Police reassure cruisers after married officer spied on gay lovers

1. You can Never trust a closet case.

As this story amply illustrates.

2. Ummmmm Food for thought indeed.

It has been brought to my attention that one UK police force is collecting used condoms from cruising sites for DNA profiling – and then subsequently patrolling such sites asking for cheek swabs from those men who are seen there. Evidently a refusal to provide the sample results in your car registration number being noted.

This is anecdotal information – but if true surely is a cause for concern?

3. ChutneyBear 11 Jun 2010, 1:17pm

I trust closet cases more than I do screaming queens and this comes from experience. On the scene I have one friend who dated a guy who was open and he outed him to friends and family, it was none of his business to out him to anyone.

Concerend, thats like my mother being told not to wash her hair when she had her period as she would get a brain hammeorage, you are either mentally challenged or seriously have the IQ of a concrete block…

4. Yes but closet cases only loyality is to themselves and their secret sexuality.

A closet case is not a true friend to his straight friends or family as he is constantly lying to them. I don’t trust a liar.

A closet case is not a true friend to his gay friends either as he will ignore or disown them, if associating with them arouses suspicion among other people.

By and large I find closet cases to be contemptible cowards.

The policeman in this story was not onlly cowardly and dishonest but criminal.

5. “I trust closet cases more than I do screaming queens”

Fair enough. But the opposite of being a closet case is being openly gay. It is not in being a ‘screaming queen’.

Being openly gay does not mean being a screaming queen.

6. BrazilBoysBlog 11 Jun 2010, 1:45pm

@3 What a totally intelligent comment.. (not)

And ´closet cases´ are trustworthy…. why?

Closet cases often leave themselves open to blackmail from various sources.. Closet cases have been some of the worst homophobes that gay people have had to endure. (look at some of the religious nutters in the USA)

Sorry, but whilst it is a persons own choice whether to come out or not, to suggest that someone who is able to be totally honest with everyone (and themselves) is somehow not trustworthy, or a ´screaming queen´ speaks volumes about your logic?

7. Being in the closet breeds dishonesty, lying and cheating and impacts every part of your life. Negative qualities to say the least. Who would want to get involved with someone like that. This man actually lied to his wife when he took his marriage vows, so in a sense, his marriage is a sham, a lie. Utterly contemptible and deserving of our scorn.

8. ChutneyBear 11 Jun 2010, 2:45pm

Brazil boys I love the way how you infer that what I am saying implies the opposite of closeted is screaming queen, Im just talking about two ends of the spectrum. Being in the closet for some people is an option, we all dont have the luxury of supportive families or great friends (I have been blessed) so try and see things from their perspective. I notice a lot of you think a closet case is not trust worthy, the queens I encounter on the other hand are worse, driving young lads who are just out or want to come out from the scene. I think we have completley opposite opinions lads and I dont think we will agree on this one…..

9. pete the meat 11 Jun 2010, 2:56pm

Re. the comment: “It has been brought to my attention that one UK police force is collecting used condoms from cruising sites for DNA profiling – and then subsequently patrolling such sites asking for cheek swabs from those men who are seen there. Evidently a refusal to provide the sample results in your car registration number being noted”…………WTF?? A conspiracy theory on a par with the Kennedy Assassination or the da Vinci Code. Its unbelievable on so many levels collecting used johnnies and then taking random swabs from guys on the off chance dna profiles match? umm yeah.

10. Mihangel apYrs 11 Jun 2010, 3:44pm

he received a slap on the wrist for what is a severe breach of trust.

The police and others have been given teh authority to spy on people, and to record data about them nationally. These powers were given to them on the understanding that they would be kept securely and confidentially. Any slippage here should be seen as extremely serious whatever the motive, and punished accordingly.

He may lose his job, but it’s not really enough: it doesn’t send the right message to others!

11. Some crude generalisations on here. You don’t have to be treacherous and destructive if you’re a closet case, but it certainly creates pressures which encourage such behaviour. In principle it is extremely unhealthy, if only for yourself. Silence and lies about your real self are hugely corrosive. This policeman’s closetry drove him to intrusive paranoia enormously facilitated by the powers his job gave him.
    I agree that he is being let off too lightly.

12. There are probably at least as many bi men as there are gay men. When bi men come out they are assumed by both straight and gay communities to be gay men who are afraid to come fully out of the closet. Isn’t sexuality more complex than being gay or straight and even varies during the course of a lifetime? What is inexcusable however are bi or gay men who are in public homophobic.

13. Sister Mary Clarance 11 Jun 2010, 10:05pm

Am I right in thinking here he was able to access information from the new NHS database, that we’re all being advised to opt out of?

14. BrazilBoysBlog 12 Jun 2010, 12:23am

@8 “Brazil boys I love the way how you infer that what I am saying implies the opposite of closeted is screaming queen”…

Well yes, how it was written gave exactly that impression. Sorry if that was never meant to be the case, and if you of course were not acknowledging the myriad of people who are in between those two extremes.. Understandable to draw that inference from what you wrote as many others seemed to get the same message.

I agree about there being very little option for some people other than being in the closet, that is why I said that I believe it should be up to eat person to decide if they will come out.

However, I still say that for those not able to come out, or who end-up living a lie to everyone they know, this can be very bad for everyone, themselves included.

These people often account for the most vocal of homophobes also. My point of issue was that saying ´I would rather trust a closet case than a screaming queen´ is again a bit too much of a generalisation? Both have their good and bad sides..

15. Regarding my comment no 2- although I also found it hard to believe-I am receiving confirmation that it is actually happening.

16. “I notice a lot of you think a closet case is not trust worthy, the queens I encounter on the other hand are worse” (ChutneyBear)

So do are you trying to say on a personal level nither QUEENS nor CLOSET CASES are trust worthy but on a sliding scale ?

“Driving young lads who are just out or want to come out from the scene.” (ChutneyBear)

Do you qualify life by what you SEE on the sceen ?

“Im just talking about two ends of the spectrum.” (ChutneyBear)

I think you need to LOOK at this spectrum that you write about

Whilst i do not allways agree with what the BrazilBoysBlog write on this matter i think it is balanced and could inform you on this one ChutneyBear ?

17. it sounds as if he was using the police intelligence system which can only be used for a policing purpose and not for personal snooping.

interesting how the reaction differs to closeted men depending on who they are. Some who come out of marriages seem to get enormous sympathy for their “struggle” whilst others are condemned as disgusting cowards e.g. recent case of crispin blunt MP compared to rugger hottie Gareth Thomas who received a much more sypathetic response despite the fact that both men were in the closet for many years and cheated on their wives (certainly in GT’s case, don’t know about Blunt but I dare say he frequented the odd public lav).