Troops ask how repeal of gay ban will affect them

1. ChutneyBear 8 Apr 2010, 12:17pm

Came across a great quote which is very relevant

“When I was in the military, they gave me a medal for killing two men and a discharge for loving one.”

—Tombstone of Leonard Matlovich (1943–1988)

Again fair enough lift the ban, maybe create a gay infantry unless we can change the attitude of servicemen and women and I have to laugh, in between two wars? The Yanks started both!

2. chutney – the yanks didn’t start the wars. an islamic saudi prince called osama, and his army of middle eastern muslims started the last two wars.
    and to suggest a gay only infantry is like suggesting a black only infantry, a jewish only infantry…..its homophobic.
    gay people should be allowed to serve alongside any other citizen of the USA and should have the same rights as any other citizen. fullstop.

3. ChutneyBear 8 Apr 2010, 1:15pm

First off… I was being tongue in cheek sarcastic with the reference to a seperate infantry and secondly what in the name of hell has shooting Reuters journalists, raping the locals, bombing a wedding, arresting innocent locals and handing big contracts to American companies got to do with Osama and his mates carrying out 9/11. If as you are suggesting that the only way to find one man is to carpet bomb a couple of mountains and decimate lots of sheep in the search for Osama then the action is completley disproportinate. Its like using a nuclear weapon to kill a fly….end of rant.

PS I agree they should be able to serve openly in the military alongside their colleagues

4. Mihangel apYrs 8 Apr 2010, 1:43pm

(sigh)
    to re-iterate the 3 points of significance:
    1) US soldiers (etc) know they serve with gays (and often know who)
    2) US soldiers regularly serve with out gay military in NATO theatres
    3) Being known to be gay doesn’t lead to discharge if they need you enough. They will however discard you afterwards (if you survive)

THREE issues were hypocrisy seems to win out…

5. They already do sleep, eat, wash, change, work, fight and die alongside homosexual soldiers. They need to get that into their bigoted heads. Maybe they are just scared they will be tempted to try the fruit from the other tree! If so the should come out of the closet already.

6. @ No2:

Last time I checked, Osama wasn’t a sovereign country. So technically speaking, the US did start the war with the invasion of the two countries.

And why is all this talk necessary? Aren’t they in a bit of a hurry because of the elections? Or can Obama repeal this ban himself with some sort of an executive order? Can someone clarify this for me?

7. The Grinch 8 Apr 2010, 5:18pm

I am immediately volunteering to demonstrate to 350 soldiers how a lifting of the gay ban could affect them.
    I’ll even bring my own lube…

8. The Grinch – if sites like activeduty.com are anything to go by they’re already more than up to speed.

9. Jennifer Hynes 9 Apr 2010, 8:54am

When I was on HMS Illustrious in 2000, I was “invited” to a Leading Hands meeting in the wardroom to discuss the Royal Navy’s decision to allow gay sailors to remain in the service. It was hosted by the the supply officer, a solicitor.

The men, a you might imagine, were full of jokes and surprisingly good natured about it all. The women though, were vicious and condemnatory, which surprised me no end, for multiple reasons which I won’t go into.

The problem seemed to focus on the availability of men for the serving women… you figure it all out.

I also served alongside a steward with about 20 years service. He came out as gay to the supply officer in 1993. He disappeared from the ship that night, and was out of the service in two days.

It ruins lives, the US military should get its act together and understand it is living in the 21st century now, and gay soldiers, sailors and airmen (yes, yes, and women) are just as talented and driven, brave and professional as their breeding counterparts.

10. Sorry, this is rather at a tangent – but Jay (#2), are you for real? What exactly did Osama (never a prince, by the way) have to do with the 2003 invasion of Iraq? Do you think all Arabs are one and the same or something?

11. ChutneyBear 9 Apr 2010, 12:22pm

@Jennifer Interesting story…did you ever find out what happened to him?

12. The way it used to happen when I was in the RAF is CIB turn up go through all the squadrons personal stuff looking for evidence of homosexuality.

A guy in my flight got kicked out for having a pair of tights that he used in the cold weather. He got a good beasting then kicked out for being a transvestite. he was not of course he just felt the cold weather more than most of us thats all.

I am sure CIB miss those days the B@*#@*ds