Elton John performs at US shock jock Rush Limbaugh’s wedding

1. So now Rush Limbaugh is in favour of the gays when they’re a famous pop singer? Now, not only is he a vile homophobe, but he’s a complete hypocrite as well.
    Here’s my favourite Rush Limbaugh statement;
    “…let’s say we discover the gene that says the kid’s gonna be gay. How many parents, if they knew before the kid was gonna be born, [that he] was gonna be gay, they would take the pregnancy to term? Well, you don’t know but let’s say half of them said, “Oh, no, I don’t wanna do that to a kid.” [Then the] gay community finds out about this. The gay community would do the fastest 180 and become pro-life faster than anybody you’ve ever seen. … They’d be so against abortion if it was discovered that you could abort what you knew were gonna be gay babies.”

Such a lovely man, and Elton John was happy to go and do this? Is he that skint?

2. I think Elton should donate the entire £1 million fee from this idiot to his AIDS foundation. At least then some good would come from the irony of someone who’s gotten rich on the back of being a racist, sexist homophobe, having their money going towards a good cause.

I’m very disappointed that Elton will sell his services to someone so despicable so long as the price is right.

3. I’m no fan of the guy but Limbaugh is for civil unions and other rights for gays and he is on record saying so.

4. The Halcyon 7 Jun 2010, 3:50pm

Richard Desmond, former owner of Attitude magazine, was once quizzed on why he owned such a magazine when he has made public statements against LGB people. He said something along the lines of “I don’t care, I can use their money to fight them later”. It’s exactly the same thing, Elton could use the money to fight any anti-gay ordinances/legislation, donate it to his AIDS foundation etc

I think it funny how Mr Gods and Morals is on his FOURTH wife…

5. “I’m no fan of the guy but Limbaugh is for civil unions and other rights for gays and he is on record saying so.”

6. Elton John is a vile opportunist.

His duet at the Grammies with Eminem should have alerted everyone to the fact that despite he professed commitment to equality, he has no problem accepting money or publicity from associating with disgusting bigotry

7. I apologise if there’s going to be a double post but my comment seems to have disappeared.

As far as I know, EJ is on record saying marriage is for opposite sex couples only and he’s not for same-sex marriage so where’s the shocker if this guy is also for civil unions?

8. Whatever reason Elton John had for doing this, it certainly wasn’t for money.

9. Mihangel apYrs 7 Jun 2010, 4:42pm

Limbough is a ostentatious hypocrite: marriage is supposed to be sacred and for life according to their holy book. 4 Wives smacks of serial polygamy, hardly the unique union preached by THEIR saviour

10. vulpus_rex 7 Jun 2010, 4:55pm

The most alarming thing about this story is that apparently someone was stupid enough to pay $1,000,000 to have Elton John croak his way through one of his treacley jingles.

To this day I still cringe every time I see a re-run of EJ turning Di’s funeral into a low-brow, weep fest.

Simon – you still haven’t answered – why have you changed your name to Martin?

11. Joe In California 7 Jun 2010, 5:36pm

I truly believe that Elton has a very good reason for this, besides the money. I hope it’s political. Whatever comes of it, it will be in the LGBT Community’s favour!

12. Chameleon 7 Jun 2010, 6:22pm

Vulpus@10 – are you suggesting that Diana’s funeral wasn’t ‘a low-brow, weep fest’ before Elton sang? And do you have evidence that MarinM is in fact none other than Simon Murphy, latterly SimonM, and aka the Smurph? Astonishing, though I must admit I’d wondered if they were brothers. Something familiar in the tone …

Do people still waste time expecting EJ to be rational and consistent?

13. Brett Gibson 7 Jun 2010, 6:22pm

Doesn’t agree with Gay Marriage, but he can get married four times no problem, such sanctity of marriage, hypocrite.

14. There are times when I think Elton’s the guy John Lennon was refering to when he said “She’d go to the opening of a door”.
    The sheer cognative dissonance of EJ never ceases to amaze me, duetting with Eminem and now this? How long before he shows up at a BNP fundraiser?

15. Elton will do anything for money and to further his career by living off other artists talents

16. I can’t find any aspect of this story that isn’t distasteful.

17. Obviously, Elton John, a supposed stalwart of the gay community has less integrity than I previously assumed. This is yet another kick in the teeth to the gay community to add to the ever expanding list of negative news just this year alone.

18. Elton John has a disturbing history of pandering to homophobes. I would boycott him, but I never buy his crappy music anyway.

19. Really sad story

20. “Yeah, couple with his other statements about people wanting to abort pregnancies if they thought the child might be gay, he’s a real pal!”

Limbaugh? Pro-abortion? Don’t be ridiculous. Cite the source for that one. He said some people would abort if a gay gene was identified, but then we all know that, but the idea that he’s a baby killing advocate is ludicrous.

Isn’t that true?

Limbaugh told his biographer, Zev Chafetz, he supports civil unions for gay couples instead of marriage – a point on which Limbaugh and our Elton agree.

“I don’t want to be married,” said Elton in 2005 when he and David Furnish tied the knot. “If gay people want to get married or get together, they should have a civil partnership. The word ‘marriage,’ I think, puts a lot of people off.”

21. Of course, what Elton should have said was:

“I don’t want to be married again…!”

22. I’m not surprised that were seen as a bunch of idiots.

23. No 8: Martin: “Whatever reason Elton John had for doing this, it certainly wasn’t for money. ”

Oh really?

And which gay charitable organisation has that disgusting opportunist Elton JOhn donated his $1,000,000 fee.

I mean if he has a shred of integrity he will not want to financially benefit from bigotry?

Then again he doesn’t have a shred of dignity or integrity.

His duet with Eminem should have alerted us to that.

I’m still called Simon by the way. But I think I was banned from using that name on this site as 1 fine day I could no longer post using that name. So I picked ‘Martin’ randomly as an alternative.

24. You duet with a homophobe, you play in a homophobic country, then you perform for a homophobe. Thanks Elton.

25. But Spike – it’s been blatantly obvious for years that Elton John’s principles are for sale to the highest bidder.

Think about it. On the 1 hand he claims to be support LGBT equality, but that doesn’t mean he’s not willing to wh0re himself out to the most disgusting bigots for the right price.

And it’s not like he even needs the money.

26. vulpus_rex 8 Jun 2010, 1:30pm

“I’m still called Simon by the way.”

How interesting that they blocked you. I’ve been trying for years to get banned but posting vituperative right wing comments hasn’t done the trick.

27. MONEY TALKS ! AS IT ALWAYS WILL, UNFORTUNATELY ;-(

28. Or shouts it seems.

29. Jean-Paul 8 Jun 2010, 2:47pm

I think Eddy has been blocked as well.

30. Has Elton John announced which charity he is going to donate his $1,000,000 blood money to?

Or is he really as greedy and hypocritical as he now appears?

31. When Elton John thinks, you can smell the hair burning from yards away.

32. Simon / Martin – I think I know what your problem is. You’re not allowed to post the same thing more than 5 million times, apparently.

33. That’s about the 5 millionth time you’ve made such a comment to me Chameleon.

Run along now or you’ll be banned.

34. So many haters here. You are all the hypocrites. Whatever happened to letting people do what they want? I don’t think Sir Elton needs to clear his gigs through any of you. Examine your own conscience and leave the rest of us alone!