Not that it matters in a sense, but it would be helpful to know next time I am stuck listening to someone tell me that transition is a surgical resolution of a psychological issue. ”

Try living as the gender you feel you are not for a while. Better still if people around you actually believe you ARE that gender, even though you know you aren’t. That people refure to you as that gender, using that genders name for you and that genders pronouns. That if you then denied it, if you then said that you weren’t; then they’d look at you as if you were insane, perhaps laugh and riducule you, or maybe even verbally or in the worse cases physically assualt you. You can fight it all you want, but people still refure to you as the gender then,
    IF you can do that THEN you’d get some understanding of how we know – of course you’d get to change back without any problem, where as trans-people can’t change to the gender we know we are without medical help.
    Does that help you a little?

11. Pink News, I agree that you can’t alter direct quotes, you can get around the problem with indirect atributions. i.e you can report the gist of the comment without using the actual words employed by the speaker.

1. or even put the change in brackets ‘they are said to be distraught over [his] decision’

12. Never understood quite well if nowadays trans males do have some kind of prosthetic or surgically constructed male genitalia though. Obviously I don’t mean a fully working one. That’s why I think it’s harder for them. Even so, the mind have their own ways and reasons, and in today’s world less and less people is pleased with what nature gave you, whether it’s for beauty or for gender or aging etc.. Don’t know where it’s the limit between righteous correction and the mind’s insatiability with one’s idealized self. In the end I guess as long that makes you happy without being risky for your health or the product of an evaluated mental pathology it’s becoming acceptable.

13. I don’t really think this should be reported, tbh. Is this going to make it harder for Steven once people from his new university know that he is a trans-man through the media? I certainly hope not- and that he keeps his head held high! I’m glad he’s making the transition to who he knows he is, with or without his family’s consent.

14. It is recommended to hold suspect anything reported by, “the US tabloid magazine National Enquirer.” That magazine is generally nonsense. Their statements regarding Beatty’s and Bening’s reactions only mean that the two have offered something between 100% support and glee or utter disappointment. This is the same magazine that spent weeks, perhaps months, yelling on their front page that Obama had sex with Vera Baker, only to retract the story at a later date. It seems there was no evidence for the claim.

All that said, good luck to Stephen! It can be a rough journey no matter how much one knows it to be necessary.

15. Jess Conrad 20 Jun 2010, 3:45pm

VULPUS REX…..YOU ARE A COMPLETE PRAT!!

16. @Jess Conrad – no he’s not, and there’s no need to shout at him. Or her. Sorry.
    Vulpus rex just doesn’t understand and I can see why you wouldn’t if you’ve never met anyone who’s trans or anything – it’s hard to explain, that doesn’t mean that people who don’t get it because they’ve never lived it are idiots.

17. Steven in Shanghai 21 Jun 2010, 7:22am

In regards to the previous article which stated that Pinknews did not out Laws even thought they knew he was gay was because it was the policy of this site to only out bigots. Why then are you adding media fuel to the fire by spreading this report when the child in question has made no indication that they want this reported.

Seriously the last thing that this 18year old kid needs is to be outed on this side of the pacific.

18. If you can’t live your life as the person you want to be, it’s not worth living at all.

I want to be a millionaire … oh well!

19. being trans has been explained a lot over many many comments pages and vulpus has had it explained to them on one or two. they either dont want to understand or their trolling. perhaps someone should performa sex change on them, then theyd know what its like to be trans.

20. Well…… !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You cannot expect people to understand this… you cannot explain a man that was born blind what it is like to see…. and you cant force people to imagine what it would be like to be terminally ill…themselves….You dont want people to understand what you are going through….Its so normal for them, that they are either male or female… you can ask them why the sun shines… and they would not know…. so why is a female a female… just because…. but why are transgenders unhappy? So many reasons you cannot even begin to describe it. I am a transwoman…and if I sold my body to 100 men a day… I would still get more credit and respect as a woman then I do now….You dont want to imagine this and you better not try…its too dark to dive into…. thats why for many of us transitioning is a matter of life and death…I hope their son will be happy. xx

21. Just don’t get why trans people get put in the same group as gay people. LGBT. LGB is sexual orientation. T is genetics. Odd.

22. I’m not sure why everyone is having a go at Pinknews’s use of the Pronoun. The only uses of it as in “speech bubbles” – because they are quoting directly from one of the ignorant people who can’t use pronouns correctly!