Philippa Stroud appointed special advisor at Department for Work and Pensions

1. Ha! More people should have voted Labour and not Lib Dem then, snarf snarf! Still she’s bound to f**k it up somewhere along the lines.

2. So after being soundly rejected by the electorate, she gets a job anyway? Nice.

3. Well Stroud and Ian Duncan Smith should get on like a house on fire, as both have an “I’m not homophobic, but…” mindset.
    At least she wasn’t put in charge of equalities unlike Theresa May, though it remains to be seen what damage she can do in work and pensions.

4. I also think it is undemocratic for Ian Duncan Smith to appoint Philipa Stroud as his personal advisor when she lost her election and has been discredited for saying that gay and transsexual teenagers were possessed by demons and attempting to exorcise them. Questions should be asked about the appropriateness of this appointment when Ian Duncan Smith and Philipa Stroud jointly run the Centre for Social Justice – is this nepotism? Will there be contracts for favoured religious organisations to deliver back to work schemes?

It is looking suspiciously like ‘The Big Society’ is actually a plan to cut public services for vulnerable young and old people, homeless people, people in debt, people with addictions etc so that contracts can be given to religious voluntary organisations that will deliver services more cheaply but will actively proselytise and cast judgement (or damnation?) on service users.

Personally, I am extremely pleased that there are Liberal Democrat MPs in the Cabinet to moderate the intolerant instincts of these right wing Tories. I am encouraged by the negotiating ability of the Lib Dem team in forming a coalition that gave significant concessions to the Liberal Democrats. However, it is clear that David Cameron and chief negotiator William Hague had to make concessions to the Conservative religious right in order to broker the coalition within their own party. I sincerely hope that the LGBT community has not been cast as the ‘sacrificial lamb’ in the interests of ‘the greater good’.

A lot of responsibility rests on Lynne Featherstone’s shoulders as the Under Secretary for Equalities in Theresa May’s team. I know that Lynne has an unsurpassed understanding and commitment to equal rights for LGBT people and other minorities. She has my admiration and best wishes for her new role. I hope that she will have the full backing of Liberal Democrat Cabinet members when social policies are being decided.

I thank goodness and the electorate that the Lib Dems are in this coalition Government rather than their being an unmoderated and immoderate Conservative Government.

5. Shane Woodhouse 16 May 2010, 1:35pm

I think its appalling, especially with all the supposed rebranding Cameron was pretending to do. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126821387335108 and http://www.gopetition.co.uk/online/36295.html

6. Brenda Lana Smith R af D 16 May 2010, 1:44pm

Although not an unexpected Tory nepotistic gift—but there is no ameliorating counter balance in what is now definitely LGBTQI unfriendly controlled DWP… this septuagenarian Lib-Dem LGBTQI human rights advocate is not happy a happy elector, Mr Clegg…

7. So does Philippa Stroud think gays are demonic or not?… we await her answer.

8. Patrick James 16 May 2010, 4:08pm

In the article the Centre for Social Justice is described as a right of centre think tank. I wonder if the Ku Klux Klan would also be described as right of centre?

9. Hope you gay tory voters are ashamed of yourselves, if not you should be.

So now we have a homophobic……..
    prime minister
    chairman of the party
    equalities minister
    foreign secretary
    work and pensions minister
    junior pensions minister
    special advisor to work and pensions minister
    the list goes on……..

And they fooled the gay tories to vote for them. HAHA. What a joke. A gay tory truly is one of the most pathetic human beings in this country.

And the lib dem voters who have been defending this coallition on other threads should now admit they are defending a homophobic government. What more proof do you need. That’s now two unelected highly homophobic women who have been given positions in this government. Disgusting.

10. Father Tafferty O'Cavity 16 May 2010, 5:36pm

I am praying for Phillipa Stroud. I believe that God loves us all and if all the gay people in the world pray hard enough, we can cure her of this terrible homophobia. The poor woman has clearly been possessed by homophobic demons who have taken control of her soul. The only way we can get the homophobic demons out of her is to hold a 24/7 prayer vigil over her. Everyone – pray pray pray.

11. I certainly think this needs looking into. A start would be to write to one’s MP – something I intend to do, and I have a LibDem one here in Cambridge, a new boy, the old MP the excellent David Howard having retired at the election – then letters to David Cameron and Nick Clegg and even to to Duncan Iain Smith to ask him to explain how a person who failed to gain a seat and who has serious unanswered question hanging over her can be allowed anywhere near policy making. We should kick up a stink – and if I knew how to do it on Twitter and Facebook I’d start it! Best not to c.c. letters to each because only the addressee will answer. We should demand an answer from all of them.

12. I’m surprised the tories haven’t employed nick girffin for a new racial relations minister. He’d fit in very nicely to their scheme.

13. I make no apologies about being a gay man and I am absolutely not prejudiced toward Christians but I do think that belief in demons really does indicate mental illness.

It is a legitimate public concern that someone who believes in demons is advising the Government on social policy making and we require and deserve a fuller explanation from Mrs Stroud about her alleged involvement in attempts to ungay people through the casting out of demons.
    Has she or has she not attempted to ungay people through casting out of demons in past and does Mrs Stroud intend to continue attempting to ungay people this way?

14. BobbetStillTheSame 16 May 2010, 11:35pm

Do you need any more evidence? Do you need any more reasons b4 you start protesting on the streets again?

15. BobbetStillTheSame 16 May 2010, 11:41pm

She has warned and threatened the media with lawsuits. Can you imagine what Ian Duncan Smith and her are preparing for you?

16. Placed right where she can do the most damage to vulnerable LGBT people who are unemployed or signed off as unable to work. Same Old Nasty Party

17. Uganda has 14 Newfrontiers church’s,
    The church Philippa Stroud founded is a Newfrontiers church.

18. silly billy 17 May 2010, 1:06am

What a refreshing bunch you people are after Flatpack and “Paul” who yesterday called me asinine for having a go at Clegg. There are some very weird people on this site. Stroud is horrific; as are most of the Tory bunch, but at least we knew the devils we knew, if you’ll forgive the over-industrious cliche. But the fact that the Egg, Cl-Egg gave birth to these monsters surely needs examining. Tories are right-wing, religious maniacs. That we know. Don’t think for one moment that they are any different, they have a whole life-style to protect. But for the Egg to get in bed with the embryo….and then for a whole load of people like Flatpack and “Paul” to defend it, is indefensible. Idiots.

19. BobbetStillTheSame 17 May 2010, 3:12am

Where are the gay tories now? Probably counting their meagre token profits with bloody money in their hands.

20. From the Newfrontiers church website
    “One to one with Mark Stibble.
    Question NR: What do you see as some of the major challenges facing the church?…
    Answer MS: The two greatest challenges are Islam and the new Humanism which embraces many things – religious pluralism,
    civil partnerships, gay adoption-all sorts of things.
    We are now seeing these enshrined in law…”

The sort of Christian dominionist evangelism that the Newfrontiers church pushes globally with it’s many church plants should be deeply concerning to all LGBT’s.

21. Correction that should have read Mark Stibbe not Mark Stibble (above)

22. Silly Billy – In my defence I wasn’t defending Stroud, but I was taking issue with the notion you had in your earlier post that Clegg should be sacked from government for wanting to make the world a better place.
    Now if you want to attack him on specifics such as his questionable decision to get into bed with the tories I couldn’t really fault you, though that would be more an argument for “is this guy the right man to be running a centre-left party?”.
    But what you said on the other thread yesterday put across an argument that he was an idealist who thought he could save the world, and you’d like to wipe the smug grin off his face for that. It felt more like a gratuitous ad-hom attack than a thought-out statement. The re-framing of your argument happened later.

23. @22:

Funny, that’s the exact question I was asking myself about Clegg.

Spot on, again!!

24. Pavlos: “I am absolutely not prejudiced toward Christians but I do think that belief in demons really does indicate mental illness”.

I agree.

I had to re-read this article to make sure I hadn’t got it wrong – I can’t believe Ms Stroud failed to get elected yet got into Government anyway. I’d like to know whether Cameron was personally aware of this appointment and how he justifies it, bearing in mind what Ms Stroud is reported to have said.

I bet any attempt to question the Tories about this or to ask Ms Stroud to elaborate on her views will be seen as a ‘campaign’ (think Moir), but I think we deserve answers. How CAN someone like this be a Special Advisor?

25. Will work and pensions secretary Iain Duncan Smith have to exorcise Ms Stroud’s demons? All I can say is you got what you voted for…

26. BobbetStillTheSame 17 May 2010, 9:42am

Dave Chameleon changes his colours as he pleases. He decided already to defend bigots and to ignore our complaints. That’s why she got a green light to the position of adviser. Gays will be ignored, in the same way they were when the last tory government was in power. Homophobes will probably try to export this attitude down to local levels. So sometime we’re about to see tensions arising, because people like Philippa will missbehave and will get another green light by the leader.

27. BobbetStillTheSame 17 May 2010, 9:46am

Thing is, are there any known racists in this coalition government? Or is Mr Chameleon being more careful with this issue?

28. silly billy 17 May 2010, 9:51am

“Granted I don’t think Clegg has the superhuman ability to save the planet by himself, but is that really a reason to sack someone? “How dare they try to save the earth, the bloody nerve of some people” is not really a rational argument for sacking a politician.
    Or were you planning on moving to Mars?
    Being an equalities minister who doesn’t believe in equality is more of a contentious position, surely?” No desire to get into a protracted argument with flipflap but hey, being an equalities minister who doesn’t believe in equality probably or possibly (or not)is more of a contentious position than being a vain little man who got very few votes in the democratic election but who anyway decided to prop up a right-wing religious homophobic party so that they could once again abuse their power to promote the interests of the already rich. Whatever, flum-plum.

29. Silly Billy – I completely agree, except that wasn’t the anti-Clegg argument you put forward originally, was it?
    If you’re going to bait and switch your arguments at will like that, how am I supposed to figure out if I agree or not?

30. de Villiers 17 May 2010, 1:34pm

> That’s why she got a green light to the position of adviser.

As I understand it, she is what is termed in political parlance, a ‘SPAD’ or special advisor. I understand, also, that these require no specific appointment or authorisation from the Prime Minister. A Cabinet Minister has sufficient authority to appoint their own SPADs.

31. *Gagged from commenting*

It must be very nice to be able to afford freedom of speech or the silencing of other peoples opinion of you.

32. BobbetStillTheSame 17 May 2010, 9:28pm

de Villiers, in the hierarchical political game, she wouldn’t have benefitted from the status the Prime Minister gave her, when he defended her from the allegations of homophobic behaviour. She clearly dodged the allegations posited against her, which gave us ample reasons to doubt about her real intentions.

33. silly billy 18 May 2010, 5:42am

Flatpack (yawn)”Can someone start a petition to get rid of the odious Clegg as well; have you read his justification today for becoming Tory? he seems to think he is able to save the planet. Uggghhhh. This is what the Tory voters and the Lib-Dem voters have let us in for. He is more sanctimoniously moralistic than the likes of May.” Sorry to anyone absolutely bored with this, but “justifications for becoming a Tory” and “seems to think he can save the planet” are not quite the same as “wanting to make the world a better place” I suspect. No wish for a further protracted argument either.

34. RE:Comment 4 by Christina
    “Questions should be asked about the appropriateness of this appointment when Ian Duncan Smith and Philipa Stroud jointly run the Centre for Social Justice – is this nepotism? Will there be contracts for favoured religious organisations to deliver back to work schemes?”

I agree with you, there is plenty of scope for Philippa Stroud’s evangelising work to expand here…too much scope.
    It’s deeply concerning when we know the extreme form of evangelising both she and her husband and their Newfrontiers church undertakes regarding sexual orientation as well as womens right to choose plus other Christian dominionist end-time ideas on top of their plans and efforts to expand and plant new offshoots of the Newfrontiers church.