Exclusive: SNP leader and Scottish first minister Alex Salmond answers your questions

1. Pathetic. Alex Salmond’s responses are unconvincing and PinkNews totally shied away from putting Salmond on the spot over the fact that some of the most outrageously homophobic MPs at Westminster (such as Angus MacNeil, MP for Na h-Eileanan an Iar) sit as SNP members.

2. Anthony Bermon 5 May 2010, 9:15pm

I totally agree with PaulSW, #1. Not to mention tackling Salmond about Fergus Ewing, Roseanna Cunningham, two homophobes in the Scottish Government. Also, their homophobic candidate in Glasgow Central, Osama Saeed. And most of all, his acceptance of half a million quid from Brian Souter, the biggest homophobe of all. Remember that Salmond dropped his party’s bus re-regulation policy, which went against Souter’s business interests, just after Souter’s pay off.

3. Anthony Bermon 5 May 2010, 9:16pm

And why Salmond’s government helped St. Margaret’s adoption agency to get around the anti-discrimination laws so that they are STILL allowed to refuse gay couples.

4. Anthony Bermon 5 May 2010, 9:41pm

For anyone thinking of voting SNP, please read this article:

5. Jean-Paul 5 May 2010, 9:48pm

Great stuff, Anthony Bermon. More!

6. Anthony Bermon 5 May 2010, 9:54pm

And this article from 2006:

A year later after the SNP “won” the Scottish Parliament election, Fergus Ewing was made Community Safety Minister with responsibility for the Fire Service. In 2009, one of the fire fighters won an out of court settlement with Stratchclyde Fire & Rescue over this matter and he was given an apology and damages.

7. Anthony Bermon 5 May 2010, 9:56pm

Before anyone accuses me of being a Labour or Tory stooge, I used to be an SNP supporter and voter but felt I had to stop in 2007 when they accepted Souter’s money. Since then, they’ve shown themselves to be at the least accepting of homophobia by senior party members.

8. Anthony Bermon 5 May 2010, 10:02pm

And this:

By the way, Fiona Hyslop is still in the Scottish Government, as Culture Secretary and Roseanna Cunningham, who the article in #9 is about, was made the Environment Minister in 2009, just over a year after her ammendment attempt.

9. Anthony Bermon 5 May 2010, 10:22pm

Salmond has dodged answering most of these questions with poor excuses. On the one about supporting gay marriage, he’s ruled it out saying that the UK government won’t look at it and as it’s their responsibility, he can’t do anything. If that were the case then he’d not be bothering with his independence election as that is also a retained matter. He’s keeps using this excuse but when have the SNP ever been happy to leave matters to Westminster? Only when it comes to gay issues like this, it seems. Ha, one of the words I have to type to post this comment is “minicam”, that’s just what Salmond is, a Mini-Cam(eron) when it comes to gay rights.

10. Completely agree Anthony. The SNP’s excuse on gay marriage is preposterous. I honestly would consider voting for them if they gay rights record was better. Joint responsibility for marriage law hasn’t stopped provinces within nation states in other parts of the world like the US, Canada, Mexico, Argentina. If Scotland wanted gay marriage there’s nothing Westminster could or would do to stop it.

11. Anthony Bermon 5 May 2010, 11:02pm

And Alex Salmond has put the homophobic Fergus Ewing in charge of the Scottish Government’s response to gay marriage, so what does that say about their attitude to gay marriage, especially when you consider that Fergus Ewing is the Minister for Community Safety! I think that says it all, doesn’t it?

12. Anthony Bermon 5 May 2010, 11:05pm

And the Scottish Parliament has full control over health, so his excuse on the blood ban is complete rubbish too. It is clear that the SNP are clearly not 100% behind gay equality, and quite possibly more than a little homophobic.

13. Anthony Bermon 5 May 2010, 11:23pm

Here’s another link to an article which mentions the SNP’s “commitment” to gay rights.

14. I asked the Trans question and to be honest felt he said nothing to do with answering the question.

15. Sadly no more than I expected from Alex Salmond. He has dodged or side-stepped nearly all the questions except the one which suited him (on scottish pride). On full gay marriage for example, he was not asked about westminster’s control of the leegislation, he was asked if he & his party supported it or not, he chose not to answer this question.

Almost all the questions he has dodged by blaming others for why something isn’t so, blood donations by LGBT people included. As a Scot, I just can’t take the SNP seriously and I also think they are very very narrow-minded to think that an independent Scotland will suddenly fix everything, it won’t. On social justice and equality issues, I find the SNP to support whichever way the winds of public opinion blow, whether they blow to the left or the right.

There are plenty of SNP supporters in the area of Scotland where I currently live but on the whole I find their outlook to be frankly daft. If the SNP ever won total independence to Scotland then I would immediately move back down south to London. Nothing un-patriotic or un-scottish about it, I just think we (Scotland) are far better off as part of the UK and also as part of the european community, despite the problems that come with it.

16. Jock S. Trap 6 May 2010, 10:26am

Am I the only one to notice that it doesn’t look like Alex Salmond actually answered these questions?

The answers are usually The SNP this and SNP that but when asked if Alex Salmond would be meeting the Pope the answer is “He will be meeting..” Surely he would say “I will be meeting..”? There’s nothing personal about these answers.

17. Yes Jock, these are obviously churned out statements from some SNP apparatchik, with Salmond being too busy being smug to respond.

18. Jock S. Trap 6 May 2010, 10:47am

Regardless of there faults at least the other leaders look as if they’ve taken the time to answer in person. Think this says a lot about Alex Salmond and the SNP, its clearly a move they felt they had to do somewhat half-heartedly! I think that kinda suggests there lack of commitment, doesn’t it?

19. The SNP ARE pretty pro equality, and Alex Salmonds voting record is superior to that of Gordon Brown of Labour.

From the above twenty odd identical posts by the same person, it seems like the Labour astroturfers have been busy spouting utter lies again.

Just because you are gay, it does not make Labour an automatic choice, especially in Scotland, where the SNP are more committed to LGBT rights than Labour in London have ever been.

Lots of lies in the articles and posts above about the SNP. But then people in Scotland are getting wise to the utter bare faced lies of Labour.

20. Anthony Bermon 6 May 2010, 1:46pm

t speer #23

Nowhere in any of my posts have I endorsed Labour or any party, for that matter, I’ve simply asked anyone thinking of voting SNP to look at the matters I’ve raised. In fact, I made a point in #8 of saying that I wasn’t a member of any party and that I used to be an SNP supporter until 2007 when they accepted half a million quid from Souter, and this is why I get so worked up about this issue. Instead of accusing me of being a Labour stooge and merely dismissing what I’ve said as lies, why not try to explain it and tell me how any of the examples I’ve referred to fit in with the SNP’s supposed support for gay equality?

21. Were the parties in Northern Ireland contacted to answer readers questions?

22. Alex Salmond

Better on what exactly? Margo MacDonald’s right to die?

As for the suggestion that the SNP’s commitment to LGBT rights is greater than than that of Labour – well, even to this non-Labour voter, that is just plain ridiculous and doesn’t stand up to any critical examination.

23. Dear me, all you British Nationalists clearly have too much time on your hands. As Salmond says, the SNP have supported all the steps to greater equality – and they supported Patrick Harvie’s hate crime legislation which New Labour refused to do when they were in office and their own Working Group recommended the move.

24. Linsey Young 28 Nov 2010, 8:22pm

@Anthony Bermon:

Simply saying you’re not a labour stooge does not mean that you’re not. Perhaps you could be lying? Look at Hansard. You’ll find that the SNP have a better record in supporting LGBT rights than labour. Simple fact.

25. Anthony Bermon,

Your link to Snptacticalvoting is actually a green supporter. Instead of trawling looking dirt, perhaps you should try reading up on party policies and voting records.

Blogs are just other peoples opinions which can easily change, they are not facts or party policies!

With all your posts you appear to be a troll??

Gay SNP voter & proud of both!