Former Tory candidate attacks Cameron for ‘political correctness’

1. “David Cameron appears to be saying there is no place in the party for anyone with Christian beliefs”

Maybe he’s saying there’s no place for religious fundamentalists…

2. “By suspending me as a Tory, David Cameron appears to be saying there is no place in the party for anyone with Christian beliefs.”

No, maybe he’s saying there’s no place for BIGOTS. There’s nothing Christian about discrimination. Nor can you ‘promote’ homosexuality any more than you can promote blackness. But, of course, ‘christians’ like to keep quiet about how they used the Bible to defend slavery, racism and laws against mixed race marriages.

3. ‘Free speech’ is of course identical to institutionalised discrimination in schools and employment or business which happens to be run by Holy Joes. I applaud the party’s suspension of this idiot, but I will believe that the Tories are reformed characters when they wield the knife with sitting MPs or candidates in constituencies where they can win. Ted Heath expelled Enoch Powell from the Front Bench for his infamous ‘rivers of blood’ speech. I somehow doubt that Cameron has the same mettle. He is in hock to the mad Right; Heath was not.

4. Lardner says: “David Cameron appears to be saying there is no place in the party for anyone with Christian beliefs.”

GREAT! GREAT! It’s the old Cookham Bigots B&B story, plus the Christopher Grayling story, back again, and now this Lardner is hopefully going to push Call-Me-Dave himself into a corner of whether Christian bigots should have the right to inflict the thinking of Leviticus upon us queers!

GREAT! I hope this matter flies and Cameron has to answer the cry of others like Lardner.

5. Oh dear, never mind, what a pity!

6. What a moron this guy is.

The BNP will be happy to welcome him as they seem like a suitable party for him (they should take Chris Grayling, Iain Duncan Smith, Philippa Stroud, Andrew Brigden and Julian Lewis and all the other Tory bigots while they’re at it)

7. Ah yes, the old bigots defence of railing against “political correctness”.
    Mr Lardner doubtless yearns for a Britain of the 1970s or 1980s where offensive words such as “P*ki”, “n*gger”, “p*of” and “sp*stic” were part of our mainstream discourse, with peak-time television programmes featuring blacked-up actors on The Black and White Minstrel Show and the racist rantings of Alf Garnett, on Till Death Do Us Part.
    I’m guessing he’s a school ground bully who never grew up, never noticed that British society had moved on without him, never acknowledged the positive sea change in the attitudes of British people in recent years.
    are opposed to progress; they yearn for a Britain of the 1970s or 1980s where offensive words such as “Paki”, “nigger”, “poof” and “spastic” were part of our mainstream discourse, with peak-time television programmes featuring blacked-up actors on The Black and White Minstrel Show and the racist rantings of Alf Garnett, on Till Death Do Us Part. Is this, I asked in front of 600-odd Cambridge students, what we want to go back to?

The “politically incorrect” brigade are, we argued, simply schoolground bullies who never grew up, never noticed that British society had moved on without them, never acknowledged the positive sea change in the attitudes of British people in recent years.
    So thank God for political correctness and scr*w you Mr Lardner – crawl back to your home and hide from the side of decency and progress, of liberal and enlightened values and common human decency.
    (Thanks Mehdi Hasan)

8. Playing the “politically correct” card simply plays on people’s ignorance of the truth and is becoming hackneyed and worn out. Let’s get to the point here; it’s not about political correctness – it’s about treating people with kindness and respect. Stewart is right, and it’s time we all put people right every time this offensive expression is used.

9. Johan Roberts. 28 Apr 2010, 8:39pm

Why the hell was this odious prat even standing for election in North Ayrshire.

He lives in Paisley in Renfrewshire.

Did they kick him out or something.

The problems and issues in Paisley are completely different from those in Ayrshire.

Despite Cameron’s “Rapid Response” in kicking out a candidate who has no hope in hell of getting voted in, it will be interesting to see if there is any further fallout regarding standing MP Grayling and the other bigots in his party.

I expect nothing to happen.

10. Dave North 28 Apr 2010, 8:45pm

Aww. Poor little persecuted god botherer.

Maybe now he might understand the persecution him and his like
    have perpetuated on gays for centuries.

I doubt it though.

Have your “belief” just stop trying to make it policy and keep it to yourself.

It’s between you and your indoctrinated mind.

Leave it at that.

11. Anthony Bermon 28 Apr 2010, 9:11pm

Johan – #9

You’re right about him not being local (at the risk of sounding like Tubbs & Edward), but neither are the SNP or Lib-Dem candidates. The Lib-Dem woman is from Edinburgh, and the SNP woman from Glasgow where she is an elected Councillor and she also works as her husband’s researcher – he’s an MSP in the Scottish Parliament. Only the Labour and Socialist Labour candidates live in North Ayrshire.

12. Rev Laurie Roberts 28 Apr 2010, 9:58pm

Hardly fit to teach impressionable children either ! And there are Laws about these things. He can’t just defame lgbt people, or express this stuff to children in state schools.It is illegal.

13. Im glad that we have devolved government in the north of Ireland, because if i had to live under the Law and Justice racist homophobic Tory mob, I think I would emigrate to Cuba or North Korea somewhere.

However I really don’t think the people of Britain will be stupid enough to elect this crowd of morons, so I won’t book my ticket just yet.
    Quite apart from the whole GLB issue, they are totally without any realistic manifesto.
    Anyone who watched the moronic Willie Hague trying to explain his way through the most idiotic plans for American style elected police “sheriffs” last night would shudder with dread.
    They have totally lost it and are trying so hard to come up with something, anything that will appeal to the High Tory right. I really do dread what will happen if they are elected.
    They are the same corrupt, inept crowd of upper class twits that brought Britain to its knees in the 80s and 90s under mad Maggie and gray John with 17.5% interest rates and 6 million on the dole. Social housing stock sold off to give the top earners tax breaks while sending letters to old age pensioners telling them they will be taking a penny off their pensions. The letters cost 20 p each to send out and could have added 3or 4p to the pension instead. They sq1uandered the £billions from the North sea oil, They sold off the national gas system and on and on ad nauseum.
    The country is on its knees now as it is, and if this crowd get elected it will be 10 times worse than Greece, because the UK wont have the Euro to call on for a bail out, so the IMF will be telling you all how much Spam you will be allowed per day.
    The hardest days of WW2 will seem like a cakewalk in comparison. The winter of Discontent will become Five years of Social War.
    Thousands died needlessly in Ireland because of their racist obstinence, and it would still be going on if they were still in power.
    They could have put on a bus from the House of Commons to Wands worth there were so many of them going to jail.
    Gordon Brown may not be the sharpest tack in the box , but in comparison to Callmedave the Salesman he is up there with Einstein.
    Think on and think hard before you throw away the UK and end up with Albania Major.

14. Johan Roberts. 28 Apr 2010, 10:02pm

Unfortunately due to the blind fool nature of Ayrshire voters.

Nothing will ever change.

Having spent my entire childhood in Irvine, and most of my teenage years, I could not get away quick enough.

My parents were only making plans for Nigel.

He has a future in some crap lifetime job.

I fought against this nonsense and left, unfortunately my parents and kith an kin still live in the dump.

I sent a comment to the Irvine Herald, about this Tory idiot as they had not picked up the story and they still have not.

I live in Wales, and my partner is visiting his dad in Ardrossan at the moment.

He can’t get away from Scotland quick enough.

I will never go back there.

Hated it in 1972, Hated it in 1982/1992/2002 and 2010.

Still stuffed with idiotic religious crap.

Let it die.

15. Anthony Bermon 28 Apr 2010, 10:06pm

Some of us have no choice but to live in Ayrshire, so we have to try to improve it in what little way we can.

16. Johan Roberts. 28 Apr 2010, 10:38pm

You do have a choice.

Get out of it.

Its riddled with religious idiots.

I only got beaten up twice whilst living in it.

My own sister, “by birth and parental application a protestant”, ended up marrying a Catholic chap. Since that, I am no longer her brother. Being a poof…….

All lovely stuff.

As a humanist, I do not really want to get involved in the nonsense these people spout.

Beaten up and Hospitalized too many times to give a damn about their God stuff.

And I’m not even camp.

I have a BSc in Information Technology, gained at Hysters in Irvine, paid for by them.

A PhD in Medical Radiological Science gained at Glasgow University
    paid for by me and Student Loans in 1995.

I am security cleared to work in any MOD project.

My mother in Ayrshire worked in a supermarket doing the tills.

My father was a joiner.

Don’t faf with this excuse of no choice.

Get off your @rse and better yourself and stop blaming others.

Ayrshire attitudes are like that. They put you down…

17. He has a point though.

Political Correctness has taken over this country of ours and that is why we are in the state we are in.

I just hope that Gordon Brown faces the wrath of the voters after his blunder today afetr he spoke to the woman on immigration, that idiot just showed his true colours and it will cost him dearly., just proves what people have said all along you want to talk about immigration you get branded a biggot thats the labour goverment for you, they cant handle it when some wee old woman who has lived her life in this country pops up with the question on immigration.
    Well done to her for saying so, and god help Gordon Brown on May 6th.

18. He told STV today: “David Cameron appears to be saying there is no place in the party for anyone with Christian beliefs.”

Well, whatever Cameron appears to be saying, the fact is that homophobia is not – I say NOT – a Christian belief, and it certainly should not be a Xian teaching.

Just because gays have been intentionally left out of the history books does not mean we have not been around since the dawn of recorded history, and beyond. Our society, “queers” and all, is a replica of any society anywhere, anytime; and we are usually not the ones causing the wars.

19. ·
    Mrs Duffy put the answer before the question in the same sentence. First she says “what about all these Eastern Europeans coming here? Then says, “Where are they all coming from?” …. Eh????… Obviously the woman isn’t even listening to herself. Whoever advised the Prime Minister to go crawling back to apologise to what is clearly a bigoted woman, should be sacked forthwith.
    GB even pointed out to her during the conversation that as many Brits go to Europe as Europeans come here, which is a proven fact.
    She shut up instantly when he pointed this out and turned to walk away when he commented on the colour (red) she was wearing, and asked her how many grand children she had. The rabid media ignored these points when they thought they had a story and ran with it. Get the story right. The PM was factually correct. The woman is clearly a bigot. I wonder where she stands re queer’s………..hmmmmmmm

20. This woman is the sort of bigot who screamed about the Irish, The West Indians,Pakistanis and any other of the myriad of groups who immigrated to Britain in the last fifty years. All, including the Eastern Europeans were entitled to come here.
    She very conveniently forgets that the Brits went to all these countries origionally and pillaged them for their own ends and profit through the barrell of a gun.

21. If Cameron was to say that Xians were not welcome that would be a step forward – these weirdos should be excluded from mainstream politics and from decent society generally. There are even some god-botherers in the lgbt community, which is very worrying, if they believe they have a personal relationship with a huge old guy in robes who lives in the sky they might believe anything – get them out, I often say.

22. “Patrick” (or are you a stooge from Labour HQ?) – what the hell does Brown’s blunder have to do with this story?

As a gay man with an immigrant partner, even I can’t deny she’s right. Many areas of many cities/towns are indeed starting to resemble a “third world country” with people living in terrible slum-like living conditions crammed into run-down flats and taken advantage of by greedy landlords; english barely spoken; rising crime, etc.

She did not mention gay people, she could be ultra pro-gay or a raging homophobe or anything in-between – we simply don’t know and it’s not relevant to what’s happened. Voicing concern over immigration is not “bigoted” – I’d rather take my chances with her than some of the Islamic bigots who we aren’t allowed to criticise because it’s “racist” or “islamophobic”. You know, the same ones who are promoting beliefs that gay people should be executed under Sharia Law. Have a look at the list of countries where homosexuality is punishable by death and see what they have in common – perhaps it’s “bigotted” to point that out too.

23. Anthony Bermon 28 Apr 2010, 11:42pm

Johan – #16

I don’t remember blaming anyone for the fact I live in Ayrshire. You are right that I could choose to move if I so wished, maybe I just don’t want to. Your comments about bettering myself suggests you think that all people in Ayrshire are working-class, stupid homophobes. How would you know if I even need to better myself? I won’t try to claim that it’s a gay utopia, far from it, and I’m sorry that you had a hard time here, but you are just as prejudiced about Ayrshire folk as you say they are about gay people.

24. #22 Nothing whatever but If the law and justice racist homophobic tories make it into Downing st , what we gays will suffer wil not far from xtian sharia law.
    I did not say she said anything about gays. I wondered what her opinion of us might be. Do try reading the post. I know my journalistic skills are wanting but if you take it slowly…………
    I am not a voter in GB, I live in the north of Ireland, so am not a labour stooge,much as you are a tory stooge.
    And still you ignore the dinosaur in the corner. The woman is a bigot and a little Englander. Period.

25. It’s quite simple really.

If you vote Conservative, then you are voting against gay rights.

26. @23:

Good one. I love Ayrshire, and the people who live there are honest and friendly.

27. BlairryBoy 29 Apr 2010, 7:34am

As we say in Glasgow – Get it right round ye big man!

28. Oh dear SimonM, you and your emotional blackmail.

What a load of rubbish.

29. On the face of it Cameron seems to be chaning the party and sticking to his anti gay stance – well done – he has got rid of this guy – perhaps I may give Cameron a chance , afterall the though of waking up with another term of lab or Brown doesn’t appeal to me at all…. we do need a change

30. so another homophobe lies that it’s about all Christians and PC
    PC wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t for loonies like him

31. #25 – if you believe the story if you vote for an independant you may be voting against gay rights and anti gay comments won’t be tolerated any more in the tory party – that the gist of the story, why exactly shouldn’t we believe this or give the cons a fair go, we’ve had lab for too long and the economy is a mess , we’re effective still at war with Irag and Afghan against people’s wishes , so why reward them with another term, becuase they say they are for gay rights, isn’t that pretty selfish….We still have CP not marriages, CPs were brought in a long time after they had been a majority government, they do nothing to fight for EU recgnition of the CP apart ,they claim victory over an agreement with France to recognise the British CP yet the change in the law over there had nothing to do with them….

32. @Squidgy: you keep going on about emotional blackmail. What are you talking about?! I don’t think you know what the expression means.

33. Oooooh if you vote Tory all these terrible things will happen… blah blah blah… you voting against gay rights… blah blah blah

What utter crap!

34. @Alan, April 29, 10.14am:
    ‘why exactly shouldn’t we believe this or give the cons a fair go’

– because stories like this show that we have no reason to believe them.

‘we’ve had lab for too long and the economy is a mess’

– because of the deregulation of the banking system – something the Tories wanted and agreed with.

‘we’re effective still at war with Irag and Afghan against people’s wishes’

– two wars that the Tory party has wholeheartedly endorsed.

‘so why reward them with another term, becuase they say they are for gay rights, isn’t that pretty selfish’

– but voting for a party with a long and continuing history of opposing gay rights isn’t unselfish, it’s completely stupid.

‘We still have CP not marriages,’

– do you honestly think the Tories are going to bring in gay marriage?!

35. Squidgy – many don’t believe that the tories have changed so many expect the tories to push a homophobic and religious agenda and push equality back many many years!

36. @ charlie – April 29, 2010 @ 10:37

– because stories like this show that we have no reason to believe them.

You seem to pick and choose. So someone spoke his mind. It doesn’t represent the party your just making it into something more. It was nothing but a misguided personal view. We should never censor Freedom of Speech. It does mean things we don’t like hearing too. In any case it’s been dealt with.

Actually Tony Bliar in 1997 removed the regulations that stopped the Banks doing what they did in their downfull. Gordon Brown sold off all the gold that government usually save up in the event of a recession.

– two wars that the Tory party has wholeheartedly endorsed.

Actually they agreed on false accounts. The Iraq war was and still is illegal. It is my belief that Tony Bliar and George W. Bush should be held up at the Hague.

David Cameron has already, repeatedly, said that no gay rights will suffer with the Tories. He is doing his best to change the party. Personally I think a couple showing Freedon of Speech isn’t a crime, they’re not in charge but it shows them as human. Knowing that gay rights will not suffer I feel confident that he can concentrate on more pressing issues such as the economy, health, immigration etc.

To suggest that he will not be able to control his party is ridiculous. He is the man in charge it will be him they Have to follow. Again there is another election in 4 – 5 years time if he changes his mind. Personally I don’t think he will plus I think there are more pressing issues to deal with which means gay rights won’t be touched.

– do you honestly think the Tories are going to bring in gay marriage?!

So basically on this issue it’ll be the same as Labour then. No change. Hardly a point to dismiss the Tories when it’s the same with Labour.

Sorry Alan for piping in but just felt the need to respond.

I Thank you!

37. Chester:-

I don’t believe that, I do believe it is in Camerons best interests to keep minorities onside. That is what I believe. When I see him working hard to put his message across to LBGT people, sometimes challenged, but he does work through it.

It will be David Cameron in Charge no Chris Grayling, Not IDS. Like any Prime Minister he isn’t going to let others take control, that is what he was elected for.

That is why I don’t see any problem with going against my usual Lib Dem vote this time. This will be my 1st Tory vote in a General Election. The only other one was Our Boris and I’d vote for him again so…

38. @Squidgy: ‘So someone spoke his mind… We should never censor Freedom of Speech.’

– Agreed. It’s just that whenever Tories ‘speak their minds’ they come out with homophobic crap. Funny that. I wonder whether we can draw any conclusions from that?

‘Tony Bliar in 1997 removed the regulations that stopped the Banks doing what they did in their downfull.’

– Yes, as I said, with the full support of the Tory party. After all, the Tory party deregulated just about everything else that the state once controlled. Deregulation of the banks was entirely consistent with their ideological approach – indeed, they were surprised when Labour went ahead and did this because it was such a Conservative-style policy.

‘The Iraq war was and still is illegal.’

– Agreed. But the Conservative party has consistently supported it, regardless of the lie about WMDs.

‘David Cameron has already, repeatedly, said that no gay rights will suffer with the Tories.’

– This is a man who voted and spoke in support of Section 28, a homophobic law, and argued that Blair’s support of gay rights was a reason not to vote for him. I don’t believe a word that smug Nick Griffin lookalike says.

‘[Re gay marriage:] So basically on this issue it’ll be the same as Labour then.’

– No, similar but worse, because the Tory party is the only one of the main three that has explicitly homophobic representatives.

39. Oh well Charlie I guess the difference is I just can’t live in the past. I’m going with the future and I know it’ll be a better one.

40. On LGBT rights the Tory leader Callmedave Cameron makes all the right noises.

However Chris Grayling, Iain Duncan Smith, Julian Lewis, Philippa Stroud and Andrew Brigden’s attitudes to LGBT matters is just as vicious and stupid as the BNP’s attitudes towards race.

If you vote Tory while those neo-fascists mentioned above are still in the Conservative Party then you may as well vote for the BNP. There is little difference.

41. “Oh well Charlie I guess the difference is I just can’t live in the past. I’m going with the future and I know it’ll be a better one.”

What past??? These homophobes, like Lardner and Grayling, stated their position in the last few weeks, for heavens sake. Is there something wrong with your sense of time or are you just stupid?

Sounds like you’re the one living with the head in the sand.

42. Dean, pay no attention to him, he’s obviously a Tory troll.

Its clear regardless of manifesto promises, there is a lot of homophobic rhetoric, some disturbingly so, coming form members of the Tory party recently – much more so than all the other parties.

What worries me is what about the Tories who are smart enough to keep their homophobia out of the media? How will they chnage once in power? Politicians will always promise what they can’t deliver to get power, its life, so the silent homophobes in the Tory party will wield their influence when they get that power and the damage is done.

What’s more disturbing is there are people like this Squidgy-troll who think we’re all idiots and that its okay to ignore the obvious about this party – my god, the proof is staring at us in the face, they are a party of homophobes!

What’s the point of worrying about the economy if my hard earned money can’t be spent in a local B&B because of a bunch on draconian religious zealots? Its preposterous to suggest that discrimination is secondary to the economy.

Squidgy is a fool, or paid by the Tory party to religiously follow party propaganda!

43. Tom’s right
    Squidgy – it’s easy so say stuff but many won’t or don’t practise what they preach

44. Mihangel apYrs 29 Apr 2010, 1:14pm

what doesn’t this moron understand:

Cameron is working his butt off trying to market the Tories as a new cuddly, inclusive gay-friendly party. Whether he is believed or not is neither here nor there, but the last thing he needs is an un-reconstructed old-morality Xian tory coming along and knocking down his rather fragile facade.

PS I wonder why this wasn’t splashed over the front pages: not many parties suspend candidates this close to an election without being questioned about it!

45. Since he’s endlessly posting soggy nonsense on these pages, I thought I’ld look up “Squidgy” in the dictionary. It says:

Squidgy:
    1. Short and plump; podgy.
    2. Moist and pliant; squashy, soggy. Especially of food.

46. silly billy 29 Apr 2010, 2:55pm

*36; Squirty is at it again. Check out your history not your hysteria:-
    The deregulation of the banking industry in the UK in 1987 resulted in banks and building societies competing with each other on the whole range of financial services. Many building societies (such as Halifax and Abbey National) subsequently demutualised and converted to banks owned by shareholders. This in turn resulted in a number of mergers and takeovers and enabled the long established banks to benefit from the specialist products, services, and customer base of the former building societies. Demutualised insurance companies were also bought by these larger banks but still trade under their own name.”

Fact not fiction is helpful. GB tried to bring back some regulatory force but the Tories did not support this. Thatcher deregulated, increased the (deregulated) free market, followed Adam Smith thinking, got rid of regulations that might have had some effect on this lates global financial disaster. Where have you been? Duuuhhh, you are not only daft, but arrogant too, and apparently unable to check out your hypothesese.

47. CArl Rowlands 29 Apr 2010, 6:22pm

Bird Brain!

48. Never mind the fact that some Christian branches actually accept, not just ‘tolerate’, LGBT people.

49. Pinhead.

50. “I want gay rights. I want progress in my partnership rights. I equality. I deserve them as a human being, its not an entitlement. I do not want stagnation, as promised by Cameron!
    What’s the point of worrying about the economy if my hard earned money can’t be spent in a local B&B because of a bunch on draconian religious zealots?”

Totally agree, Tom. I DESPISE discrimination (of all kinds) and I don’t see how a society can progress when some of its members are treated as second class.

51. Tom, welcome to this forum! Well said!