Video: Gordon Brown resigns as prime minister

1. Game not over

2. vulpus_rex 11 May 2010, 8:01pm

Well it took 5 days longer than I thought, but at last the most useless, incompetent, unpleasant dictator (unelected leader) in the history of UK politics is gone.

Let the slow and painful death of what is left of Liebour continue.

3. Yes, but Labour gave you your rights though!

4. Would that we could ditch popes in simile modo.
    Keith.
    SALFORD

5. silly billy 11 May 2010, 8:11pm

Great we now have another unelected leader (dictator)coming…….and his little unelected minion……bet some of the Liberals are feeling a bit sick tonight…….if they’re not already they soon will be.

6. theotherone 11 May 2010, 8:56pm

i presume gordo still thinks that Marriage is only for Heterosexuals?

7. thatcher was loads more unpleasant vulpus_rex

8. theotherone 11 May 2010, 10:14pm

as bad as each other Chester but atleast Thatcher got elected.

9. @7 well clearly I would disagree, but it would be helpful if you could articulate why the fact that I think Gordon Brown is useless means I am more or less pleasant than a prime minister from 18 years ago.

I think you are a bit thick though so I shan’t hold my breath.

10. Bobbet: “Game not over.”
    I beg to differ: ‘David Cameron is UK’s new prime minister’

Labour were screwed the moment Cash Gordon declared an election.
    Now for Eddy, Simon M, Patrick James et al, you can quit calling him “Call-me-Dave”. NOW YOU CAN CALL HIM PRIME MINISTER!
    *Smug grin* :)

11. BrazilBoysBlog 12 May 2010, 12:52am

@10 Well, Mr ´smug grin´, now he has to actually deliver!

We´ll all see now what sort of a government the Tories are won´t we?

So, enjoy your ´smug grin´ today , because tomorrow it´s down to work, (and not just easy-to-make promises made from the comfort of the opposition benches).

And remember, the public are very unforgiving so if Mr ´call me Prime Minister´ Dave does not deliver, then they will be returned to the political wilderness for perhaps a whole generation.

I am big enough to say that I hope I´m wrong and you are right.. I hope Britain does well under this government (with the Lib Dems holding them in check), but I don´t think so..

Time will tell and I´m guessing there will be plenty on here for us all to comment about in the comings weeks/months.

12. Patrick James 12 May 2010, 2:24am

Silly Billy writes:

bet some of the Liberals are feeling a bit sick tonight

Yes, of course they are.

They are about to be taken for a ride by the Conservative party I think.

13. Patrick James 12 May 2010, 2:24am

vulpus_rex writes:

I think you are a bit thick though

I haven’t looked to see who vulpus rex is calling a bit thick but whoever it is I suggest that you laugh at the idea of this coming from vulpus rex.

vulpus_rex writes:

Let the slow and painful death of what is left of Liebour continue.

Now that is thick.

Labour have played all this very well indeed.

14. Patrick James 12 May 2010, 2:36am

Rob N writes:

But for how long will he be Prime Minister…

I’ve never seen a prime ministerial “coronation” so underwhelming.

The Conservative party knows fine well that his election campaign was a complete disaster. He achieved only 4 percentage points more than Michael Howard in 2005. A consequence of this disaster has been that the Conservative party is shackled, as they will see it, with the Lib Dems.

15. Mihangel apYrs 12 May 2010, 7:16am

Gordon hightailed it out of town back to Kirkuldy so quickly that my head spun.

Let’s see:
    elected Thursday, promising to serve his constituents well;
    dumped them Tuesday, and heading for a new future without a second thought for them.

Like Blair, a careerist only interested in power.

16. Jock S. Trap 12 May 2010, 8:51am

Am I the only one who feels a certain song by Gloria Gayner springs to mind with this news item?

17. “Now for Eddy, Simon M, Patrick James et al, you can quit calling him “Call-me-Dave”.”

Me bets they’ve all got hangovers this morning from drowning their sorrows. Labour Party HQ Must be calling them to let them know how disappointed they were and what a terrible job they did!!

You Got To Laugh…. LOL!!

18. de Villiers 12 May 2010, 9:24am

> Labour have played all this very well indeed.

> The Conservative party knows fine well that his election campaign was a complete disaster.

Fair and balanced.

19. Goodbye to Gordon Brown – the man who hindered the progress of Gay Rights legislation throughout the time of New Labour government as surely as he never voted for them in Parliament.

With David Cameron and Nick Clegg in the Lib/Conservative Coalition,gay rights are assured of greater progress in social as well as economic terms than we would ever have seen under Gordon Brown.

Wait,watch and listen for the truth about Gordon Brown and the legal implementation of the rights of the LGBT community that will emerge in the coming months.

As to Brown’s precipitate departure,as usual he threw his rattle out of the pram and right at the Queen.

20. theotherone 12 May 2010, 11:05am

Patrick James: played it well? What nearly fracturing the Party? That’s really smart isn’t it?

21. @vulpus rex NO UK Prime Minister is ever elected as such, so your implied slagging off of Gordon Brown as ‘unelected’ merely displays a sad ignorance of the constitutional rules and procedures! The Queen invites that Member of the House of Commons best/most able to command a majority within the House to form a Government. Technically she could invite any one of the 650 Members but in practice she invites the leader of the largest Party. Three and a half years ago Gordon Brown was that man and she quite rightly, as she is required to do, invited him to form a Government.

22. theotherone 12 May 2010, 6:23pm

But did he, like Major, go to the Country? No he held on untill the last possible day.

23. To the crowing squelchers, etc, remember; despite Ashcrofts millions, despite every trick of the murdoch media, we have a dictator in Call-Me-Dave. He was NOT elected, did NOT get a clear mandate (or what is techinically known as a majority). He received just 36% of the popular vote, so 64% voted AGAINST our new dictator, despite every piece of crap you could throw at Labour. It took all of that, and he is still only prime minister because of the kingmaker lying about being the kingmaker.

But don’t stop crowing, it makes everyone see what they have supported. Smug is only the beginning.

24. silly billy 14 May 2010, 4:16pm