BBC to screen life story of Britain’s ‘first modern lesbian’ ths weekend

1. is Tolstoy 25 May 2010, 1:53pm

Wor about Clare Balding?More muff sandwiches than you can shake a clit at.

2. Pumpkin Pie 25 May 2010, 4:06pm

Wow, sounds interesting. I had no idea she even existed!

3. Looks interesting. Also, I wish they would repeat “Worried about the boy” so I can download the HD version to watch it again whilst waiting for the DVD release. Also, pity there seems to be no listing on Amazon for a blu-ray version of “Worried about the boy”.

4. She was an odd character – ground-breaking in the ways described but also a typical High Tory of the early 19th century. She didn’t think women or the lower classes should have the vote.

5. It’s great to have an opportunity to develop a positive sense of LGBT history.

6. Jan Bridget 25 May 2010, 6:11pm

If you want to know more about Anne Lister, here is a link to a ten-minute presenation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHB2XCQDgb8

7. Mihangel apYrs 25 May 2010, 6:34pm

I wonder whether this will be another excuse for girl-on-girl action? I have noted a derth of programmes about gay men and their lives: boy-on-boy sex not as acceptable?

8. Georgie Porgie 25 May 2010, 7:45pm

Mihangel, Did you see Worried about the Boy? Ae you watching Eastenders at the moment? Or, if you’re at the cinema maybe you saw Brokeback Mountain, A Single Man, I love you Philip Morris and quite a few more. And as for the theatre, you could swim in the amount of plays about gay men. And you still have a go when a programme about lesbians is on? so much for gay unity eh?

9. @6:

Thank you, Jan. Most informative.

10. Mihangel apYrs 26 May 2010, 7:35am

oh for god’s sake georgie-porgie, I’m not having a go at lesbian-based programmes, just that they tend to havbe a high titilation factor for straight men. I would observe that rarely do you get the same degree of sex in gay male programmes as in “Tipping the Velvet” for instance. I don’t think the homophobic beating in Eastenders is in the same category, except for those macho-men who consider lesbo sex hot and gay sex disgusting and worthy of death.

Personally I don’t give a stuff about lesbian sex (except a vague turning of the stomach), but if you think that such objectification is a good thing then I support your right to watch it.

I hope that the programme doesn’t rotate around sex, because otherwise it loses the opportunity to say that minority sexuality is as fully rounded as heterosexuality

11. Mihangel I think you revealed everything we need to know about you after your assertion that lesbian sex turns your stomach. Congrats, you managed to be both homophobic and mysogynistic in one sentence! Quite how you conclude this programme objectifies anything when it hasn’t even been broadcast yet is truly a talent. Suggest you settle back with your Daily Mail and tune into Eurovision – much more your cup of tea….

12. Mihangel apYrs 26 May 2010, 9:28am

DAveP F*k off, just f*k off!

I raised a perfectly reasonable concern that many lesbian stories turn into sex romps, while most gay themed stories tend to end in tragedies of one sort ofr another.

The though of sex with a woman frankly does turn me off, that’s because I am gay, do you understand the concept, or are you one of those politically correct gay men consider that they have to appreciate thte beauty of the clitoris to be truly well-rounded.

I am really getting p*ssed off by the self-righteous, prats who have come to inhabit this site: for your information DaveP I have been campaigning for equal rights for LGBT people for longer than you’ve probably been sentient, I’m not going to take correction from a moron like you who doesn’t read what is written merely what you think is written.

You’re franklly not worth the effort, twatting around just to get your pipsqueak voice heard. You have added nothing to this apart for “look at me everybody, I’m clever!”

You’re not

13. Rachel Titley 26 May 2010, 12:32pm

@Mihangel – I know what you mean. Although I’ve not watched many lesbian programmes (bad dyke, but I just don’t watch TV), I’m a /huge/ fan of Torchwood, and it’s noticeable in that that the most popular couple get a grand total of four kisses, including the hot house scene in three series of being together. Even Tosh gets more on screen action than Jack and Ianto do. Would it have killed the BBC to give us a scene of them in bed together? Quite probably *sighs*

I’m really looking forwards to this show, though, because I grew up in Halifax, I visited Shibden Hall when I was at primary school, and it wasn’t until long after I’d gone through the struggle of ‘born again christian realising that she’s attracted to girls’ that I discovered that she was just down the road being awesome centuries before. Having said that, I also lived just down the road from Hebden Bridge as well (the two go hand in hand, as they’re at either end of the same valley) and didn’t find a gay female role model until last year. It’d be great if more of you awesome older GBLT people could hang out with us younger ones, but our culture doesn’t really allow that *sadface*

14. @Mihangel Thanks but I don’t need anybody fighting for my rights for whom I “turn their stomach”…

15. circling people 26 May 2010, 2:58pm

Lezzers lezzers everywhere and not a knob to suck. “Rhyme of the Ancient Mincer” folks

16. Mihangel apYrs 26 May 2010, 4:34pm

OK Sarah:

fight your own battles, and don’t whimper when straight men say they want to watch lipstick lesbians shagging, but don’t treat you seriously as an adult – especially if you’re less than physically perfect.

BTW, what’s your opinion of sucking cock: do you fancy watching

(merciful mother, when will people realise that just because one doesn’t relish th thought of them getting it off doesn’t mean that one is sexist/momophobic, mysogynist, mysandrist, etc

17. Mihangel apYrs 26 May 2010, 6:21pm

Rachel, the straight world tends to define us by what we do in bed thus diminishing our humanity to a shadow of the truth.

I hope this series does explore their multilayered lives, where Ms Lister’s abilities are demonstrated, and their love is celebrated rather than sensationalised.

You may have noticed I sometimes am less than temperate on this site: I apologise to you for that, but a bad day at work can make me unsympathetic to being attacked.

18. In Chapter 10 entitled “Loving Women in the Modern World” in an extraordinary book “Gay Life and Culture: A World History” edited by Robert Aldrich (2006), author Leila J. Rupp introduces us to a number of courageous lesbians who affirmed themselves against all odds.

Notably, Rupp mentions

Edward De Lacy Evans / Ellen Tremaye (1830-1901) who lived as a man for 23 years in Australia and married three times;

Pine-Leaf, a semi-fictitious female Berdache who does confirm the presence of the respected third sex in Native American societies;

the mind-boggling Anglo-Irish gentlewomen, Eleanor Butler and Sarah Ponsonby known at the time as ‘The Ladies of Llangollen’ (1778);

my personal favorite American Billy Tipton / Dorothy Tipton (1914-1989) who lived a male jazz musician for 50 years and who adopted several children all of whom were unaware of his true sex until his death;

and of course, the lovely Anne Lister (1791-1840) captured in oil in 1830 by Joshua Horner.

As Aldrich points out in his Introduction, since time immemorial and throughout the world, some men and women have felt a desire for emotional and physical intimacy with those of the same sex.

This same-sex desire is what gays and lesbians have in common, and I’m delighted that BBC has documented an example of this love for the younger generations, and for us older folk as well.

According to the preview (see comment #6, and the YouTube video), I doubt that this will be another excuse for girl-on-girl action because the film is not meant to exploit sexuality but to portray the challenges of being oneself in an hostile environment…a phenomena still very much alive on the PinkNews threads it seems.

Let’s lighten up, shall we.

19. Mary Flying Eagle Ray 26 May 2010, 9:05pm

As often happens, (TOO Often) dirty trash talk took over, and turned this informative, “yea, I honor you, Miss Anne Lister” thread, not one of I respect your
    courage/personal convictions, but of slinging gay sex trash talk.Saddly all of the
    LGBT’s are judged by these few.

20. @10 Mihangel ap Yrs:

Actually Anne Lister is saying the very same thing you are, isn’t she:

“I love and only love the fairer sex and thus beloved by them in turn, my heart revolts from any love but theirs.”

“my heart revolts” would be the equivalent of “turns my stomach”, innit.

As for me I certainly do not dislike women, but I have never been prone to imagine how two women would pleasure themselves sexually and lovingly.

However, the emotional history of LGBT’s fascinate me.

Did you know that in Indonesia, there are 5 genders !!!

21. Mihangel apYrs 27 May 2010, 6:58am

@20, Jean-Paul

thanks for that information.

Your snippet about Indonesia is facinating: too long the world has been dominated by the views of long-gone sheep-herding tribsmen of the middle east, i.e the abrahamic religions- people are much more complex than their simplistic world view, led by a psychopathically jealous and homicidal god.

Comme d’habitude, je te remercie

22. Sorry to be pedantic, but “my heart revolts” would suggest that she was having some kind of revolution against the norm, in matters of the heart.

And not anything to do with her chucking up her cookies. Revolution – revolts.

Rather than
    “The peasants are revolting… well, I’m not surprised with those ablutions.”

23. for the avoidance of doubt, I’m a dyke, fast approaching 50 and have no problem at all with male on male sex acts.

Let’s not make out that queasiness about people’s bits is what makes us gay. It’s really not about that.

24. Galadriel1010 27 May 2010, 5:59pm

@Mihangel I’m rapidly coming to the conclusion that that’s because the straight world can’t get it’s collective mind out of its collective trousers
    As for lesbians turning your stomach, the sight of one man naked turns my stomach, unless they’re just in my head (I’m a writer, not a very good one, but a writer I remain), so I know what you mean.

25. Mihangel apYrs 27 May 2010, 9:49pm

Galadriel,, Galadriel, clear is the water in thy well….

part of being gay and not wanting a sexual relationship with someone of the other sex (simplifying) means one can treat women or men as people. It means I can talk to my women friends about things that sex gets in the way of, and equally care about them and their happiness.

Wilde said in “Lady Windemere’s fan” that men and women can’t just be friends. He was wrong, but it takes effort for straight men to get past the first hurdle

26. Galadriel1010 28 May 2010, 8:55pm

@Mihangel I find it much easier to get on with guys I meet over the internet in fan forums. Online, gender doesn’t matter, because sex doesn’t come into it at all. Get out in the real world and men make me uncomfortable, so it’s lovely to be able to get online and just talk. Like I would probably never speak to you in the real world, because you’re male, and older than me, and I’m far too shy. On here I can hide behind the elf queen and no one knows who I am, so I can be who I like (also, my name appears to have changed in this thread, so I’m not as well hidden as… I’m not at all well hidden, but the illusion is nice)