Exclusive: Conservatives to erase convictions for historic gay sex offenses

1. That must be the first pro-active policy the Tories come up with Re gay rights. While it is something that needs doing, it is not at the top of the list of priorities though… tokenism?

2. dave wainwright 10 Apr 2010, 4:11pm

How desperate is this man ? seems like he will promise the earth for each and every vote , however people that hone their killing instincts on defenceless wild animals won’t be getting my vote , neither have I forgotten the damage done to our gay communities and the insult we endured by his party with clause 28 , they cannot be believed nor trusted .

3. If Mr Cameron is serious then his party will meet with me and take evidence of the horrific evangelical Christian ‘therapy/cure’ Phillipa Stroud (Tory candidate for Sutton and Cheam) subjected me to because I was trans. Maybe they would like to see the three inch scar on my wrist caused by the self hate her and her Christian friends in Newfrontiers instilled in me during this so called ‘therapy/cure’. I am sure they would then be without a doubt she has no place as a candidate for parliament.

4. Well done Dave Cameron, unfortunately, I want to see Chris Grayling’s head, on a pole, on Tower Bridge, before I’ll vote for you !

5. Jack Holroyde 10 Apr 2010, 5:05pm

Another desperate, cynical attempt to win votes.
    He must think that the LGBT community is utterly stupid – to just say ‘well, we’ll throw something nice at the queers, it’ll make them forget Grayling, my votes against the Single Equalities Act, our MEPs siding with Neo-nazi’s, my vote against the repeal of section 28 & the introduction of the same clause. They know as well as I do that it’s our time to govern’
    What a slimey lying bag.

Abi, I suggest you get in touch with Paul Burstow.
    Keep the tories out of Sutton – Paul & Tom Brake are doing a great job in Sutton & Carshalton!

6. So, PinkNews tells us, in their eternal effort to try and convinced us that Cameron loves all LGBTs (despite his complete unmasking in the GayTimes video the other week) that Cameraon has said:

“But have no fear: the Party has changed, the changes we have made are supported by those serving in my team and those changes are lasting”.

Oh, right, OK, Mr. Cameron, we will all automatically believe you. You tell us to “Have no fear” and so we will not.

WHAT KIND OF IDIOTS DO THE TORIES THINK WE ARE?

“Don’t worry, liddle darlings, vote Conservative and everything will be all right. Just trust us! I know I have been doing a complete hokey-cokey on gay rights issues ever since I entered parliament and I have been exposed on camera as not knowing what the hell I think on LGBT issues unless I have the right script in front of my nose, but please just have no fear. Trust me, OK?”

NEVER EVER trust ANYONE who has done no more to gain your confidence IN PRACTICE AND OVER A LONG PERIOD OF TIME than simply say, “Trust me!” Every sales person in history has uttered that line in order to get a sale!

“Is is a GOOD car, sir? Of course it is, sir! Just TRUST ME! Now, please sign here.”

One of those cunning beggars on the streets of London comes up to you and tells you a hard-luck story and how he desperately needs £10. What does he say, “Please, just TRUST ME!”

So, what have we got from the Tories so far?

* £3 a week if we are poor and in a CP (and this has only been promised because under the law what they give to married persons in this regard must also be offered to persons in CPs)

* the comparatively small number of LGBTs who have a historic sex offence on their records will be freed of them

* and “Trust me!”

That’s all we’ve got! Oh, and, yes, the possibility of being turned away like diseased dogs when we appear as couples on the front steps of B&Bs.

We all forwarded PinkNews many very important questions to put to Call-Me-Dave several weeks ago. Where are the answers to THOSE questions?

7. He;s damned if he does and damned if he doesnt with you bunch.

He does something positive and still gets slated.

You’d rather ther tories had homophobic polices i take it

8. Congratulations conservatives!
    Labour had years to do this and couldn’t be bothered

Whether or not you like the conserves, this is morally right and uncriticizable

9. Dear Dave
    My vote is NOT for sale!

10. Jeez if David Cameron got down on his knees and blew a guy the LGBT brigade on this site still wouldn’t be pleased. He’s doomed either way really. Dunno why he bothers trying to please everyone, it clearly doesn’t work.

11. Well said Gemma and Tigra. It may not be the World but it is a step in the right direction. Eddy, I do trust David Cameron and finally Andy, nobody’s vote is for sale, make your choice.

12. Thanks for putting it like it is, Eddy! Shameful! He’s ignored nearly all the tough questions. And in substance all he’s offering is the £3 a week if you’re poor and in a CP, a clean slate to the small number with a gay sex offence, and endless repetitions of “Trust me!” Shameful!

We gave him a chance. We gave him some tough questions and most of them have been ignored.

13. this is good for those who were persecuted and turned into criminals by previous tory governments in the past. but what about all the important issues of today, like equality. Or does he still think its okay for people to discriminate against us because of their beliefs? what has he said about those christian b and b owners? nothing. why? because he and his party agree with them.
    gay men and women are now seen as second class citizens in the eyes of the tory party. which is better than what they used to think of us – criminals.

14. PinkPolitico 10 Apr 2010, 6:30pm

Actions speak louder than words and the Tory record of homophobia speaks for itself. Are we really expected to believe that the “nasty party” has so radically changed in such a short space of time?! If you were to believe the clever spin put out by “call me dave” and the handful of Tory apologists on this site, you would think that Tory bigotry was ancient history! Don’t be taken in by this nonsense. The Tories will never be natural allies of the LGBT community. They don’t instincively understand the importance of equality. Rather, this man is willing to say literally anything to get elected.

Remember – the best result the Tories can hope for on May 6th is a small majority meaning a government dependent on the votes of the hard right which makes up the vast majority of the Tory backbenches. Therefore Cameron will not be in a position to deliver on gay equality issues even if one is gullible enough to believe that he would want to.

15. dave wainwright “How desperate is this man ?… neither have I forgotten the damage done to our gay communities and the insult we endured by his party with clause 28″

Cameron was principally asked what he could do on this very website, and that was question number one. He is now pledging to fix it. That is more than that one-eyed f_cking chocolate teapot currently sitting in office has ever offered to LGBT people.

16. Is Pink News misrepresenting this and giving The Chinless One an easy ride ? The headline says “to quash convictions for gay sex offences” but in fact the body of the article says that convictions for consensual gay sex that would now (i.e. thanks to Labour Party law reform) be legal will be treated as ‘spent’.

Not quashed, just regarded as out of date. But the actual changes to the law, like equal age of consent, were opposed all the way along by the Tories, and even this reform simply grabs at a proposal already made to the Home Office under Labour.

I have to note, Cameron didn’t specifically answer the question – will you quash old convictions for gross indecency and give automatic pardons – he said ‘where the activity has since become lawful’ he’d treat it as ‘spent. The two things are different.

17. DavidW: Of course they are different. THE LAW IS NOT RETROACTIVE.
    No matter what crime you have committed, the transgression cannot be revoked. It is literally, history. However, the record and it’s post-committal effects can be. Neither Cameron, Brown, the Queen, God or even Tony Blair invoking the Parliament act can change that. It is in the United Kingdom’s statute.

What he is offering is a waiver of all it’s effects, so the record could not be used in CRB or reference checks.

18. The Tories already had my vote but this just increases there worth. Nice one Dude Dave C!! You Get my Cross!!

19. Squidge: I don’t think there was ever a doubt there! x

20. Just read many other forums, other than Pink News, and you’ll soon realise what the core Tory voters think about gay equality. They’re nasty nasty nasty. As nasty as ever. They are the ones pulling the strings, not Mr Puppet Chameleon. Section 28 version 2 is just waiting around the corner.

21. Evan Harris MP 10 Apr 2010, 10:15pm

I have been President of Lib Dems for LGBT Equality since 1998 and followed this issue. The Lib Dems tabled amendments to erase convictions and to end sex offenders registration requirements for decriminalised acts this after age of consent was equalised and then again during passage of 2003 Sexual Offences Bill, but my amendments were blocked by Labour and Tory. So we had 6 years 1997-2003 of continued criminalisation of consensual gay sex under Labour and since 2003 Labour and Tory have ruined lives by not erasing convictions for victimless crimes. Lets have an apology from both shall we?

22. Good evening Evan. Nice to see someone in the game willing to stick his head above the parapet.

Has to be said though, 2003 was a long time ago in politics, what has been proposed since?

23. @21, Evan, it seems the perfect time to get what we want. Cameron is obviously now pretty desperate. The LibDems have a list of wishes (same as Stonewall). I’d never heard about the gay sex convictions stuff, but seems a great time to get firm committments on all these things. There’s 3 weeks to go, grab the important parts, squeeze and don’t let go.

How / Who does about this? Stonewall?

24. Nice try, “Desperate” Dave – it won’t fool me. Enuff said!

25. Jean-Paul Bentham 10 Apr 2010, 11:21pm

@6 Eddy:

I’m with you!

@ 21 Evan:

Stick around!! More, more, more

26. One of the least kept secrets is Stonewall are in the Conservatives pockets thanks to Ben Summerskill. Smmerskill was on facebook a few weeks back taunting people by posting.

“some gays are Tory get over it”

Summerskill has made it clear who he supports now!

I’m guessing he got his tongue surgically removed from Harmans backside and attached to her Tory counterpart. Still Ben would do anything to get that peerage!

27. Abi1975,
    Well that is most distressing to hear. The sorts of people who should be running those organisations should not have any of their personal failings influence their professional positions.
    I once met Angela Mason and she didn’t try to pin a rosette on me :-)

28. You already said this in Cameron’s interview… And again on giving the Tories a second chance. And now again?

What, pro-gay news from the Tories so rare that Pink News has to repeat them to try and give them impression that the Tories are not the party of homophobia?

29. Gay Activist Paul Mitchell 11 Apr 2010, 6:33am

I welcome this decision, but for a “Conservative Tory” to have this idea just sounds like a hoax [in my personal opinion]!!!!

30. Gay Activist Paul Mitchell 11 Apr 2010, 6:49am

The age of consent for heterosexual sex was always set at 16 since 1886. Lesbianism was never legal or acknowledged under law in the UK (so in turn the age of consent for lesbians was always set at 16 as well). In 1967 under the Sexual Offences Act 1967 the age of consent for gay men was set at 21 (this only applied to Wales and England). In 1994 under the Criminal Violent Disorder Act 1994 the age of consent was lowered to 18 for gay men. Then FINALLY in 2000 the age of consent for gay men was lowered in line with heterosexual and lesbianism to 16 under the Sexual Offences (Amendment) Act 2000.

Then in 2003 all sexual offences were consolidated into one form of legislation under the UK Sexual Offences Act 2003 – which also deleted ALL references to “buggery”, “sodomy”, “gay sex”, gross indecency”, ‘homosexual sex”, “homosexual intercourse” and “male to male sex” [sic]. These references were all replaced with “person”, “person(s)” or “group or persons” in a gender-neutral language.

However in 2010 people still have criminal records that say “buggery” or “gross indecency” [etc] – these must be fully deleted in their criminal records right now so they can work without being embarrassed or humiliated when employers or bosses go snooping around looking at their records!!!!

31. Gay Activist Paul Mitchell 11 Apr 2010, 7:01am

Sorry I got the name of the 1994 Act wrong -

It was called the “Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994″.

32. Rob-N says:

“How f_cking bitter and blinkered is this man? Section 28 was thirty years ago. Move on, for Christ’s sake!”

33. Mark: “How conveniently blinkered of you to forget that it is less than seven less since David Cameron voted against the repeal of Section 28.”

Well by my reckoning, Labour has been in for 13 years, so Cameron wasn’t even responsible for it’s anullment. But, how come it took Labour and their “LGBT friendly manifesto” another six years before they pulled their fat fingers out and lifted it?
    It’s not like there were enough other seats to veto the change either.

34. Rob-N or RobN (by the way, why the change?), you keep saying you’re a UKIP supporter. I don’t see you telling us what good things your UKIP leader is going to deliver to LGBTs.

Might that be because they are going to deliver NOTHING?

35. Found this buried in the comments of an old story – PinkNews doesn’t think it worthy of proper coverage.

Letter to Pinknews from Martin Popplewell who interviewed David Cameron for GT magazine.

Hi Ben hope you are well. I’ve just been reading the comment piece on pinknews and was concerned about the reporting of the GT interview.

We advised DC’s press team 10 days before the interview that we would like to film it. As soon as he sat down to do the interview the 3 cameras present would have made it clear that we were filming. Before we started there was no request to just do a press interview. It was only when he started floundering on a number of issues – not just the Lithuania vote – that he then tried to wriggle out of the situation with the “thoughtful print interview” line. This has been the line from Conservative HQ after the interview and has been appearing on a number of Conservative blogs but I think the reality is they’ve been trying to find a way to explain away an interview which went badly.

On the Lithuanian vote. It’s wrong to focus on the fact that David Cameron didn’t know about the vote. The fact was that not one of his MEPs voted the right way to condemn a piece of legislation that Amnesty International had raised concerns about. MEPs from both the Labour and Liberal Democrats had voted against the legislation.

After the interview we were told that Conservative MEPs wouldn’t vote on a nation state’s domestic issues – hence the Conservative decision to abstain. This is simply not true. A month after the Lithuanian vote the Conservative group themselves tabled a motion regarding Italy and press freedom. This was confirmed by Cathy Newman at Channel 4 News. So the Conservatives do vote on other nation state’s domestic issues but only when they choose to do so. On this occasion they choose not to despite the concerns of Amnesty International. This says something about the priority that the Conservatives put on gay issues when they think they’re not being watched. It’s something I’m sure your readers would care about.

At the moment it appears that the interview we did – which raised legitimate questions about the Conservatives commitment to LGBT issues – is being dismissed with lines spun by the Conservative Press Office. I’m sure you wouldn’t want that to be the case.

Is there any chance we could have the above comments reflected on your website. It would also be appreciated if your team could take on board the above when covering the GT interview in the future.

Kind regards

Martin

36. Jonty: “Rob-N or RobN (by the way, why the change?), you keep saying you’re a UKIP supporter. I don’t see you telling us what good things your UKIP leader is going to deliver to LGBTs. Might that be because they are going to deliver NOTHING?”

I changed the name because my original one was hijacked by some cretin on here purporting to be me.

As for UKIP, frankly, I don’t know, and don’t really care about their LGBT manifesto. Unlike many on here, I think I do not set a high priority on gay issues, as I feel we have got pretty well everything we wanted over the last 30-odd years. For me the key factor is getting the hell out of the EU, and as none of the big three are willing to consider it, my options were either UKIP or the BNP. I think even the BNP have a few interesting ideas, but on the whole, they are way too over the top, so it was never a serious consideration.

The trouble with so many of the LGBT politicos on here is they see this whole election as being about how gay friendly a party is. Frankly, I don’t see the Tories as either gay friendly, or homophobic. I just think they are practical enough to realise there a lot more pressing issues like immigration, crime, education and health than worry about a bunch of whinging queens going on about a f_cking bed and breakfast.

37. #34 He changed it because he was banned as Rob-N for racist abuse. It is not possible to use anothers tag as Pink News have ones e.mail address.End of…….

38. always thought PinkNews was a LGBT site not part of the Tory party propaganda machine!

But it seems I was very wrong :(

39. I see Abi1975 is spamming every page on here. Bad form.
    That’s a quick way to get banned.

40. When did PinkNews become a front-end for Conservative HQ?

41. Of the 15 stories appearing on the front page of Pink News, 12 are about the Tory Party.

Yet Pink News claims not to be biased.

How stupid do the editors and reporters regard us?

42. its the ‘trailing’ of all the stories thats getting daft:

theres an ‘exclusive’ that someone in the tory party is going to meet with Tatchell
    then theres a story about the meeting
    then a story about the meeting from Tatchell

does it really take 3 stories on the same day to cover 1 meeting?