Catholic bishops urge followers not to vote for gay-friendly candidates

1. The sheep/followers would of done this anyway!

2. In other words the catholic cult wants people to vote for candidates sympathetic to the catholic cult’s position.

How many candidates are openly going to say that they believe that industrial scale, child sexual abuse over generations is something they approve of.

The paedophile protectors of the catholic hierarchy can suck my fat one (then again I am almost 34 so obviously waaaaaaaaay too old for those pigs!)

3. Given all the hate that spews out of these vile XIANS.

Whenever I see the cross, I now see it is a symbol of division and hatred.

These people are killing their own religion and they don’t see it.

4. Ah well, at least it helps to know one’s enemy. It is a pity that all of the main parties are pandering to the god-bothering lobby. but we should remember two things –
    1. people don’t necessarily do what their religious leaders tell them and
    2. we should not attack people just because they are Catholic (as poor old Abi does regularly; and “would of”, how unpleasant, surely “would have”; the real Abi1975, who used to have a link to her facebook account, would never come away with the sectarian and sexist rubbish this imposter Abi does) but expose the attacks of the Catholic Church on our human rights. I’ve already told my prefered candidate that I will not be voting for him because of his support for taxpayer’s money being spent on the Pope’s visit.

5. I never knew the Roman bishops were so omniscient that they knew how everyone’s parents and grandparent voted. Rome really should stay out of other people’s national politics. Fortunately I suspect most catholics pay little attention to being told what to do by bishops. It may even have the opposite effect than intended.

6. The arrogance of these women hating kiddie fiddling bastards is mind blowing. Where have these bigots spent the last eight years . Do they think that the denials emanating from the arch paedo protector in Rome, Joe Ratzinger is the truth?……
    Do they think that being brazen will somehow bring the “sheep” flocking back to them so they can carry on with their abuse as if we were still in the 50s.? I think this will rebound on them spectacularly
    when their followers realise that these bigots still think they can rant from the altar as to how a “free” people should use their vote. Then again their followers are badly deluded believers of a cruel myth.

7. Tim Hopkins 22 Apr 2010, 12:56pm

In the Scottish Govt’s Scottish Social Attitudes Survey, people were asked if they agree or disagreed with “Same-sex couples should be able to marry”. Amongst Catholics, only 33% disagreed.

So the main effect of the Church hierarchy telling Catholics to vote against MPs who supported civil partnership is likely to be to further highlight the gap between the hierarchy’s homophobia, and the much more pro-equality views of most Catholics. Many Catholics will no doubt think “Why should I vote against my MP, whose other policies I support, just because he voted for civil partnership, when I have no problem with civil partnership myself?”

8. I am in contact with the editor of PinkNews and she can confirm my email and IP address has stayed the same. My blogg is no longer running, because LGBTory took exception of my views on people like P Stroud (my abuser) and other homophobic and transphobic Tory MPs. They got Google to close it down.

But that’s the CONservative party for you, anti free speech!

Now run along little troll and become Julian again or one of the other names you use to racily attack Sister Mary Clarence with.

9. Tim Hopkins 22 Apr 2010, 1:06pm

If you want to read the whole bishops’ statement, it is here.

It is perhaps indicative of the differences between the attitudes of the England/Wales Catholic bishops and the Scottish ones, that today the former have issued a statement apologising for the child abuse involving Church personnel around the world, while all the latter can manage is yet another statement of outrageous homophobia. The Scottish bishops’ priorities are in entirely the wrong places, and that will be the view of many Catholics too.

10. Tim Hopkins makes some telling points – but are LGBT groups urging voters to tell their candidates that they will not be voting for them if they support taxpayer’s money being spent on the Pope’s visit? Taxpayer funding for the promotion of homophobia should surely be challenged?

11. Mihangel apYrs 22 Apr 2010, 1:19pm

if they want to engage in politics they should pay tax (as a Church)

12. This is as near to true evil as I have seen. I repeat that gay catholics, who haven”t the moral compass to see the institution for what it is and leave it, should be treated with absolute contempt.

13. Its about time we disestablished state religion altogether and ban funding of catholic schools at tax payers’ expense. How dare they interfere in the political system. They need to be put in their place and told to cease and desist in no uncertain terms. They’re getting out of control and its time it stopped, permanently. Their arrogance is astounding. If I had my way, I’d ban all of the cults.

14. No one cares what these evil queens say; everyone knows where they’re coming from – straight out a public convenience usually.

15. “The Congregation for the Deformation, Persecution and Punishment of Unholy Homosexuals” is alive and well with the directions from the Arch Homophobe of Rome Himself! HOW many more bad publicity items does the Vatican want? Does it realise its becoming even more unpopular with each Evil “pontification”? About time to announce the arrival of the Naziantichrist I fear!

16. Rats! “Rev” Iain Paisley has retired! Whats the point of having an Anti Catholic bigot when you can’t use him to insult the pope anymore!!!!

17. Har Davids 22 Apr 2010, 3:23pm

The church cannot tell voters who to vote for but ‘just’ urges them to make the right choice. Yeah, right!!!! The message is brought to you by Catholic Church aka Kiddie Fiddlers International.

18. douglas in canada 22 Apr 2010, 3:24pm

I’m surprised that the catholic church has the nerve to tell anyone what ‘proper’ behaviour is.

Diddling kids, then when they’re found out, the boss moves you and you start all over again, and the kids are sworn to secrecy for fear of burning eternally in hell? This church is an embarrassment to any thinking society. It is immoral and has no ethics.

It’s interesting that they don’t tell people to avoid supporting anyone who is a practicing paedophile/ephebophile. I guess we know where their priorities are. And now we also know why they promoted not using birth control – more kids equals more fun in the confessional. F—ing bunch of pervs. Let the church die a quick death and spare us all.

19. David....Chester 22 Apr 2010, 3:25pm

Joe Ratzinger is coming to the UK, we are paying for this vile man to come here, if anyone else spouted on as he does about Homosexuality being evil they would be banned from entering Gt Britain.
    He should be told to go to another God fearing country and preach his vitriolic comments, but then again how many take notice of this old fool really any more, we are witnessing the slow suicide of this over pampered group of men that believe in something without one shred of actual proof.
    Vot with your convictions, not because some lying old man told you to

20. douglas in canada 22 Apr 2010, 3:29pm

[When this church finally closes, can someone tell me when the auction is? There are a couple dresses that I have my eyes on!! Perfect for a night out on the town. And no doubt there would be some ‘wonderful’ paraphernalia in some of those basements – I know my playbuddies would enjoy some new adventures!!]

21. Jean-Paul, Canada 22 Apr 2010, 4:03pm

@11:

I could not have put it more succinctly.

22. This is why total separation of church and state are so important. Otherwise we’ll end up living in a fundie christian commune of a country.

23. They just don’t get it do they? Who listens to them now?

24. Well done the catholic sect in Scotland for shooting yourself in the foot!I do not need an established ‘church’ telling me who to support,or not to support.I am more than happy to go with my own concience,and if I’m at all able to participate in any suggested demos during Ratzinger’s ‘jolly’ to the UK in september then I will be there,god willing!Yes,I did say god willing as I’m talking about a god who loves me for who I am,not the god those paedo’ protecting bigots proclaim to serve!

25. BrazilBoysBlog 22 Apr 2010, 8:14pm

These kiddie fiddlers are hardly in a position to lecture anyone else on morals? Surely they should just shut up and keep their heads down now?

26. AnthonyBermon 22 Apr 2010, 8:37pm

The problem is that Scottish politicians, of all parties, give religious bigots like the catholic bishops more attention than they deserve. You’ve got to ask yourself why the catholic church in Scotland now no longer urges its followers to vote Labour, like it used to do, but instead urges them to vote SNP.

27. …to support marriage and the family…
    How does supporting pro-gay marriage candidates contradict this? It seems to me that it’s a good idea to support marriage and the family for everyone, not just for some.

28. Vicki Morley 22 Apr 2010, 9:28pm

The church can urge its followers to vote according to its faith, just as any pro-gay/LGBT group can urge its followers to vote according to their sexuality.

In honest, I don’t see why this is a news story.

The point of an election is that everyone votes according to their own personal beliefs. And atheism is as much a belief as theism.

29. Jarrell – In part I agree with you. Theism is as much a belief as atheism. But there’s also a little something called separation of the Church from the State. Call me crazy, but that’s the fundamental doctrine of the democratic society that we enjoy today. If any political or macroeconomic decision including the votes cast during elections were to have a religious undertone, we might as well go back to the dark ages when it was heresy to contradict the Church and continue believing that the Earth is flat.

30. Oops…I meant to direct my comment to Vicki not Jarrell. My apologies. (It’s been a long day!)

P.S – Is it a co-incidence that my captcha text is “the Lubed” ;-)

31. Vicki Morley 22 Apr 2010, 10:43pm

I totally agree about the Church and State being separate on an official level. The state shouldn’t have a religious opinion or bias.

But I do believe that everyone should be entitled to vote on whatever motives they choose.

I guess you have to draw the line between Church and faith. The church shouldn’t be able to affect an election more than any other official body – but a person’s vote is a part of who they are and we have to respect that a Christian faith may be part of that.

32. Why is that the Catholic Church insists in digging its own grave ? As an atheist this shouldn’t bother me, I hold nothing but contempt for the Catholic Church, but I can’t avoid thinking of all the good and innocent people whose lives are destroyed every day by this evil cult !! Some of the parts of this message make me want to puke !! What do these people think they know about morality ? They know nothing !!

33. All I can and will say to these Bishops: keep your child-abusing noses out of MY right to vote for whom and what I want and desire! I will rather, and will do so, for an openly gay candidate then to listen to a protector of a child-abuser, were the credits of ALL RCBishops has been gone!

34. As if these men should do anything but hide in shame and do penance for the debacle they have allowed to happen. Their LEAST worry should be who runs the country next. If they truly believe in a God, I would be worrying what He (or She) thinks about the mass rapes of children, the abuse of little kids in Canada and Ireland…I am not particularly child-oriented but hearing some of the stories makes me want to cry. No child anywhere should ever have been subjected to the physical, mental, emotional, and sexual abuse that so many have suffered at the hands of those who should have cared for them. Imagine being some poor parent who gave their child or children to the care of the Church because they could not care for them themselves finding out all these years later that all this happened to their kids.

Just because these a$$clowns really get to me, I would vote for everyone they are against!

35. so, the people who have all the pedophiles are telling people how to vote. they try to do the same thing here in the states. why should their opinions be trusted?

36. Tim Hopkins 23 Apr 2010, 9:54am

Vicki, it’s a news story because it’s important for us to know what the Catholic Church hierarchy, which has considerable political clout in Scotland (much more so than in England) is saying on these issues, and what it is doing in the way of political activism on these issues.

In Scotland, it often seems like homosexuality, and in particular, opposing LGB and T equality, is one of the top priorities for the Catholic Church hierarchy. And that seems important to LGBT people because 15% of the population are Catholic, and some of the big political parties here often seem to be keen to grab what they appear to think of as “the Catholic vote” (which I would suggest does not exist as such).

37. Paul Brownsey 23 Apr 2010, 12:10pm

Glasgow University is about to award an honorary degree to Archbishop Mario Conti of Glasgow, one of the bishops behind this move and someone who has a long history of homophobic stances. The Students’ Representative Council at Glasgow University is protesting strongly against this and some members of the staff LGBT network are, too.

If there are any GU alumni who read this board, I urge you to make your feelings known to GU. Its development and alumni office at ‘campaign@gla.ac.uk’ may be a place to start.

Paul Brownsey

38. For all their vulgar pretensions I noticed St Mary’s Cathedral wasn’t exactly filled to capacity Easter Sunday in Edinburgh. Honestly, I don’t know why they bother saying mass in English anymore; just say it in Polish and be done with it. Of course, it’s not the grotesque in a mitre or the ordinary cock sucking priest ministering in the gents we should be concerned about but rather nefarious catholic organisations such as Opus Dei that should be strictly monitored.

39. Lot of bile and polemic on here people. Paul what do you think yo know about Opus Dei? We don’t know the extent of the Popes mismanagement of these child abuse scandals. What we do know is that unlike one of our youth orgs the man at the top was part of a network which may prove yet to be an infiltration of our ranks.

40. Sorry the man at the top was not a paedophile unlike Rennie!